HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wheeled hockey bags

Old
12-18-2008, 09:58 AM
vivianmb

vCash: 500
jeez it's a hockey bag.
my 7 year old carries his bag, and sometimes after playing he's too tired so i help him. but he's ( IN MY OPINION) learning to be responsible for his own gear.if he wants to have wheels when he buys his own gear ...fine.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Struggle? You struggle to carry 50 lbs? God I wish I could play against you...
Sometimes, after a particularly hard game... yes, it was a chore to sling that bag over my shoulder. Don't get me wrong, I did it fine before wheeled bags... but if I don't *have* to do it, why should I?

But kudos to you, Macho Man Randy Savage, for teaching me the errs of my way. I have seen the light, I will change my sinful ways!

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
rinkrat22

I honestly do not care what your kids use, I was stating my opinion, on the matter, isn't that what message boards are about? I have my reasons why I want my kids carry their bags. Don't get all bent about my opinion. like was said its a bag for christs sake. some of you boys are way to sensitive.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Rem
Boo or Boo-urns?

I hate wheeled bags. I use the backpack style and won't ever turn back. I often have to go down a flight of stairs though at one of the local rinks so it makes that easier

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleboy View Post
I honestly do not care what your kids use, I was stating my opinion, on the matter, isn't that what message boards are about? I have my reasons why I want my kids carry their bags. Don't get all bent about my opinion. like was said its a bag for christs sake. some of you boys are way to sensitive.
Really? Because to me, it sounded like you and everybody else were preaching to him about how he and his kids are wimps and should carry their bag or they'll go to hockey hell. It absolutely did not sound like a friendly, "my kids carry their bags, I can't give any advice on the subject".

I've been watching this thread, and All I have to say is that I don't care if you're a tough ******* by carrying your bag every day, uphills both ways. I wheel mine, and have more energy to spend on the ice, where things really matter. A bag is for the purpose of getting from point A to point B. It does not make you more of a man then anybody else.

I don't know why I posted this...

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
rinkrat22

I did not start out negative until I got jumped that my daughter carries her bag and georges laroque(?) doesn't so she must be tuffer than him. I was making a point that if you give a kid a carry bag they can carry it. just like if you make them tie their skates they can do it. there might be some whinning at first but they can do it. and i doubt that I waste so much enegry carrying my bag to the rink up hill both ways. I am not going to get in an argument about who is the better, strong, faster, more in shape beer leaguer. get serious you don't know me so can you possibly know what kind of physical shape I'm in? I do enjoy how you guys get so defensive when you don't agree with a post. relax.

Old
12-18-2008, 04:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
I did not start out negative until I got jumped that my daughter carries her bag and georges laroque(?) doesn't so she must be tuffer than him. I was making a point that if you give a kid a carry bag they can carry it. just like if you make them tie their skates they can do it. there might be some whinning at first but they can do it. and i doubt that I waste so much enegry carrying my bag to the rink up hill both ways. I am not going to get in an argument about who is the better, strong, faster, more in shape beer leaguer. get serious you don't know me so can you possibly know what kind of physical shape I'm in? I do enjoy how you guys get so defensive when you don't agree with a post. relax.
I think you missed the point on that comment though- The person wasn't attacking your daughter, he was saying that whether you carry your bag or not doesn't determine how tough you are.

And trust me on the faster point. 17.5 seconds around the rink for me. Most people can't do that.

Again, the point was made that carrying your bag was not what made you tough with a somewhat extreme example, and you admit you got negative. Read over this thread again, virtually every post is negative, at least in the context of the thread. Now I have no problem with negativity on occasion, but the amount of negativity being directed towards somebody who wanted wheel bag recommendations. The level of negativity here is more suited towards an abortion debate, not a thread based on hockey bags.

I should say, that this shouldn't be too personal. You weren't the worst in the thread by any measure. But the whole thread is rather ridiculous, and this is more general.

Old
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
rinkrat22

now that we can agree to be civil. my feeling is (mine) that when you give a kid a wheelbag they overload it. mine did. and you know who ended up wheeling it around. Me. Maybe you think i'm mean. its their bag, they can (or should IMO) move it. I found that by not allow my kid a wheeled bag, she did not overload it with stupid sheet.(3 weeks worth of tape balls, half gatoraide bottles or 10 rolls of tape) she keeps only necessary stuff in there. when you say but what if someone forgets a sock, jersey or skate we have an extra. well I feel(IMO) that by not allowing a kid to make mstakes to learn from, your setting them up for failure later in life when you cant be there to bail them out. If you dial 911 and I show up without a piece of equipment on the fire truck, its my job and your life. melodramatic, maybe but the one time i forgot my skates because i left them in the basement drying and could not play when I was 12. i never forgot a piece of equipment again and thats a lesson that has stuck with me for over 30 years. I was originally being sarcastic with my first post, unfortunately it did not come through in my post. I never felt as an adult a need to time myself around the rink. sorry. its not that important to me. i'm not being scouted.

Old
12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I think you missed the point on that comment though- The person wasn't attacking your daughter, he was saying that whether you carry your bag or not doesn't determine how tough you are.

And trust me on the faster point. 17.5 seconds around the rink for me. Most people can't do that.
Again, the point was made that carrying your bag was not what made you tough with a somewhat extreme example, and you admit you got negative. Read over this thread again, virtually every post is negative, at least in the context of the thread. Now I have no problem with negativity on occasion, but the amount of negativity being directed towards somebody who wanted wheel bag recommendations. The level of negativity here is more suited towards an abortion debate, not a thread based on hockey bags.

I should say, that this shouldn't be too personal. You weren't the worst in the thread by any measure. But the whole thread is rather ridiculous, and this is more general.

we're all proud of you... and i hit like a runaway train. and have a 95 MPH shot.so what does that mean?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
You see, the whole thing is that the thread was asking about help finding wheeled bags, not your opinion on whether you like them or not. That's really the purpose of these message boards.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 05:59 AM
MrRuin

this thread, without a doubt, delivers.

"Be Responsible! Carry your hockey bag!" would mkae a great bumper sticker.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 06:46 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Yikes, you guys get real emotional over a bag don't you? My bag really isn't that heavy, or it doesn't really take anything out of me when I carry it I should say. That's probably why I just carry it, but my parents hate the scuff marks on the walls in my basement staircase.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Muttley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Yikes, you guys get real emotional over a bag don't you? My bag really isn't that heavy, or it doesn't really take anything out of me when I carry it I should say. That's probably why I just carry it, but my parents hate the scuff marks on the walls in my basement staircase.
I don't have a problem with wheeled hockey bags. Many people I know who live in Manhattan or Brooklyn don't own cars, so it's much easier for them to use a wheeled bag for those incredibly long walks to the subway, up and down train station stairways, in and out of trains, etc. It's just more practical that way.

It's one thing if you have the short walk from your home to your car and then from rink parking lot to the dressing room, but if you have a 1 hour/2 train transfer, long walks through subway tunnels, stairs, etc., a wheeled hockey bag might be a better option.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
now that we can agree to be civil. my feeling is (mine) that when you give a kid a wheelbag they overload it. mine did. and you know who ended up wheeling it around. Me. Maybe you think i'm mean. its their bag, they can (or should IMO) move it. I found that by not allow my kid a wheeled bag, she did not overload it with stupid sheet.(3 weeks worth of tape balls, half gatoraide bottles or 10 rolls of tape) she keeps only necessary stuff in there. when you say but what if someone forgets a sock, jersey or skate we have an extra. well I feel(IMO) that by not allowing a kid to make mstakes to learn from, your setting them up for failure later in life when you cant be there to bail them out. If you dial 911 and I show up without a piece of equipment on the fire truck, its my job and your life. melodramatic, maybe but the one time i forgot my skates because i left them in the basement drying and could not play when I was 12. i never forgot a piece of equipment again and thats a lesson that has stuck with me for over 30 years. I was originally being sarcastic with my first post, unfortunately it did not come through in my post. I never felt as an adult a need to time myself around the rink. sorry. its not that important to me. i'm not being scouted.
Then make your kid wheel it. Carry it or wheel it, I don't care, but you gotta transport your own bag. When your kid is able to press the rolling bag off on you because it's too heavy for them, whose problem is that? If your kid can get you to do that, more power to her.

Really... It's a bag. Tell your kid if she packs a ton of extra stuff she has to carry it herself and actually stick to it. That's all you need to do, not rail against the evils of wheel bags.

Old
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
I don't have a problem with wheeled hockey bags. Many people I know who live in Manhattan or Brooklyn don't own cars, so it's much easier for them to use a wheeled bag for those incredibly long walks to the subway, up and down train station stairways, in and out of trains, etc. It's just more practical that way.

It's one thing if you have the short walk from your home to your car and then from rink parking lot to the dressing room, but if you have a 1 hour/2 train transfer, long walks through subway tunnels, stairs, etc., a wheeled hockey bag might be a better option.
I have about a 7 minute walk to the train, 30 minutes on the train. Then a 30 minute ferry, to about 15/20 minutes on the 1, to about 15/20 minute walk to the rink. Or pay $25 to drive and park two bocks away from the rink.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Probie View Post
Bought an Easton bag for my son that barely made it a year before it fell apart. Any one have any insight on what bags are the best built. Wheel construction and fabric durability?
I had problems with Mission (zippers) and TPS back pack straps broke pretty soon (yeah, there are wheeled bags with back pack feature out there). I'm back to regular carry on. Not because I'm tough or REAL or any thing like that. With carry on you don't care about steps, stairs and even doors as a routine obstacles for your wheeled one. It has less parts to brake, you can wash it and it cost less.There is no such a thing as "well built bag". Major hockey equipment companies are not in business to make good bags. They buy it from bag makers. They switch from one to another often in order to save money. That is why bags gets discontinued often, they switch to different supplier. Get the bag that fits your son's needs the most. Buy whatever he likes, wheeled or not. You should have found out by now that bag is not what costs the most for your youngster to play.

Last edited by 94now: 12-25-2008 at 03:30 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 03:49 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Probie View Post
Bought an Easton bag for my son that barely made it a year before it fell apart. Any one have any insight on what bags are the best built. Wheel construction and fabric durability?
I've had the same Itech-branded bag with a Cyclone Taylor shop logo on it for 15 years. The bottom of one of the skate pouches has worn through a bit because I don't use skate guards, but other than that it's still going as strong as it was when I got it. At one point pretty much every kid who played minor hockey in Vancouver had the same bag, and you still see tons of them in drop-in or beer league dressing rooms. They don't make the model anymore, and it's not a wheeled bag, but I can at least vouch for the durability of their older products.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
No, Dave's a killer.
Dave's a mess.

(I know, it's an old post, but it was just hanging there.)

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Rimers stache

Since nike and bauer have joined hockey forces their new slogan should be "JUST CARRY IT"

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Chootoi

around here the guys with wheeled bags are usually the guys who stick ya and drill slapshots at the goalies heads and celebrate like they just won the stanley cup in a pickup game.

they're also always dragging their bag through everyone's **** in the dressing room and they're the guy who shows up to the rink with a large double double just when you're stepping out for warmup.

"ready to go, joe? there's 4 minutes left in the first period. thanks for showing up jackass. lock the door on your way out and try not to toss my **** in the shower so you can take up a quarter of the dressing room, superstar"

i know you're not all like this... i'm just sayin'

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:26 AM
the_speedster

good to see the self esteem quotient of some of us is still at an all time high.
"keyboard gangsters"

First anyone with a visor is probably an ******* that eats babies for a hobby, now people with wheeled bags?

y'all do realise that cavemen (for the most part) have disappeared right?

Its a bag. With wheels on it.

I wonder if any of you "real" men/women on here still skate with the old time bobby orr blades or have you all bought the new $400+ RBK's.. doesn't that make you an *******? How about your brand spanking new COMPOSITE stick (please don't claim to still play with the wood models)

A guy comes on asking about advice for a bag for his kid and that's an opening for some of you to onload your jealousy of those fellow rec leaguers that do things you can't even dream of?

Either get in shape, lose some ass fat and get faster
practice and get some moves
watch more games and maybe get some hockey sense

Then get out there and show those supposed *******s what for. Don't embarss yourselves by saying things as stupid as "ooh they have a wheeled bag, they must be weaker than me or be a complete buthead"

yikes

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:29 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
we're all proud of you... and i hit like a runaway train. and have a 95 MPH shot.so what does that mean?
it means at his speed you won't be able to hit him or get the puck to unleash your 95mph'er

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote