HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

12/11/08 "Alternative Energy" - Panthers VS. Oilers

View Poll Results: Who will win the game?
Panthers 25 73.53%
Oilers 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2008, 12:53 AM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Jacob Markstrom
Prince of the NHL. ,future KING!

Old
12-12-2008, 03:12 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
The money freed up by Zednik, Dvorak and Pelts in the off-season should be enough to get Andy signed. The kids, as we see can sufficiently replace those 3 next season. In regards to Booth, I am assuming Bouw is gone, so we should have the money to re-sign him.
We are going to be under the cap by at least $20 million next season, so we arent going to have a problem signing anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portal333 View Post
Andy's future salary makes me wonder how the whole cap space thing (as well as the rumored saving) will work out. Since Vokoun is untradable because of his contract, right?
The cap is going to drop by a couple of million at the most, but the season after next, its suppose to take a big hit from the economy, so stated by Bettman.

Old
12-12-2008, 07:54 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
How long has McCabe been wearing the "A"? Is is just for this game or because of all of the injuries?
anybody....?

Old
12-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Can we now agree that Craig Anderson is not only the best goalie on the Florida Panthers but also one of the best, if not the best, goalie playing in the NHL at the moment? Florida has found it's Tim Thomas and didn't have to use a First and 2 Second Round Draft Choices to acquire him nor pay him $6 mil a year. JM better sign him to an extension soon as the price is skyrocketing with every victory!!! Anderson is living proof of my long held theory that you don't have to break the bank to have good goaltending!!!
Except Andy will be UFA this season and looking for a big payday. And lots of other teams have cheaper goalies that don't work out. It's kind of an unusual situation. And don't give Boston credit - they wouldn't even have given Timmy a shot if they hadn't had a case of the St. Louis Blues...that is, too many goalie injuries. Tim stole the job, and then managed to fight to keep it when Boston tried to replace him with Manny Fernandez.

And I have to wonder if Andy plays this well if he's the clear cut starter with no challenge from a supposedly "elite" player. After all - he got the starting job in Chicago and failed miserably.

But I know you, you like GMs to roll the dice and take chances - just so long as it's the ones you've suggested. Otherwise, they're stupid moves.

I must say I'm shocked to see this result this morning, and quite happy. The Panthers - down 4 top players - are 1 point behind Carolina for 2nd in the Southeast with the same number of wins, and just 2 points behind 8th. If I'm DeBoer, I'm really hesitant to put the usual suspects back in the lineup. Stillman and Booth, sure...but Horton and Zednik? Do you bother? And honestly, I have more confidence in Zeds coming back and playing hard than in Horton. Not that I really want to give up and trade the guy who'd been our top scorer...but when he went out with his injury is when the whole rest of the team picked up. Maybe he needs time on a checking line.

12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
But I know you, you like GMs to roll the dice and take chances - just so long as it's the ones you've suggested. Otherwise, they're stupid moves.
Well, that goes without saying.

And I guarantee you Andy won't be making $5.7mil next year and $6.3mil the year after like Vokoun will be doing. You're looking at a Legace or Mason type contract for Anderson, $2.15-$3mil a year, a contract signed after a career backup assumed a starting job and performed outstandingly over the course of one season.

Old
12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Well, that goes without saying.

And I guarantee you Andy won't be making $5.7mil next year and $6.3mil the year after like Vokoun will be doing. You're looking at a Legace or Mason type contract for Anderson, $2.15-$3mil a year, a contract signed after a career backup assumed a starting job and performed outstandingly over the course of one season.
Have either of them ever had the year Andy's having? How do you know he won't want $4 mil? What would you do if that's what he demands? Is he no longer useful to us then?

Old
12-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Have either of them ever had the year Andy's having? How do you know he won't want $4 mil? What would you do if that's what he demands? Is he no longer useful to us then?
Of course, his price would instantly make him useless to us according to GP. We would spend the next 6 years trying to find a $3 million starter...

Old
12-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Years Legace and Mason had upon gaining starting jobs and then signing new contracts.

Legace 2005/06 Detroit 37-8-3 2.19 .915%
Mason 2006/07 Nashville 24-11-4 2.38 .925%

I believe at the end of the season Andy's stats will be very similar to those of Legace and Mason in their breakout years. And if you think those seasons if Andy matched them wouldn't be good enough then i suggest you look at Luongo's 3 seasons in Vancouver which are very comparable to them.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Panthers/Leafs fan

An interesting quote from Souray: ""How many quality shots did we have?" asked Sheldon Souray. "Not very many. We might have had five chances. We floated a lot of them in there. It was a lousy performance."

My heart, which skipped many a beat, tells me that the Oilers got more than five good changes--but it does bear out what others have said, that the shot total can be deceiving.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:31 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Years Legace and Mason had upon gaining starting jobs and then signing new contracts.

Legace 2005/06 Detroit 37-8-3 2.19 .915%
Mason 2006/07 Nashville 24-11-4 2.38 .925%

I believe at the end of the season Andy's stats will be very similar to those of Legace and Mason in their breakout years. And if you think those seasons if Andy matched them wouldn't be good enough then i suggest you look at Luongo's 3 seasons in Vancouver which are very comparable to them.
Why even mention Legace's record on Detroit? Regardless, I bet Andy's save percentage and GAA (which you left out for some reason) are better than both. You seem convinced that he won't slow down, except, of course, when talking about how we'll be able to sign him for $2 mil or less. If he keeps it up, he's gone by your strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
An interesting quote from Souray: ""How many quality shots did we have?" asked Sheldon Souray. "Not very many. We might have had five chances. We floated a lot of them in there. It was a lousy performance."

My heart, which skipped many a beat, tells me that the Oilers got more than five good changes--but it does bear out what others have said, that the shot total can be deceiving.
The same was said about his record-breaking game by Islanders players last year.

Old
12-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Acadmus

pb1300 ought to have the new GDT up soon.

Closed Thread