HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbo pissed off at the media

Old
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
7th Player

vCash: 500
Carbo pissed off at the media

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...les-medias.php

I totally agree with him...
There is more political analysis of the team in Montreal than anywhere else and in any other sports.
Why cant the media stop their "reality show" coverage of the habs and working with the team...

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...les-medias.php

I totally agree with him...
There is more political analysis of the team in Montreal than anywhere else and in any other sports.
Why cant the media stop their "reality show" coverage of the habs and working with the team...
Now that is funny. Happy that Carbo is saying loud and clear what most of us are thinking.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Lone Rogue

We need a rule on these boards that anything in French should be translated:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
cprice31

Bravo Carbo!!

Its too bad that people are sheep, they follow media pressure and trends.

Carbo needs to speak up more with the media, and put them in their place.

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Haddock

Carbo is of course right.

Quote:
Il admet ainsi avoir du mal à accepter les critiques dont son équipe fait l'objet, surtout après une victoire. Il dit s'étonner de l'importance qu'on accorde à des joueurs qui sont retranchés au lieu de s'attarder à ceux qui vont jouer.

«Je comprends mieux aujourd'hui ce que pouvaient ressentir les autres entraîneurs. Je peux aussi comprendre la frustration de certains joueurs», a-t-il dit.
Quote:
He admits having difficulties accepting critics made about his team, espcially after a victory. He mentions being surprized on the importance given to players that are scratched instead of the ones who are playing.

"Today I understand more what some coaches might have felt. I can also understand certain players' frustrations".
The media, and by extension the people who read/watch/listen them, are making a big fuss of every little thing. Almost every thread ends up being about Sergei and Latendresse these days. Lineups and healthy scratches are always the talk of the day.

That being said, let's now watch this thread turn into french media bashing.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
kovalost27

Damn straight. I usually check on HFboards to see if theres any trades or the lineups of the next game. But theres around 12 posts a day talking about how they should trade our best players and how Latendresse will be a power-forward if we only played him on the first line all the time.

I don't know how hockey players and coaches deal with that.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
Good job Carbo! Pretty much the best move of the season!

I can't believe how people can say anything and because it is behind a microphone everybody will believe them. They said for 1 year that Ribeiro had no heart, and didn't care about the team and there were clicks in the team. He goes to Dallas ( a top team in the conference) Now theyre last place and because the dude has 1 point per game they want the guy back... I will keep on repeating myself: No team will ever win something important with Ribeiro has one of their top 2 centerman...

Conclusion: Good Job carbo and keep up the good work.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Judge Sauer*

Carbo forgot about the Alouette's?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Carbo is the man!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
la25ecoupe

I like his: "Vous aviez pas besoin de savoir" comments he says all the time.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post

The media, and by extension the people who read/watch/listen them, are making a big fuss on everything little thing. Almost every thread ends up being about Sergei and Latendresse these days. Lineups and healthy scratches are always the talk of the day.

I agree with you that there are more good journalists than bad in the French media. But do you acknowledge the fact that there are a few bad apples that skew their output? Unfortunately, because they happen to scream the loudest their message sometimes ends up as the accepted premise of questions in the Habs media scrums.

I personally don't like the term "French media" but it is legitimated by Team 990 for example, who use it generally in a respectful way (i.e let's not only look at our own **** but let's review what's being said in the french language media that have the dominant share of this media market).

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 12-03-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
onice

Quote:

The media, and by extension the people who read/watch/listen them, are making a big fuss of every little thing. Almost every thread ends up being about Sergei and Latendresse these days. Lineups and healthy scratches are always the talk of the day.

Turn into...this thread started off as a commentary on the French media.

Who do you think Carbo is referring to in that quote that you so appropriately chose? The English media? When was the last time an English reporter b*tched and whined that Price was sent to Hamilton, or that Ryder wasn't signed or that there should be more Anglophones/Allophones on the team? None come to mind. And on all of the national media, Cherry is the only one and i doubt Carbo was referring to him

We all know who Carbo was referring to.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Good job Carbo!

Even worse that the Habs are the only major sport in town, but it seems the people who cover the Habs, don't really follow the NHL outside of Montreal. They think Carbo's the only coach benching 2nd or 3rd year players or that no other NHL's team PP is struggling, etc.

I watched 110%, Anti-chambre and La zone last night and they spent more time talking about the 'unfair' treatment of Latendresse or Kovalev's mood than the actual hockey game.

Aside from Danny Dubé or Joel Bouchard...you don't get many people who follow the Habs and actually talk about their play ON THE ICE. The other one's are more interested in soap opera's

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Good job Carbo!

Even worse that the Habs are the only major sport in town, but it seems the people who cover the Habs, don't really follow the NHL outside of Montreal. They think Carbo's the only coach benching 2nd or 3rd year players or that no other NHL's team PP is struggling, etc.

I watched 110%, Anti-chambre and La zone last night and they spent more time talking about the 'unfair' treatment of Latendresse or Kovalev's mood than the actual hockey game.

Aside from Danny Dubé or Joel Bouchard...you don't get many people who follow the Habs and actually talk about their play ON THE ICE. The other one's are more interested in soap opera's
u got time to lose !!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
If there is one thing i love about Carbo, its the fact that he doesnt care about the media.
He says whatver is on his mind and isnt scared to do so.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree with you that there are more good journalists than bad in the French media. But do you acknowledge the fact that there are a few bad apples that skew their output? Unfortunately, because they happen to scream the loudest their message sometime ends up as the accepted premise of questions in the Habs media scrums.

I personally don't like the term "French media" but it is legitimated by Team 990 for example, who use it generally in a respectful way (i.e let's not only look at our own **** but let's review what's being said in the french language media that have the dominant share of this media market).

Of course I do and I stated it before. Criticism of those individuals is legitimate, warranted, you name it. My motto when I see Michel Bergeronn on tv is 'balle dans nuque' (bullet to the back of the head). He needs to be put out of his misery. I'm joking, but what I'm saying is that I have the same difficulties with certain individuals as the majority of people have. My problem is not with legitimate criticism, it's with a certain attitude held by people like onice up here.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:23 PM
le_sean

This is kind of like when Gretzky blasted the international media in Salt Lake City, which really got that team rolling. Hopefully this has a similar effect, that the coach trusts his players to win regardless of what everyone else says.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Good move by Carbo. Everytime the team is in a difficult phase, the same stories always come back :

-Saku's not a good captain
-Europeans are lazy
-Carbo is not a good coach
-Gainey lost Ribeiro

And what makes me laugh is how people jump into the same boat without using their own judgement.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
u got time to lose !!
I often just watch it for pure comedic relief...

- I love it when Jean Perron stops everyone in his tracks and goes on his "When I coached the Habs" rants! Those are awesome, and his constant demand for a "defensman coach" or "l'effet Gainey" or when he calls the Habs "les soeurs volantes". It's pure gold

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
AH

What got me going last night is when Bergeron sat there and told everyone that the Habs don't know how to develop young players and give up on them too easily after isolated hick ups in performance, citing Ribeiro, Beachemin, and Hainsey.

Meanwhile, we had no less than 9 players in uniform last night + injured key player (Komi) who would qualify as young players having come up through the Habs system this decade and contributing greatly after facing some growing pains.

However Bergeron harped on the three in the press box (namely Latendresse). Carbo is absolutely right.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I often just watch it for pure comedic relief...

- I love it when Jean Perron stops everyone in his tracks and goes on his "When I coached the Habs" rants! Those are awesome, and his constant demand for a "defensman coach" or "l'effet Gainey" or when he calls the Habs "les soeurs volantes". It's pure gold
Jean Perron is funny man, i rarely watch the show but when i do it's because of him. Sometimes he will bring up interesting stuff but he's stuck in 110 structure. Him and Marc Bureau ( who always look angry and dosen't want to be there ) are the only good things they have going.

About Carbo well he should get his focus right, he should have taken the blame for Atlanta 1st goal. Blaming the media brings nothing to the team, they won't backoff.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
onice

Quote:
Of course I do and I stated it before. Criticism of those individuals is legitimate, warranted, you name it. My motto when I see Michel Bergeronn on tv is 'balle dans nuque' (bullet to the back of the head). He needs to be put out of his misery. I'm joking, but what I'm saying is that I have the same difficulties with certain individuals as the majority of people have. My problem is not with legitimate criticism, it's with a certain attitude held by people like onice up here.

Really, according to you that attitude is not rampant. Then answer me this: when xenophobic and tribalistic rants are uttered by those few individuals why hasn't there be one, just ONE reporter or commentator stand up and confront the xenophobe. Tell him he's wrong and shouldn't talk that nonsense on air?

It hasn't happened. What has happened is those same xenophobes continue getting air time and continue venting their rants.

If Carbo leads the Habs to a decade of last places, I will gladly accept it because of the courage he had today to stand up and speak the truth.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
I agree that some comments on these boards on the "French Media" go beyond fair criticism (I don't consider onice's post a particularly egregious case). Why I seldom answer them? They're a minority view in a somewhat underground English language forum.

Sometimes they reflect immaturity or anti-French xenophobia but often represent powerlessness in front of The Man who just happens to speak French in this case (i.e: the people driving the Habs news and commentary). And while those posters views are irrelevant in the big picture, the Man's views are not.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 12-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Rahan

What made me laugh real hard last night was Bergeron saying the following:

"What bothers me is that Carbo is saying that D'Agostini is not a 4th line player and needs ice time to prove himself. This doesn't bother me, it's just.. why did he not do this with Latendresse after he was called back from Hamilton last year??"

Alain Crête was like... "Uh, Latendresse was not in Hamilton last year.."

Bergeron replied: "Yes, he was sent down at the beginning of the year along with Lapierre."

And they changed subjects.

Just goes to show you how Bergeron really doesn't follow the team at all. He just gives random comments... What a clown, everyone knows Latendresse was never sent to Hamilton.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Newhabfan

The problem is though that all these "analysts" have a target public that thinks and reacts like them. If you do not believe me check this board (and here we are kinda selective and moderated - try the RDS Talkbacks for a change).

It's hard to me to know at what point all these critics express the position of a large group of hab fans or not.

Last night, when the Thrashers tied it, when people were going crazy against Carbo and the habs on these precise forums (check the threads) - however - the majority of the public went "Go HABS Go" instead of booing and I guess that helped.

Same with the "fire" Carbo poll a while ago - although 70-80% of the posts in the thread were asking for carbo to be changed, the majority of the votes went the reasonable way.

My point - the booers, the "bipolar" fans are just a minority - a highly vocal one but still a minority. Same goes for the anlysts.

In the world of my favourite hockey analyst, Pat Burns "In Montreal the competition between hockey journalists is tougher than between hockey players"

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote