HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ouch! My Feet Hurt: Which Brand of Skates to Buy?

Old
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
HML

vCash: 500
Ouch! My Feet Hurt: Which Brand of Skates to Buy?

I've been skating in Bauer Vapor XIV's for about 3 years now and they just aren't very comfortable for my feet. I am confident that I was sized properly at my LHS and I don't over-tighten my laces. My feet are on the flatter side and the arch support in the boot seems pretty built-up--do you think that is the main problem?

The problem I have found with buying skates is that trying them on in the LHS and walking around in the store for 15 minutes (yes, even after they're baked) really doesn't give you a sense if they are the right skates for you. Only when you have skated/played in them for a while--when, of course, it's too late to return them if they aren't right for you--can you know if they are keepers.

So, what to do? Even if I conclude that Vapors aren't right for me, how do I know whether I need the Bauer One series or CCM's, RBK's, Eastons, etc.?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by HML: 12-10-2008 at 02:15 PM.
HML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i would suggest going to another LHS and trying on each brand of skates and go from there. go with what feels right.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
EmptyNetter

For starters you might want to read through this thread stickied at the top of the forum (if you hadn't seen it) : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=546975

I'm little help with skates since I've worn the same ones for about 10 years. However, I have a similar problem in buying new sneakers. Can't tell from a few minutes of wearing them in the store but after walking around for a day you know exactly what's wrong with them. I've got a high arch and if my sneaker doesn't support it I get plantar fascitis.

Try to pinpoint the spots where your feet are most uncomfortable and tell the guy who fits you for your next pair. I'd expect the arch, instep, ankle (support) and width are of major concern.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
I have the same issue. Arch support is the one thing that never breaks in- if it feels uncomfortable, It will never work quite right. You could try a flatter footbed, but if you're trying on new skates just try on different brands, and also, sometimes different skates within a brand will fit differently, ie, the Vapor line and the Supreme line (One 95 and such) fit differently. CCM's Tacks and Vectors fit differently- The Tacks are flatter IIRC, if your LHS has a few pairs left in stock.

Easton though is what fit my flatter arch. The Synergy line fit my feet perfectly. Not sure how the stealth fit, I got mine before they started that line of skates.

But try a bunch on, and if they don't feel comfortable enough to wear around on a daily basis, Don't get that skate. Remember, Arch Support Does not break in, ever.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:42 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I have very flat feet and it was an issue until I had custom arch supports made. NO back pain at all now, well worth the investment as the pair has lasted me about 10 years now.

I have the same skates as you, as well. I also have very narrow feet, and I find the vapors ran a bit more narrow than some other brands.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
JorgeRocks!

i got my vector u+'s because of my high arch, and had one90's and supreme 8090's before because of much the same thing. the comfiest skates on the market are probably reebok pumps, maybe try those,

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:10 AM
JorgeRocks!

also could just having three year old mid level skates be the problem? i have no idea of your playing history or how much you play now so.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
stick9

HML - I agree, you can't determine what's the proper fit just by spending some time walking around your LHS. Unfortunately, it's really the only thing you can do. I try and spend as much time as possible in them at the shop (at least 30 minutes) and again at home before I take them out on the ice. I'll even work in a public skate if possible. I can usually tell if I have good fit or not after just a few laps. Hopefully your LHS will work with you to make sure you got the proper fit even after the sale.

There is no one brand that fits better than the rest. It all depends on the persons foot shape.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
stick9

HML - I agree, you can't determine what's the proper fit just by spending some time walking around your LHS. Unfortunately, it's really the only thing you can do. I try and spend as much time as possible in them at the shop (at least 30 minutes) and again at home before I take them out on the ice. I'll even work in a public skate if possible. I can usually tell if I have good fit or not after just a few laps. Hopefully your LHS will work with you to make sure you got the proper fit even after the sale.

There is no one brand that fits better than the rest. It all depends on the persons foot shape.

Old
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
BleedCanucks

Buy Graf. I've tried most types of skates during my 15 years of playing hockey. No other skate even compares. Anyone that's tried them will tell you the same thing. I've used the 703's for quite sometime. Just get them re-baked every year and they're good to go. Awesome skate.

BleedCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Stefan It Up

I'd buy the Graf's made in Europe. The ones made in N. America have been really lacking.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 09:52 PM
BleedCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
I'd buy the Graf's made in Europe. The ones made in N. America have been really lacking.
Bingo.

BleedCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 06:43 PM
rye&ginger

I also have a flat arch and the Baurer Vapors have been good to me. It might be a width issue so take a look at that part of the sizing also. I tried RBK and Graf skates also but they did not feel as good. They rubbed in areas etc.. The skate should feel like its a part of your foot.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCanucks View Post
Bingo.
I got American Grafs and they're heaven on my feet still.

But I agree with the earlier post, try on as many skates as you can. The best pair of skates is the pair that fits your foot structure best.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
rinkrat22

I would vote for grafs, they are the first skate that I ever had that fir my foot correctly. now that being said you have to try on as many as you can until you find the pair that is best for you. think about how your shoes fit and what do you look for in a good fit. use that thought process when explaining to your hockey retailer what you need. i have a wide toe, with a narrow heel. all my shoes wear out on the back inside of the shoe. for me skates never fit right. to get them tight enough that my heal didn't move my toes would go numb. until i bought grafs. it takes research and time but when you find the right pair you will enjoy the game so much more. when you think how expensive top end skates are it can make you flinch. I skate 3-4 times a week. my grafs have 4 years on them. $450 was scary at first but I am getting my moneys worth.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
deanosaur

I vote, everyones foot is different. Just go to the damn store.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
stick9

I find it interesting at how many people recommend Graf's yet when I look at what people are wearing, it ain't Graf.

Old
12-19-2008, 09:26 AM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I find it interesting at how many people recommend Graf's yet when I look at what people are wearing, it ain't Graf.
cause they dont wanna pay the price for them.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 07:10 PM
rye&ginger

I thought Grafs were too heavy also but the fit was good, but not better, than the Bauers I have. Again, its way too personal to get skate advice on a forum. You have to try in store.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:27 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
cause they dont wanna pay the price for them.
Prices are no different really than any other company.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote