HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beating God's team and The Refs In The Same Game Edition

Old
12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
OSUlakers

vCash: 500
G: my avatar
B: pittsburgh, the city, the fans, the refs
U: refs again. crosby.

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Gotta love the NHL. Sloppy seconds? Out for 6 games.

Throwing a haymaker well after the whistle and with the linesman actually in between you and the opponent? Nothing will happen.
I wouldn't call it a haymaker by any means more of a facewash.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUlakers View Post
G: my avatar
B: pittsburgh, the city, the fans, the refs
U: refs again. crosby.
people in rochester calling pittsburgh ugly?

Glass houses and such

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
hottytoddy

Good
I feel comfortable in saying I have a man crush on Vanek. The guy is a monster for us. I really like what I've seen from Gerbe, it won't be long until he starts scoring.
Miller deserves a lot of credit for the win tonight.

Bad
Refs

Ugly
All these haters dating my sloppy seconds.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:40 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
[/B]
I know exactly what your saying, but damn it gets old

maybe if they were gushing over Vanek it wouldn't be so bad
They interviewed Vanek before the game, did a piece with Ruff on Vanek during the game, and spoke highly about him all game. I really don't know how they could of spoke any more about Vanek.

#87 & 71 are 2 of the 3 top young stars in this league with Ovechkin. They are going to talk about them, and often. Plus, the two of them deserve it....did you watch them play tonight? Did you see what a legit #1 center plays like, sticks up for their teamates and puts points on the board?!??!!?!?

I can't complain on how they spoke about Vanek, and they gave Miller a lot of love too.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Good:
The team. As a whole.

Bad:
Crosby whining
Refs
VS. Crew

Ugly:
Orpik's giveaways. I'll take it though.

Scary:
This team with the following changes.
Vanek-X-Poms
Gerbe-Roy-Stafford
Hecht-Gaustad-Paille
Mac/Max/Kots-Mair-Kaleta

Sekera - Lydman
Spacek - Rivet
Weber - Tallinder/Teppo

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I didn't get to see the end of the game, so I just watched the highlights. Saw Crosby take his little cheap shot at Hecht. Seems like every Penguins game I watch he gives me another reason to hate him.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Vito_81

I didn't get a chance to see the game. A little disappointed in Gerbe not picking up a point yet, but I didn't see him in anyones bad column so I assume that he's still playing well for a rookie in just his second game of his career.

Another note is Teppo Numminen, but I've seen enough of him this season to know that he's holding this team back. No matter who gets paired with him this season, be it Tallinder, Lydman, Paetsch or whoever, they seem to play poorly.

He's too old, too slow and definitely isn't effective anymore and because of it it's almost as if his defense parter that night has to think about his own area but also try and compensate for Teppo's side as well. Vet leadership or not, his play is hurting the team because not only is he becoming a burden but he's dragging down his dpartner as well. I have no doubts in my mind that Weber would make this defense much better. 3 solid pairings could be thrown out at anytime. I think the time has come to pull the plug on this guy and make him the healthy scratch he needs to be.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm loving Lydman/Sekera as a tandem and I'm LOVING Thomas Vanek. And when your coach says "we're only scratching the tip of the iceberg" with regards to Vanek's play, you're only left to... drool... at the thought of what he could be in a few years.

My only negative would be that we're so inconsistent I expect a loss the next time we play. That kind of dampers my view right now...

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:30 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I sound like a broken record every thread, but Vanek and Sekera are in a league of their own. Maybe Sekera hasn't reached it yet, but he will.

Miller had a very solid game and made saves when he needed to, and I was really happy with the effort from Lydman and to a lesser degree Goose and CMac.

All in all, the game had the feel of a playoff game and I really hope coming from 3 goals down like that is a catalyst for this team kicking it back into gear.

I still don't really see what makes Crosby an elite player, but Malkin is incredible. There's no denying that Crosby has talent, but I don't think he's a once-every-10-years type talent... Malkin and AO (and who knows, maybe Vanek!) are those guys. Not really taking anything away from Crosby, but every time I watch him he just reminds me of Marc Savard and Jason Spezza....not bad comparisons but not to the hype he gets.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:34 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Jflory reminded me of another bad

Vanek/Hecht/Pommer

The goal was nice off a turnover but for the majority of the night not clicking at all. thats actually been the story of the line other than 5mins in Boston. They just don't click and struggle in their own end as well.

Late in the 3rd Ruff went with 3 lines

Vanek/Mair/Kotalik
Goose/Hecht/Pommer
Gerbe/Roy/Stafford

Mac took Gerbe's place after the penalty

I have no idea what the answer is but Vanek/Hecht/Pommer for me is painful to watch.
I agree that they struggled through two periods offensively, but I didn't think they were all that bad in their own end, and they came up with a couple of nice plays in the 3rd before the lines got switched around.

The reason I like having them together is because it allows the rest of the lines to flow naturally. Gerbe-Roy-Stafford is a legitimate 2nd line, with one rookie and two players who have already clicked offensively as 2nd line linemates (and Roy is starting to heat up again with the absence of top line checkers) while the next two lines, while certainly not offensive lines, have both guys who can bang and guys who can score.

In addition to that, if Buffalo is serious about turning their system into a Detroit-esque puck possession team, a top line who is strong in their own end (which, at least given time Vanek-Hecht-Pominville should be, and I thought was tonight) is a must. I'm willing to allow the offense a couple of games to click - and it's not like Vanek's had a whole lot of help from any help from his previous linemates...the GWG tonight was a nice passing play, and he had a great chance in alone on Sabourin off of a nice feed before that in the period as well.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Kruschiki

Sabres: 2-0 with Gerbe in the lineup. Coincidence? Maybe, but consider this: Gerbe's presence is a coaching commitment to offense, instead of dressing say, Peters.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 06:05 AM
LFDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I agree that they struggled through two periods offensively, but I didn't think they were all that bad in their own end, and they came up with a couple of nice plays in the 3rd before the lines got switched around.

The reason I like having them together is because it allows the rest of the lines to flow naturally. Gerbe-Roy-Stafford is a legitimate 2nd line, with one rookie and two players who have already clicked offensively as 2nd line linemates (and Roy is starting to heat up again with the absence of top line checkers) while the next two lines, while certainly not offensive lines, have both guys who can bang and guys who can score.

In addition to that, if Buffalo is serious about turning their system into a Detroit-esque puck possession team, a top line who is strong in their own end (which, at least given time Vanek-Hecht-Pominville should be, and I thought was tonight) is a must. I'm willing to allow the offense a couple of games to click - and it's not like Vanek's had a whole lot of help from any help from his previous linemates...the GWG tonight was a nice passing play, and he had a great chance in alone on Sabourin off of a nice feed before that in the period as well.
I think that was on the PK with Hecht and Vanek as the killing forwards, has nothing to do with their ES performance IMO...

I agree with those who didnt like that line. They were awful to watch... The goal was a nice passing play, but not without luck. All those passes never arrived at the recipient cleanly...

Not that i know how i would arrange the lines... 26-55-29 aren't good right now (they were when they played together some time ago though, so they maybe break out again?)
It's a great make-up actually. If Hecht and Pominville can get their trademark cycling from last season going again this is going to be very nice. The best thing on it is the defensive aspect though. Vanek is a somehow a defensive forward! Unbelievable, but great!

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
U: Who whistled the Gerbe high-stick, after the Sabres cycled the puck around for another 5-10 seconds? Did Sid actually have to skate up to the ref and tell him to make the call? How dare they make the Chosen One do that. A glance should be more than enough.

U2: Crosby. Everything that some people hate about Derek Roy, but an order of magnitude more.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Afino
The Juice

I don't even hate Crosby THAT much.

It's just his status as the Chosen One and the preferential treatment among officials. The call where he collided into Roy, initiated the brunt of the contact, but ROY gets called for the penalty is a perfect example.

See Crosby on the ice? 2 minutes for the other team, no questions asked.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Buffalofan84

any chance we see a Vanek - Connolly - Pominville line when TC is back?

Buffalofan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Good:
-Win
-Come from behind win.
-Penalty killing, especially full 2 min 5-on-3, where the Pens didn't have the puck long enough to set up anything at all for about the first 1:30.
-Miller
-Vanek
-Paille - thought he played hard.
-Sekera - I didn't get to watch him much at the end of last year. He looks so much like he belongs, and his defense is already better than Campbell's was, as others have noted.
-Letang for Pens - even without his goal, he was very noticable, strong on his skates.
-Pens in the first 15 min of the second period. Man, were they in another gear.
-Malkin

Bad:
-Tallinder. I watched Teppo, and although he was a little weak in the corner and at the half-wall in the defensive zone, I think Tallinder was worse. Absolutely nothing physical at all from him when I was watching.

Disappointing:
-Gerbe not shooting on the 2-on-1

Confusing:
-Others thinking Roy played well. Aside from his very pretty goal, I thought he was rather ineffective, especially at even strength. Not strong on the puck, a lot of lost pucks in the neutral zone, etc.

I too thought the announcing was balanced. I hear Forslund alot ('Canes TV broadcasts for FSN), and felt he spread the love around.

I'll post separately on Crosby.

brian_griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
aceface33

I wasn't overly enamored with Gerbe last night. He has hustle but he needed to shoot on that 2 on 1, passing it to a covered guy led to a Penguins goal a few seconds later IIRC.

Also, he absolutely cannot take that penalty with 5 minutes left and the team trying to hold onto a one goal lead. I also don't remember him having a dangerous shot on goal.

He's only playing his second game though. The will is there.

Maybe it was because the game was in HD, but I didn't mind the Versus coverage either. I thought they gave Miller, Vanek, and the Sabres plenty of talk.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

I completely agree. I am perfectly happy with the new top 6.
Vanek-Hecht-Poms - give it time and it could be a GREAT offensive 2 way line.
Gerbe-Roy-Stafford - Roy has been great the last two games

When Connolly is healthy swap him into Hecht's spot.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
U: Who whistled the Gerbe high-stick, after the Sabres cycled the puck around for another 5-10 seconds? Did Sid actually have to skate up to the ref and tell him to make the call? How dare they make the Chosen One do that. A glance should be more than enough.

U2: Crosby. Everything that some people hate about Derek Roy, but an order of magnitude more.
The same people who rant about Crosby on this board are the same ones who boo'd Jagr every time he touched the puck...

Why? Jealousy. Pathetic.

I am just happy that the Sabres showed up for a change. Without Miller, this game would have been 7-4.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
The same people who rant about Crosby on this board are the same ones who boo'd Jagr every time he touched the puck...

Why? Jealousy. Pathetic.

I am just happy that the Sabres showed up for a change. Without Miller, this game would have been 7-4.
Generalize much?

I rip on Roy for the same things that I rip on Crosby for. I simply don't like guys who will flop around on the ice to buy calls. (That said, I don't think the Roy "tripping" penalty was a dive, but it certainly wasn't a penalty...Crosby just didn't get out of the way of the hit. Roy didn't stick out any appendage to trip him up)

Old
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Well, when Connolly's healthy, Gerbe's likely to go back down, but I'd agree. Connolly into Hecht's spot, Hecht into Gerbe's spot...

Old
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

just nodding in agreement here.
Really solid effort last night. Nice to see them come back from being 2 down. Admittedly, I half expected them to just roll over and go through the motions the rest of the game.
Gerbe is close to being a full timer. If he goes back down, he will be back w/ the big club after the trade deadline permanently..

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Vanek - Connolly - Pominville
Gerbe - Roy - Stafford
Hecht - Gaustad - Paille
Kotalik - Mair - Afinogenov

Hm... interesting for sure.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post

Why? Jealousy. Pathetic.

People boo Jagr because of something he did in the playoffs a few years ago, IIRC. I know he did something that was a ********* move and people have booed him since.

Also, Chara used to get away with some dirty stuff against the team and people started booing him as well.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote