HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are not a cup contender team this year , but ...

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
HabsBaby18*

vCash: 500
We are not a cup contender team this year , but ...

We are certainly not a cup contender this year ... I know about Carolina , Anaheim , Minnesota ect. But I don't think we can win the cup this year ... Sure I hope to win it , but I don't think so.

But I do think that in 3 years , we will certainly be a great team. With Katsysin , Perezhogin , Higgins , Komisarek and others. I know that they will not reach all of their potential , but right now we are making the playoffs with one of the best prospect team in the league , it is really remarkable.

Let the leafs get older and we will have a good mix of young and old talents.

Markov will get better , Theo is a prime time goaltender and still relatively young (27).

We weren't suppose to have so much success , remember that it was a rebuilding phase. Now it is not the same thing. Yes we are rebuilding , but because young players have emerge really good and provide a great seasons (Ryder , Ribeiro) , we can just look forward and we can't worry on anything , because we have a playoffs team + some greats prospect.

If Therrien would still have be here , Ryder , Souray and Ribeiro would not have emergence like they did. APPLAUD CLAUDE JULIEN for his work. He is the guy that made us have Kovalev (In a way) . Therrien was a good coach , but ryder and ribeiro wouldn't have made the team under his wings (well maybe , but not this year , so Kovalev wouldn't have been WITH US)

Old
03-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I disagree.

Flame me all you want, but I think Gainey will make another move or two (like a defenseman and either a checking center or another top 6 forward) and we will contend this year.

I BELIEVE. CAPTAIN K HOISTING THE CUP ABOVE HIS HEAD THIS JUNE.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I disagree.

Flame me all you want, but I think Gainey will make another move or two (like a defenseman and either a checking center or another top 6 forward) and we will contend this year.

Right now we are not contender , but IF Gainey makes other moves , maybe we will , but for now we are not , but anything can change with Gainey , I agree with that .

Give some big time respect to Claude Julien , habs fan , he truly deserves it !!!!!

Old
03-03-2004, 08:50 PM
HF-Addict

Remember that Coke Pub at the beginning of the year????

COULD IT BE TRUE, Habbies with the Cup

*Hope I won't wake up *

Old
03-03-2004, 08:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Right now we are not contender , but IF Gainey makes other moves , maybe we will , but for now we are not , but anything can change with Gainey , I agree with that .

Give some big time respect to Claude Julien , habs fan , he truly deserves it !!!!!
How are we not contenders?

We have two legit scoring lines, a good checking line and a depth 4th line not to mention a decent D corps and a very good #1 goalie in Theo...when it comes to playoff hockey our style of play is what wins games.

We have as good of a chance as of any other team IMO.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Anyone in the playoffs are basicly "contenders" because anything can happen, i.e Anaheim and Minnie and Carolina as examples.

Anyway what we needed to become a true contender was a world-class offensive talent, and Kovalev is just that. Most people will say we still need some more grit, which is true, and if we go out and get that, we're a pretty complete team IMO and could go very deep into the post-season.

Your statement is true. I agree with it. I know that everything can happen BUT we still need more IMO (I might be wrong , will see , but I don't expect a cup from what we have right now)

Old
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
right on sakuuuu I BELIEVE too,
and by the looks of it to me BG believes more then any of us, he didnt make this move without having a few more tricks up his sleeve, we will cuase havok! and our dark horses shall ride!
GOHABSGO!!!!!!

Old
03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Why would you think we aren't a cup contender? When certainly our GM seems to think so, and makes a big move to land a franchise player, do you really think montreal just did this to say, "well, we'll wait 3 years and *hope* our prospects develop" ? No, hockey doesnt work that way, if you have the chance, you take it, we're lucky enough to have that chance, this team has alot of character and to be honest i like our chances.

we need more grits , we did not see what ribeiro and ryder will do in the playoff , it is some interrogation ... They are some other team that have more depth than us (Look philly , Ottawa) that's why I am saying that we are not a cup contender ... If we get some more grits , maybe it will change , but for now , I don't think so.

I am not setting the bar too high like some are doing , it is just my opinion , you have the right to think that they are a real cup contender , I respect that , but I got to dissagree

Last edited by HabsBaby18: 03-03-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
We need more in terms of what?
Defense. We need a big physical defenseman to have a solid top four.

We also need more gritty forwards..

Old
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
If Theodore keep it up sky is the limit

Old
03-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Riggins

We have Kovalev now. So we're going to win the Cup?

I realize anything can happen.

But don't take this attitude outside the Habs forum.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:05 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
we need more grits , we did not see what ribeiro and ryder will do in the playoff , it is some interrogation ... They are some other team that have more depth than us (Look philly) , that's why I am saying that we are not a cup contender ... If we get some more grits , maybe it will change , but for now , I don't think so.
habsbaby chill
do honestly think BG took the "giant leap" in aquiring kovalev not to take 2 small steps in aquiring the grit we need?
HES not done!
and that why i believe!

Old
03-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
we need more grits , we did not see what ribeiro and ryder will do in the playoff , it is some interrogation ... They are some other team that have more depth than us (Look philly , Ottawa) that's why I am saying that we are not a cup contender ... If we get some more grits , maybe it will change , but for now , I don't think so.

I am not setting the bar too high like some are doing , it is just my opinion , you have the right to think that they are a real cup contender , I respect that , but I got to dissagree

We were not real cup contenders in 93 and had only 86 pts in 86.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:06 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
Defense. We need a big physical defenseman to have a solid top four.

We also need more gritty forwards..
If we could get a guy like Brenden Witt , it will be a nice pickup. But some habs fan , does not seem to be to high on this guy (not really from this board , from some others)

Old
03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
We were not real cup contenders in 93 and had only 86 pts in 86.

I know about 93 , but it has been 10 years now , I will not take this example to think that the Habs have a real chance to win it (my opinion) . I know that anything can happen , but for what I think , we need more improvement. That's the basic that I am saying

People seemed to miss my other point , will you give some credit to Julien or not ? , lol

Last edited by HabsBaby18: 03-03-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
I know about 93 , but it has been 10 years now , I will not take this example to think that the Habs have a real chance to win it (my opinion) . I know that anything can happen , but for what I think , we need more improvement. That's the basic that I am saying

People seemed to miss my other point , will you give some credit to Julien or not , lol
i like julien. hes defensive but if he wasnt, we wouldnt be winning.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:22 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Anything can happen, we need 2 line player to replace Dags, and Souray back to the form he had before the injury and why not. Let's go for the cup!!!!

Closed Thread