HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

memorabilia question: Mario Stick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
  #1
fancy dan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
memorabilia question: Mario Stick

hi, i am seeking advice from someone with knowledge of selling sports memorabilia.

in 2001 i was given a game used, autographed mario lemieux hockey stick. the stick was used in his last playoff game mario ever played, when they got knocked out by the devils. during that game mario used a bunch of sticks, and after the game was over he gave a stick to every penguin dressed that night. my buddy was on his team and gave me his stick.

the stick has been gathering dust in my parents house across the country and now i have decided to sell it. i spoke with my buddy and he is totally cool with me doing it.

i don't have authentication for the stick. i have asked my buddy to try to get it authenticated. does anyone know how one does this? will having the authentication versus not having it effect the selling price, if so by how much?

also, i have no idea about value. if anyone could give me an approximate value that would be fantastic.

also, where is the best place to sell something like this? ebay? nhl auctions? somewhere else?

thanks very much.

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
  #2
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken conif View Post
hi, i am seeking advice from someone with knowledge of selling sports memorabilia.

in 2001 i was given a game used, autographed mario lemieux hockey stick. the stick was used in his last playoff game mario ever played, when they got knocked out by the devils. during that game mario used a bunch of sticks, and after the game was over he gave a stick to every penguin dressed that night. my buddy was on his team and gave me his stick.

the stick has been gathering dust in my parents house across the country and now i have decided to sell it. i spoke with my buddy and he is totally cool with me doing it.

i don't have authentication for the stick. i have asked my buddy to try to get it authenticated. does anyone know how one does this? will having the authentication versus not having it effect the selling price, if so by how much?

also, i have no idea about value. if anyone could give me an approximate value that would be fantastic.

also, where is the best place to sell something like this? ebay? nhl auctions? somewhere else?

thanks very much.
Getting Mario to authenticate it would effect the selling price a huge amount. No idea what it would be worth otherwise.

Asking to have it authenticated for the purpose of selling it would be equivalent to asking for money, so IMO you should only ask if you are raising money for a charity or some such need. Even then it would be asking a lot, and Mario would have to somehow remember the stick, though it's quite possible he would.

Getting it authenticated by your buddy himself would also increase the value, though probably to a lesser extent.

Good luck.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:30 PM
  #3
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,256
vCash: 500
Your buddy played with mario, so he was an NHL'er? Just get your buddy to sign off on it then.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
  #4
fancy dan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Your buddy played with mario, so he was an NHL'er? Just get your buddy to sign off on it then.
like a signed letter or something?

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:35 PM
  #5
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken conif View Post
like a signed letter or something?
Well, maybe something like that. He holds all the credit since it was given to him.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
  #6
HansonBro
Registered User
 
HansonBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
its worthless...ill take it off your hands for a brand new stick

lemme know when we obtain marios cell # too

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
  #7
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,658
vCash: 450
You could send a letter to him through the penguins.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
  #8
fancy dan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You could send a letter to him through the penguins.
to mario?

my buddy emailed this morning and said he had put a question out to the NHLPA about it.

does anybody have insight into where would be the best place to sell the stick?


also found this mario stick sold online, this was from his last playoff game in 1997, mine is from his last playoff game ever. no way its worth this much, is it?

http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...aunbr=99923187

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
  #9
fancy dan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
anyone?

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
  #10
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken conif View Post
anyone?
From your link:

"A certificate of authenticity, with duel hologram stickers, from the Mario Lemieux Foundation is included."

That has to be a huge multiplier of value.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.