HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nedved, Jussi just sent here for Helminen and 2nd rounder

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Mizral, have you ever seen Jussi play? He is very good goalie, and his nick doesn't really fit him.
If he was so good, why did Kevin Lowe trade him in the first place?

Old
03-03-2004, 08:26 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Mizral, even at $5mil, Nedved isn't that bad.

I mean, all he is would be a stop gap until some of the Oilers young centres can step up. They gave up nothing substantial for him, he isn't signed to a long term deal, and he plays a stlye that fits in the with the Oilers.

They trade a goalie, but get a much better goalie in return, one who can split duties with Ty next year (which was another big need for the Oilers), and they gave up none of their major assets to do so.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:26 PM
SerbianEagle

Simple, 3 NHL goalies who have to pass through waivers. Didn't want to loose either of them for nothing. Lowe was banking on Salo being his old self, and decided to move Markanen instead of a younger, although slightly, Conklin. He was right about Conklin, but missed badly on Salo, and now got Markanen back.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

...and that's why Kevin Lowe is the Oilers' GM and Mizral is not.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:29 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
mizral quit trolling.

you say that you know a lot about the oilers team well show it here

why did Kevin Lowe trade him. hell you should be able to answer that if u were an oilers fan.

Also bad assett management. a very good 2nd liner for basically a 2nd round pick which was a compensatory pick WHICH i believe we traded a 4th for. Hmm Nedved for a 4th indeed it must be bad management since we couldn't get him for a 9th.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
If he was so good, why did Kevin Lowe trade him in the first place?
You're an "Oilers fan"... you should know the story.

One of Conklin or Markkanen had to be traded and Conklin was the cheaper alternative (and their abilities are pretty equal).

Old
03-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Mizral, even at $5mil, Nedved isn't that bad.
Nedved in 61 games is a -9, and has 14 goals and 31 points in that span.

That would place Nedved in last on the Oilers +/- chart (okay, different team)

Nedved is now 6th in points for the Oilers, 2 points behind Ales Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff

5th in goals, 2 goals behind Ethan Moreau

Now I have no doubt that Nedved can improve on that on the Oilers. He's no longer a 70-point scorer anymore, friends. At $3 million, he's fine. At $5 million, that's just terrible.

EDIT: I'm done on this thread for now. I don't mean to antagonize, I am simply flabergasted at this move. We can revisit the issue in a couple weeks.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Someone called a Nedved to Edmonton trade...who was it??

Thank you! Thank you! but seriously, I'd like to thank the academy...

er, I think it was a freak accident that I predicted the Nedved deal but did that stop me from peeing my pants with glee when I heard the shizznit go down? NOPE! hahaha

Good on KLowe! I hope this gets all the haters off his back (and I mean you Les Mizirable). Hmm.. good time for another one of these "On or Off the Bus" Polls..

Old
03-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

If he is unhappy with Lowe after making a trade that improved the Oilers, I don't want to imagine what Mizral has done to the Oilers in his ESPN NHL Hockey Franchise.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:35 PM
SerbianEagle

Mizral, name one guy on the Rangers who earned his money this year. Case can be made that Dvo played bad on NYR last year before coming here.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Asiaoil

This is just the kind of deal I was hoping to see – getting a legit veteran NHL center at the deadline so that he and the team can feel each other out. If Nedved comes to Edmonton and is comfortable / productive – well great – we can negotiate a multi-year extension over the summer for a reasonable dollar figure. That’s the best scenario.

If he just doesn’t want to be here or flops then all we have done is get Jussi back and lose a 4th round pick, a minor prospect and a free agent AHL goalie. As others have said – it also sends a message to the room that the GM has not given up on this year.

I know it’s hard to get used to folks – but the lean years and cutting are now paying off. If we dump Salo, Oates and maybe Smith - we CAN afford a legit veteran center. Maybe it’s Nedved – maybe someone else – but we will have a decent #1 center and goalie in place by the time play starts again after the CBA is re-negotiated.

It's all about good asset management and Lowe has been pretty damn effective in collecting lots of cheap young assets and avoiding under-performing long-term expensive contracts. That's cap mgmt and hockey fans will probably hear a lot about that under the new CBA.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:

In the best case scenario, the Oilers slip into the playoffs, lose in the first round to the #1 or #2 team, Oilers make $2 million in the playoff round, Nedved is let go as a UFA - in this scenario, the Oilers basically moved a 2nd round pick (I'm regarding the rest of the dela for Maarkanen to being equal) for $2 million dollars, which isn't terrible, but isn't wonderful either.
No, best case scenario is that regardless of what happens this year, Nedved is re-upped for, say, 3 years @ $2.5-$3 mill per. He becomes the big first-line centre we need, and he and Dvorak regain the chemistry they once had. The Oilers can finally ice two scoring lines and are back in the playoffs next year, MAYBE even with a home seed, if Lowe aquires a show-stopping goaltender.

Quote:
EDIT: And once again, I remind people - there is no way Sather would re-up Nedved at $5 million (yes, even the Rangers). The Oilers could have had him for nothing as a UFA if they really wanted him, plus it likely would have been cheaper.
If Sather doesn't pick up the option, more than likely he'd be re-signing him to a contract with a lower salary. Nedved isn't stupid - I doub't he'd want to take a chance on the open market when there's a proposed (speculating) 3 year deal in front of his face, especially in a year where everyone will be leary of signing free agents anyway (due to the impending lockout). Now, If the Rangers won't give him $5 mil, who else possibly would? All of those reasons are why there'd be next to no chance of him being availiable to the Oilers this summer as a UFA.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Mizral, name one guy on the Rangers who earned his money this year. Case can be made that Dvo played bad on NYR last year before coming here.
Dan Lacouture, Jamie Lundmark, Jed Ortmayer, Matthew Barnaby. Maybe Mark Messier, I can't remember what his contract was to begin with.

Okay, that's it! I'll leave this issue for another week or two.

Old
SerbianEagle

Quote:
If he is unhappy with Lowe after making a trade that improved the Oilers, I don't want to imagine what Mizral has done to the Oilers in his ESPN NHL Hockey Franchise.
"What they still managed to win a game"...."Who the hell is that Dvorak guy" "Let me make a few more trades for Edmonton"

Edmonton Journal the next day

Dvorak in Vancouver for a 9th round draft pick in 2222.

Old
dawgbone

Quote:

Nedved is now 6th in points for the Oilers, 2 points behind Ales Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff

Now I have no doubt that Nedved can improve on that on the Oilers. He's no longer a 70-point scorer anymore, friends. At $3 million, he's fine. At $5 million, that's just terrible.
Is it not better than giving up something tangible for a player of similar talent but a cheaper price tag?

At somepoint, you need to look at what you give up vs how much money it will cost you. Resource wise, Nedved was dirt cheap, meaning that maybe you can afford to overpay him a tad for what you need him for.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
"What they still managed to win a game"...."Who the hell is that Dvorak guy" "Let me make a few more trades for Edmonton"

Edmonton Journal the next day

Dvorak in Vancouver for a 9th round draft pick in 2222.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

I'm going to make a bold prediction here:

Oates and Ferguson to Detroit for Anders Myrvold and a 4th round draft pick. (it's just a prediction)

reasons:

1. Detroit needs an experienced Centreman. Draper is out 4 weeks (maybe longer) with a shoulder injury, suffered today in practice. Oates has been playing well lately and could spark some interest from the Wings. Especially when considering that his Anaheim buddy Steve Thomas is there, he could finish his career where it started.

2. Detroit needs a veteran defenseman. Eventhough Hatcher is due back soon, they still need a big d-man who can move bodies in front of the net. Ferguson is cheap and doesn't have much future here.

Myrvold is a big d-man who would be an improvement over Ferguson.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:

EDIT: I'm done on this thread for now. I don't mean to antagonize, I am simply flabergasted at this move. We can revisit the issue in a couple weeks.
I take it you haven't seen Horcoff play more than five games in the year 2004, buddy.

If Nedved was traded to the Canucks, you'd expect the Vancouver media to talk about how great of a trade this was for Vancouver and how smart Brian Burke is, eh? Then again, the Vancouver media would go above and beyond those expectations probably.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 03-03-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 08:44 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I take it you haven't seen Horcoff play more than five games in the year 2004 buddy.
Or Moreau for that matter.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Shame I'm not mod otherwise I would have locked this thread when you put that stupid inflamatory post earlier about bad asset management etc with a nice selection of words that made it look just "discussionary" (if such a word exists)

as for the trade its another risk, can Nedved turn it around himself, from what I've seen he is a hard worked and is in good physical shape so perhaps he could start producing straight away.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Or Moreau for that matter.
Yep. Sixteen goals from a guy that's expected to prevent goals, not score them.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Digger12

Just to fuel the love... :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=74788

Sounds like the Rag$ could be picking up the remainder of Nedved's salary this year to boot, Petr playing on their tab sounds not too shabby to me.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:54 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Again, if this was done a few months ago, this is a great deal. But right now, there's just no reasoning here.
Again, as I said, I like Nedved and this move 2 months ago would have been nice. But right now, this is, as I said, the worst move since Jiri Dopita.
If this was 2 months ago, there was no way in hell we'd be able to get Nedved for a 2nd, Helminen and Big Valley.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
I'm done on this thread for now. I don't mean to antagonize, I am simply flabergasted at this move. We can revisit the issue in a couple weeks.
Good idea. Sit down with your head between your legs, and breath into a paper bag. This will have a calming effect. We will hear from you in a couple of weeks.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
goldenchild

i don't see why everyone gets so upset at comments made by a poser who is NOT an Oilers fan.

Closed Thread