HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Respect

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2008, 06:23 AM
DubiDubiDoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Respect

Last nights GDT was Sad. People need to learn how to treat eachother with respect. Its one thing to be frustrated and bash the team, but its completely unexceptable to be rude to eachother. Something that was said to someone else really bothered me, and I wont repeat it or point it out, I'll just hope I took it the wrong way. If you dont agree with someone, let them know, but treat them like a human. We gather here as Rangers fans, lets treat one another accordingly. If this is what we turn into @ 19-10-2, were a sad bunch, myself included... hopefully last night let everyone release their frustration

Old
12-11-2008, 06:44 AM
mrhockey193195

Agreed 100%. Everyone here is a Rangers fan, we all want to see the same thing happen: for our blueshirts to win!

Granted, it's great to disagree and have debates, but there's no reason to not keep it civil and respectful.

Old
12-11-2008, 07:25 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

im so glad this was brought up.

first, this board is supposed to be a forum. a place all fans to come and express their feeling towards their favorite team. there is passion, there is anger and there is, sometimes, love for the ny rangers. right now the team is struggling and the tone is pretty negative. no different than any other board, if you dont believe me, check it out.

all the things that makes this forum so good can also be looked at as a negative. we all feel strongly about our team. we all love the rangers. no one would put in the time we all do, watch all the games, put up avatars and pics and go through all this if we werent all huge passionate fans. we are here because we have something in common. this is a club, an association and it is exclusive to ny rangers fans. we all have a bond yet we dont always agree and thats the best part of this. we can express ourselves yet disagree, make arguments, debate and perhaps, influence each other. this forum is exactly what it is supposed to be.

all this negativity towards each other is normal. you cannot have passion without discourse. it just needs to be reigned in and controlled by US so that the mods dont need to step in and police us. when that happens, we lose control of the forum and then it is no longer an open forum and quite frankly, not as much fun for all. whether you are one who believes this team is in a slump or one that thinks things are broken and need repair, we must be able to keep things civil and proper.

when we start calling for people to change avatars, making comments about someones ethnicity or telling them to leave the forum then we have gone over the line. we are all brothers and sisters here. in essence, we are a family, albeit a disfunctional one, yet we are all still deserving of respect.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 12-11-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old
12-11-2008, 07:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Agreed, Dubi. Though I fear it may be a lost cause for some.

It's just pain.
Old
12-11-2008, 07:45 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
im so glad this was brought.

when we start calling for people to change avatars, making comments about someones ethnicity or telling them to leave the forum then we have gone over the line.
Precisely, this is a matter of basic decency, and I'm not suggesting that what was said wasn't said in jest, or that anyone is a bad person here, I'm sure we've all crossed the line trying to make a joke or get through to someone we thought we had to "educate, lol", I just think we ALL need to do a better job watching how we treat eachother...

I joke around alot, and am not easily offended btw, but some things shouldn't be said

Old
12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Precisely, this is a matter of basic decency, and I'm not suggesting that what was said wasn't said in jest, or that anyone is a bad person here, I'm sure we've all crossed the line trying to make a joke or get through to someone we thought we had to "educate, lol", I just think we ALL need to do a better job watching how we treat eachother...

I joke around alot, and am not easily offended btw, but some things shouldn't be said
Agreed. People just need to ask themselves, "Is this comment adding anything constructive to the discussion?" And if it's not, just don't post it.

Old
12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Respecting people is not a request — its a mandate. And a thread should not degenerate simply because a moderator is not there to watch over it.

If there is any objectionable content, please report the post (there no posts reported last night) and it will be addressed.

Bottom line: be good or be gone.

12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Respecting people is not a request its a mandate. And a thread should not degenerate simply because a moderator is not there to watch over it.

If there is any objectionable content, please report the post (there no posts reported last night) and it will be addressed.

Seems like we absolutely REQUIRE a mod parsing the GDTs. It sucks that we need to be treated like children, but there are just too many posters of late that seem to intentionally spoil what is an otherwise awesome place to talk hockey.

Old
12-11-2008, 07:55 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Respecting people is not a request its a mandate. And a thread should not degenerate simply because a moderator is not there to watch over it.

Well said...

and last night was kind of a crap fest of frustration from the start so I didn't want to report something unless the person it was directed act seemed offended, i hope it was just a heat of the moment thing that wont happen again!

Old
12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I support this thread...

Ive been out and about the last few games and have relied on the GDT to check in on the game from the road and its pretty depressing. Not just the play but the weight of the negativity in the GDT is heavy. When I get home and watch the game on DVR its never as bad as the GDT would lead you to believe...

12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
The Thomas J.*

Wow, what happen last night, Now I need to pour over yesterdays GDT. I do agree with Dubi. there is no need to get pissy with one N other, I know it;s easy to do when we are all hiding behind a computer, but we all come here for one thing & one thing only, to Root for the NYR, & we all have one Goal, to win a SC!

BTW, I don't even know how to report a bad post.

Old
12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
BTW, I don't even know how to report a bad post.
Thanks for asking.

Use the triangle icon in the bottom left (below your avatar) and from there its pretty self-explanatory.
Attached Images
File Type: gif report.gif‎ (1,014 Bytes, 131 views)

Old
12-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Garv23

I agree with the original poster, but this is the internet. This is exactly what I hate about the internet. People say what they want behind a computer without having to worry about consequences.

I belong to one other forum. It's a music forum, and it's no different. The best thing you can do is find some time where you can actually get together and meet in person. (meet and greet before a game or something) In my case it's various music festivals. You'll never look at posts the same way again. ESPECIALLY from the biggest *******s Putting faces to the words really makes a huge difference.

Go Rangers!!

Old
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Great post by the OP

Personally i love coming here, its one of the few places someone like myself can come and keep up to date with my favourite team, we get next to no Hockey coverage over here in Scotland so being part of this community is something that for me is really enjoyable.

I have mentioned this before in an other thread that although i dont always agree with what is posted i certainly respect it, everyone is entitled to their opinion if you dont agree with it post a reply with your reasons for not agreeing but dont start resorting to name calling and downright bad manners to an other poster.

We all want the Rangers to be successful but have different views on how that can be achieved.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:45 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm gonna keep this post bumped up for the next week.

Old
12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Its great thats there are so many funny and helpful people here too, that gets lost in all the negativity sometimes, I've kinda learned that if I stay out of the trade propasal threads I usually have a great experience, lol.
I definately dont want to have to avoid the GDT's too, I laffed at alot of the stuff last night, and ripping the team when they play bad is theraputic sometimes, but we have to make sure everyone has a good experience.

Old
12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Bury Your Head

Hmm...I guess this stuff happened AFTER I stopped posting. I left right after the game ended. Is that when things got out of hand? It wasn't bad during the game...

Old
12-11-2008, 11:11 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Yeah, it was pretty late, but again, it was NOT some monumental pouring of filth or anything, there were just a few things said that while maybe they were meant to be harmless, were just completely off color for this forum. As I mentioned above, its more about treating eachother right ALL the time more than anything else. All the Mod's work hard to keep us happy and enjoying the forum, in return for the freedom were given here on the Rangers board where somewhere else they may be more strict with the infractions, we need to a better job policing ourselves (which soo many here do a good job of) so the mods dont have to feel like there babysitting. Like SBOB said, "be good or be gone" is a great motto. Remember, its not our jobs to "discipline" people we disagree with, either ignore or engage respectfully..

Old
12-11-2008, 11:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I agree with the original poster, but this is the internet. This is exactly what I hate about the internet. People say what they want behind a computer without having to worry about consequences.
There are consequences. And the mods will need to get more involved.

Old
12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
ruckus*

First of all, these kind of threads are exactly what IS wrong with this board. You'd think this was a cooking board for women in their 40's.

"We all want the Rangers to do well that's why we come blah blah blah"

Seriously? Like, seriously? Everyone on this board either A) Wants the coach fired, B) Wants half of our team traded, or C) Wants Hartford to take the ice at the Garden.

The banter on the site is 90% negative and yet if someone calls you a name in the process of telling you that, then oh no!

Lighten up guys, the fact that people get upset about stuff like this ridiculous.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with me calling you all losers and calling someone who IS A RUSSIAN a Russian.

Give me a freakin' break. And to think I wouldn't say that to anyone's face is laughable. You all don't know me. Quit getting so offended people. It's really not a big deal.

Old
12-11-2008, 11:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
First of all, these kind of threads are exactly what IS wrong with this board. You'd think this was a cooking board for women in their 40's.

Seriously? Like, seriously? Everyone on this board either A) Wants the coach fired, B) Wants half of our team traded, or C) Wants Hartford to take the ice at the Garden.

The banter on the site is 90% negative and yet if someone calls you a name in the process of telling you that, then oh no!

Lighten up guys, the fact that people get upset about stuff like this ridiculous.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with me calling you all losers and calling someone who IS A RUSSIAN a Russian.

Give me a freakin' break. And to think I wouldn't say that to anyone's face is laughable. You all don't know me. Quit getting so offended people. It's really not a big deal.
Yup, God forbid we preach civility in discourse.

Old
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I understand what you're saying. But this is a private board and you agreed to the rules of conduct when you registered. And, no, name calling is not allowed.

Old
12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

jeez what happened in the thread?

Old
12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yup, God forbid we preach civility in discourse.

Cause this board is about preaching right? No one cares if you think people should be nice to each other. But that fact some one here can't look past a post if it says the word loser in it, says more about the majority on this board then it does about me.

Old
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Cause this board is about preaching right? No one cares if you think people should be nice to each other. But that fact some one here can't look past a post if it says the word loser in it, says more about the majority on this board then it does about me.
I can't imagine any situation where you would have to resort to calling someone a loser in order to make your point.

Closed Thread