HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Radim Vrbata and Chris Gratton

Old
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Hmm... that doesn't change too much in my opinion. If I was an NHL player TB would drop to the bottom of my list with the way they have treated their players. I'm not saying players won't go there, but I suspect the better players are going to start having 2nd thoughts or requiring an overpayment and/or NMC in order to go to TB.
they will START requiring overpayment? did you see the deals malone and vrbata signed in the first place? ufa winning bids are by nhl definition overpayments.

why would players look at this as bad treatment? vrbata has been awful and was demoted for it. for likely multiple reasons such as family and likely just not wanting to be an ahl player when he can make good money overseas and be closer to home, he is leaving. to me both notions of a)tampa did something other than merely move a player who didnt do his job, and b)vrbata did something other than look out for no 1 as ridiculous. staying in the ahl would do nothing for his overall value and it would obviously affect his family life. he can make great money in europe, be closer to home, and still be considered a stud.

its sad how everyone just needs something to tear down. tampa was awful last year, and they did the one thing so many fans wish their team would do, they went out and spent the cash to try to turn things around as quick as they could. we all knew it wouldnt be perfect and it hasnt, but i think they are in better shape than they were last year with a better future. of all the moves they have made, vrbata's is the one that makes the most sense to me and they are getting torn up for it. he was the one signing i didnt agree with, aside maybe gratton as i assumed they would eventually have halpern back and gratton wouldnt fit. vrbata wasnt going to live to expectations and gratton was gonna end up expendable no matter what in the end. i could at least see covering your bases with a reasonably priced option in gratton. regardless, all the hate tossed their way is petty and sad - if people arent fans of the bolts why do people care so much? go hate on your own team.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
State of Hockey

Vrbata was a player I wouldn't have touched in free agency. Guess Tampa found that out the hard way.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
they will START requiring overpayment? did you see the deals malone and vrbata signed in the first place? ufa winning bids are by nhl definition overpayments.

why would players look at this as bad treatment? vrbata has been awful and was demoted for it. for likely multiple reasons such as family and likely just not wanting to be an ahl player when he can make good money overseas and be closer to home, he is leaving. to me both notions of a)tampa did something other than merely move a player who didnt do his job, and b)vrbata did something other than look out for no 1 as ridiculous. staying in the ahl would do nothing for his overall value and it would obviously affect his family life. he can make great money in europe, be closer to home, and still be considered a stud.

its sad how everyone just needs something to tear down. tampa was awful last year, and they did the one thing so many fans wish their team would do, they went out and spent the cash to try to turn things around as quick as they could. we all knew it wouldnt be perfect and it hasnt, but i think they are in better shape than they were last year with a better future. of all the moves they have made, vrbata's is the one that makes the most sense to me and they are getting torn up for it. he was the one signing i didnt agree with, aside maybe gratton as i assumed they would eventually have halpern back and gratton wouldnt fit. vrbata wasnt going to live to expectations and gratton was gonna end up expendable no matter what in the end. i could at least see covering your bases with a reasonably priced option in gratton. regardless, all the hate tossed their way is petty and sad - if people arent fans of the bolts why do people care so much? go hate on your own team.
You are my hero, sir. First good bit of logic I've seen from a non Tampa fan in a Tampa related thread in a long, long time.

This is what happens when a person actually talks about the situation Tampa is in instead of jumping over every single chance to bash the team, players, fans and ownership. Amazing eh?

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
TerminatorBlue

Tampa bay is the worst team in the league statistically as of right now....if they don't turn things around do you think they will try an unload St.louis even though he has a NTC??

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
Tampa bay is the worst team in the league statistically as of right now....if they don't turn things around do you think they will try an unload St.louis even though he has a NTC??
nope.

reasons being his very reasonable contract and he's a for sure fan-favorite.

i mean, anything is possible, but there would have to be a lot coming back for marty.

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

definitely all Barry Melrose's fault.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
peanutvendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Looks like play wasn't the only reason Vrbata wants to go home. His wife is expecting a child pretty soon.
makes more sense to request a reassignment to your home, huh. yet people will blare LOL TB SUXORS and NO MORE UFAS HAHA. reading an article or 2 adds information that sheds a new perspective on situations, but who wants that over slander these days?

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
ugotmybeef*

so they're going to waive and trade everyone they signed in the offseason.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
TerminatorBlue

Hopefully Tampa can turn things around they should not be last in the league or in the conference for that matter...atleast not on paper.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
salty justice

Blackhawk fans everywhere are saying "I called it on Vrbata" today.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
that would be lovely

Recchi and Roberts are next.........they should really just go with the youth instead of trying to buy their way back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
You are my hero, sir. First good bit of logic I've seen from a non Tampa fan in a Tampa related thread in a long, long time.

This is what happens when a person actually talks about the situation Tampa is in instead of jumping over every single chance to bash the team, players, fans and ownership. Amazing eh?
Is it considered bashing to think a UFA signing is bad, and then be proven right?

There were a TON of posters that felt that the Vrbata signing was a big mistake -but we were just a bunch of bashers that have no clue about the Lightning?

I do agree that some posters are overly negative, but that's true of about every franchise.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Hopefully Tampa can turn things around they should not be last in the league or in the conference for that matter...atleast not on paper.
Why not? Vrbata had a "not living up to expectations tag when he signed," same with Malone, but he's apparently not doing terrible. Roberts and Recchi are steps from retirement, and the "paper" should tell everyone there was going to be chemistry issues.

My biggest issue with all this is that they're not giving people time to adjust to playing alongside each other. Chemistry usually isn't formed overnight, but they've had no time to do that. It's unreal how fast they're changing things, they really havent' had a good look at anything.

12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
No, the franchise is a joke because the owners are running it like a fantasy hockey team. Players and coaches are being acquired and traded/cut within months (Melrose, Carle, Gratton, Vrbata).

Hey, if your happy with the way the Lightning are being run, good for you.
I agree, though I wouldn't call the franchise itself a joke, rather just the ownership. How Tampa will be able to sign future UFA's is not a question here, but rather where the hell are the scouts? Did they have any sort of scouting report on this guy? Or did ownership just say "look, here's a young guy who just scored 30 goals, lets go get em!!!". Not that other teams don't make bad UFA signings, but considering everything else Tampa has done recently this franchise reeks of an over involved ownership treating the NHL like one big EA Sports hockey game.

So apologies to the players and the fans, but right now the Lightning are the leagues laughing stock.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
It should also be noted, that Vrbata being waived was initiated by Vrbata himself. If you read the TSN article, he came to ownership saying he wanted to go home to get his game back, so then they waived him. He can come anytime over the next two years and resume his contract.

Though that doesn't excuse the 3 goals or numerous press box appearances

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Is it considered bashing to think a UFA signing is bad, and then be proven right?

There were a TON of posters that felt that the Vrbata signing was a big mistake -but we were just a bunch of bashers that have no clue about the Lightning?

I do agree that some posters are overly negative, but that's true of about every franchise.
No, it's considered bashing when I saw "Tampa is a joke" about 4 times on the first page. It's bashing to constantly see the unfunny fantasy hockey or NHL 09 jokes.

It's one thing to say you don't like a signing, it's a whole different thing to bash the entire franchise because you don't like a signing. G

Old
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Jiggs

Would Vrbata get close to $3 million in the Czech League?

Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
steiner

Send a message via ICQ to steiner
No way! Nowhere near.

steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

And considering this team has a new everything, from ownership to staff to players, I don't know why it's apparently so funny.

I guess some of you just have nothing else in your lives, so whatever you have to do to make yourselves feel important, even if that means talking non stop about a team you know nothing about.

Old
12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Jiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiner View Post
No way! Nowhere near.
How much would you say?

Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He has to be getting comparable money across the pond. Otherwise he's leaving 7.5 million on the table.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He has to be getting comparable money across the pond. Otherwise he's leaving 7.5 million on the table.
Not really, cause if he decides to come back next year, tampa would still have to pay him for the remaining two years.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Suntouchable13

Can Vrbata take Jason Blake along with him?

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
No, it's considered bashing when I saw "Tampa is a joke" about 4 times on the first page. It's bashing to constantly see the unfunny fantasy hockey or NHL 09 jokes.

It's one thing to say you don't like a signing, it's a whole different thing to bash the entire franchise because you don't like a signing. G
First of all - I think it's crazy to evaluate any of the significant moves after 25 games. And I'm sure that it gets old to hear all the negativity.

That being said, I honestly think though that a bunch of that negativity is warranted in this case. The new coach lasted all of 16 games. None of the UFA signings look like decent values at this point. The young guys that were acquired via trade have struggled with one of them already traded. And finally, Stamkos has underperformed compared to some VERY high expectations. Any one of those would be OK, but when you add all of them up - it doesn't paint a very pretty picture of the state of the organization.

You obviously have to expect a fair amount of trollish activity, and while it sucks, that's the nature of fan forums when a team makes as many moves as the Lightning did, and still aren't performing. All I can say is don't take it personally, posters are ripping on the franchise and, at least in most cases, not the fans.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

There seems to be an interesting formula where: Vrbata + ice time = production

I'll put my neck out there and assume that Vrbata was getting third line time at best, probably less than 12 or 13 minutes a night? And then you're surprised that he failed? Vrbata is useless when he's not in the top six...every time he falls out of favor with a team it's because they took his ice time away, now whether it's warranted that he lost his ice time is another story but I'm just saying, Vrbata produced pretty well when given the chance in year's past...

The Lightning need a GM that understands how to play the game (the managing game, that is)...this haphazard nincompoopery is the butt end of too many jokes as it is...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote