HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The big question in my mind is: does Messier stay or go?

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Laches

vCash: 500
The big question in my mind is: does Messier stay or go?

Now that the Rangers have finally, for once, thrown in the towel and abandoned all phony pretenses of thinking they're still in the playoff race, does Messier still want to retire a Ranger?

You'd think the allure of getting off of this sinking ship and getting one last shot at the dance (remember he hasn't seen postseason action since the Rangers last made it) would be too much for the old man to resist. You'd think he'd want to avoid going out the exact same way Gretzky did. I have trouble seeing what the point of him being on the Rangers is at this juncture. I wouldn't even expect much from him in return, just get him off the Rangers onto a contender where he would have so much to offer in a limited role.

Old
03-04-2004, 12:21 AM
NYR2

I'll ask another question on top of that one...

If Mess does go, who wears the C? I assume Lindros would, if he's not traded also. So, if Eric wears the C, who takes the two A's?

Old
03-04-2004, 12:49 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I'll ask another question on top of that one...

If Mess does go, who wears the C? I assume Lindros would, if he's not traded also. So, if Eric wears the C, who takes the two A's?

Id give the A to Holik and De Vries.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
It makes no sense for Messier to stay. If the Rangers are really blowing this thing up (and they are), it makes no sense for Mess to be here. Purge the lockerroom of all things from the past and start over.

Give the C to Lindros or Jagr or Holik give an "A" to deVries and Baranby. Or just to a revolving captainship.

03-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Jackson Ranger

Mess has to go. I agree with Singn, if you're going to blow it up, do it right.

As far as the C, give it to Holik and give the A's to a deVries and maybe Lundmark or Ortmeyer. Gotta make the tranisition folks!

Old
03-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Personally, If I'm Kevin Lowe, I would have been a HELLUVA lot more interested in Messier than Nedved. Not only from an on ice production standpoint, but as the PR stunt of the deadline, and it probably would have cost him even less.

Old
03-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
Mess has to go, I agree. He's the last of the old regime, it's over.

Old
03-04-2004, 09:57 AM
ddheyman

There is no more point in keeping him. If you were going to keep leetch, then I could see it being a slap in the face (some would consider it) to trade Mess, but what is staying here for now? To see a terrible team lose a lot? Trade him to Ottawa with Barnaby or Simon for a decent pick ...

Old
03-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Mess has to go. I agree with Singn, if you're going to blow it up, do it right.

As far as the C, give it to Holik and give the A's to a deVries and maybe Lundmark or Ortmeyer. Gotta make the tranisition folks!

Messier should get the choice of being traded now or retiring at the end of this season. If Lindros is still around , he should get the 'C'. As far as I am concerned , Holik should be sent packing...

Old
03-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Messier should get the choice of being traded now or retiring at the end of this season. If Lindros is still around , he should get the 'C'. As far as I am concerned , Holik should be sent packing...
Letting Mess decide his future is a microcosm of the problems with this organization.

He's been paid very well by this organization and if Slats can get a draft pick/prospect for him, he should be gone just like Leetch who I think gave more to this organization than Mess did (comparing longevity and results).

BTW, who is going to get the "C" when Lindros bumps into John Amirante during the national anthem and receives his 9th concussion?

Old
03-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Letting Mess decide his future is a microcosm of the problems with this organization.

He's been paid very well by this organization and if Slats can get a draft pick/prospect for him, he should be gone just like Leetch who I think gave more to this organization than Mess did (comparing longevity and results).

BTW, who is going to get the "C" when Lindros bumps into John Amirante during the national anthem and receives his 9th concussion?
My point about Mess is that they aren't going to get anything worthwhile for a 43 year old . If he is entertaining playing next year , then he should be dealt for whatever they can get. I agree totally that Leetch gave more to the organization. If they clean house the right way , maybe there should not be a 'C' in the lineup until someone earns it ???

Old
03-04-2004, 10:45 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

He's gotta go. The King is dead, Long Live a New King ( wouldn't annoint one till the next camp ).

Revolving captaincy for now.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Messier should get the choice of being traded now or retiring at the end of this season.
If Mess should get that choice, Brian should have gotten it first.

Old
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
If Mess should get that choice, Brian should have gotten it first.
messier should be moved, he will not have a choice, however i doubt he will bea dealt anywhere except to a true contender

here is what i can see going down for us in the next few days

messier to sens for a mid to late pick and future considerations
lindros to the wings for conditional picks
rucinsky to the sharks for a 3rd to 4th round pick
barnaby to the avs or sharks for a pick or prospect
malakhov to the devils or tampa for a late pick

poti is still a player i can see moved, if we include cash it is even more possible my only question is where does he end up and for what?

holik, jagr, and kasper will not be moved
de Vries could be moved but you have to have some veteran presence with kids and kasper is not going to be enough and de Vries can log 1-2 minutes

as we stand now for next season
de Vries-poti
kasper-tyutin
purinton-kondratiev

7-man nycholat

i would still like the upgrade someone over poti and i dont think purinton is an everyday 5-6 defensemen, lets hope sather has something else up his sleeve

just because we are rebuilding we still have needs
1) good coach
2) goaltending
3) defense

lets see what we do

Old
03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
OldBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
Mess has to go, I agree. He's the last of the old regime, it's over.
Agreed. The Cup was an entire decade ago. It was a great feeling at the time, but man, it's been 10 years. We need to let the yoots take hold of the team and create a new identity. Yes, Mess was arguably our greatest leader, but despite the lack of Cups, the team has a good list of solid captains from the past 75 years. Another guy will rise up to take the team in a new direction. Anyway, my point (before I forget) is that having Mess stay on as captain will stunt the team's growth. Some of the yoots will be in awe of him or intimidated by him and they'll be too preoccupied with him rather look to themselves and the rest of the team to make things happen. And like someone else said, if you trade Leetch, what's the point of keeping the last remaining guy from '94?

Last edited by OldBlueshirt: 03-04-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Closed Thread