HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Grafs...what should I know about them?

Old
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
Grafs...what should I know about them?

I've always skated in CCMS. I love t blade system and am looking for skate that has them and will last me quite awhile since this is probably going to be the last pair of skates I will be able to buy in quite sometime with a baby on the way. I always prefer the lightest skate possible,but I really need a boot that will last and hopefully will be light. I've heard Grafs are a quality boot,but don't know much about them Any info is appreciated.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

They make great goalie skates. My friend though that are forwards told me that they've had ankle problems initially with the skates.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Nbr-17

Graf makes a different skate for different feet and these at different price levels.
You have the 700 series, the G series and the Ultra G series.
i.e. a 705 will fit similar to a G5 and a Ultra G5. The more you pay the light the skate will be.
Best to go to a store that carries the whole line up and try them on.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
deanosaur

I love Graf skates. Have had 3 pairs of these bad boys. Bake em and they fit perfectly to you're foot. Obviously skates are a hit or a miss type thing, best thing to do is just go to a store

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I love Graf skates. Have had 3 pairs of these bad boys. Bake em and they fit perfectly to you're foot. Obviously skates are a hit or a miss type thing, best thing to do is just go to a store
go to your LHS and get fit for graf's they have several different skates for different foot types, so pick the best fit for your foot type.

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
czechmate25

The only thing you need to know about Graf's.......they are they best skate out there! Just my opinion, of course.

I have used CCM, Bauer, Easton.....and my Graf 707's are by far the best skate I have ever owned. Got them back in '03, had them baked and they still are in great shape.

One thing I will say about them though is that sometimes on really cold days, my toes go almost numb. The reason I thought of was that the toe of the boot on the grafs aren't covered with the fiber most skates are....maybe b/c they don't have that covering, the inside of the boot itself gets colder. Not sure if that is the reason or not but a few of my friends who also use graf said the same thing happens to them on cold days.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Nbr-17

Some more good info on Grafs:

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_body.pdf

http://www.grafcanada.com/science/every_foot.pdf

Oh yeah, I skate in a pair of 703's and love them.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Evil Ted

Ive got the 705s there great, actually helped my skating, next skate im going to get when these are done is the G5s, the same boot except lighter.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
noobman

Grafs feel great on your feet. If you can afford them you should definitely get them!

They take some adjusting to though. Your heel and the bridge of your foot are raised slightly. It feels different, but it's actually very comfortable.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Obviously every model fits differently. Try all of them on, because a 705 fits different than a 709, and so on.
There have been a few cases when Canadian-made Graf outsoles either start pulling away from the boot or the start to shred on the bottom. Make sure where ever you get them from is versed on the quality control issues and they explain the warranty to you.
The cobra holder has a pretty aggressive forward pitch, it's about as different as the CCM holder as you can get. You'll either have to get used to it, profile your blades or just get new holders all together.

But you probably knew all that.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
JorgeRocks!

their player skates are heavier than skiboots, but yet their goalie skates are surprisingly light. go figure

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote