HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Campbell vs. Boyle

View Poll Results: Who is better?
Campbell 13 14.61%
Boyle 73 82.02%
Too close to call. 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Wario Lemieux*

vCash: 500
Campbell vs. Boyle

I don't want to talk about contracts, or player/team drama. Who is a better player when it comes down to just playing hockey?

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I take Dan Boyle.

They both rack up a similar amount of points except Boyle gets about 2x the goals Campbell does.

Dan Boyle isn't by any means a defensive stalwart, or even average defensively but hes lightyears ahead of Campbell. Campbell simply does not come back to the defensive zone more often that you'd expect.

Both have practically the same P/O #'s and GP, except Boyle has the ever-valuable Cup Ring.

Both are playing on offensive powerhouses this year, and are playing admirably but Boyle is just the superior talent.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
All team drama aside, the answer is still Boyle ten times over. While Boyle isn't a shutdown defensemen by any means, he's still quite solid in the defensive zone, and most importantly, he's constantly battling for the puck and is never passive, unlike Campbell.

Offensively I give it to Boyle too. Campbell is way more flashy, but is also much more prone to mistakes and giveaways. Skating through the neutral zone, Campbell's transition game is always a big production and often ends up in Campbell trying to do too much and turning the puck over, while Boyle will always make the smart play.

In the offensive zone, Boyle pinches from the point better, and gets smarter shots on net; he knows when to take some off when looking for a tip. I think Campbell has the better slapper, but I don't think he's quite as intelligent as Boyle at running the PP.

While Campbell was extremely exciting and is very, very good at what he does, he's still much more prone to mistakes than Boyle. I give it to Boyle by a solid margin. His transition game is one of the biggest reasons the Sharks are where they are in the standings, and he contributes a solid defensive game and great work ethic to boot, areas Campbell left me a little disappointed in.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:56 PM
TopProspecT

I love me some Campbell. I wont comment on who is better, because i dont watch Boyle on a regular basis. Here in chicago, i had forgotten what it is like to have a puck moving defenseman that can set up the power play with ease. He is one of the reasons our offense is one of the tops in the league.

TopProspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspecT View Post
I love me some Campbell. I wont comment on who is better, because i dont watch Boyle on a regular basis. Here in chicago, i had forgotten what it is like to have a puck moving defenseman that can set up the power play with ease. He is one of the reasons our offense is one of the tops in the league.
Lol why did you vote for Campbell when you admittedly don't watch Boyle?

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
The JT Express

Campbell is flashy but softer than poo.

The JT Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Piffle

Some serious overrating of Boyle here. I understand the position that he is better, but Sharks fans are not seeing clearly because of the offseason drama and from the posts here there seems to be an emotional bias.

Neither will ever win a Norris because neither are that great at defense. Campbell is better this year at defense than I remember. I would rate them both average defensively.

Offensively I think Campbell is more dynamic and unpredictable than Boyle. That really pushes teams back on their heels. I think Boyle, as someone else stated, does have a better shot. They are both great PP QBs. I think overall, offensively it is too close to call.

They are both soft like butta.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:34 PM
massivegoonery

Campbell to offset the sour grapes Sabres and Sharks fans that outnumber Hawks fans 10 to 1 here.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Nashology

Campbell DID average a point per game in SJ last year but died in the playoffs and was worse than Boyle is now for SJ defensively...so with that I would choose Boyle. Not to keen on BC's defense though.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Campbell played well in SJ for the end of the season. But he wasn't the same in the playoffs. Had this coughing up the puck problem. I pick Boyle, right handed shot helps SJ better on the power play. Spin moves are somewhat over-rated when that is your main thing (although I loved his undressing Komisarek last year)

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Not a real fan of either player, frankly they are the best at what they do: purely offensive D-men. But their lackluster playoff performance of late, and huge contracts do not inspire me. Think MA Bergeron on steroids.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
I think they're about equal, but I'll say Boyle. Campbell has a flashier skillset- a fast skater that can break games by himself with spectacular plays. Boyle is a better team guy, someone who controls the game and really quarterbacks the team. So,

Individual: Campbell

Team: Boyle

Since hockey is the ultimate team sport, I'll take Boyle. Also, having had both here I'd say Boyle has been better defensively than Campbell. Boyle really works out there on D. It could be because SJ as a team is just good, but still.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Not a real fan of either player, frankly they are the best at what they do: purely offensive D-men. But their lackluster playoff performance of late, and huge contracts do not inspire me. Think MA Bergeron on steroids.
that is one of the worst comparisons I have seen. What exactly are Boyle's lackluster playoff performances of late? When his team won the cup, or when his team didn't make the playoffs?

I forgot they are both only know for having a rocket slapshot.

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Boyle's iced veins under pressure with the puck, accurate outlet passes, and decision making do wonders for our D.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
that is one of the worst comparisons I have seen. What exactly are Boyle's lackluster playoff performances of late? When his team won the cup, or when his team didn't make the playoffs?

I forgot they are both only know for having a rocket slapshot.
Meh,
I meant if you magnified eithers skills and weakesses you would get MA Bergeron. Slick skating, puck moving, offensive D.

And by as of late, I mean post lockout.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Boyle >>>>... Campbell

Defensively and offensively. Boyle is smart, Campbell isn't (especially when doing spinoramas in his own end w/ the open net)

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:00 PM
The Big Swede

Is this a joke?

Boyle is better then Campbell on both sides of the ice

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Some serious overrating of Boyle here.
No, not really.

Sotnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Harrison Ford

Boyle.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM
R I O T
Lurking

Quote:
Meh,
I meant if you magnified eithers skills and weakesses you would get MA Bergeron. Slick skating, puck moving, offensive D.

And by as of late, I mean post lockout.
Yeah. . .besides the fact that Bergeron sucks.

Horrible comparison...

R I O T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:54 PM
shao01

Boyle

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Offensively? Boyle is much shiftier with the puck, and relies on that shiftiness to get into the zone, unlike Campbell, who relies on Speed and skating. Boyle shoots more, and is more unpredictable and dynamic with the puck.

Defensively? Boyle is better. Not by much mind you as neither is stalwart, but neither are horrible. Campbell has a visible problem with coughing up the puck to avoid hits, particularly in the playoffs. He got very passive when he was getting physically beat.

Overall? Boyle is better. Also more consistent. Boyle has two 53 point seasons(One before the lockout) and a 63 point season to his name. As well as a 39 point season before the lockout(Which would be more along the lines of 45-50 after the lockout) and Boyle is on pace for a 76 point season.

Campbell has a 44 point season, a 48 point season, and a 62 point season, and is on pace for a 59 point season this year.

Last edited by Dark Shadows: 12-11-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:36 AM
massivegoonery

From what I've seen so far this season, Campbell's defensive game is underrated. His speed allows him to be involved in defensive plays that few other defensemen, including Boyle, would even be involved in.

The more I think about it, the more I start coming to the conclusion that Boyle is the better player and the better defenseman but Campbell is the more unique player which may make him more valuable.

The question was "better", though, so I'd like to change my answer to Boyle.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:44 AM
rideaucrusher21

Campbell is more flashy. But Boyle is a better team player. Have to go with boyle

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:34 AM
matt trick

As a Sharks fan, my opinions are almost certainly biased but here it goes:

Offensively- Boyle. He is better at passing and shooting. He and Campbell may be the two best (along with Nieds) at entering the zone, but I do give Campbell the edge here. I also prefer Boyle's stick handling.

Defensively- Boyle- If he put up 30 points a year, I think he is still a good 2nd pairing d-man. His defensive game has been much better than I expected. I thought he would essentially be a 4th forward, but he is good about knocking the puck away, and is much better about putting a body on a forward. Boyle also has been good on the pk and does pretty good on 2 vs 1's, while not creating many the other way. That said, I have heard a lot of people say Campbell has upped his defensive game as well.

Skating-Campbell. Boyle is shiftier and a better dangler, but Campbell's skating may be matched by only three or four top 4 d-men in the league (Ehrhoff, Keith, Nieds, and a few others).

PPQB- Boyle. I think this is his most clear win, but having a Todd Mclellan run PP may be giving him an unfair advantage over Campbell who played under the offensive wizard Ron Wilson. He is also better as a triggerman than Campbell. Boyle's lateral movement is incredible. I think the gap is much closer 5v5 for these two with regards to offense.

To be fair, I am primarily basing this comparison from the games I have seen by both as Sharks, and the current Sharks team would fit Campbell better than the team when he was here.

Both are very good offensive d-men, and I would have been satisfied with Campbell sticking around, but I am much happier with Boyle.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote