HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How much do you think Price would get on an extension today?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
  #1
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
How much do you think Price would get on an extension today?

... or next summer? What do you think is his value now and what do you think Bob would give him? Do you think Price would be the guy to give a 6-10 years deal to?

Personally I'd feel comfortable giving him a 6 yrs deal @ 4M a year. I don't know if his agent would say yes though, his value will be 6-7M a year in the near future..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:05 AM
  #2
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
He would cost upwards of 6 million. This is why we couldn't sign Streit for 2.5 M people! This needs all the cap room it can get for the future and can't afford luxuries like him. Sure, he's good on the PP and this team's PP is struggling but one player is not going to change that on his own. The PP is usually a coaching thing. There is a PP QB already on the team, but the coaches haven't found which guy should be the triggerman. On a weaker team, there might be none, but on this team with all its talent, there's got to be somebody who can do the job (Andrei! the other one).

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
  #3
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
I doubt he would get 6 million in the summer, unless we want to the finals. He's still very young and will only have 1 full NHL season under his belt. Ya he's been great, but in terms of contracts and money right now, I would probably give him 4.5 million, maybe 5. He has only a couple games worth of playoff experience. These are all things i'd consider if I were Bob.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
  #4
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
6 million? Hell no, he has the potential to be a 6 million dollar goalie but he has a lot to prove yet.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
  #5
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
He would cost upwards of 6 million. This is why we couldn't sign Streit for 2.5 M people! This needs all the cap room it can get for the future and can't afford luxuries like him. Sure, he's good on the PP and this team's PP is struggling but one player is not going to change that on his own. The PP is usually a coaching thing. There is a PP QB already on the team, but the coaches haven't found which guy should be the triggerman. On a weaker team, there might be none, but on this team with all its talent, there's got to be somebody who can do the job (Andrei! the other one).
6M?..lolll

Actually, we could have resigned Streit at about 2.5-3M had we signed him to an extension during the season.
I know his gf. Before last season, he was trying to sign an extension for 2M.

So you're wrong on both counts.

Price wouldn't cost us more than 3M as of today. He hasn't done anything yet and his playoff performance, which is the most important thing, is still a question mark. Nobody would invest 6M in an unproven Playoff Performer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
  #6
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
whats with 6 million with some people on here? First it was Komi, now Price lol

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
  #7
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
6M?..lolll

Actually, we could have resigned Streit at about 2.5-3M had we signed him to an extension during the season.
I know his gf. Before last season, he was trying to sign an extension for 2M.

So you're wrong on both counts.

Price wouldn't cost us more than 3M as of today. He hasn't done anything yet and his playoff performance, which is the most important thing, is still a question mark. Nobody would invest 6M in an unproven Playoff Performer.

Luongo has done nothing in the playoffs, he makes 7 mil a season . I dont think Price is worth that much yet but in 4-5 years he will be close.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
  #8
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
He might make $8M on a 2-year deal, then go from there. There's no real need to sign him long-term right now unless you're going to give him a DiPietro deal.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
  #9
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
6M is not that crazy if he was to sign a very long-term contract. How much did DiPietro get in NY? 10 yrs @ 5M per or something?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
  #10
habs1988
Registered User
 
habs1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: I don't know
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
5.5-6M for 10 years!

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
  #11
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Luongo has done nothing in the playoffs, he makes 7 mil a season . I dont think Price is worth that much yet but in 4-5 years he will be close.
I don't think I have to explain to you how Price and Luongo are in completely different scenario, but for the fun of it..

Luongo is arguably one of the best goalies in the league and is playing his 9th season. He took crappy teams to the POs, where he still played great. Price played 60ish games and it's a fact he collapsed in the POs last season.

In 4-5 years, we will see. The kid doesn't even have a full NHL season under his belt.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
  #12
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
3.5M top.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:21 AM
  #13
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
... or next summer? What do you think is his value now and what do you think Bob would give him? Do you think Price would be the guy to give a 6-10 years deal to?

Personally I'd feel comfortable giving him a 6 yrs deal @ 4M a year. I don't know if his agent would say yes though, his value will be 6-7M a year in the near future..
If they add 2 years he probably gets 3-3.5 mil...if they want to add 5-6 years then it will be 4-4.5 cap hit.

The benefits of trying to sign him long term before his contract is up outweigh the negatives...BUT some players lose a bit of drive once they know they "have it made" financially. I hope Price is not one of those.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
  #14
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
3.5M top.
Yeah, you guys should be able to get about 3 more years of him under $4mil before the big bucks kick in. Much like we did with Miller.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:25 AM
  #15
vesperal
Registered User
 
vesperal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
As long as Pierre Boivin is still team president, the habs won't sign anyone for more than 7 years. He's too intelligent and economically aware to put such an uninsurable risk on the team roster.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
  #16
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
6M is not that crazy if he was to sign a very long-term contract. How much did DiPietro get in NY? 10 yrs @ 5M per or something?
Look where the Islanders are now, long term deal and Dipietro is a regular on IR list...no thanks on the long term deals.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
  #17
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,937
vCash: 500
3 year 3.25 million / year

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
  #18
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
It will all depend how long he signs the deal for.If it's under 3 years probably under 4 million a year and if it's for 7-8 years probably around 5,5 a year on average

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
  #19
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think I have to explain to you how Price and Luongo are in completely different scenario, but for the fun of it..

Luongo is arguably one of the best goalies in the league and is playing his 9th season. He took crappy teams to the POs, where he still played great. Price played 60ish games and it's a fact he collapsed in the POs last season.

In 4-5 years, we will see. The kid doesn't even have a full NHL season under his belt.
just for fun ... Luongo has taken his teams to the playoffs once in 9 years... his record 5wins 7 losses....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
  #20
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
just for fun ... Luongo has taken his teams to the playoffs once in 9 years... his record 5wins 7 losses....
Are you serious?
Please tell me you're joking..

Luongo played for Florida..one of the worst teams. In no way is it his fault they didn't make the POs.
In VAN, he was the main reason why they made the PO in 3rd spot, and even with a losing record he held a 1.77GAA and .94 Sv%...how is that bad exactly?
When you allow on average less than 2Goals a game but lose, then there's a problem with the Offense, not goaltending.

What the hell are you talking about..Are you seriously trying to dismiss the talent of Luongo and compare him to Price??..Either you're completely ignorant or you were joking..hopefully it's the latter one.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
  #21
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Are you serious?
Please tell me you're joking..

Luongo played for Florida..one of the worst teams. In no way is it his fault they didn't make the POs.
In VAN, he was the main reason why they made the PO in 3rd spot, and even with a losing record he held a 1.77GAA and .94 Sv%...how is that bad exactly?
When you allow on average less than 2Goals a game but lose, then there's a problem with the Offense, not goaltending.

What the hell are you talking about..Are you seriously trying to dismiss the talent of Luongo and compare him to Price??..Either you're completely ignorant or you were joking..hopefully it's the latter one.
Don't get hissy. He was merely pointing out the guy's record.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
  #22
DevFan-RU-
Registered User
 
DevFan-RU-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Watching him the other night... he will only get better as he gets older. His glove hand is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick quick.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
  #23
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
hahahahaha relax , Price will be an all star goalie who will be getting big bucks in the future!!


Last edited by habdynasty: 12-08-2008 at 01:07 PM.
habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
  #24
Arctic_Hab_Fan
Registered User
 
Arctic_Hab_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
hahahahaha relax , Price will be an all star goalie who will be getting big bucks in the future!!
I'd rather he gets the Stanley Cup, NHL Hardwares etc etc, then be remembered like a Cujo.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
  #25
totalrecall
 
totalrecall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
3m-4m, should be about right

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.