HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers call Corey Potter up

Old
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
anyone else have the feeling this could be another Girardi situation where a defenseman gets called up early and sticks?
yeah, I said the same thing in the Redden injury thread. Despite my hopes, I'm going to lower my expectations. I don't expect him to perform overly well and if the injury is really just a "tweak," Redden will be back in 3 games. I mean, Gomez's leg injury seem like it lasted a long time but he only missed 5 games so it doesn't sound like it is any worse than Gomez's. I don't think 3 games will be enough for him to make that big of an impression like Girardi was able to. How many games did Girardi have before whoever he was replacing got off the IR? Well, I sure hope he magically makes me eat crow.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

About time. I'm not expecting anything amazing from him, but I'm sure he'll be solid.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:59 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Do it Potter. Make them remove Dmitri Kalinin and his $2.1 million waste.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM
NYR Viper

i know its high hopes, but i hope he can pull a girardi and just be solid

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Do it Potter. Make them remove Dmitri Kalinin and his $2.1 million waste.
I wouldn't exactly put Kalinins contract up there in terms of the Rangers contract issues.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I wouldn't exactly put Kalinins contract up there in terms of the Rangers contract issues.
State where I said that.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
I don't think people get the whole freaking point about Kalinin and his salary

he has done fine.......i agree......I don't hate him on the team but he is the 6th Dman.............I feel Potter at 0.55 K would make more sense

They can take that 1.5 million in savings and another 1.6 in Prucha with the rest they have left and make a deal for a WINGER.......they need another forward

Question to ask is where else do they remove salary?

DO NOT give me Rozsival.....it WILL NOT happen......he signed a 4 yr deal and has gave the team his all over the past few yrs and he has produced............he does not suck , he is getting healthier and back to normal

They are not going to move any other forward that makes money

SO move Kalinin because Potter can replace him and/or a cheaper Dman coming back.................move Prucha who I would LOVE to see sniping again but in reality it won't be here so move him out

Trade chips are Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin ,a few Hartford players and picks

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:38 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
State where I said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

he has done fine.......i agree......I don't hate him on the team but he is the 6th Dman.............I feel Potter at 0.55 K would make more sense

They can take that 1.5 million in savings and another 1.6 in Prucha with the rest they have left and make a deal for a WINGER.......they need another forward

DO NOT give me Rozsival.....it WILL NOT happen......he signed a 4 yr deal and has gave the team his all over the past few yrs and he has produced............he does not suck , he is getting healthier and back to normal

SO move Kalinin because Potter can replace him and/or a cheaper Dman coming back.................move Prucha who I would LOVE to see sniping again but in reality it won't be here so move him out

I understand why people want Kalinin moved. He would probably be an easy move and 2.1m is a decent amount of cap space to be freed. But the amount that it comes up, it seems like people think he is a huge cap issue.

Ideally fans would want to see Redden/Rozi moved, but we all know that won't be happening. Noone would be taking Redden, and Rozi, I highly doubt anyone in the org wants to move him. Last man out is Kalinin, which again, I completely understand.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I understand why people want Kalinin moved. He would probably be an easy move and 2.1m is a decent amount of cap space to be freed. But the amount that it comes up, it seems like people think he is a huge cap issue.

Ideally fans would want to see Redden/Rozi moved, but we all know that won't be happening. Noone would be taking Redden, and Rozi, I highly doubt anyone in the org wants to move him. Last man out is Kalinin, which again, I completely understand.
i agree.....kalinin would probably be the easiest to move...i wonder if renney and sather are really looking at potter for a longer duration with redden out for a bit to see if they can clear some cap space on the back-end to get more room to sign a player like sundin

Old
12-06-2008, 04:55 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

the problem is that moving kalinin would only be a very short term solution. after the season we would still have the same problems re-signing our RFAs and UFAs

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Hopefully he comes up and plays a solid few games. Not really expecting much more than that.

Show us what you got Corey.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Hopefully he comes up and plays a solid few games. Not really expecting much more than that.

Show us what you got Corey.
Yeah, pretty much.

I just hope, simply for comedic effect, that the team plays just as well with Potter in the lineup, as it does with Redden. Or better, though that's asking a bit much. It would be pretty damn funny, considering how long we're saddled with ol' Wade for.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

All things considered with whats going on with the Rangers right now, this is a HUGE opportunity.

Good Luck Potts

12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
Just beat me to it

I'm super excited to see this kid get a chance in the NHL and who knows, if he can even slightly hold his own maybe we can take Rozi out back and give him the Old Yeller treatment...
HAHAHA!

Go Potter! One of my favorite prospects. I want to see him destroy someone like he destroyed Hensick!

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:20 PM
NYR Viper

can someone give a valid description of his game who has seen him consistently?....

i know he has good lateral movement, good size, good skating and makes good passes but what should we all be looking for from him....

Old
12-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
the problem is that moving kalinin would only be a very short term solution. after the season we would still have the same problems re-signing our RFAs and UFAs
How about we worry about next season next season..........I am thinking about there situation right now and right now they are GOOD team..........they need one more Scoring Winner to make them potentially great

Just ask yourself this.......would you rather have Sundin(example) , Potter or Kalinin, Dawes, Prucha.........I think the answer is obvious

as for next yr they will just look to cut salary and yea likely Rozi........teams would want him regardless of what some people say

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Yeah, pretty much.

I just hope, simply for comedic effect, that the team plays just as well with Potter in the lineup, as it does with Redden. Or better, though that's asking a bit much. It would be pretty damn funny, considering how long we're saddled with ol' Wade for.
Actually, I'd probably cry if Potter outplayed Redden and then was sent down to the minors again.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Actually, I'd probably cry if Potter outplayed Redden and then was sent down to the minors again.
agreed....i thought he should have made the team out of camp so i guess i will see if i was right

Old
12-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
I'd probably cry if Potter outplayed Redden period.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

good luck movin redden. not happening. and rozy would be tough too although a team like ottawa or perhaps edmonton would make sense.

all this talk of kalinin but lets not forget mara. i think maras played well so far and he may have more appeal and thus trade value. i like maras game so far this year and i believe other teams have taken notice of his snarly attitude. and at 1.95 this year he would give us room as well. kalinin sounds nice but not sure hed be the one who would be moved.

best case scenario is potter plays well enough to earn a lengthy stay even after redden returns. we can keep 7 d is we drop a forward. we need him to really step up and play well so we can perhaps look to unload another more expensive dman in a package for some goal scoring or to bring in sundin.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 12-06-2008 at 08:24 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think he's been a real surprise and has improved each season due to his hard work and dedication. My only issue with him has been his frame - which is pretty slight and he does rely on size to be successful in the AHL. It wasn't a problem at all in preseason and I thought he was one of the better defensemen during preseason. Let's hope he gets a chance to show what he's got.

um..... hes actually 6'3 200. thats a pretty prototypical dman body. i would say hes got a perfect frame and hes only 24.

fyi

girardi 6'2 210

staal 6'4 205

rozy 6'2 205

kalinin 6'3 206

redden 6'2 205

mara 6'4 220

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 12-06-2008 at 08:24 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Vitto

Why the big thing about losing Kalinin?

He has a 1 yr deal, only makes $2.1m and is the 6th dman

Why are you not more concerned with losing Redden's contract or Rozsival? both have played at a similar level to Kalinin and some might say worse, seriously if we could somehow find a GM that was retarded enough to take Redden's contract then in my opinion you have to do it.

He has a NTC but it isnt impossible to get him to waive it.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

um..... hes actually 6'3 200. thats a pretty prototypical dman body. i would say hes got a perfect frame and hes only 24.

fyi

girardi 6'2 210

staal 6'4 205

rozy 6'2 205

kalinin 6'3 206

redden 6'2 205

mara 6'4 220
i remember seeing him in the preseason and thinking he could add some muscle....he did look pretty skinny and was losing battles down low....but he definately has a good starting point to move up from....at least he isnt like 180lbs and 5'10

Old
12-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Fletch

Outplaying Redden...

over a couple games is one thing - playing an 82 game season is another. Seen it too often when a kid comes up for a few days and shines, but the long haul just aint ever the same. I hope Potter does real well. I've always liked the kid. But at the same time, if I was running this team, I'm not sure I trust him to be the 6th defenseman either. Having Kalinin and Mara under a 1 year contract is perfect for a guy like Potter (and the Rangers since they need a cheap option for next season).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

There is no way Potter will replace Redden, regardless of how well he plays. Potter will play a game or two, go on the West Coast swing coming up as insurance and then most likely return to Hartford so he can get meaningful minutes. If he plays well, he earns the right to be called up again, when the need arises.

Sather's goal is to win a Stanley Cup, so it is highly improbable that Sather is going to give up on the season and trade away an experienced defenseman even if Potter plays well.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote