HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL-players with dual citizenship

Old
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Pellegrino

vCash: 500
AHL-players with dual citizenship

Anyone has a list of AHLers with dual citizenship? I'm looking after players who have one north american and one european passport.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Portland Pirates Fan

This is an odd question

Portland Pirates Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Pirates Fan View Post
This is an odd question
Not quite, but I can see your confusion. Let's say there's an American who's also a Greek citizen (like Dimitrakos). Such a player wouldn't count against the non-EU player limit in the SEL.

I assume that is your reason for asking, Pellegrino?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 04:58 PM
PIMking

wierd question.

I dont play in the ahl obviously but I was born in germany from a german mother and my father was an american solider. So at this moment I carry both german and american citizenship. Its a pain in the butt when I get pulled over.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2008, 05:43 PM
JoeLH

I assume that Ducks/ Chops defenseman Brett Festerling has a dual citizenship: canadian and german. Reason: His twin Garrett is playing in Hannover (DEL) for the league leading Scorpions - with a german passport that allows him not to require one of the 11 "licences" for foreign players per team in the DEL.

Festerling is a german name and there should be no reason why one twin has a german passport but not the other ..

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Tommy Hawk

This is very personal and private information that should not be requested or responded to, IMO, on a message board. The information is not public information and borderlines on invasion of privacy.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
This is very personal and private information that should not be requested or responded to, IMO, on a message board. The information is not public information and borderlines on invasion of privacy.
It was a simple question wolvesfan. I dont think he wanted it for bad intentions. But if thats the case dont play for your country if you dont want people to know were your from.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I think some of this info gets into the public from player decisions. Just like when Brett Hull decided to play for Team USA because he had dual citizenship. I think the poster is just looking for info that has made it into the public arena.

12-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Pellegrino

I didn't realize this was such a sensitive and private subject in North America. The will and need(?) to keep a nationality in secret seems very strange to me as a Swede. People (including players) with dual citizenships here are happy to tell others about it as they are proud of their origin.

It could be interesting for various reasons. One is that many NHL/AHL-rejects with dual citizenship end up playing for Italy, France etc in World Championships. One other is that some european countries have limits of how many North Americans you are allowed to have in the team, which make players with with dual citizenship very useful, for example Dimitrakos in SEL side Skellefteå.

Old
12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I think the poster is just looking for info that has made it into the public arena.
Well, yes.

Old
12-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Tommy Hawk

Citizenship is not their nationality. Many players that I know that have dual citizenship consider themselves American, their nationality/where they were born, but are able to get citizenship in another country because their grandparents or parents were born there, etc.

And playing for your country doesn't mean that is where you are from or that that is the only citizenship that you maintain. Citizenship status in the US is NOT public information and therefore is covered under privacy laws.

Old
12-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
Citizenship is not their nationality. Many players that I know that have dual citizenship consider themselves American, their nationality/where they were born, but are able to get citizenship in another country because their grandparents or parents were born there, etc.

And playing for your country doesn't mean that is where you are from or that that is the only citizenship that you maintain. Citizenship status in the US is NOT public information and therefore is covered under privacy laws.
So when Hull decided to play for Team USA, questions as to how he could play for the US team when he was born in Canada should have been met with "No comment"?

Maybe Wikipedia should be sued for disclosing that Hull is a dual citizen. The Sabres , the Hockey News and any other major media outlet that reported it might want to be careful disclosing that Jason Pominville is a dual citizen. Articles that point out that Ulf Samuelsson lost his Swedish citizenship when he became an American citizen should tread lightly.

Again, some of this info can be gathered from articles that are out there in the public realm or from a player participating in certain tournaments for one nation or another. If someone knows this, why can't they post it?

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
So when Hull decided to play for Team USA, questions as to how he could play for the US team when he was born in Canada should have been met with "No comment"?

Maybe Wikipedia should be sued for disclosing that Hull is a dual citizen. The Sabres , the Hockey News and any other major media outlet that reported it might want to be careful disclosing that Jason Pominville is a dual citizen. Articles that point out that Ulf Samuelsson lost his Swedish citizenship when he became an American citizen should tread lightly.

Again, some of this info can be gathered from articles that are out there in the public realm or from a player participating in certain tournaments for one nation or another. If someone knows this, why can't they post it?

If the player disclosed it to the public, then it becomes public information. There is no public database of US Citizens.

Wikepedia is not responsible for the information posted. Anyone can post information on the site, whether it is right or wrong. Generally speaking, the information is personal and private. So you must be extremely careful what you post and what you request. The original request does not indicate that they are looking for any public information about dual citizenship players.

When in doubt, don't ask for it or post it.

Old
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Pellegrino

By the way, passports are public information in the soccer world. Why is this so private and sensitive for north americans?

Old
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
By the way, passports are public information in the soccer world. Why is this so private and sensitive for north americans?
A lot of Americans, not sure about Canadians, are a bunch of paranoid weirdos. We are far too independence minded. Freedom's cool and all, but we Americans love isolation just a little too much. You see, we have all of this room over here. We have the space to hide far, far away with lots of guns. Over there in Europe (Russia excluded) there ain't room for jack ****. Everyone knows everybody else's business. It's the other extreme.

I lived in Europe for a looong time. so I know what I'm talking about. Europe's like a small town where everybody knows each other.

I'm not placing a value judgment on it, just trying to give you some perspective.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
RealFalconsSupporter

May I suggest sending Pelligrino a private message if privacy is a concern.

There are lots of players in the AHL or that were in the AHL that have dual citizenship. There are others that have access to becoming dual citizens but have not given up their NHL dream yet so haven't pursued it.

RealFalconsSupporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
They are NOT public information in the hockey world nor are they public information in the MLS. IF they are public information in the soccer world (I am taking your word for it) then it is either part of a standard contract that the information is disclosed or it is part of the collective bargaining agreement for the players.

Old
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Pellegrino

Goalkeeper Mike Morrison has an Irish passport.

Quote:
Mike har irländskt pass, vilket också är bra eftersom han därmed klassas som EU-spelare.
Translated: Mike has an Irish passport, which is good as well because he can be classified as a EU player.

That's from an official statement by Modo regarding their signing of Mike Morrison.

Old
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
I believe Mark Mancari and Michael Vernace have Italian citizenships as well.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Jagger Bomb

There were 5 or so Canadian players playing for Team Italy at the 2006 Olympics if remember correctly...

Jagger Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Bananafan

Quote:
One other is that some european countries have limits of how many North Americans you are allowed to have in the team, which make players with with dual citizenship very useful, for example Dimitrakos in SEL side Skellefteå.
I think thats a great way to make sure that the teams are somewhat dependant on local talent.

But what happens if my ancestry is from a certain country...but I have no citenzenship from there to prove it?
What happens in a case like this?

Bananafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafan View Post
But what happens if my ancestry is from a certain country...but I have no citenzenship from there to prove it?
What happens in a case like this?
Well, you're north american then. It doesn't matter where your ancestry is from if you don't have citizenship, but obviously you could try to get that. It seems to be easy to get in some countries, but more diffucult (if not impossible) in other.