HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mats Sundin: The final insult

View Poll Results: Where will the big Swede end up?
Montreal 21 12.07%
Vancouver 79 45.40%
Chicago 7 4.02%
NY Rangers 24 13.79%
Other 43 24.71%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Macke*

vCash: 500
Mats Sundin: The final insult

Well, it sounds like we are near the end of this..."saga"

Sundin has said he needs to make a decision in two weeks (Swedish interview) and his agent has said December 15th...

So where does he end up?

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

Over/Under a month?

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Macke*

As time has gone by now I am leaning towards yes, the Vancouver Canucks..

It just makes sense.

the Money, the goaltending, the Swedes..

Though i think he has a better chance to win a Cup with say the Rangers..I think he'll be a Canuck very soon.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

He signs with the Sharks for a min salary!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I really had to think about that one.

What we know, according to Brian Burke and JP Barry:
  • he wants to win a Cup
  • money is no issue
  • he doesn't want to travel too much

Vancouver? Travel, money not an issue, not a contender in spite of what some of their fans think. Even with Sundin, they'll never get through San Jose or Detroit in my opinion. I know that the wolfpack will be all over that comment, but it's just an opinion, no better or no worse than Canucks' fans.

Chicago? See Vancouver.

The Eastern conference has limited travel and it's wide open to reach the Stanley Cup finals. So this leaves New York and Montreal...

Montreal: It would be rather easy for them to get under the cap to get him, but he's had many occasions to sign with them in the last 6 months or so and hasn't done so in spite of saying that he's impressed with the organization. My gut tells me that had he really wanted to go there, he would be signed by now... but I'm hoping to be wrong.

New York: It would be interesting to see what they unload to get Sundin under the cap, but something tells me that this is his top destination for whatever reason. I voted the Rangers.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Roulin

Vancouver has cash, has shown they can compete on the ice, and have shown interest in Mats throughout this whole thing. I voted Nucks.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Luongo2008*

Vancouver....

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

• he wants to win a Cup
  • money is no issue

Vancouver? Travel, money not an issue, not a contender in spite of what some of their fans think. Even with Sundin, they'll never get through San Jose or Detroit in my opinion. I know that the wolfpack will be all over that comment, but it's just an opinion, no better or no worse than Canucks' fans.

Chicago? See Vancouver.

The Eastern conference has limited travel and it's wide open to reach the Stanley Cup finals. So this leaves New York and Montreal...

Montreal: It would be rather easy for them to get under the cap to get him, but he's had many occasions to sign with them in the last 6 months or so and hasn't done so in spite of saying that he's impressed with the organization. My gut tells me that had he really wanted to go there, he would be signed by now... but I'm hoping to be wrong.

New York: It would be interesting to see what they unload to get Sundin under the cap, but something tells me that this is his top destination for whatever reason. I voted the Rangers.
Kinda deserve the wolfpack unless you reason your opinion. Unless its just a feeling. Canucks are showing they can accomplish more than what was predicted of them already a quarter into the season. Was it too long ago that the majority voted Vancouver easily the last team in the Northwest division?

Chicago is also in the same boat. Achieving more than what was expected. The only difference is the cap situation. But that can be solved.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:20 AM
vcx*

Shero trades Fedotenko + Eaton, for some late pick and a prospect in need of a change of scenery, then he signs Sundin for the rest of the season at 4m and Sundin joins Malkin's line and everyone hates the Pens and their fans more for adding another piece to the offense like Mats.

Sounds dumb right? Well it's on par with the thoughts most people seem to have about some teams and what they will do in this thread.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:21 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunnyfufu View Post
Kinda deserve the wolfpack unless you reason your opinion. Unless its just a feeling. Canucks are showing they can accomplish more than what was predicted of them already a quarter into the season. Was it too long ago that the majority voted Vancouver easily the last team in the Northwest division?

Chicago is also in the same boat. Achieving more than what was expected. The only difference is the cap situation. But that can be solved.
You are talking about a team, while good, that has to contend with Detroit, who is currently playing with a seemingly underperforming D, and San Jose, a team that has lost only 5 times in 27 games

Clearly the number 1 and 2 teams in the league

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:22 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
You are talking about a team, while good, that has to contend with Detroit, who is currently playing with a seemingly underperforming D, and San Jose, a team that has lost only 5 times in 27 games

Clearly the number 1 and 2 teams in the league
Amazing, you can tell which team is going to go far in the playoffs by watching just 25-27 games?

You should get your own show and move to Vegas.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'll say Vancouver, there are enough Swedes there to make him feel at "home" (since Detroit probably can't afford him anyways), and it's still Canadian if he wants to stay north of the border. Should be a relief just to see this soap opera end.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:28 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Amazing, you can tell which team is going to go far in the playoffs by watching just 25-27 games?

You should get your own show and move to Vegas.
Does it irritate you to know that teams out there are better than other teams? It doesnt irritate me.
Give me 1 better device by which someone can determine how well a team will do in the future.
Sure, we could have another Darkhorse come around, or we could see Detroit/San Jose collapse. But it's INCREDIBLY UNLIKELY

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Does it irritate you to know that teams out there are better than other teams? It doesnt irritate me.
Give me 1 better device by which someone can determine how well a team will do in the future.
Sure, we could have another Darkhorse come around, or we could see Detroit/San Jose collapse. But it's INCREDIBLY UNLIKELY
Yes it's better to estimate top two teams to reach the finals right?

You can't be sure all the time. Detroit has been the top team in the league for last 5 years (winning presidents trophy in 3 of 5 years) but made it to the finals once in that span.

In the playoffs, anything can happen as Edmonton proved years ago. If Sundin joins Vancouver or Chicago and he was exactly the right formula for the team to catch on fire, wouldn't that give a greater chance for the team to do well in the playoffs?

Vancouver, for example, has already won 2 games out of 4 against Detroit. And the two games lost against Detroit were one goal decisions. You cannot be confident in saying Detroit will easily put away the Canucks if I present you this, that in fact the two teams were matched up well against each other.

Back on topic, because of these reasons above, Sundin maybe considering Vancouver or Chicago.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

He announces he's not really sure, and is still considering several teams options, but hopes to decide by February 1st. He's been blowing off "deadlines" since the offseason, I don't see why he'd stop now.

On the topic of San Jose, I'll believe they'll get past the 2nd round when I see it. That whole team, and especially Michalek killed me in my playoff pool last year.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:26 AM
excape

Quote:
The series between Detroit and Vancouver this season is 2-2, albeit both wins being in OT (still says more than shootouts, though).

San Jose, on the other hand, I don't see any team (except for Detroit) in both the western and eastern conference getting past them in a 7 game series. They are just dominant. Of course, anything can happen.

If Sundin wants the best chance at a cup this year, he'll sign with San Jose; that is, if they'll take him.

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Spawn

Well since people are throwing out teams with hardly any cap space as potential candidates... what about the Caps? Ovechkin and Sundin would be devastating together.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Well since people are throwing out teams with hardly any cap space as potential candidates... what about the Caps? Ovechkin and Sundin would be devastating together.
The Caps probably have a lot more Cap space after putting almost half their team on IR.

In the end, I doubt he's going to be able to choose another team over the Leafs, so I think he's most likely to take the rest of the season off, and come back next year, if he can reconcile himself to it.

Although if he wants to sign for minimum, I'm sure the Wings can ditch a scrub to fit him in.Please?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:

• he wants to win a Cup
  • money is no issue

Chicago? See Vancouver.

Even without Sundin (and with a healthy lineup though), Detroit wouldn't scare me if the Canucks faced them. Not that I don't think they're a great team, it's just that Vancouver always plays Detroit extremely tight and seems to have a great counter for the Red Wing's system.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Kostik20

Well...definetly not Chicago....we cant even afford to keep our own players...yet alone sign someone like Mats

Kostik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:57 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by excape View Post
The series between Detroit and Vancouver this season is 2-2, albeit both wins being in OT (still says more than shootouts, though).

San Jose, on the other hand, I don't see any team (except for Detroit) in both the western and eastern conference getting past them in a 7 game series. They are just dominant. Of course, anything can happen.

If Sundin wants the best chance at a cup this year, he'll sign with San Jose; that is, if they'll take him.
And often does....Think 96 Wings, heck, think Senators a couple years ago at this time. I remember in the early regular season I was terrified of the Wings seeing that team in the playoffs. Of course, not too terricfied, since the sens are one of my "fallback' teams.....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Peter Griffin

Vancouver makes the most sense. They have the cap space to not only offer him the biggest contract, but they wouldn't have to downgrade their current roster at all, and they would still have some cap space left over at the deadline to make additional moves. Not only that, but Gillis himself said it would only seem to coincidental should Sundin make his decision to sign with Vancouver after they return from their longest road trip of the season. After December 15th their longest road trip is a 6 game trip in the Mid-West over a 10 day span.

And to say that Vancouver, even with Sundin, isn't a contender, is just plain ignorant. The Canucks are a whopping 3 points back of the Habs despite missing their best player for close to 10 games. It's about time this team started gettin some respect.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:37 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Vancouver makes the most sense. They have the cap space to not only offer him the biggest contract, but they wouldn't have to downgrade their current roster at all, and they would still have some cap space left over at the deadline to make additional moves. Not only that, but Gillis himself said it would only seem to coincidental should Sundin make his decision to sign with Vancouver after they return from their longest road trip of the season. After December 15th their longest road trip is a 6 game trip in the Mid-West over a 10 day span.

And to say that Vancouver, even with Sundin, isn't a contender, is just plain ignorant. The Canucks are a whopping 3 points back of the Habs despite missing their best player for close to 10 games. It's about time this team started gettin some respect.
What if I said the Habs werent a contender either?

Even with Sundin I think the Canucks or Habs would be behind at least 2 teams in their conference (Bruins + Pens or Sharks + Detroit).

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Why would anyone believe a Sundin deadline? It's got about as much chance of materializing as an E1.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Dgill

Who cares anymore, I hope Sundin signs somewheres and doesn't win the cup, even gets a season ending injury. What he is doing is childish and is taking advantage of the league. I do believe last spring he said he did not want to be traded because he wanted to be with a cup winner since Day 1? He has overrun numerous deadlines, he barely knows if his head is screwed on.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote