HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Former Flyers booted

Old
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Former Flyers booted

Well I am 19 and have been a hockey fan since '95, but I didnt actually begin to follow up on stats, players, trades, or even the rules of the game until about '00. I was just wondering why guys like Lindros, Gratton, etc. left on such bad terms. And this goes for all players ever to put on a Flyers uniform. I just never remembered anything that significant. I remember I started loving Gratton and Lindros in their heyday here in Philly but I dont remember the conditions that they left because I really didnt care.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Gratton got his huge contract, so he was satisfied.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Lindros's problems were many: Bad relationship with Clarke, injuries, blamed for lack of effort, the fact that he let his parents run his life. You name a problem, chances are Lindros had it when he was with this team. The biggest one for me was his problem with putting up a consistent effort game in and game out. Players who play on the own terms should never be candidates to be apart of this team for a long term.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
slitz

gratton is a thief. he stole $9 million from this franchise

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

What about other players that we have run out of town. I just want to get a feel for what I have missed. Im talking about players in the 70's 80's 90's.

Old
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
flyersfan97

Gratton couldn't get out of town fast enough if you ask me. What a waste of money that useless piece of garbage was.

A lot that went on in the 90's had to do with Lindros-"allegedly." There were always rumors about who he wanted to play with and who he didn't.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Opus

Speaking of Lindros, what was the name of his dog(s) again?

Were they great danes?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Sec201

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
What about other players that we have run out of town. I just want to get a feel for what I have missed. Im talking about players in the 70's 80's 90's.
Hmmm does Kyle Calders name ring a bell?

Sec201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:12 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Any details one deal gratton signed? How big a contract and for how long

Old
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Any details one deal gratton signed? How big a contract and for how long
he signed a RFA offer sheet worth somethine like $16M for 5 years with a $9M signing bonus

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I still blame the Gratton fiasco on Wayne Cashman. The guy had no clue how to use Gratton. And it wasn't as if Gratton was that bad his first year here. He put up good numbers his first year. However, the guy was bounced all over the place, from line to line and by the time Gratton's second season in Philadelphia rolled around, he was cut up and done. Cashman and Roger Nielson deserve a healthy dosing of blame for what happened to Chris Gratton.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
HappyKappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Speaking of Lindros, what was the name of his dog(s) again?

Were they great danes?
Just one, I believe. Bacchus was its name.

HappyKappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:48 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Well, I know Brind'a'mour was traded because of problems with another player on the team, and someone sleeping with someone else's wife or something like that. I'm bad with details.

I can't say for sure on why other players were dealt or went elsewhere before the 90s. I feel, for the most part, if a player does what he is asked to do for the Flyers, then there won't be many problems between them and management. The Flyers did make a lot of trades in the 90s to make cup runs that fell short, and I think that had a lot to do with why certain players were dealt.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Well, I know Brind'a'mour was traded because of problems with another player on the team, and someone sleeping with someone else's wife or something like that. I'm bad with details.
I thought the rumor was Lindros was sleeping with his wife and Brindy went to Clarke wanting Lindros gone. Brindy was traded. Moral of the story: Lindros got what he wanted. He also got a collapsed lung.

One trade that always puzzled me was the Langkow trade. He wasn't a bad player, except for that goal he accidentally scored on us. Since being traded he's been nothing short of a reliable and often top line player. In the end we got the pick used for Carter, so I guess it worked out.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
slitz

to take the rumor one step further: lindros was doing brindy's wife. everyone on the team found out. tocchet beat up lindors in the dressing room, giving him another concussion. (remember the concussion that supposedly happened in practice when franny lessard accidentally hit lindros in the chin with his helmet, yet none of the beat writers saw it? hmmmmm). with all this chaos, someone had to go. you couldnt trade lindros, so brindamour was traded

Old
12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
slitz

and to the original thread starter: please name specific guys that were "run out of town". aside from the lindros saga, gratton, and chechmanek, I dont know that guys were "run out of town". guys come and go all the time for a variety of reason like poor play, bad chemistry, etc

Old
12-08-2008, 12:23 PM
slitz

in related news, gratton continues to suck. he was waived by tampa today

Old
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Sundevil9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
and to the original thread starter: please name specific guys that were "run out of town". aside from the lindros saga, gratton, and chechmanek, I dont know that guys were "run out of town". guys come and go all the time for a variety of reason like poor play, bad chemistry, etc
Brad McCrimmon was traded because he wanted to get paid a decent amount of money and held out. Little Snider was in charge then and shipped him out (to Calgary?). Little Snider ran afoul of Mr. Snider soon thereafter and was shipped off to sunny California to run Specta-something-or-anther out there.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil9 View Post
Brad McCrimmon was traded because he wanted to get paid a decent amount of money and held out. Little Snider was in charge then and shipped him out (to Calgary?). Little Snider ran afoul of Mr. Snider soon thereafter and was shipped off to sunny California to run Specta-something-or-anther out there.
The McCrimmon trade was done by Clarke and he later admitted that he botched that situation. McCrimmon held out at the start of the 1986-87 season. Clarke took offers that season but didn't get full value. McCrimmon wanted something like a four or a five year deal. He was suspended when he refused to play and then missed early games (nine or ten, in that range). The team and McCrimmon reached a one-year deal as I recall. Then after the Cup run, the Flyers supposedly met McCrimmon's demand on the length of the contract but he wanted more $$$. The difference was minimal, especially by today's standards. Clarke was quoted, too, as saying he wasn't a fan of McCrimmon (the person not the player). Then the trade happened.

Jay S. was involved in other bad deals.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
slitz

i remember a cartoon from the hockey news that year. it had clarke trying to give a little halloweener mccrimmon instead of candy

Old
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
to take the rumor one step further: lindros was doing brindy's wife. everyone on the team found out. tocchet beat up lindors in the dressing room, giving him another concussion. (remember the concussion that supposedly happened in practice when franny lessard accidentally hit lindros in the chin with his helmet, yet none of the beat writers saw it? hmmmmm). with all this chaos, someone had to go. you couldnt trade lindros, so brindamour was traded
yeah that ones been around forever. it says alot about the respect the guys in the room had and still have for roddy that it hasnt come out as confirmed yet everyone who was a fan at the time believes it so. id so buy a book that gave all the details of the lindros drama

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote