HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved, Jussi just sent here for Helminen and 2nd rounder

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 07:21 PM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
Whydo most people think that Nedved is here for the last 16 games. With Oates, Salo and most likely Ferguson gone, not to mention the fact that they are 2.5 mil under budget, we can afford Nedved.
Apparently him and Dvo are good buddies, so he may be willing to sign here longer term for Smyth money.

Lets not forget, teams aren't really lining up for him either, but to the Oilers he is a Godsent.

Old
KlingonHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I wonder what Lowe has up his sleaves for Salo.
A shiv?

Old
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
Nedved is way to expencive!
Salo hasta b traded now

Old
03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Someone called a Nedved to Edmonton trade...who was it??
That was I. I've said it since the beginning of the Season. Nedved had Oiler written all over him. I thought we would have got cash instead of Markenen, but hey, I'm not perfect.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksheit
Nedved is way to expencive!
Salo hasta b traded now
I agree, he hasta b trded..too much $$$...whos gunna take im wit dat phat contract tho?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Salo and Oates to NJ for a 4th round
FLAME AWAY

Old
03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Salo and Oates to NJ for a 4th round
If they are digesting all the salary, then go for it.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Mizral

I am absolutely disgusted.

Okay, let me first say this that early this year I was on the Nedved to Edmonton bangwagon. In fact, some might remember I posted a deal involving Nedved coming to Edmonton for Jani Rita in September. Most said that Nedved was overpaid and not very good to begin with, and they might have been right. They only have to pay him for 15 games here, so it's not that bad.

However, here's where I am disgusted:

Lowe clearly has not even a semblence of a 'plan'. The Comrie deal was supposed to signal a retooling. I at least understood the Oates deal since the Oilers were still in it.

This deal on the other hand isn't just bad, it reeks . TERRIBLE asset management by Lowe on this one, he could have gotten a cheaper centre than Nedved who wouldn't be flying the coop in a couple months for Comrie, and then gotten a decent defensive prospect with the picks.

Lowe actually thinks the Oilers can make the playoffs. I'm sorry, but that requires a massive leap of faith at this point. If the Oilers even lose 3 or 4 games in the next 17 they are pretty much out of it, that is, if the Flames and Kings go about .500.

This marks, in my mind, as the worst Lowe trade since Dopita. I like the player, but I hate the timing.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:29 PM
windowlicker

One trend with NYR's recent shedding of weight is....Is Sather trying to help out the Canadian teams before his time in NYR is up? Kovalev to Montreal, Nedved, Markkannen to Edmonton, Leetch to Toronto.

Is it safe to assume some sort of combination of Rucinsky, Jagr, Lindros & Barnaby will be dispersed among Vancouver, Calgary & Ottawa?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:31 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i said in the MacEachern thread that I think it would be much better to spend our 2nd on Nedved, I didn't know that Lowe was actually going to pull it off. I'm SO HAPPY about this deal its great we can keep Nedved here next year, and he may enjoy it so much he might sign for less !

Thome_26 and Mizral are going to be two very happy people tonight, they've been wanting Nedved here from the start of the year!

Old
03-03-2004, 07:33 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
originally posted by Mizral

Okay, let me first say this that early this year I was on the Nedved to Edmonton bangwagon. In fact, some might remember I posted a deal involving Nedved coming to Edmonton for Jani Rita in September. Most said that Nedved was overpaid and not very good to begin with, and they might have been right. They only have to pay him for 15 games here, so it's not that bad.

Lowe clearly has not even a semblence of a 'plan'. The Comrie deal was supposed to signal a retooling. I at least understood the Oates deal since the Oilers were still in it.

This deal on the other hand isn't just bad, it reeks . TERRIBLE asset management by Lowe on this one, he could have gotten a cheaper centre than Nedved who wouldn't be flying the coop in a couple months for Comrie, and then gotten a decent defensive prospect with the picks.

Lowe actually thinks the Oilers can make the playoffs. I'm sorry, but that requires a massive leap of faith at this point. If the Oilers even lose 3 or 4 games in the next 17 they are pretty much out of it, that is, if the Flames and Kings go about .500.

This marks, in my mind, as the worst Lowe trade since Dopita. I like the player, but I hate the timing.
Terrible asset management because he addressed this teams two biggest faults and didn't give up a roster player. Sure buddy whatever you say.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Terrible asset management because he addressed this teams two biggest faults and didn't give up a roster player. Sure buddy whatever you say.
Say that again to me in mid-March when the Oilers get mathematically eliminated.

Sorry, I am just really annoyed right now.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:35 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Say that again to me in mid-March when the Oilers get mathematically eliminated.
And you know this how exactly?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

man mizral i thought you would at least be happy that Lowe finally decided to do something

Lowe also addressed another need a goalie
Markkanen with Conklin can at least hold the fort down in goal it will be better than salo was this seaosn

Old
03-03-2004, 07:37 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
looks like i spoke to soon Mizral is really not happy with this

JEALOUSY!!!

Old
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Sorry, I am just really annoyed right now.
You are really out to lunch buddy - that ignore button would be handy now. The Oilers win their two games against the Kings and make up two points on them and they are in the playoffs because of wins. Sure, they have to play well the rest of the time, but it's better the quiting. Asset management? All the Oilers have is picks prospects and future. WTF is asset management if it isn't trading what you have alot of for something you've needed since Arnott!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Inform yourself before posting such strong statements. The Oilers are far from out of it and they gave up barely anything for Nedved.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:

All of what you say could be true...if Lowe has no plans on re-signing Nedved, and the Oilers miss the playoffs. However, if Lowe signes him to a multi-year deal at a reasonable rate, then everything you've said is moot, and Lowe wins this trade hands down - absolutely no question about it.

We'll see which Lowe shows up.

(By the way, if we win our H2H games with the Kings, we're only 2 pts back. It's not as bleak as it was even a week ago.)

Old
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Lowetide

Quote:

Lowe clearly has not even a semblence of a 'plan'.
Oh I don't know. imo, Helminen is a guy who certainly could have a long career, but the Oilers have other prospects who are developing well at center.

The 2 is alot, but Markkanen addresses a direct need.

I don't think its the best trade Lowe ever made (York for Poti), but this is certainly a solid deadline deal for him.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I called this deal SOOOOOOO long ago - I said it before the start of the season, I said it a couple days ago. It just makes perfect sense. I thought the Oilers would have had to give up more though, I will say that. Let's get Dvo over to LW and get our own Czech line going with Dvorak-Nedved-Hemsky
Good call on the trade prop , however that Czech line you've got there isn't going to happen. Hemmer and Dvo are both right-shooting rw's.

I could see York in that spot if Oates is still around, even though York shoots right as well. He's spent a lot of time on the lw.

Smyth is hot right now, if anyone should go with our new #1 pivot it should be Smyth, on rw our best player right now is probably BG, but Dvo will likely get the call for so many obvious reasons.

Smyth Nedved Dvorak. They'll have a few great shifts together, score a few goals, and then MacT will bemoan their apparent lack of chemistry. They'll never be seen together as a line again until two of them are injured and we're playing the Stars in the playoffs. Unless of course MacT has learned from his past mistakes.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
man mizral i thought you would at least be happy that Lowe finally decided to do something

Lowe also addressed another need a goalie
Markkanen with Conklin can at least hold the fort down in goal it will be better than salo was this seaosn
Miz is being a hypocrit. If we told him Lowe could do that deal if he wanted and the Oilers could do it financialy - he'd say Lowe wouldn't do it, even though it'd be smart, because Lowe is this or doesn't do this or that or whatever.

He's talking about asset managment - when we lost #15 on the list for prospects (a guy who PROBABLY would never play a game for us or any other NHL team) and a second. Plus we upgrade goalies big time.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
All of what you say could be true...if Lowe has no plans on re-signing Nedved, and the Oilers miss the playoffs. However, if Lowe signes him to a multi-year deal at a reasonable rate, then everything you've said is moot, and Lowe wins this trade hands down - absolutely no question about it.

We'll see which Lowe shows up.

(By the way, if we win our H2H games with the Kings, we're only 2 pts back. It's not as bleak as it was even a week ago.)
If Lowe wanted to resign him to a multi-year deal, he could have done as much when he was a UFA in a couple months and not lost any assets whatsoever.

Again, I like Nedved, but I am seeing some pretty strange flip-flops from some of the fans earlier.

Lowetide had a thread a week or so ago about how he (and most of the thread) hoped that Lowe didn't trade off young assets for a 'last gasp' try at the playoffs. Go back and read the Nedved threads before today, how many Oilers fans wanted to pick him up? VERY few.

Sorry guys, I can understand you are very excited right now - who wouldn't be after a trade. However, it will absolutely set in that this was a silly move by a GM who is trying to squeeze into a playoff spot no matter how small the chances.

Honestly, ask yourself this:

If you didn't believe the Oilers would make the playoffs yesterday, how could you possibly be in favour of this deal today?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:46 PM
SerbianEagle

Mizral, give up already. Every move made by Lowe is criticized by none other than yourself. I've seen you at Oilfans and i've seen you here.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Slats432

This is too big to not wade in on....

This was a deal that needed to be made two months ago, or four months ago...or when Comrie was still here.

As someone who has agreed we needed an upgrade at C and at G, I can't fault Lowe for making this deal. If he re-signs Nedved at a bit cheaper than his team option of $5 million, it is a very good deal for Edmonton.

We have a number one centre and a decent goaltending tandem. I will reserve judgement on this deal once the Oilers decide what to do with Nedved for next year. Because if this was a rental, it was too expensive. If it was to keep Nedved, then a solid deal for Edmonton and NYR(the purge continues...)

Regardless, kudos to K-Lo for stepping up and taking a swing. Something I always give Bobby Clarke props for. Good to see.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
if Lowe has no plans on re-signing Nedved
More likely, Edmonton will exercise the option on Nedved, and trade him next season for a draft pick. He may be a rental, but when you look at the costs of the asset;

1 - 2nd rounder
2 - Helimnen - (15th ranked Edmonton Prospect on Hockey's Future.)
3 - Valliquette - signed this season as a FA, cost us nothing.

So, Edmonton basically traded a second rounder, goalie signed earlier this year as a FA, and a low ranked prospect, for a better goalie and a top line player that they can keep for another year?

This isn't good asset management?

If they trade Nedved in the future, and get only a second rounder for him, will Miz be here telling us that Lowe couldn't trade a first liner for a first pick?

Old
03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Slats432

Quote:
If Lowe wanted to resign him to a multi-year deal, he could have done as much when he was a UFA in a couple months and not lost any assets whatsoever.

Again, I like Nedved, but I am seeing some pretty strange flip-flops from some of the fans earlier.

Lowetide had a thread a week or so ago about how he (and most of the thread) hoped that Lowe didn't trade off young assets for a 'last gasp' try at the playoffs. Go back and read the Nedved threads before today, how many Oilers fans wanted to pick him up? VERY few.

Sorry guys, I can understand you are very excited right now - who wouldn't be after a trade. However, it will absolutely set in that this was a silly move by a GM who is trying to squeeze into a playoff spot no matter how small the chances.

Honestly, ask yourself this:

If you didn't believe the Oilers would make the playoffs yesterday, how could you possibly be in favour of this deal today?
Team option on the contract, he isn't UFA. And if not the Oil, someone else. And he didn't trade much of an asset other than our 3rd or 4th ranked centre prospect.

Sorry Mirzal, I see you want to punish Kevin Lowe for his failings and average GMhood, but in this case, you won't find much support.

If you want to attack Lowe, then just attack the fact that his deal for a C should have been done two months ago, and it should have been Robert Lang, who makes the same money but garnered better return.(At the time Nedved wouldn't have been available, while Lang might have.)

Last edited by Slats432: 03-03-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Closed Thread