HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kalinin is dreadful

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2008, 10:05 PM
  #26
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea yea I agree but they are tight on the cap and they do not need to spend 2.1 million on a 6th Dman that has one of the wost plus minus in the league

I much rather have Potter and a cheap 7th Dman , save over a million and then use those savings, what they have now and Prucha's money to get a scoring winger ..............

anyways I think it only makes sense but so many people think i am a fool saying it
I am still in the minority that believes Kalinin will improve as the season goes along. Not all players settle into a new team after a quater of a season, there are enough good things he is doing to be patient with him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
  #27
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
He's only here for a year. The problem isn't our defense, but more so our offense.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:49 PM
  #28
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
he certainly was not the reason the rangers lost today
Exactly. These fans blame all the wrong guys for all the wrong reasons.

How about we look at the fact that we could not put a puck in the net? Kalinin was not why we lost.

Henrik let up 2 bad goals tonight but this loss is not his fault either. Not one of the forwards did their jobs thats why we lost.

How come when Malik was tops in plus/minus every one was quick to minimize that stat? Now that it helps you people further your whipping boy agenda, +/- is relevant. Pretty interesting flip flop if you ask me.

And also you guys act like he is supposed to be great. You find me more than a few select teams that have great #6 d-men. Good luck.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:36 AM
  #29
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,097
vCash: 500
Kalinin is bad? LOL...he's been one of our more solid d-men.

1. Girardi
2. Staal
3. Mara
4. Kalinin
5. Rozsival
6. Redden

That's how i'd rank them.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
  #30
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Kalinin is bad? LOL...he's been one of our more solid d-men.

1. Girardi
2. Staal
3. Mara
4. Kalinin
5. Rozsival
6. Redden

That's how i'd rank them.
Only Rod Brind'Amour has worse +/- than Kalinin. Are you insane?
He will hit the bottom mark soon.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
  #31
brettholmesx
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: new jersey
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
give him a break
went from the run and gun sabres to us who play that defensive system.
not an easy transition.

hes the least of our problems
although dumping his salary and letting potter stay i would rather see, but either way hes not the problem

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
  #32
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,074
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Plus Minus Boogeyman = Marek Malik -- enough said.

Using +/- as your argument is flawed. Kalinin does a lot more good than bad when he is on the ice.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
  #33
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Funny, we ignored +/- when Malik was involved, and focus on it with Kalinin. He hasn't been good, but hasn't really been bad either.

I would say Rozi was worse, but his play really has been better lately. Maybe it really was his offseason surgeries that had him lose a step earlier on.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
  #34
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Funny, we ignored +/- when Malik was involved, and focus on it with Kalinin. He hasn't been good, but hasn't really been bad either.

I would say Rozi was worse, but his play really has been better lately. Maybe it really was his offseason surgeries that had him lose a step earlier on.
Hopefully people are understanding there is more to a defenseman than making some hits and the occasional turnover.

The most important aspect of being a defenseman is the choices you make and your positioning. Malik was excellent at those things and this was a huge reason he has always been a big positive in his career.


Plus/Minus makes sense with defensemen... Goals aren't scored as much when a defenseman is coming on or off the ice. With forwards, plus minus isn't nearly as accurate.

Kalinin sucks, his numbers prove it, but he's not as horrendous as Malik was with the turnovers (plus he hits more) then more people are willing to give him a pass. HOpefully some Rangers fans are learning something here about hockey.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
  #35
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,517
vCash: 500
I would love some nickname for Kalinin like Kasparminus, but it's hard to get one. Nothing that's negative or minus sounding rhymes with his name.

Dimitri Kaliminus

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
  #36
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure we need to score at least 1 goal to have a chance to win a freakin' game, so maybe we should focus on that.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
  #37
DrewN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
All I remember is watching the Calgary game, and thinking "Dammit Kalinin would you please hit the freakin' net for once ???!??!?"

DrewN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
  #38
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
All I remember is watching the Calgary game, and thinking "Dammit Kalinin would you please hit the freakin' net for once ???!??!?"
Funny, because this whole season I've been thinking the same thing every game about 1/2 the lineup...at least.

And that goes for all of the top 6 D-men.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
  #39
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
All I remember is watching the Calgary game, and thinking "Dammit Kalinin would you please hit the freakin' net for once ???!??!?"
All I remember thinking is "What the hell is this team doing?"

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:26 AM
  #40
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Kalinin is minus 15 on a team with a good record.
Malik is minus 1 on a dreadful team.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:15 AM
  #41
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
Funny, because this whole season I've been thinking the same thing every game about 1/2 the lineup...at least.

And that goes for all of the top 6 D-men.
I was about to post the same exact my figure was more like 3/4 of the lineup.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:50 AM
  #42
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
to the posts above

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
  #43
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 50
as of thursday 11 december:

kalinin is second-last in the NHL with -17, last being rod brind'amout with -20...

i know that a lot of people discredit the +/- stat, but it is sure hard to ignore...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
  #44
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Kalinin is minus 15 on a team with a good record.
Malik is minus 1 on a dreadful team.
Quoted for freaking truth.

Hope people take it as a lesson in hockey. The stuff you see when the puck is around a defenseman isn't even half of what makes a defenseman good or bad. Malik would make 9 very good passes out of the zone for every bad 1 and people just stick to those bad ones. Also the fact he didn't play physical was a huge factor.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
  #45
dfings
 
dfings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
Lets also point out he was a -2 in the game against the Thrashers. The 1st goal can be blamed on him for not covering the middle of the ice. The 2nd goal was either him or Drury with a blown assignment by not covering Kovolchuk.

dfings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
  #46
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
as of thursday 11 december:

kalinin is second-last in the NHL with -17, last being rod brind'amout with -20...

i know that a lot of people discredit the +/- stat, but it is sure hard to ignore...
Brindamour? really? hasnt he always been considered a good defensive foward? I guess Carolina isn't that good, but minus 20? wow...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
  #47
NorthlandPro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suwanee GA
Country: United States
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Bad things, like a goal against, happen for a reason. It is not an accident. Granted there are times a player, or players, get a minus because they jumped on the ice after a bad line change that directly led to a goal against. But, for the most part he has been on the ice and out of position. How many times have you seen him and his partner on the same side of the ice? Often. That a lack of awareness and discipline on his part. Look, he is a one year replacement. As soon as a player like Sauer, who is fully recovered from his ACL injury, and has played enough games I look for the NYRs to waive him and his salary. Young players like Potter and Sauer could not do any worst and they will cost a fraction of the cap hit. It is just a matter of time. Some team may get racked up with injuries to their blueline and a warm body like him will look good. We could end up with a useful draft pick.

NorthlandPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
  #48
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Kalinin is minus 15 on a team with a good record.
Malik is minus 1 on a dreadful team.
You should look at the goal differential, not the team record...Rangers have only scored more than 2 goals than they have allowed...Having said that, the minus 15 is still awful...I'm not big on the plus minus sats, but it is certainly hard to ignore...Was never a big fan of Kalinin...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
  #49
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
Bad things, like a goal against, happen for a reason. It is not an accident. Granted there are times a player, or players, get a minus because they jumped on the ice after a bad line change that directly led to a goal against. But, for the most part he has been on the ice and out of position. How many times have you seen him and his partner on the same side of the ice? Often. That a lack of awareness and discipline on his part. Look, he is a one year replacement. As soon as a player like Sauer, who is fully recovered from his ACL injury, and has played enough games I look for the NYRs to waive him and his salary. Young players like Potter and Sauer could not do any worst and they will cost a fraction of the cap hit. It is just a matter of time. Some team may get racked up with injuries to their blueline and a warm body like him will look good. We could end up with a useful draft pick.
Well, Kalinin is a FA after this year...last night, Kalinin got caught up ice and Mara did a nice job of breaking up a 2 on 1...He seems to get caught up ice a lot for a defenseman that isn't even producing offensively...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
  #50
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
The reason that +/- was ignored with Malik is because a coordinated effort was usually made to have the 5-some of Jagr-Nylander-Straka-Roszival-Malik on the ice together at even strength as much as possible...probably at the urging of Jagr.

I dont see that this year really. I see Renney rolling 4 lines and the 3 defense pairings and not caring much about the combinations. As a result, Kalinen's awful +/- does hold some merit to how hes been playing. In my opinion hes gotten worse as the season has progressed..and if this continues, the coaching staff should give serious consideration to sitting him in favor of Potter.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.