HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gear needed to start playing?

Old
12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Sel37

vCash: 500
Gear needed to start playing?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into hockey after about a 12 year absence. Life got way to busy but has slowed down and I've never lost the itch to play.

I was a lot younger when I played and didn't worry too much about the protective gear. I got by with the bare bones shin guard, elbow pads, gloves, helmet. That was pretty much the extent of my gear and it worked just fine.

But I've been researching whats available now and there is a ton of protective gear that I could buy. I'm sure it was available when I first started playing, I just never used it.

So now since I have so many options, I'm really feeling lost. Aside from the basic elements above, what else do I really need?

What about the hockey girdles (as I've seen them called...basically paded shorts)? Are those needed? And how exactly do you wear these? Do you put these on over a pair of shorts, pants, or what?

For roller hockey in a non-check league, would you guys recommend shoulder pads?

What about the roller hockey pants? It seems like a top layer to cover up all the pads so they're not visible... Wouldn't the pants get shredded after a few good falls?

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I really want to get back into this but feel a little out of place.

Thanks!

Sel37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
tamtamg

did the same thing recently. i got a lot of good responses from the guys over at modsquadhockey. check out the thread: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=43557

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
OK, if you're wanting to get into roller, you'll need inline skates (get ones for roller hockey, not that trash from Kmart with the soft boots and the stoppers on the back), shin guards (fancy gadget pads not really a necessity here, roller pucks are lighter and won't do as much damage as the ol' burnt biscuit), a roller hockey girdle and the pants to go over it. Roller hockey pants are pretty substantial and are made out of thick nylon in all the right places. You'll also need elbow pads (don't go for the cheap soft ones, invest in something with a hard cap) and a helmet/cage combo. A lot of guys don't wear shoulder pads in roller, or they just wear something like the Mission Thorax padded shirt with small, hard caps on the shoulders. Get whatever gloves are right for you, size, price and protection are the guidelines you have to go by.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
OK, if you're wanting to get into roller, you'll need inline skates (get ones for roller hockey, not that trash from Kmart with the soft boots and the stoppers on the back), shin guards (fancy gadget pads not really a necessity here, roller pucks are lighter and won't do as much damage as the ol' burnt biscuit), a roller hockey girdle and the pants to go over it. Roller hockey pants are pretty substantial and are made out of thick nylon in all the right places. You'll also need elbow pads (don't go for the cheap soft ones, invest in something with a hard cap) and a helmet/cage combo. A lot of guys don't wear shoulder pads in roller, or they just wear something like the Mission Thorax padded shirt with small, hard caps on the shoulders. Get whatever gloves are right for you, size, price and protection are the guidelines you have to go by.
Add to that that you will want a girdle, not so much for pucks, but impacts happen in any form of hockey and it hurts a lot less when you fall.. and you wear it over a jock. If you want to have plain cup over your boxers that's fine, but I would recommend a real jock with a cup built in.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Add to that that you will want a girdle, not so much for pucks, but impacts happen in any form of hockey and it hurts a lot less when you fall.. and you wear it over a jock. If you want to have plain cup over your boxers that's fine, but I would recommend a real jock with a cup built in.
Yeah, and a roller hockey girdle is lighter than its ice counterpart. Ice girdles will have plastic inserts in addition to foam, where the inline girdle will have just different density foam inserts.

Also, when it comes to the cup, make sure you handle your biz and keep the boys snug. Roller puck or not, the rink is no place for a cheap vasectomy.

Old
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Sel37

Thanks for the replies so far.

To clarify, I am talking more about roller hockey then ice. There is a nearby roller hockey rink that would be easy for me to go to.

I'm still a bit confused about the hockey girdle though... Most of them seem to advertise a built in cup. Would this serve to replace a standalone cup/jock? I don't know how much protection you would get from the girdle if it has a built in cup.

If the girdle has a built in cup and would do the trick, that would seem like a good buy in my mind. I'd get two items in one in a way...but I dont know if I'd be trading off anything.

Thoughts?

Sel37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Patrick Bateman

Most girdles with the built in cups are no good because they don't fit snugly down on your junk. IIRC Mission makes this padded compression short with a cup that would be perfect for your needs.

edit: here you go http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MTG

Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sel37 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

To clarify, I am talking more about roller hockey then ice. There is a nearby roller hockey rink that would be easy for me to go to.

I'm still a bit confused about the hockey girdle though... Most of them seem to advertise a built in cup. Would this serve to replace a standalone cup/jock? I don't know how much protection you would get from the girdle if it has a built in cup.

If the girdle has a built in cup and would do the trick, that would seem like a good buy in my mind. I'd get two items in one in a way...but I dont know if I'd be trading off anything.

Thoughts?
I think most have a built in cup holder. I still use the jock "shorts" thing underneath of mine anyways... just seems like better protection.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
wildebeest

On the TMI tip, I wear a regular jockstrap with a cup pouch - I put the cup in there, then put the compression shorts with the velcro tabs over the top of that, then hockey pants (I play ice only). The compression shorts with the built-in cup pouch just don't seem secure enough.

When I don the goalie gear, I wear the goalie cup over that setup before i put goalie pants on. You can never be too secure.

Old
12-08-2008, 10:27 PM
NYR_LAT

Lhs

Or, If you know where you're going to play, and they have a pro-shop, consider spending a couple of extra bucks on them and let them outfit you properly.

Most rinks have some kind of learn to play program, etc. and set guys up from scratch all the time.

You'll save some cash online, yeah, but having a decent relationship with a knowledgeable proshop staff pays back big time when you need a little help evaluating equipment or upgrades...

NYR_LAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:09 AM
wildebeest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_LAT View Post
Or, If you know where you're going to play, and they have a pro-shop, consider spending a couple of extra bucks on them and let them outfit you properly.

Most rinks have some kind of learn to play program, etc. and set guys up from scratch all the time.

You'll save some cash online, yeah, but having a decent relationship with a knowledgeable proshop staff pays back big time when you need a little help evaluating equipment or upgrades...
Truer words have never been spoken. I head into my LHS first for everything and usually get a better hookup than I would at the monkey or the "giant".