HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathon Cheechoo

Old
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
JorgeRocks!

vCash: 500
Jonathon Cheechoo

Some proposals say him for avery, but i think his value is certainly more than that

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
Some proposals say him for avery, but i think his value is certainly more than that
It depends on the team, but I would think if he gets moved than it is going to happen around the draft. I don't know why I keep thinking of the Pens

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
shadow1

Afinogenov + 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Both players have similar salaries (3.33 Afinogenov and 3.00 Cheechoo), same age, same position, and both are struggling since breaking out a few years ago:

Afinogenov: 56 gp, 23 + 38 = 61, +19
Cheechoo: 76 gp, 37 + 32= 69, +11

Afinogenov: 27 gp, 1 + 9 = 10, -12
Cheechoo: 19 GP, 4 + 4 = 8, +1

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
It depends on the team, but I would think if he gets moved than it is going to happen around the draft. I don't know why I keep thinking of the Pens
Because he is a RW, and the Penguins lack quality wingers?

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
yeah, that is it. He still skates hard and has a great shot. Most likely would work with Crosby although Crosby skates much much better.

Old
12-14-2008, 07:43 PM
God
Free Citizen

Would the Pens even want him? He can't even score on Thornton's wing anymore.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:43 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
Not to mention a right handed forward.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Trottier
Very Random

If NYI lands a bigname center (Taveras; Duchene) in the June draft, I'd love to see them make a move for Cheechoo to play alongside. His salary is manageable, and you're "buying low".

In the event that Rob Blake does not return after this season, perhaps the Sharks would have some interest in adding Witt (signed for 2 seasons beyond this one)...perhaps the starting point for a deal.

Just throwing it out there.

Sharks are not my team, but common sense dictates that if you are 24-3-2, you do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, keep your hands off your roster. Wilson knows that if it's not broke, don't break it.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-14-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
have you watched the Sharks this year?

Old
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Yeah considering he's not playing on Thornton's wing. Where have you been? Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi has been one of the best lines in the NHL this year.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 07:59 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

what would the sharks need in return for him?

I'm sure that several teams can offer draft picks and prospects for him (assuming they have salary room to take him on).... but a team like the sharks that are a top contender, only need to trade such players if they can improve their lineup elsewhere... otherwise it just makes more sense to keep him and the added depth going into a critical playoff year.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
what would the sharks need in return for him?

I'm sure that several teams can offer draft picks and prospects for him (assuming they have salary room to take him on).... but a team like the sharks that are a top contender, only need to trade such players if they can improve their lineup elsewhere... otherwise it just makes more sense to keep him and the added depth going into a critical playoff year.
I don't see him being traded, at least not yet. In the event Seto or Clowe go cold, he is the perfect solution. The year before the Rocket Richard, he put up 28 goal on Ricci's line, playing gritty hockey, so he is still an asset outside the top 6.

However, the Sharks have cap problems next year with 46 million invested in their top 5 d-men, top 6 forwards (and Shelly), and two goalies, with Clowe, Mitchell, Grier, and possibly Blake to sign. At that point I could see Cheech flipped for a top 4 D, or picks and prospects. Trading Cheech opens up room for Clowe and the top 6 forwards stay the same for another year.

And before everyone gets too excited at seeing the sharks needing to fill 8 spots for 10 million, and the potential of poaching Clowe, Mitchell or Cheechoo, realize they have several cheap contracts for guys who are ready to contribute.

On defense, Derek Joslin (.516) is 4th in the ahl in points by a d-man, and is said to be top 6 ready, if Blake doesn't come back. The 7th spot can be filled by Joslin (if Blake returns, or another d-man is brought in) or they can fall back on another dirt cheap guy like Semenov (~.65).

Each of the following have, or will get a cup on coffee with the big team this year: Zalewski (.66), Mcginn (.996), Staubitz (~.6), Cavanaugh (~.6). Each of these guys could be adequate 4th liners, and in McGinn and Zalewski's case, will likely try to grab a third line spot.

Mitchell and Plihal need new contracts but they will likely both be under one million. Plihal has not outplayed Tyler Kennedy who just re-signed for two years and 800k. Mitchell was about of Kennedy's level last year.

Add in Grier at 1.5 million, Goc at .875, and a #5 d-man for 2.5 and this team is set, with Cheechoo being the only loss.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Senators need a RW'er definitely. We'd give you your 1st round pick back....How about that?

Alfie can play on second line. I'm sure Cheechoo can score 25 goals with Heater and Spez.

Winchester-Kelly-Foligno as the third line is just amazing to watch for me. They dominate along the boards so I'd like to see them be together.

Donovan gets moved down with Neil? and Ruutu.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Despite a slow-down in scoring (due to injuries, etc), I think he'll fetch a good return. Still relatively young, obviously a very high-upside and is signed to a great contract.

Fits the Rangers needs to a "t" for that matter. A top-six RW who can (and will) shoot the puck and is signed to a cheap contract.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Despite a slow-down in scoring (due to injuries, etc), I think he'll fetch a good return. Still relatively young, obviously a very high-upside and is signed to a great contract.

Fits the Rangers needs to a "t" for that matter. A top-six RW who can (and will) shoot the puck and is signed to a cheap contract.
I was just thinking that too.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Chea*

Depends on the desperation of the GM.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Senators need a RW'er definitely. We'd give you your 1st round pick back....How about that?

Alfie can play on second line. I'm sure Cheechoo can score 25 goals with Heater and Spez.

Winchester-Kelly-Foligno as the third line is just amazing to watch for me. They dominate along the boards so I'd like to see them be together.

Donovan gets moved down with Neil? and Ruutu.
Ugliest skating on Spezza's wing possible. This could be workable at the draft. Depending on the cap situation, Vermette may also be interesting, as he would fit in much better than Cheech as far as style of play goes.

Another reason I don't see Doug trading Cheech until at least the draft, is because this team want to compete- that will be difficult if we trade Cheech and lose Clowe to an offer sheet (for the record, I do not expect this to happen), as we have no top 6 winger prospects (unless Couture is converted or we get lucky with McGinn or otherwise).

I expect Doug will get calls from, PITT, NYR, NYI, OTT, VAN, ATL, and St. Louis regarding Cheechoo.

Our needs are defensive prospects, top 6 winger prospects, possibly a top 4 d-man, and we could use a high end third liner who is cheap. Our Centers are set for a while with Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Mitchell, and Zalewski. While Nabby, Greiss, Sateri, Sexsmith, and Pielmier should provide adequate goaltending.

Old
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
pensown

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Ugliest skating on Spezza's wing possible. This could be workable at the draft. Depending on the cap situation, Vermette may also be interesting, as he would fit in much better than Cheech as far as style of play goes.

Another reason I don't see Doug trading Cheech until at least the draft, is because this team want to compete- that will be difficult if we trade Cheech and lose Clowe to an offer sheet (for the record, I do not expect this to happen), as we have no top 6 winger prospects (unless Couture is converted or we get lucky with McGinn or otherwise).

I expect Doug will get calls from, PITT, NYR, NYI, OTT, VAN, ATL, and St. Louis regarding Cheechoo.

Our needs are defensive prospects, top 6 winger prospects, possibly a top 4 d-man, and we could use a high end third liner who is cheap. Our Centers are set for a while with Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Mitchell, and Zalewski. While Nabby, Greiss, Sateri, Sexsmith, and Pielmier should provide adequate goaltending.
Richmond(top 2 closest for the NHL pens D prospect) + Fedetenko + pick

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
veronesepk

I would love to see Cheech on Crosby's wing or another playmaker like Savard. Sure, he's a one trick pony, but he's a nice pony.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post
Richmond(top 2 closest for the NHL pens D prospect) + Fedetenko + pick
It would be Letang, Gogo, Staal, or the 1st rounder. The Pens second will be 54-60, I would imagine. The Pens may not give up one of those four assets, and understandably so, but Wilson will likely get a better offer somewhere.

As far as Cheechoo on Savards wing, they already have Sturm, Kessel, Ryder, Lucic and a few other solid wingers, so Cheechoo probably isn't too high on the list. Also, isn't there a possibility Boston will look to move a winger for cap space next year? Or am I mistaken?

Old
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Let's wait until he's healthy

His value can be literally anywhere from a replacement player to a rocket richard winner.

The only reason the sharks might want to deal him is because of cap issues anyway.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
ReggieD

Send him down the 5 fwy to LA. He'd look good on a line with Kopitar and Frolov.

ReggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieD View Post
Send him down the 5 fwy to LA. He'd look good on a line with Kopitar and Frolov.
so does the PPG O'Sullivan

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieD View Post
Given the sheer number of picks LA has, and the near total lack of them that the Sharks have, and that DL is familiar with Cheech from his time with the Sharks (and that he reportedly has a good relationship with DW still from the same time).... and this one I could see happening. I just don't know that the Kings are really looking for any more wingers. Aren't they pretty set for the top 6?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Given the sheer number of picks LA has, and the near total lack of them that the Sharks have, and that DL is familiar with Cheech from his time with the Sharks (and that he reportedly has a good relationship with DW still from the same time).... and this one I could see happening. I just don't know that the Kings are really looking for any more wingers. Aren't they pretty set for the top 6?
Kyle Calder has been holding down the 2nd line LW spot in recent weeks. Moller and Purcell have shown varying degrees of promise but aren't guys I'd assume are ready for top 6 roles next year. Frolov is also UFA after next season. Like you, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Kings deal picks for Cheechoo. Just depends on how they feel about Moller and Purcell's development. At Moller will have the option of playing in the AHL next year unlike this year.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote