HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pittsburgh, meet the NEW Washington Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Pittsburgh, meet the NEW Washington Capitals

...your new neighbor "downstairs" moving in next year.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 500
Uunfortunately, Ovechkin is in this years draft.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
...your new neighbor "downstairs" moving in next year.
Actually, the Caps look a lot better next year than the pens do, and that is assuming they get absolutly nothing in return for Kolzig and Carter, which they won't. Unlike the pens, this team will be a playoff contender in 3 years.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Uunfortunately, Ovechkin is in this years draft.
Crosby is in next year's though:p And the caps are already 3rd last in the league, they will likely get Ovechkin before Pittsburgh because the last place team rarely, if ever gets the first pick.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:40 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Crosby is in next year's though:p And the caps are already 3rd last in the league, they will likely get Ovechkin before Pittsburgh because the last place team rarely, if ever gets the first pick.

...and so there is light at the end of (what seems to be a ) tunnel of never ending misery. :p

Old
03-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

What has Washington recieved in total for all its trades this year ?

They are completely loaded for next years draft, especially when Kolzig, Witt, and Carter are traded.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:17 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Actually, the Caps look a lot better next year than the pens do, and that is assuming they get absolutly nothing in return for Kolzig and Carter, which they won't. Unlike the pens, this team will be a playoff contender in 3 years.
and you base this on what?

Old
03-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:
They were almost as bad as the Penguins WITH Jagr, Kolzig, Lang, Gonchar, etc.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Luigi Lemieux

caps have a ton of picks and prospects, but i dont see how that translates into being a playoff team in 3 years. or at least how it makes them a playoff team in 3 years but not the pens.

pens defense prospects are much better(orpik's already a monster on the blueline), and have marc andre fleury in nets. add on ovechkin or malkin and i think pens are as solid if not more than the caps.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
So? If a coin lands heads nine times out of ten, it's still no more likely to land heads on flip #11.

I'll take the Pens' odds.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
caps have a ton of picks and prospects, but i dont see how that translates into being a playoff team in 3 years. or at least how it makes them a playoff team in 3 years but not the pens.
But Caps are cutting salary to be more fiscally responsible, Pens cut salary for survival. After the CBA, the Caps could trade some prospects for more-established vets, or even "stars". Similiar to what Milbury was able to do when the Isles' payroll was drastically increased.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:45 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
But Caps are cutting salary to be more fiscally responsible, Pens cut salary for survival.
Whats the difference?

The Penguins cutting salary for survival is fiscally responsible.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Luigi Lemieux

caps were losing close to 40 million a year were they not? i dont think they cut enough salary to not be losing money.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
caps were losing close to 40 million a year were they not? i dont think they cut enough salary to not be losing money.
Capitals picks and prospects before any Kolzig,Witt,Nylander,Grier,Carter trades and Ovechkin/Crosby.

Maxime Ouellet
Alex Semin
Steve Eminger
Shaone Morrisonn
Brian Sutherby
Eric Fehr
Tomas Fleischmann
Brooks Laich
Boyd Gordon
Jonas Johansson
Nolan Yonkman
Owen Fussey

Washington's 1st rd. pick 04
Red Wing's 1st rd. pick 04
Boston's 1st rd. pick 04.
Washington's 2nd rd. pick 04
Boston's 2nd rd. pick 04

Old
03-03-2004, 08:19 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Leonsis was losing 20 million on the team, but his company, Lincoln's H&F makes a great deal of money...

Old
03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
But Caps are cutting salary to be more fiscally responsible, Pens cut salary for survival. After the CBA, the Caps could trade some prospects for more-established vets, or even "stars". Similiar to what Milbury was able to do when the Isles' payroll was drastically increased.
or go out and get players like Lang and Jagr to be the missing peices for a cup run? in other words, do what they did the past three years, which resulted in their current firesale. whats the point of starting hte cycle again so soon?

btw, the reasons the Pens traded some people was to be fiscally responsible and not run the team into the ground like the previous owner. the Caps are in the same boat as the Pens now, whether some like it or not.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Whats the difference?

The Penguins cutting salary for survival is fiscally responsible.
Pens got marginal and mid-late round picks for their players. Caps are getting high picks and rather good prospects. That's the difference.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps

Washington's 1st rd. pick 04
Red Wing's 1st rd. pick 04
Boston's 1st rd. pick 04.
Rediculous

Old
03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Grave77digger

Im not very concerned, the Penguins always have and always will OMGWTFPWN the Caps...so its understandable when Caps fan wanna bash the Pens, they couldnt beat the Pens so they tried to buy there players and look where it got them...

Old
03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
or go out and get players like Lang and Jagr to be the missing peices for a cup run? in other words, do what they did the past three years, which resulted in their current firesale. whats the point of starting hte cycle again so soon?

btw, the reasons the Pens traded some people was to be fiscally responsible and not run the team into the ground like the previous owner. the Caps are in the same boat as the Pens now, whether some like it or not.
The Caps current pre-CBA situation is totally different than the Pens, we needed to dump Jagr's salary, but beyond that, Leonsis has stated on several occasions that we were to make hockey trades.

Teddy E-mail precociously built a team around one player with already aging veterans that needed blowing up. It was a team and business model that is outdated.

We aren't bankrupt, in need of a new arena, and precariously near being moved. The management feels that we should be able to operate at a lower cost, especially with a new CBA.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
The Caps current pre-CBA situation is totally different than the Pens,

We aren't bankrupt, in need of a new arena, and precariously near being moved. The management feels that we should be able to operate at a lower cost, especially with a new CBA.
i dont deny that. my point is that the same thigns were said by Pens management before they went into full blown rebuild mode. there may be more than you know about.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
i dont deny that. my point is that the same thigns were said by Pens management before they went into full blown rebuild mode. there may be more than you know about.
Yep, it wasn't until after the Kovalev trade that the team finally admitted it was in a rebuilding mode.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:40 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
There were rumblings of major financial discord in Pittsburgh well before the re-build. The Caps will be fine.

Personally, I hope neither team suffers any more major losses and both continue to rebuild. I enjoy watching the Pens with Fleury, Orpik, and co. and since the Caps began shedding superstars, the level of play and effort has skyrocketed. It's fun to watch hockey again. It'd be a lot of fun to renew an old rivalry with budding young star players on both sides.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Pens got marginal and mid-late round picks for their players.
In hindsight, yeah. The same could be said of the Capitals if Laich, Morrisson and Fleischmann fall off the map the same way Sivek, Beech and Lupaschuk have.

Regardless, you haven't explained your reasoning for the Caps being not only better than the Pens next year, but "a lot" better. But you don't have to.

Last edited by Jacob: 03-03-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 08:43 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Pens got marginal and mid-late round picks for their players. Caps are getting high picks and rather good prospects. That's the difference.
for jagr the pens got the #7, #29 and #24 picks of the 99 draft, when there were only 28 teams, so teh #29 was the first pick of round two.
Lang's value this year was higher than it was when the pens had him, and it was rumored the best deal offered to the Pens was for Spacek straight up. they chose to take the compensatory 2nd round pick by letting him walk instead.
Kovalev tehy needed to trade to survive. they dumped two players just eating up salary, and got cash they needed to break even on the year. their hands were tied in the deal due to finances, and Sather knew that, which was why the return was so little. and Fata is only 23, hes not a bust yet.

Closed Thread