HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Radim Vrbata and Chris Gratton

Old
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
peanutvendor

vCash: 500
info from vrbatas agent as well as lawton

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-vrbata-a.html

peanutvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Captain Saku

so basically which players that were signed as UFA still playing in Tampa?

They're back with the same team as last year

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
so basically which players that were signed as UFA still playing in Tampa?

They're back with the same team as last year
Adam Hall
Ryan Malone
Vaclav Prospal
Mark Recchi
Gary Roberts
David Koci
Olaf Kolzig

So yeah, not exactly.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
I consider myself fairly well-versed when regarding NHL'ers, prospects and even most minor-leaguers, but I have never heard of this "Szczechura".
And based on the number of forwards the Lightning signed in the summer, I think it's safe to say no one thought they'd have any problems recognizing anyone playing up front this year.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
There seems to be an interesting formula where: Vrbata + ice time = production

I'll put my neck out there and assume that Vrbata was getting third line time at best, probably less than 12 or 13 minutes a night? And then you're surprised that he failed? Vrbata is useless when he's not in the top six...every time he falls out of favor with a team it's because they took his ice time away, now whether it's warranted that he lost his ice time is another story but I'm just saying, Vrbata produced pretty well when given the chance in year's past...

The Lightning need a GM that understands how to play the game (the managing game, that is)...this haphazard nincompoopery is the butt end of too many jokes as it is...
I might be mistaken, but I think that any fan from CHI or CAR would tell you that:

Vrbata in a non-contract year + icetime = marginal production

I think that Vrbata is a Donald Audette wannabe. Any team that is giving Vrbata scoring line minutes is probably not going to make the play-off's. He entices you with a decent skill package, but always leaves you wanting more. When PHO was desperately trying to stay in the play-off race coming down the stretch last year - Vrbata was a total no-show.

(And I realize that I'm being totally consistent - because you'd think that RV's would really buckle down the last 20 games before becoming a UFA - but he's just that inconsistent.)

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Gusher

Speculation on Edmonton radio is that the Leafs have claimed Gratton. I guess we'll find out in the morning if it's actually true.

Would have liked him on the bottom 6 with the Oilers.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Slow Talking Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Speculation on Edmonton radio is that the Leafs have claimed Gratton. I guess we'll find out in the morning if it's actually true.

Would have liked him on the bottom 6 with the Oilers.
To be more specific....

Nothing official that I've found, but Edmonton sports radio host Jason Gregor, who writes at Oilers Nation says the buds picked up Gratton off waivers.

http://www.oilersnation.com/index2.p...f-opportunity/

(comment #29)

Slow Talking Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
{lots of good, reasonable stuff clipped for space reasons}
regardless, all the hate tossed their way is petty and sad - if people arent fans of the bolts why do people care so much? go hate on your own team.
Wow, I was expecting 100% garbage in this thread, but I guess it's only 99% due to this gem. Thank you sir! (I agree, I couldn't figure out why they signed Gratton either, but I guess it was due to Halpern being out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
There were a TON of posters that felt that the Vrbata signing was a big mistake -but we were just a bunch of bashers that have no clue about the Lightning?
That describes you since you've been criticizing every contract & trade for YEARS while praising similar moves by other teams, not sure about the rest of the posters. They're mostly just comedians in their own minds.

Sotnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:36 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
I consider myself fairly well-versed when regarding NHL'ers, prospects and even most minor-leaguers, but I have never heard of this "Szczechura".
Aquired from Dallas last season in an AHL player for AHL player swap, I dont think he was ever drafted. But yeah he has been playing great and has been rising up the depth chart fast. Actually both him and Smolenak have been great. Good to see them both staying up, now if only they can ditch the pylon Malik and bring up Smaby again.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Not sure why everyone is giving props to vrbata, when before when it was rumoured that khabbibulin would go to russia, everyone was saying the hawks were circumventing the cap. This is the same situation. The cap hit would be gone either way, but if he went to the ahl, tampa would still have to pay the salary. Now they free up both the cap and salary.
It doesnt really matter if the cap hit goes or not, as the only important thing for this team is the salary hit, unlike some teams they cant afford to pay to the cap, about $48-$50 million I think was the limit. But this drops the salary to $46 million and the cap hit to about $51 million, but I doubt they do anything to add salary and cap hit unless the team picks it up (unlikely).

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
chef223

Gratton, healthy mind you , is definitely a Burke type player. He is physical, can drop the gloves and is decent in his own zone. Obviously he is injured right now , so picking up Gratton would be to make a few future moves this season. Also, Chris is a UFA next season and he can completely come off the books.

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
Gratton, healthy mind you , is definitely a Burke type player. He is physical, can drop the gloves and is decent in his own zone. Obviously he is injured right now , so picking up Gratton would be to make a few future moves this season. Also, Chris is a UFA next season and he can completely come off the books.
The talk in Phoenix was that he was terrible team guy, though.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Acehawk74

Lightning Beat Writer Damian Cristodero says both players, Vrbata and Gratton have cleared waivers. Gratton will report to AHL Norfolk, Vrbata to Czech Republic

DC's Blog

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
Wow, so now Norfolk has:

Jason Ward
Grant Potulny
Brandon Bochenski
Zenon Konopka
Jamie Heward
and now Chris Gratton ?

How can they not be winning some games?

ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
There is speculation that the Flyers have claimed Chris Gratton....

I don't know who that is, but if hes a fan of the team that claims Vrbata, than yes...lol
i think hes just the kind of player philly needs right now. whered u see that?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
tsn confirms gratton cleared: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009 (scroll down to tampa)

Apparently he is discussing his future with the team. Seems like he expected to be picked up.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Wow, so now Norfolk has:

Jason Ward
Grant Potulny
Brandon Bochenski
Zenon Konopka
Jamie Heward
and now Chris Gratton ?

How can they not be winning some games?
Maybe because all those guys suck?

If you can't crack the Tampa lineup, then you are probably a career AHL-er.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
That describes you since you've been criticizing every contract & trade for YEARS while praising similar moves by other teams, not sure about the rest of the posters. They're mostly just comedians in their own minds.

You must be the HF stalker to know that I've criticized every TB trade/contract and praised similiar contracts for other teams! Of course - you're absolutely wrong in most cases, but hey - why let the facts get in the way of your massive ego and opinion? I have been criticial of some TB trades & signings, but of course - I'm just a hater, with absolutely NO basis behind any of my posts, because all of those moves have been brilliant!

I thought the Lecav/MSL contract extensions were good. I thought the Malone deal was good for the organization. Wasn't hot on the Richards, Vrbata, Recchi & Roberts contracts, or the Boyle trade. And I didn't like the Huselius signing in CLM, which was similiar to Vrbata situation I've definetely been wrong on some of them, and right on the others.

I don't claim to be an expert, I just think it's hysterical that you have to act like I'm some rabid anti-Lightning poster. Sorry I don't always have something nice to say about your team when they do something stupid.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Vrbata was assigned to BK Mlada Boleslav
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec...vrbata/sports/

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote