HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

What in the world is going on in Dallas?

Old
12-10-2008, 10:19 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
What in the world is going on in Dallas?

I've never seen a team who had it all going for them cripple into nothingness so quickly. A seemingly well balanced team heading into the season has turned into a group of guys who have no chemistry and seemingly don't care whether they win or lose; and the booming crowd from last years playoffs has vanished, leaving the stands a ghost town.

As it stands, Dallas is on pace to finish bottom 4 in the league. With Zubov, Modano, and Lehtinen on the way out soon (Lehtinen may have played his last game already), is it time to make drastic moves like trading aging and underachieving Marty Turco for a younger goalie of the future? Or maybe a coaching change?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
It's 27 games.

Sorry, we're not Tampa Bay.

We have a solid foundation for the future. No need to go out and make radical changes.

And note, on the crowd...it was like that at this time last year as well.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
batmansuncle

Turco is having an off year, Defence cant seem to get it together, and just a ton of bad luck. Like example the GWG tonight against the Yotes was just a bad bounce.

Also Injuries arent helping. I'd like to say Avery but i dont think hes that big of a problem

Theres still 50 games left so i dont think its time to panic yet, and the way i see it if we keep on struggling then well we get a chance at a real good draft pick!

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
It's 27 games.

Sorry, we're not Tampa Bay.

We have a solid foundation for the future. No need to go out and make radical changes.

And note, on the crowd...it was like that at this time last year as well.
That's a long stretch. I'm not saying Dallas is doomed for the future or something like that, I'm just saying that something is up when a team (albeit, an injured one) alot of people thought would have a good chance at winning the Cup has less points than anyone in the west a third of the way into the season.

I'm not trying to be some hotshot with a radical solution to the current problem, I'm just asking you guys what you think some possible solutions may be.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
I don't have the solution. But I surely don't think the solution is to make some dramatic trade as you asked about.

Modano (outside of tonight) has had one of the best starts to the season in recent memory.

Eriksson, Neal, Brunnstrom, and our rookie defensemen are all going to be huge parts to our franchise's future.

Yes the defense is not performing well, but we still have 2 sophomores back there. Nisky is no doubt in a sophomore slump and we all saw what happened with Fistric.

If it's like this next year, then yes, I agree. A change is needed all over. But not now.

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:32 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
It's just a bad season it happens every player will have at least one bad season in their career. Every bounce is going against the Stars, if they're going to have issues(injures, bad seasons) might as well have everything happen in one season as opposed to several different seasons.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:34 PM
starsfan4ever

Looks like this season is going to be a learning experience for our young guys. Hopefully they actually learn something and put mistakes behind them in the future.

I am not worried about anything, but I think this is going to be Mo's, Lehts, and Zubov's last season. We still have a good core here, so with that money we can patch the holes, and if losing continues add a good piece for the future.

Turco is kind of worrisome to me though.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 10:39 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
I think this is pretty instructive. The following is the roster from Game 3 of the Western semifinals against the Sharks -- arguably the Stars' high-ebb in terms of quality of play. Bolded are the players who played in tonight's game.

NICKLAS GROSSMAN
STEPHANE ROBIDAS

MATTIAS NORSTROM
MATT NISKANEN
TREVOR DALEY
MIKE MODANO

BRENDEN MORROW
STU BARNES
NIKLAS HAGMAN
ANTTI MIETTINEN
LOUI ERIKSSON
JERE LEHTINEN
MARK FISTRIC
STEVE OTT
JOEL LUNDQVIST
SERGEI ZUBOV
MIKE RIBEIRO
BRAD RICHARDS
MARTY TURCO

JOHAN HOLMQVIST

yeah.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
Looks like this season is going to be a learning experience for our young guys. Hopefully they actually learn something and put mistakes behind them in the future.

I am not worried about anything, but I think this is going to be Mo's, Lehts, and Zubov's last season. We still have a good core here, so with that money we can patch the holes, and if losing continues add a good piece for the future.

Turco is kind of worrisome to me though.
I heard Modano's keen on another year...I hope he is anyway with the way he is playing...hes been a bright light this year.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I think this is pretty instructive. The following is the roster from Game 3 of the Western semifinals against the Sharks -- arguably the Stars' high-ebb in terms of quality of play. Bolded are the players who played in tonight's game.

NICKLAS GROSSMAN
STEPHANE ROBIDAS

MATTIAS NORSTROM
MATT NISKANEN
TREVOR DALEY
MIKE MODANO

BRENDEN MORROW
STU BARNES
NIKLAS HAGMAN
ANTTI MIETTINEN
LOUI ERIKSSON
JERE LEHTINEN
MARK FISTRIC
STEVE OTT
JOEL LUNDQVIST
SERGEI ZUBOV
MIKE RIBEIRO
BRAD RICHARDS
MARTY TURCO

JOHAN HOLMQVIST

yeah.
Stu Barnes didn't play in the series against detroit, he was injured against San Jose. Jere Lehtinen went out in game 1 of the WCF against Detroit and didn't play again.

who did we have in their place? that's right. Krys Barch and Toby Peterson

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
What's wrong with the Stars this year?

Injuries to key players.
Poor cap management by the GMs (this is where the Avery signing hurts most) leading to bad trades and the inability to sign players at needed positions.
Regression by a couple key rookies from last season.
A poor year by Turco.
Middling years from some other parts of the supporting cast.

That's about it.

As for the stands being empty, they're always a ghost town this time of year. Most of those lower bowl tickets are sold, people just don't come to games that don't strike their fancy, and with the ecomony tanking, the re-sale market is far from strong.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote