HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The New York Rangers trade Nedved,Markkanen 2 Oilers 4 Dwight Helminen,Valiquette,2nd

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Nedved is signed for next year... he isnt leaving.
isn't a option at about 4.75 million?

Old
03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Jussi will split the #1 duties with Conklin next year.
Nedved will leave as a UFA, compensation pick of a 3rd rounder.
Helminen and Valiquette are nothing to write home about.

Good move for both teams, but I like it more from an Oilers perspective.
It is a decent deal for the Oilers, but they are in serious trouble if they go with Conklin/Markannen next year. That will easily be the worst goalie tandem in the NHL. That is just some horrible goaltending right there !!

Flames fans: Before you start saying that Sutter has to react. NO !! Why on earth would a 6th place team do anything in reaction to a 10th place team. I believe Sutter has a plan and this will change nothing. If the Flames make a move, it's because they already needed to, not because the Oilers traded for an enigmatic forward and a 3rd string goalie.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:35 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
It is a decent deal for the Oilers, but they are in serious trouble if they go with Conklin/Markannen next year. That will easily be the worst goalie tandem in the NHL. That is just some horrible goaltending right there !!
I dunno about that. I would say "unproven" before "bad". Markannen did pretty well last year when Salo was injured and similarly Conklin this year. They just need experience before declaring them bad.
Besides, Salo's getting shipped out, so they don't have a lot of choice.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:

The Oilers goaltending improves just from getting Tommy Salo out of the mix.

As for Nedved, we'll see. If he shows some chemistry with Dvorak, that'll help the Oilers. The Oilers' two biggest needs, not just for this season but also into the future, are a good offensive center and a decent goaltender. This trade addresses them. And it's not out of the question for the Oilers to pick up the option on Nedved's contract, either-- they'll have the money available next season.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I really thought Nedved would end up in Vancouver or Toronto. Shocked that the Oilers got him, but I'm very happy. Great trade by Lowe

Old
03-03-2004, 05:47 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
The Oilers goaltending improves just from getting Tommy Salo out of the mix.

As for Nedved, we'll see. If he shows some chemistry with Dvorak, that'll help the Oilers. The Oilers' two biggest needs, not just for this season but also into the future, are a good offensive center and a decent goaltender. This trade addresses them. And it's not out of the question for the Oilers to pick up the option on Nedved's contract, either-- they'll have the money available next season.
Getting rid of Salo is good, no two ways about that but I feel that they will need a proven # 1 to get to the playoffs next year (if there is a next season). It's not like they are an elite team that can get by with "decent" goaltending. Time will tell but if the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year, this deal will not look so good because they could have used Nedved's money to sign a better player in the off-season. How much does Nedved make ?? Anything more than 2.5 - 3 million is overpaying IMO.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke would *never* bring Nedved back after what he did the first time he was here. That aside...very good deal for Edmonton!

It's too late to salvage this season, but they can shed a lot of dead salary weight over the summer to make room for Nedved next season (Salo definately gone, Jason Smith will probably be gone too) and *finally* be solid down the middle with Nedved-York-Reasoner-Horcoff.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
Sather give a litlle gift to is old Oilers . Great deal for Edmonton but i wonder how they will do to pay him also it could help them to makes the playoffs . They give nothing in fact .

The Habs should had go after Nedved for a low price instead of giving up Balej for an UFA ( Kovalev )

Old
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Getting rid of Salo is good, no two ways about that but I feel that they will need a proven # 1 to get to the playoffs next year (if there is a next season). It's not like they are an elite team that can get by with "decent" goaltending. Time will tell but if the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year, this deal will not look so good because they could have used Nedved's money to sign a better player in the off-season. How much does Nedved make ?? Anything more than 2.5 - 3 million is overpaying IMO.
They have arguably the worst goaltending in the league right now and they're .500 and 6 points out of the playoffs. Believe me, if you've watched Salo all year you would know that Markannen is a huge upgrade.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

It's too late to salvage this season, but they can shed a lot of dead salary weight over the summer to make room for Nedved next season (Salo definately gone, Jason Smith will probably be gone too) and *finally* be solid down the middle with Nedved-York-Reasoner-Horcoff.
The oilers are 6 points back with a game vs. stlouis tomorrow night and two games against LA remaining. They still have a pulse.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Nedved's contract is 4,700,000 according to NHLPA. Don't know how long he is signed for.
That's a lot.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...io.asp?ID=4124

Old
03-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Oilers Hockey

Maybe Sather helped Lowe by paying a substantial portion of Nedved's salary. It wouldn' shock me.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:03 PM
struckmatch

Did the Oilers really need Markannen? Isn't Conklin due back soon anyways??

And if the Oilers have any shot at the Playoffs, they need Salo playing at his best, so whats the need to Markannen if Conks will be back? a 2nd and 2 mid level prospects for an aging Centre and a backup goalie that you once had anyways seems like a lot to give up...

Am I the only one who sees the Rags getting the better end here?

Old
03-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Maybe Sather helped Lowe by paying a substantial portion of Nedved's salary. It wouldn' shock me.
Frankly, I doubt it. Sather is in enough trouble trying to keep his job.
Oh, and I was wrong, it's 4,750,000, not 4,700,000.
I don't understand this from an Edmonton standpoint. Too much cash for not enough return, unless they thing Nedved will help them make the playoffs...

Old
03-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Time will tell but if the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year, this deal will not look so good because they could have used Nedved's money to sign a better player in the off-season.

Since Nedved is being paid for approximately 17 more games, he should earn close to $900,000...How is that money being spent now going to help us in the off-season? By your logic, you suggest we should be able to locate a player better than Nedved for 900,000 on the free agent market. Find me any UFA that isn't playing in the NHL that signs for that much. Now, find me one with 8, 20 goal NHL seasons.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:06 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Nedved's contract is 4,700,000 according to NHLPA. Don't know how long he is signed for.
That's a lot.
UFA, but there's a team option on the contract.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Hemmer

Conklin is uncertain...he's gone for 2 more weeks at least. Salo has been good for 4 goals a game lately...time to bring in someone else. Markannen fits well for the Oilers, doesn't make much and we know what to expect.

We have an extra second or two at least...one from the Leetch compensation. Wouldn't be suprised if that is the one we give up.

Nedved should give us an added boost to our top six...give us a reliable #1 Vet C for the first time since Dougie Weight left and spark Dvorak and possibly Hemsky. If we make the playoffs great. If not, great. It costs us 900K that is OBVIOUSLY there, otherwise the deal wouldn't have been made. Oilers are actually supposed to turn a profit this year. If Nedved doesn't pan out, we don't pick up his option. Simple.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
UFA, but there's a team option on the contract.
Well, then he's a rental. I doubt the Oilers will be willing to resign him at that price, so unless he's willing to take a paycut to stay in Edmonton (which is possible, perhaps even likely...) he's going off into free agency.

So, assuming that, this boils down to Markannen and 17 games worth of Nedved for a 2nd rounder, Valiquette, and Helminen, Nothing special there for the Rangers. I don't know about this. It just doesn't seem like a good deal for the Oilers - it works for NY because it fits with their current plan, but it doesn't make sense from an Edmonton standpoint unless they are planning on making the playoffs (possible, though unlikely) or planning to send Nedved off to someone else prior to the deadline.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Petr Nedved has a club option worth $5 million for next season.There is no buyout if Edmonton does not pick up the option.They can just let him go after the season with no financial obligations attached.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:19 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Well, then he's a rental. I doubt the Oilers will be willing to resign him at that price, so unless he's willing to take a paycut to stay in Edmonton (which is possible, perhaps even likely...) he's going off into free agency.

So, assuming that, this boils down to Markannen and 17 games worth of Nedved for a 2nd rounder, Valiquette, and Helminen, Nothing special there for the Rangers. I don't know about this. It just doesn't seem like a good deal for the Oilers - it works for NY because it fits with their current plan, but it doesn't make sense from an Edmonton standpoint unless they are planning on making the playoffs (possible, though unlikely) or planning to send Nedved off to someone else prior to the deadline.
I don't think it's completely out of the question that Lowe would keep Nedved. The near certain deletion of Salo(4mil) and Oates(2mil) will put Lowe ahead of the game financially. I'm not sure Nedved is worth 5 mil - I guess it'll depend on whether he can recapture the chemistry he had with Devo...

Old
03-03-2004, 06:19 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
isn't a option at about 4.75 million?
It;s a team option for $5 million. The OIL can just let him go at year's end

Old
03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
Did the Oilers really need Markannen? Isn't Conklin due back soon anyways??
And if the Oilers have any shot at the Playoffs, they need Salo playing at his best, so whats the need to Markannen if Conks will be back? a 2nd and 2 mid level prospects for an aging Centre and a backup goalie that you once had anyways seems like a lot to give up...
Am I the only one who sees the Rags getting the better end here?
Markkanen has played significantly better than Salo this year and it looks like Salo will never be playing at his best this year. Valiquette is a career minor leaguer, and Helminen is a long shot. Oilers get a 1a/1b goalie tandem in Markkanen and Conklin, and a #1 center...Oilers win this easily.

Nedved > 2nd
Markkanen > Valiquette + Helminen

Old
03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
*faints*

I never expected this, but then again, I never expected the Canadiens to get Kovalev!

Since when are the Oilers interested in adding salary and trading away prospects? Especially considering they're six pts out of the playoffs and certainly aren't a sure thing to make it. It wouldn't make much sense for them to add salary if they don't even make the playoffs, so I'm going to make a wild guess that they're planning on moving some salary out before the deadline.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Randall Graves*

Why are the Oilers doing this?do they believe the playoffs are within reach?and if they are why would they pick up the underachieving Nedved?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Dangerdanger

Because thats what the oilers do. Buy low sell high.

Closed Thread