HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Players - Waiver Eligible?

Old
12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Young Players - Waiver Eligible?

There seems to be a lot of confusion over whether O'Byrne can be sent down or not. I think I have it figured out, but if anyone knows more about it, help us understand.

ADD: I decided to add a few other plays who are sometimes confused like Latendresse, etc.

My reasoning;

O'Byrne signed his first pro contract at the age of 22.

According to this, a player who signs his first contract at 22-years old, has 3 years of exemption unless they play 70 or more NHL games.

Right now, O'Byrne is in his 3rd season and he has played in 56 NHL games (52 regular season, 4 playoff). This, as far as my understanding goes, means he can be sent down, without clearing waivers, until he plays 14 more games this season.

However, next season, if O'Byrne was not to make the team out of training camp (or at any point of the year), he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.

SOURCE: http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

SERGEI KOSTITSYN (signed first contract at 20) is waiver exempt as he has only played 87 NHL games (75 regular season + 12 playoff). Once he hits 160 games (73 games) he is no longer eligible to be be sent down without clearing waivers. He also has one more year of exemption after this season if he doesn't hit 160 games.

JAROSLAV HALAK (signed first contract at 20) is exempt from waivers for this year. After this year, he will not be able to be sent down without clearing. If Halak plays 50 more games this season, he won't be able to be sent down without clearing waivers.

CAREY PRICE (signed first contract at 19) has, including this season, 4 years to be sent down without clearing, until he plays in 7 more NHL games. Once he plays in 7 more games, he'll have to clear waivers to be sent down.

MUST CLEAR WAIVERS TO BE SENT DOWN

Just so people know GUILLAUME LATENDRESSE (signed first contract at 19, meaning he had 4 years and/or 160 games), is no longer waiver exempt as he played in 161 games as of the start of this season. He cracked his eligibility to be sent down during the playoffs last year.

MAXIM LAPIERRE (signed first contract at 20), is no longer waiver exempt. He had a 3-year window, which expired at the end of last season.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 12-07-2008 at 05:37 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Patty Roy

If O'Byrne is waiver exempt at this point i cant for the life of me understand why he hasn't already been sent down.

He needs to play and regain his confidence.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion over whether O'Byrne can be sent down or not. I think I have it figured out, but if anyone knows more about it, help us understand.

ADD: I decided to add a few other plays who are sometimes confused like Latendresse, etc.

My reasoning;

O'Byrne signed his first pro contract at the age of 22.

According to this, a player who signs his first contract at 22-years old, has 3 years of exemption unless they play 70 or more NHL games.

Right now, O'Byrne is in his 3rd season and he has played in 56 NHL games (52 regular season, 4 playoff). This, as far as my understanding goes, means he can be sent down, without clearing waivers, until he plays 14 more games this season.

However, next season, if O'Byrne was not to make the team out of training camp (or at any point of the year), he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL.

SOURCE: http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

SERGEI KOSTITSYN (signed first contract at 20) is waiver exempt as he has only played 87 NHL games (75 regular season + 12 playoff). Once he hits 160 games (73 games) he is no longer eligible to be be sent down without clearing waivers.

JAROSLAV HALAK (signed first contract at 20) is exempt from waivers for this year. After this year, he will not be able to be sent down without clearing. If Halak plays 50 more games this season, he won't be able to be sent down without clearing waivers.

CAREY PRICE (signed first contract at 19) has, including this season, 4 years to be sent down without clearing, until he plays in 7 more NHL games. Once he plays in 7 more games, he'll have to clear waivers to be sent down.

MUST CLEAR WAIVERS TO BE SENT DOWN

Just so people know GUILLAUME LATENDRESSE (signed first contract at 19, meaning he had 4 years and/or 160 games), is no longer waiver exempt as he played in 161 games as of the start of this season. He cracked his eligibility to be sent down during the playoffs last year.

MAXIM LAPIERRE (signed first contract at 20), is no longer waiver exempt. He had a 3-year window, which expired at the end of last season.
Somewhere in Montreal Bergeron, Lemay and Villeneuve are

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
If O'Byrne is waiver exempt at this point i cant for the life of me understand why he hasn't already been sent down.

i'm assuming they're keeping him up in case of another D injury

Once Komi comes back, he'll be sent down

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post

Quick judgement isn't a confidence booster. If they do intend on sending him down, waiting a while to show it was a 'tough' decision and a 'numbers game' might make the guy more at ease then "score in your net, your flight's at 9"

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote