HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I'm glad we lost...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:32 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
I'm glad we lost...

But still got a point. Now hopefully Carbo can get Kosto off that Tanguay/Pleky line. Alex and Thomas have shown great skill, speed and creativity with chemistry, and Kostopoulos is an outstanding 4th liner, but no more that a 4th liner, and was holding that line back. Carbo simply won't change lines as long as we win, and I understand the reasoning, but it's in the teams long term interest to put someone with skill and vision along with those two on that line.

And as opportunistic as D'Agostini has been, he's not ready yet for the roll we're giving him. Next year he, Chips, and Pacioretty will all be ready, but it's time to get Lats and Sergei back into the mix...

Laps and Begin have been great, so I think it's time Kosto takes Laraques spot on the 4th line again. Also Lats and S. Kost need to get back in the top 9 mix, with Kosto dropping down, and once we can justify sending Dago back to Hamilton (which we can't yet but it's only a matter of time) all will be well once again in habland...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Call me crazy but based on the effort level of the past few games, TK deserves way more ice time than Tanguay. Tanguay is super invisible

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Chomsky

You do realize D'agostini scored a goal tonight and has 4 pts in his first 4 games this year right...?

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
You do realize D'agostini scored a goal tonight and has 4 pts in his first 4 games this year right...?
We can't justify sending him down yet obviously, but he won't be able to keep it up IMO, and will be sent back down in 10-14 days is my guess...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:37 PM
mlandry

"and once we can justify sending Dago back to Hamilton"

Are you kidding? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!!

He's been in the AHL for years, and he's CLEARLY ready. I'm not saying if he goes on a 10 game drought after this we should keep him up anyways but the guys is good for the team. He's been better than most of our other players the past 4 games. Don't even think of sending him down, it's madness.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
But still got a point. Now hopefully Carbo can get Kosto off that Tanguay/Pleky line. Alex and Thomas have shown great skill, speed and creativity with chemistry, and Kostopoulos is an outstanding 4th liner, but no more that a 4th liner, and was holding that line back. Carbo simply won't change lines as long as we win, and I understand the reasoning, but it's in the teams long term interest to put someone with skill and vision along with those two on that line.

And as opportunistic as D'Agostini has been, he's not ready yet for the roll we're giving him. Next year he, Chips, and Pacioretty will all be ready, but it's time to get Lats and Sergei back into the mix...

Laps and Begin have been great, so I think it's time Kosto takes Laraques spot on the 4th line again. Also Lats and S. Kost need to get back in the top 9 mix, with Kosto dropping down, and once we can justify sending Dago back to Hamilton (which we can't yet but it's only a matter of time) all will be well once again in habland...
Plekanec and tanguay are palying like crap. Kosto's effort prevented them from being a terrible line. Plekanec either lost the puck or skated back towards his net with it. Tanguay refuses to shoot even from the slot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Call me crazy but based on the effort level of the past few games, TK deserves way more ice time than Tanguay. Tanguay is super invisible
I disagree strongly. Tanguay was EXCELLENT tonight, and has been our best forward all year...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
We can't justify sending him down yet obviously, but he won't be able to keep it up IMO, and will be sent back down in 10-14 days is my guess...
What tells you that he won be able to keep it up? Carbo said he was doing everything else than scoring well and that his production was the icing on the cake, not so sure about him being sent down. O'byrne yes.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
mlandry

Quote:
I disagree strongly. Tanguay was EXCELLENT tonight, and has been our best forward all year...
I'm glad you aren't our GM...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Next Best Thing*

Plekanec isn't helping this team win right now.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I'm glad you aren't our GM...
You obviously only see what the score sheet tells you. Tanguays two-way hockey sense and skill is outstanding, and is a joy to watch. Has been a most pleasant surprise for me...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:44 PM
mlandry

Quote:
You obviously only see what the score sheet tells you. Tanguays two-way hockey sense and skill is outstanding, and is a joy to watch. Has been a most pleasant surprise for me...
Tanguay is good but he's not our best forward and he's having problems recently.

We have no clear best forward this season, except MAYBE Koivu because of his consistent effort, but even he has been less visible these past few games (mostly due to AKost shining, probably due to playing with Koivu).

Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Plekanec isn't helping this team win right now.
He's struggling production wise no doubt, but he and Tanguay were great together and just need someone who can finish beside them. Like maybe an Akost or a Lats...

Old
curtisl1982

I thought Plekanec was kind of weak on the puck in the offense zone tonight, especially on the PP, but he played well defensively.

Tanguay played alright, made some excellent passes in the O-zone, but he had a terrible time on one of the PP.

I agree that although Kostopolous is a hard worker, he has hands of stone. Carbo should reinsert SK or Lats.

curtisl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Tanguay is good but he's not our best forward and he's having problems recently.

We have no clear best forward this season, except MAYBE Koivu because of his consistent effort, but even he has been less visible these past few games (mostly due to AKost shining, probably due to playing with Koivu).
Tanguay has been our best forward this year IMO. His smart two way play, and great vision, creativity and skill has made him great. He's been shuffled around though, but I loved the chemistry he and Pleks showed. It was just a shame for me that they couldn't play more than a 2 man game in the offensive zone though, since Kostopoulos hardly fits with them...

Old
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Maybe switch Higgins and Kostopoulos. Kosto and Lang seemed to work well when they were together and Higgins and Plekanec have a bit of chemistry.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Erika

Quote:

Finally, someone who understands me. I love you !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Maybe switch Higgins and Kostopoulos. Kosto and Lang seemed to work well when they were together and Higgins and Plekanec have a bit of chemistry.
Sergei Kostitsyn says hi for next game alongside Tanguay and Plekanec.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
prairie hab

I can't believe this entire thread.........

Tanguay played like crap??? He was misfiring on the PP early, but otherwise was the best player on his line tonight.

WHEN WILL HABS FANS AND THE COACHING STAFF ALIKE REALIZE THAT CHRIS HIGGINS IS THE PLAYER LEAST DESERVING OF HIS ICE TIME?

He is just AWFUL. No hands, no hockey sense, passes into people's skates all the time. If he is such a defensively aware player like many seem to claim he is, then why is he not one of our top PK guys?

I do notlike Latendresse any more than Higgins, but Lats deserves a chance to get back in the lineup over Higgins.

How he manages to wear the "A" is beyond me................

Move him before he becomes absolutely worthless.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

Tanguay played like crap??? He was misfiring on the PP early, but otherwise was the best player on his line tonight.

WHEN WILL HABS FANS AND THE COACHING STAFF ALIKE REALIZE THAT CHRIS HIGGINS IS THE PLAYER LEAST DESERVING OF HIS ICE TIME?

He is just AWFUL. No hands, no hockey sense, passes into people's skates all the time. If he is such a defensively aware player like many seem to claim he is, then why is he not one of our top PK guys?

I do notlike Latendresse any more than Higgins, but Lats deserves a chance to get back in the lineup over Higgins.

How does he manage to wear the "A" is beyond me................

Move him before he becomes absolutely worthless

Thank you very much !!

\thread

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Belso

Ok, first I'm never happy the Habs loose..

Second, D'Agostini has played long enough in the AHL, Carbo was given all sorts of good reports from Hamilton about him and has 3 goals in 4 games (1 more the Tender, even with Sergei, 2 less the Kovy). He's not going anywhere...

If anything, keep rotating or send Sergei down to work on his game. He's only got himself to blame for loosing his spot. As far as I know, he can be sent down without being put on waivers. Now don't get me wrong, he's going to be a great player as far as I know, but on a team with depth like the Habs, you have to wait your turn if you've lost your spot. This season, Begin and Dandenault both went through it.

I don't see the Habs trading any young player unless a GM wants to trade someone you can't refuse.. Like Kovalchuk. We don't know if Kovalev and Koivu will comeback next season.. Let's say Kovalev gets a better offer from NY or Pittsburgh next season, would you blam him if he left? What about Saku ending his career with Mikko?? Wouldn't blame him either.. So you need to keep your young RFA in case they leave.

If Saku and Kovalev sign again for a few years, then you can see in the off season who you can trade.. But for now Carbo has to keep his juggling act going and play the best player's he's got to win games and right now, D'Agostini is hot!

I'll be Damned if the Habs miss the play-offs by 2 points again!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Luongo2008*

Thank God Kovalev is an UFA at the end of the season...the sooner hes gone the better.

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

How he manages to wear the "A" is beyond me................

Move him before he becomes absolutely worthless.
BTW you are being a little too hard on Higgins. He's not supposed to be a 50 goal scorer. He was drafted to be a 2 way center.. He's actually been above expectations. He's lost a lot of confidence this season and he just needs time and help to rebuild it..

You know, there are a lot of guys who play "only" for the money. There are also guys who complain about everything. I'm talking about Malakov's and Samsonov's and Grabovsky's, etc.. Higgins actually bleeds for this team. When he doesn't play well, he feels horrible. He wants the team to win and he never complains about ice time. He does what his coach tells him to and works his ass off even though it doesn't always show in pts. How often do you see him take a selfish penalty? He gives it all for the team. Your team. That's what makes a leader. That's why he wares the "A" on his chest. Remember when the Rangers used to have the highest salary in the NHL before the lockout? The guys who had the most points had the A's and C's but that didn't make them a winning team did it? Kostopolous even wore the "C" for the Kings for some short period of time from what I was told.

I'm just asking you to remember that. I'm not flaming you or anything. I just want you to see that there's more to a player then his stats on paper... I would like to see him score more too, but I can't take away his passion for this team..

Give Higgins some time and don't expect him to be a 40-50 goal player. He's not.

Another note, who's got the most leadership in Hamilton? Who's Captain? Chipchura who was like 4th or 5th in team points when D'Agostini was called up..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:05 AM
muzion

Plekanec is horrible right now. Taking horrible decisions with the puck, showing absolutely no vision on the ice, taking bad shots, weak in the corners, etc. I'm no fan of Tanguay but he's gotta be frustrated playing pretty much with two 4th liners right now.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
BTW you are being a little too hard on Higgins. He's not supposed to be a 50 goal scorer. He was drafted to be a 2 way center.. He's actually been above expectations. He's lost a lot of confidence this season and he just needs time and help to rebuild it..

You know, there are a lot of guys who play "only" for the money. There are also guys who complain about everything. I'm talking about Malakov's and Samsonov's and Grabovsky's, etc.. Higgins actually bleeds for this team. When he doesn't play well, he feels horrible. He wants the team to win and he never complains about ice time. He does what his coach tells him to and works his ass off even though it doesn't always show in pts. How often do you see him take a selfish penalty? He gives it all for the team. Your team. That's what makes a leader. That's why he wares the "A" on his chest. Remember when the Rangers used to have the highest salary in the NHL before the lockout? The guys who had the most points had the A's and C's but that didn't make them a winning team did it? Kostopolous even wore the "C" for the Kings for some short period of time from what I was told.

I'm just asking you to remember that. I'm not flaming you or anything. I just want you to see that there's more to a player then his stats on paper... I would like to see him score more too, but I can't take away his passion for this team..

Give Higgins some time and don't expect him to be a 40-50 goal player. He's not.

Another note, who's got the most leadership in Hamilton? Who's Captain? Chipchura who was like 4th or 5th in team points when D'Agostini was called up..

I take no offense from your reply. What I can't figure out is Higgins' role:

A scorer?
A playmaker?
A defensive forward?
A hitter/energy player?

Which one is it?

I cannot for the life of me figure out what he does to justify 1st/2nd line minutes. He has not always played such minutes, but for the better part of two years he has. He needs to step up his game - I agree with you he is not a 40/50 goal guy - never will be. But he should at least be making players around him better and I do not see that.

I agree with your assessment on Chipchura: why he is not playing with the big club right now is beyond me. Here is a guy who can do a bit of EVERYTHING well. Smart, protects the puck, has scoring ability, hits, forechecks, cycles the puck effectively and is great in his own end. Will drop the mitts when he has to as well. A bit weak on faceoffs, and not the fastest skater but can skate better than GUI or LANG any day of the week...........

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:37 AM
CloudReader

Higgins' problem right now is that he's playing on a line that doesn't suit his style at all. He likes to forecheck, Kovalev and Lang likes to "patiently" float around, offering no support. Higgins just looks lost out there.

That line has to be disbanded the sooner the better. Or replace Lang with someone more up-tempo.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote