TimmytheTank

vCash: 500
As long as we beat the Canadiens I really don't care

TimmytheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
LetEmPlay

Winning at least one round and not losing to Montreal makes it successful for me.

LetEmPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Pachyderm I

i got a little greedy and voted for the cup option...
but usually i hope for a winning season and maybe the playoffs... but with this start i am thinking that going deeper into the post season isn't completely out of the order...

Pachyderm I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Winning one round.

This team is playing great lately, but I don't expect them to keep up the "14 wins in 17 games" pace.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

I want the cup, but I picked two rounds. I think we should at least win two rounds....

If we should get bounced after that, its something we can build on next year and hopefully improve and go further. That being said... with a few tweaks, and the right bit of luck... these Boston Bruins have as good a chance as anyone of standing alone at the end of it all.

Last edited by TwineTickler: 12-13-2008 at 12:26 PM.
TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
captain stone

I voted for 2 rounds, but what I would consider successful for a season which does not end with a parade is this: a top-4 finish in the East, winning any series in which we have home ice, and not losing to the scabs. Beating them would be the next-best thing to winning the Cup itself; beating them AND winning the Cup would be historic: it hasn't happened since the 1929 POs, eighty years ago.

captain stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
misterjaggers

The team's a failure if it doesn't win the Stanley Cup?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Mount KilimanChara

Win one round.

I'll probably expect a bit more once that's cleared up, but that is what I thought pre-season and I'll stick to it. Even if the Bruins finish 1st in the league, I'll be happy enough with winning one round. Perhaps that would change if we got smoked or swept out in the second, but in the playoffs anything can happen (ask John Casey) so I'll let the bar raise itself after the first. But that first round victory is really, really necessary. Almost mandatory. If the Bruins win the President's Trophy and lose in the first round this year will have been a failure to me.

Mount KilimanChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
22Brad Park

I voted win 3 rounds because if they don't ,all we will here is they are regular season team.If they win the East then they should be expected to come out of it.Anyhow,I'm with them win or lose,PROUD OF THIS TEAM!

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
What else would you call it?

Improvement is good, but the goal is a cup. I mean, why play if you're goal isn't to win it all?

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
What else would you call it?

Improvement is good, but the goal is a cup. I mean, why play if you're goal isn't to win it all?
It isn't very useful to define success as winning the Cup and failure as not winning it.

If those are the only criteria, then how do you measure the performance of a team's players, coach and G.M. in most seasons? The most successful franchise in history lost the Cup three out of four seasons.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 12-12-2008 at 10:33 PM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Bri

Quote:
It isn't very useful to define success as winning the Cup and failure as not winning it.

If those are the only criteria, then how do you measure the performance of a team's players, coach and G.M. in most seasons? The most successful franchise in history lost the Cup three out of four seasons.
You'll have to forgive me for being somewhat hard headed on this issue. As a long time Bruins fan, I saw a good team in the 80's and early 90's fill the Garden to capacity just about every night. I saw an owner and GM who were happy with a full building and do nothing to try and put that team over the top. It was always one dominant line and not much after that.

Granted, in a salary cap era with a team that spends to the cap (or close to it) these concerns are no longer valid. But, it still makes me very nervous (even recognizing the validity of your point) to consider anything less than a cup a successful season. I think you can use categories such as "better" and "worse" to judge the team, coaches, GM etc. but I think you only give the "successful" tag to one team each year. But that's just me...

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Old Time Sauce

The Stanley Cup Or Bust

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Old Time Sauce

Quote:
yes they are a failure... do you think any NHL player and team say's something like "hey at least we won the first round" no i'm pretty sure theres only one goal and if you don't reach it that means you failed

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:57 AM
ODAAT

I`m with the majority, winning 2 rounds, but I also would not see it as a huge step back if this team wins one round and bows out after 2. I must, at all times, keep in perspective just how mismanaged, disorganized, irrelevant this organization was less than 2 years ago. In that time, personnel mistakes have been made, but none large enough to hinder the growth of this franchise.

Jacobs brought in a GM with a history of being familiar and in tune with the importance of inter organizational drafting developing with his time in Ottawa, and by all appearances, Jacobs has kept his paws away from the hockey decisions, kudos to him.

The scouting job (pre Chia years and current) has been fabulous, the direction Chia went in recognizing what style of coach was needed after the Lewis gaffe, he was brought in, and the prospects have developed so much quicker than this fan ever expected.

Cam brought that passion and love of the game back into the light, a committment to fans to be honest, hard working team, no grey areas, the fans have been slowly returning their appreciation with solid crowds in the fake Garden. This franchise is no longer irrelevant, it is no longer viewed by fans as untrustworthy, they have a solid core of talent both with the big boys and developing in the minors.

A second round appearance alone is a huge step in the right direction for me, a loss would be disappointing, but more than acceptable in comparison to where this franchise was less than 2 yrs ago.
Cheers
Andrew

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I've been thinking about this thread for a few days, but I still don't know how to answer...

On one hand, this season is already a success. Because regardless of what happens in the playoffs, the B's have arrived and are set up to contend for the next few years.

On the other hand, I would be disapionted if the B's don't win at least a round. And if I'm being honest, think they should be playing in the Conf Finals.

On the other other hand, playoff success is a fickle thing. Detroit is built to contend every year, but there have been plenty of rounds where they didn't get past 1 or 2 teams. Sometimes going deep has more to do with who you play, than who you are. Do you get lucky and face a team with a cold goalie or ravaged by injuries. Or do you outplay the opposition every night and just get beat by a goalie that's playing out of this world.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'm very happy with where this team is and where they're headed. I'm happy with the GM, the brain trust he's assembled, the plan he has in place both in terms of the kinds of players he likes and the kinds of players he talks about getting in terms of style (as well as the one guy he wants to add this year).

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Tim O'Reilly

This alone:

Tim O'Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
yohan1212

I would consider the year being succesful if we eliminate montreal from the playoffs during their centennial year. i would absolutely love that!

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

I figured it would be a good time to Bump This Thread.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

I would have included this one:
beat the habs 9 out of 10 times.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

It is already a successful season. Anyone who says it isn't has illusions of what the year would be. This a Hell of a young team people!

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Kurt Sexington*

No offense, but some of you guys are losers.

The Bruins come within a whisker of winning the President's Cup but a successful season is winning "one round and beating the Habs."

Kurt Sexington* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:10 PM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNo1Center View Post
No offense, but some of you guys are losers.

The Bruins come within a whisker of winning the President's Cup but a successful season is winning "one round and beating the Habs."
The poll was taken early in the season.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Kurt Sexington*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
The poll was taken early in the season.
Did you read the last four or five responses before mine? Seems to be quite similar to the answers this thread was getting before the season started.

I'm sorry, but if you're a Bruins fan after a season like this it should be Cup Finals or nothing.

Kurt Sexington* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Sanman19

Send a message via AIM to Sanman19
kinda sad reading this thread lol.

I don't think its SC or bust, this is part of the building process

Sanman19 is offline   Reply With Quote