HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Kyle Calder [Merged]

Old
11-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
All Things Kyle Calder [Merged]

He is not a big guy. Nor is he small.

He is not a fast guy. But, he's not slow.

He doesn't have a great shot...he doesn't have a bad shot.

He isn't a great passer...although he isn't a poor passer.

He doesn't make the big hits. He does hit once in a while.

He doesn't have a lot of moves. He has some.

He isn't very vocal. He does talk though.

He doesn't have a lot moments...but, there are a few.

We appreciate you Kyle.

We appreciate the lunch box and hard hat style you bring to the ice.

Keep up the great...er...good...keep it up buddy. You're doing fine.

Last edited by Zad: 11-13-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:23 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
So he's perfectly mediocre?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

He's doing very well with Kopi and Brownie.

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:30 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I must say I wasn't a fan and still prefer we had someone else on that line. At the same time since coming back from being scratched he has been doing an admirable job and that line finally has started to click and Brown/Kopitar are producing.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I prefer we had someone else on the line but I like him more than others tried in the past other than Sully. I think either Sully, Moller, Frolov, or Stoll would be better suited for the line but since I have no call over that I must just accept that Calder has been one of the better ones at the position so far. I can certainly see why he is on the line and why Murray uses him. Since he is a logical guy where everything has to make sense to some certain order our top line now features a very talented young goal scoring power forward, an extremely talented young playmaker, and a veteran grinder that plays hard in front of the crease and screens. His job is to make it easier for Kopi and Brown to connect.

I have to admit I never noticed his speed until Murray pointed it out, although I knew Calder was decent along the Boards. I would still like to see Frolov at the position and Sully on the second line and Calder down on the grinder line with Zeus and Simmonds, but I will take what I can get, especially with the team performing so well. Go Kings!

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 08:54 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

O.k. Zad,

I guess I have to bring my cent-and-a-half over to this thread as I cant help but think it was my post on another thread that germinated the idea in your loins for you to express your Calder man crush!

Yes even I, an acknowledged Calder basher, must accept that he is contributing to the team right now. But at what cost? He is not a top line player, and he never was. This is a DL UFA signing failure. As I said elsewhere, he is a bridge to nowhere!!! Worse still, every person on this board, except maybe PC Load, knows who has the rightful claim to playing the wing that Calder now occupies on the first line, even if our coach doesnt see it that way. (He will come around on Sully, just like he did with Labs and the ICEBERG)

Yes Calder has some speed, so did I once. Craig (high-and-wide) Johnson had speed too, and they both put it to about the same amount of use. (I, of course, didnt put it to any use--unless rec league counts, and it doesnt, I know.)

Calder cant seem to do much with the puck in open ice, and if he could, that would open things up just that bit more needed for Kopitar to become a scoring machine again. He also lacks the deft hands that a player needs to play with Kopitar and Brown when stationed around the net. How many more points would Kopi and Brownie have if O'sullivan had the opportunity to convert some of those passes that Calder has fumbled away or shot wide?

Calder is making 2.75 million, just a tad under what O'Sullivan had to hold out for. Is there any real comparison between the two? Does Calder have any future with this team? Or are we just showcasing him for increased trade value at the deadline? Because, although he may be contributing now, we all know that putting Sully on that first line and leaving him there to gel once again is what this offense needs to start humming along. And isn't developing that chemistry what this rebuild is all about.

So put the Calder man crush away, Zad. Diary its return for late February when Calder's return and contribution to this team can be measured by the prospect or draft pick we acquire for him once he is dealt at the deadline, assuming there are any takers at that time!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
DeeMeck

I had a dream last night we traded him to Dallas for a 2nd.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:30 PM
HeadInjury

They just aren't using him properly. They keep giving him the puck in the crease with a wide open net. That just isn't his forte.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Saevel

I like him, but he's not a first line player. Sully is. Just put Calder on the 3rd or 4th line instead.

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelo View Post
I had a dream last night we traded him to Dallas for a 2nd.
HaHa, if only that dream would come true

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
They just aren't using him properly. They keep giving him the puck in the crease with a wide open net. That just isn't his forte.

I had a hockey stick, skates and a uniform. Now if I only had some skill I coulda been a hockey player. "I coulda had a chance. I coulda been been somebody."

Old
11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
no name

He is a hinderence to the top line. There isn't even a question about it. He should never see anything but a third or fourth line. That's not really a knock on him, he's just not that type of player.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 05:54 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 06:53 PM
dbbourn

Calder makes me miss Klatt.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
Calder makes me miss Klatt.
The truth can really hurt some times!

Old
11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
Oh god! That's deliciously hilarious!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Calder is the new Armstrong. Bottom 6 player in a top 6 role.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:33 AM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
O.k. Zad,

I guess I have to bring my cent-and-a-half over to this thread as I cant help but think it was my post on another thread that germinated the idea in your loins for you to express your Calder man crush!

Yes even I, an acknowledged Calder basher, must accept that he is contributing to the team right now. But at what cost? He is not a top line player, and he never was. This is a DL UFA signing failure. As I said elsewhere, he is a bridge to nowhere!!! Worse still, every person on this board, except maybe PC Load, knows who has the rightful claim to playing the wing that Calder now occupies on the first line, even if our coach doesnt see it that way. (He will come around on Sully, just like he did with Labs and the ICEBERG)

Yes Calder has some speed, so did I once. Craig (high-and-wide) Johnson had speed too, and they both put it to about the same amount of use. (I, of course, didnt put it to any use--unless rec league counts, and it doesnt, I know.)

Calder cant seem to do much with the puck in open ice, and if he could, that would open things up just that bit more needed for Kopitar to become a scoring machine again. He also lacks the deft hands that a player needs to play with Kopitar and Brown when stationed around the net. How many more points would Kopi and Brownie have if O'sullivan had the opportunity to convert some of those passes that Calder has fumbled away or shot wide?

Calder is making 2.75 million, just a tad under what O'Sullivan had to hold out for. Is there any real comparison between the two? Does Calder have any future with this team? Or are we just showcasing him for increased trade value at the deadline? Because, although he may be contributing now, we all know that putting Sully on that first line and leaving him there to gel once again is what this offense needs to start humming along. And isn't developing that chemistry what this rebuild is all about.

So put the Calder man crush away, Zad. Diary its return for late February when Calder's return and contribution to this team can be measured by the prospect or draft pick we acquire for him once he is dealt at the deadline, assuming there are any takers at that time!
This whole post deserves one big

There is too much to state here so I will just simply state a few stats to rebuke your statement that I highlighted in bold above. Take it for what it is worth.

Calder has played on the top line for the last 5 games. Since then, Kopitar has scored 6 points (Kopitar's previous 10 games only produced 7 points). And Brown has scored 4 points (Brown's previous 10 games produced 7 points). And to boot, the team has been able to collect 9 of a possible 10 points in those games.

Now, with that said, I am not trying to say that Calder is the savior of this team. What I am trying to say is that Calder brings a lot more to this team than what shows up on the score sheet. His grittiness and willingness to do his work "down in the trenches" is what is needed if a team is going to win a championship. With that said, I would not be surprised if DL were to re-sign him to another multi-year contract (at a reduced rate, I hope). Championship teams need players like Calder. You need hard working players just as much as you need your finesse/pure goal scores, to get to the top of this league.

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
This whole post deserves one big

There is too much to state here so I will just simply state a few stats to rebuke your statement that I highlighted in bold above. Take it for what it is worth.

Calder has played on the top line for the last 5 games. Since then, Kopitar has scored 6 points (Kopitar's previous 10 games only produced 7 points). And Brown has scored 4 points (Brown's previous 10 games produced 7 points). And to boot, the team has been able to collect 9 of a possible 10 points in those games.

Now, with that said, I am not trying to say that Calder is the savior of this team. What I am trying to say is that Calder brings a lot more to this team than what shows up on the score sheet. His grittiness and willingness to do his work "down in the trenches" is what is needed if a team is going to win a championship. With that said, I would not be surprised if DL were to re-sign him to another multi-year contract (at a reduced rate, I hope). Championship teams need players like Calder. You need hard working players just as much as you need your finesse/pure goal scores, to get to the top of this league.
The reason we have 9 out of the 10 possible points in the last five games has far more to do with a sea change in the coaches re-thinking about the goalie position than anything, ANYTHING, ANYTHING ELSE.

Which is not to say, by the way that Calder doesnt contribute. He played a great game against Dallas Tuesday night, and I said so in the postgame thread. But he is a detriment in comparison to having "the boys" all reunited on the top line, letting them "GEL" and seeing them create chances. Check the post-game thread from last night. See how many people agree (not that such agreement makes me right or wrong) that Calder is not a top six winger, and shouldn't be playing on the top line.

Calder is not a top six forward on any other team, and he shouldn't be on this team either. Army was never a top six forward, but given his chance to center for Ziggy, he put up impressive point totals for a guy possessing his skill set. I dont see that happening for Calder. His most effective play is to cycle, but he can not come out from the boards with the puck. Which means he ends up stuck there, like last night when he just danced on the boards with the puck for thirty seconds doing effectively nothing. Dont get me wrong, puck possession is a good thing, but to wins games the puck has to go at the NET! Calder, for the most part, doesnt seem capable, enough, to get it there, whether by skating through open ice or bringing it off the boards into the middle, or shooting on net fort that matter either.

Calder is a third line grinder at best, and a weight dragging down Kopitar and Brownie. Give Sully that ice time and spot on the top line, ( and give that line combo the same chance Calder has had there) and you will see what a dominating line that is and you will never again see, nor ask for, Calder on the top line again.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 11-14-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old
11-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Omni Owl
Ray of Black Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Damn skippy.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Agreed.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
ZedzDead

This is some appreciation thread

ZedzDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Calder! Calder! Calder! Calder! Calder! Calder! Calder!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Doughty for Calder!!

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
The reason we have 9 out of the 10 possible points in the lat five games has far more to do with a sea change in the coaches re-thinking about the goalie position than anything, ANYTHING, ANYTHING ELSE.

If you think this is due to him you are not watching the games. Check the turnovers. Oh, and when you are on the number one pp line you need to score. Period.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote