HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers fans evoke Avery, get sloppy on Dion Phaneuf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
  #26
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
They were chanting sloppy seconds to a professional athlete during a hockey game. If you want to believe you're "too good" for that, go ahead. The rest of us will just laugh.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
  #27
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Again, most fans didnt take part in that one either, its always just a certain group of fans that like to make ***** of themselves at games.
The chant was great...I don't see the problem in having a little fun


Last edited by Shake and Bake: 12-09-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
  #28
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
They were chanting sloppy seconds to a professional athlete during a hockey game. If you want to believe you're "too good" for that, go ahead. The rest of us will just laugh.
Go ahead and laugh, I really don't care what you think 'Theoren Fan'

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
  #29
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
The chant was great...I don't see the problem in having a little fun
Sean Avery fans mimicking a line he totally regrets saying, yeah, i'm sure thats fun for some I guess.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:06 AM
  #30
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,910
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
It was 'beat your wife Denny', aimed at Denis Potvin who was accused of assaulting his wife. And yes, that one was said by alot of fans, true. But the 'buy a porsche' chant was a disgrace and the fans that did that one didnt do it very long.
Actually it was Arbour and the chant was as follows:

Alan arbour beats his wife do da, do da
Alan Arbour beats his wife oh do do da day

Classic

Good times

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
  #31
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
It was Potvin, that was the first 'beat your wife' chant. Maybe later on Al too, but if you google it you'll see theres only Potvin assaulting his wife info out there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
  #32
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,910
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Sean Avery fans mimicking a line he totally regrets saying, yeah, i'm sure thats fun for some I guess.
Publically he regrets it sure.

Privately I think he's laughing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
  #33
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Publically he regrets it sure.

Privately I think he's laughing.
Not so sure about that. He's gonna eventually wear out his welcome, that guy needs to grow up. Trust me, I can relate

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
  #34
tomobson
Registered User
 
tomobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
lol, i think it was pretty funny. I also don't see what the big deal is. People were just trying to have some fun. If you didn't like it than just relax and let them have their chant for the couple of minutes it takes up during a game. But some of you guys are just making it look like you're a better person simply because you didn't partake in an innocent chant.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
  #35
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomobson View Post
lol, i think it was pretty funny. I also don't see what the big deal is. People were just trying to have some fun. If you didn't like it than just relax and let them have their chant for the couple of minutes it takes up during a game. But some of you guys are just making it look like you're a better person simply because you didn't partake in an innocent chant.
You can talk directly to me, I know its me everyone will gang up on when it comes to this.

If yelling out 'sloppy seconds' at a sporting event is something to have fun with, be my guest, if i was at the game I wouldnt stop you. I'd just laugh that you paid an ungodly amount of money to take in a home shutout and all you got was to yell 'sloppy seconds'. Money well spent

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:30 AM
  #36
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,910
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not so sure about that. He's gonna eventually wear out his welcome, that guy needs to grow up. Trust me, I can relate
The way the league over reacted to this is comical at best. He made a comment on camera that is probably said on the ice, it's probably tame compared to what is said on the ice.

He made the comment to get Dion pissed off at him. It was a funny comment and one that is not totally un-true. Avery's personality from what I can gather is that he thinks this is pathetic (the way the NHL and some higher ups) have acted and reacted and is probably laughing. In fact there are alot of people that are laughing at the NHL for the way they handled this.

He's going to wear out his welcome I agree, no doubt about it. But there's not one court of law that will void that contract based on his comments which means that regardless of wearing out his welcome he's 11.5 million richer at WORST.

And just when you think he's worn out his welcome, he will turn a new leaf and be that "grown up" people think he should be and will get signed by a team needing his services.

The way the NHL handled this was a joke and we should all be laughing at them.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
  #37
Stepan Razor
Registered User
 
Stepan Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think i'm holier than you for not resorting to acting like a moron. Thats all.
I guess we have different definitions for 'acting like a moron'. Mine is chanting 'potvin sucks' 400 times a game when about 15% of the people in the building know what it means and why it's chanted.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
  #38
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The way the league over reacted to this is comical at best. He made a comment on camera that is probably said on the ice, it's probably tame compared to what is said on the ice.

He made the comment to get Dion pissed off at him. It was a funny comment and one that is not totally un-true. Avery's personality from what I can gather is that he thinks this is pathetic (the way the NHL and some higher ups) have acted and reacted and is probably laughing. In fact there are alot of people that are laughing at the NHL for the way they handled this.

He's going to wear out his welcome I agree, no doubt about it. But there's not one court of law that will void that contract based on his comments which means that regardless of wearing out his welcome he's 11.5 million richer at WORST.

And just when you think he's worn out his welcome, he will turn a new leaf and be that "grown up" people think he should be and will get signed by a team needing his services.

The way the NHL handled this was a joke and we should all be laughing at them.
I'm sorry, you say anything like that about your customers in any business and you're fired, no way around it. Sean called the media to his attention JUST to say it too.

Again, no one defends the NHL, its cool to hate them. But on this they were right, you can't allow this stuff when it concerns fans and players personal lives. Its trashy tabloid garbage coming out of one of its own infront of media, not some random fan in the stands.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
  #39
Stepan Razor
Registered User
 
Stepan Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You can talk directly to me, I know its me everyone will gang up on when it comes to this.

If yelling out 'sloppy seconds' at a sporting event is something to have fun with, be my guest, if i was at the game I wouldnt stop you. I'd just laugh that you paid an ungodly amount of money to take in a home shutout and all you got was to yell 'sloppy seconds'. Money well spent
I have no problem paying money to watch this team. Despite all of our concerns there is still a decent record to show for it, and the hope that this team can turn things around. Now all that money I spent from 98-04, I want back!

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
  #40
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,805
vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm usually one of the first to condemn offensive chants (the "Homo Larry" discussion recently comes to mind), but this one seems pretty benign to me.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
  #41
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
I guess we have different definitions for 'acting like a moron'. Mine is chanting 'potvin sucks' 400 times a game when about 15% of the people in the building know what it means and why it's chanted.
Thats a different subject. Good chant, but done a million times a game is cuckoo bananas.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
  #42
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,805
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm sorry, you say anything like that about your customers in any business and you're fired, no way around it. Sean called the media to his attention JUST to say it too.

Again, no one defends the NHL, its cool to hate them. But on this they were right, you can't allow this stuff when it concerns fans and players personal lives. Its trashy tabloid garbage coming out of one of its own infront of media, not some random fan in the stands.
When compared to the suspensions levied against players for violent, illegal on-ice transgressions, the Avery suspension seems unjust, IMO. It makes the league look as if it is more interested in keeping vulgarity out of the press than ensuring the safety of the players on the ice.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
  #43
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Sean Avery is an ass, could care less about Rangers fans, and we're going to chant "Sloppy Seconds" at Phaneuf (who did absolutely nothing to warrant that, BTW)?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I'm at a game, and my team is getting destroyed, I couldn't give a rat's ass about who is dating who or who dated who. I'm at a hockey game, not in high school. I could be going out on a limb here, but I think a "Let's Go Rangers" chant would have sufficed -- maybe the team would have realized that they have real fans.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
  #44
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,910
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm sorry, you say anything like that about your customers in any business and you're fired, no way around it. Sean called the media to his attention JUST to say it too.

Again, no one defends the NHL, its cool to hate them. But on this they were right, you can't allow this stuff when it concerns fans and players personal lives. Its trashy tabloid garbage coming out of one of its own infront of media, not some random fan in the stands.
Agree to disagree.

The comment was specific to one woman and NHL players in general. It was not an attack on the female fan base. That's part of the over reaction.

I'm not saying anyone has to like what he said, it was un-cool, un-called for and inappropriate and if he had any real feelings for that girl it's not a comment he should have uttered.

Personally speaking it's not a comment I would make, that said it was a harmless comment indirectly directed at a player he was preparing to face. A player I might add who's been on fire recently and a player that if off his game can give your own team a better shot at winning.

we'll agree to disagree and be done with it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
  #45
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
When compared to the suspensions levied against players for violent, illegal on-ice transgressions, the Avery suspension seems unjust, IMO. It makes the league look as if it is more interested in keeping vulgarity out of the press than ensuring the safety of the players on the ice.
Its tricky.

I agree, there should be heavy suspensions for illegal on ice transgressions, no doubt.

But what Avery said brings the league down to wrestling crap, and it sets precedent for what other dummies might say. Fines mean nothing. He can do a few appearances and make that money up in the offseason.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:03 AM
  #46
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Acting like an ape in public has nothing to do with sensitivity, only brains.
I'm calling you out, Ape's can't talk silly.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:04 AM
  #47
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not so sure about that. He's gonna eventually wear out his welcome, that guy needs to grow up. Trust me, I can relate
What are you Mother Hen?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
  #48
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
What are you Mother Hen?
Yes, I'm whatever you want to call me

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
  #49
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
It is an interesting debate here...

lines need to be drawn and I guess this is where the NHL drew the line. I guess this goes beyond your standard trash talk. At the same time, I'm split on the NHL's reaction. Again, I agree that lines need to be drawn, but determining that line is tricky. As a fan I take no offense to the comment and could really care less, but it's not just about me. The NHL does a good job keeping a clean image - of course, that does affect the number of fans that watch it, saddly enough.

As for the fans - chant whatever you like at the game. You paid and deserve to yell whatever you want. Personally, I don't get off on that stuff. I'll cheer, occasionally boo (not the puck carrier, even if that person's a former Ranger on the other team), but that's about it. Guess I'm getting old.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
  #50
ArtieAnisimov
 
ArtieAnisimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
What is this, church? No its a hockey game, its a funny chant and some people need to grow some balls and realize its all in good fun.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.