HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs TV

Old
01-03-2009, 04:37 AM
HABitual

vCash: 500
Habs TV

Should the Montreal Canadiens have their own 24-hour sports channel like the Leafs do? Discuss. If they go ahead with it, I only hope there is some English progamming.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:18 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I don't know if there would be enough viewers. We certainly have the fans, but considering we speak two languages, it would be difficult to reach both languages on the same channel. If 'HabsTV' were broadcast outside of Quebec, into ontario and the west, the yes, it would make sense(if it were english). Even then, RDS is pretty much the best we got right now. They do a lot of talk shows, analyzing and such just for the habs(mind you 99% of their analysts suck). They play all the habs game. A new channel would have to steal the rds regulars as well.

If you're asking me if i want an english 24 hour habs channel. The simple answer is yes. Would be interesting if it were a billingual channel. French and english programming.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:26 AM
koivu

yes, heck there is Raptorstv - why ?

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I guess it's all up to whether there's any profit margin in it or not. I don't think they need to boost their image or engage in any generic PR investment activities. The Bell Centre will always be sold out. They have a pretty solid national fanbase already anyway. I guess I'd be a little bit surprised if they could make it pay off. I wonder if Leafs TV makes anything or is basically just a subsidized marketing gimmick? Habs TV probably wouldn't have the same advertising potential if it was split across different languages, and if ALL the live games were still being broadcast on RDS.

I always subscribed to Leafs TV, they had other stuff like the CCHA games. And occasionally they were the only ones carrying a Leafs game. Habs TV would definitely have to find some supplementary programming too, I don't know if they could get some Q games or what. The NHL Network already keeps most of the historically classic games in rotation, I don't think there's a big NEED for those. And they should want us to just buy the DVD set anyway.

I have to doubt the team would even want more media attention, talkshow/sideshow stuff, etc, swirling around. Seems like they have a pretty full load to handle just from the print and radio folks already.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:11 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't know if there would be enough viewers. We certainly have the fans, but considering we speak two languages, it would be difficult to reach both languages on the same channel. If 'HabsTV' were broadcast outside of Quebec, into ontario and the west, the yes, it would make sense(if it were english). Even then, RDS is pretty much the best we got right now. They do a lot of talk shows, analyzing and such just for the habs(mind you 99% of their analysts suck). They play all the habs game. A new channel would have to steal the rds regulars as well.

If you're asking me if i want an english 24 hour habs channel. The simple answer is yes. Would be interesting if it were a billingual channel. French and english programming.
With every TV capable of secondary audio programming one station could concievably have both English and French on the same channel. Therefore it would not have to be one or the other or worse, bilingual.

The programming they could have would be sort of like MSG where they could also televise the Montreal Juniors and select games of the Q. They could also televise old classics and sports updates from around the league. There is no way they wouldn't clean up with the content they could televise. With their history they could show classics all year long and show the casual fans what the Beliveau's and Richard's were all about. If the Laffs can do it with their lack of a successful history how can it not work for us?

This would be a terrific source of revenue for the Habs so I just don't get why they don't do it.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
sheed36

Yes there should be a Habs TV channel and it should be available right across Canada for Habs fans everywhere and not like the Leafs TV channel which is only available to residents in Ontario as far as I know..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Lone Rogue

Yes. Yes. God yes.

Just look at the Devils game. There had to be 3,000 Hab fans in attendance. Those are either Hab fans from Canada or Hab fans from NJ. Certainly there is a market. We put more Hab fans in arenas across the NHL than any other team.

I'd pay $10 a month just for the one channel if it meant old Hab games, player profiles, all regular season and playoff games and a sports talk show which doesn't include PJ Stock.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

And Bulldogs games, svp.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Universe
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
Raptors TV is just like the American version of NBA TV but they just call it by the name of the team. They actually play a lot of stuff not Raptor related.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And Bulldogs games, svp.
Great idea. Cinncinatti in the ECHL too. CHL or NCAA games that feature drafted Habs prospects on both rosters.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
MoonlightGraham

They already have RDS. Since RDS owns the right to broadcast games Habs TV could not broadcast any games, except maybe the preseason games RDS doesn't want.

I know the Canadiens are popular but I don't think they're popular enough to have their own channel, especially if that channel doesn't even broadcasts games.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
They already have RDS. Since RDS owns the right to broadcast games Habs TV could not broadcast any games, except maybe the preseason games RDS doesn't want.

I know the Canadiens are popular but I don't think they're popular enough to have their own channel, especially if that channel doesn't even broadcasts games.
Yet other teams have them, and we arguable have the largest fanbase, so your argument is flawed.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
Should the Montreal Canadiens have their own 24-hour sports channel like the Leafs do? Discuss. If they go ahead with it, I only hope there is some English progamming.
great idea Montreal+Hamilton all games
where do i sign?

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
mcphee

I'd love a CH network that would cover the team, offer farm team games, maybe a historical show or 2. My dream network would be bilingual with some discussion wherein the analysts would switch back and forth like you have with a table of co workers talking hockey in a tavern.

I don't think a bilingual channel would ever get by the CRTC though.

How would they apply for a license, French or English, whichever side granted it wouldn't want the mix, sadly.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post

imo it could work ....

but to be honest , I know they'd make it look like a reality show at one point ... always looking for something to say even when there is nothing to say ... it becomes a type of journalism that I hate ala patrick lagace, and that could give me an overdose of habs ... I don't need to know how they dress in order to love them on the ice...

I have a vision of ribeiro making that silly video on how the players are dressed and who is the most classy of them ... and I can certainly translate that sad nightmare in a 24 hours habs channel ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
How would they apply for a license, French or English, whichever side granted it wouldn't want the mix, sadly.
I hate it when people speak french in the HF Chat

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:18 PM
gee

Quote:
I'd love a CH network that would cover the team, offer farm team games, maybe a historical show or 2. My dream network would be bilingual with some discussion wherein the analysts would switch back and forth like you have with a table of co workers talking hockey in a tavern.

how does the license for a network like APTN work - they broadcast in french, english, and other aboriginal languages. is the license in english with programming in other languages?

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article836.html

maybe the games could be broadcast with a delay to sync to radio, internet, or satellite radio broadcasts.

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
znk

They already have one. It's called RDS.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
But that's all french. No good for us anglophones.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Chomsky

Quote:

Well, at the very least, they should offer something like free subtitles in english for viewers or vice-versa, it could be marketable for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I hate it when people speak french in the HF Chat
That's why you're so a *******.

Quote:
Omg are we ever screwed..

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
And Bulldogs games, svp.
That would KICK ASS

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:

You're right. I'm not French. Born and raised in Ontario. The language issue isn't a factor when I watch RDS. If I want to research details on a specific incident. That's why I have internet access. RDS is fine. Many cable companies outside of Quebec provide it on their digital package. Both Canadian satellite systems have RDS too.

Don't kid yourself. Leafs TV has been a flop. The concept has not been met with open arms. When a team places a portion of their games on a pay-per-view basis. The viewing audience automatically gets reduced. You're only asking for trouble (e.g. Black Hawks under the late Bill Witrz).

This is from William Houston (Globe & Mail) April 2008 ...

Leafs TV, a regional channel owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, lost $3.43-million despite increasing its distribution in Southern Ontario through a deal with Rogers Cable.

Leafs TV airs a package of Leafs preseason and regular-season games, but functions primarily as a promotional vehicle for the club. And it also improves MLSE's overall market value.

Still, it's a consistent money loser that was $3.76-million in the red in 2006.

... enough said?

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:36 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
Raptors are 9th in average attendance in the NBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
AH

Leafs TV is a money losing operation.

Habs TV would be the same.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote