HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
See ya later Pelletier.

GM McDonald needs
I can't say it was McDonald's fault. But they need some veteran leadership. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Old
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
See ya later Pelletier.

GM McDonald needs
Damnit I was hoping they would be able to keep Pelletier. I imagine Pelletier is going to earn a significantly better paycheck across the pond than he could in the AHL. If I remember right the better players in that league can earn just about as much as the NHL minimum. Which is way better than he would do on any team in the AHL. I can't blame the guy.

I'll miss him though, he was fun to watch this year.

Old
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I can't say it was McDonald's fault. But they need some veteran leadership. It will be interesting to see what they do.
I can't say that it's McDonald's either, but he is responsible for the make-up of that team (mostly), especially when it comes to AHL players and not some team's drafted prospects.

Old
05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
I can't say that it's McDonald's either, but he is responsible for the make-up of that team (mostly), especially when it comes to AHL players and not some team's drafted prospects.
I wish he would be more aggressive, but just like with the Blues, I doubt Peoria has much cash to throw around.

It will be interesting with so many (assumed) rookies coming in.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I wish he would be more aggressive, but just like with the Blues, I doubt Peoria has much cash to throw around.

It will be interesting with so many (assumed) rookies coming in.
I think I agree with you that McDonald needs to be more aggressive. His track record with the organization speaks for itself, but at least 5 or 6 European prospects have bolted from Peoria over the last 5 seasons. Whatever the causes that we can think of and dream up is an argument for another time, but something is up and I am curious what it is.

I think McDonald has done a pretty good job, but maybe he wears too many hats within the organization.

Old
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
At a time when the Blues are so young overall, you'd think that guys in Peoria would think they have a BETTER chance to crack the roster. But that doesn't seem to be the perception.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:18 PM
execwrite

According to the Hockey News website, Nate Guerin signed with Columbus.

Sorry to see him go.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post

Sorry to see him go.
Guenin helped stabilize the D in Peoria after he was acquired. That is a tough loss.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Robb_K

Quote:

Sorry to see him go.
That's Nate Guenin. The Blues' system might be getting a Guerin back, however (I hope!).

Does Peoria have even HALF a roster left? They're going to have to sign some players from outside the system to fill out the roster. It will be interesting to see who they invite to camp (as well as which undrafted players The Blues invite).

Old
07-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
That's Nate Guenin. The Blues' system might be getting a Guerin back, however (I hope!).

Does Peoria have even HALF a roster left? They're going to have to sign some players from outside the system to fill out the roster. It will be interesting to see who they invite to camp (as well as which undrafted players The Blues invite).
Right now, it looks like:

Forwards: Drazenovic (QO), Reaves (QO), Hensick (QO), Shattock (R), Sonne, McRae (R), Cracknell, Nigro (R), Peluso, Porter.

Defense: Strachan, Cundari (R), Fast, Cole (R), either Pietrangelo (R) or Nikitin (R).

Goal: Allen (R), Bishop.

It's not too bad, but there will still be a need to sign a few undrafted players to fill out the roster. I've been looking at some undrafted college seniors, and have some candidates in mind, which I'll post on the "Game Time" site some time in the near future.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Robb_K

Strachan may be the 7th defenceman in St. Louis. If he won't be, he'll be in Peoria, but then Nikitin may be in St. Louis. I think Pietrangelo will be with The Blues. If so, that will leave only 4 D-men in Peoria, unless both Nikitin AND Strachan are in Peoria. That would mean The Rivs would need 3 more. The list above has 10 forwards. They'll need 3-4 more. Looks like they'll need to pick up at least one career AHLer to bolster their scoring lines. They're clearly going to need Drazenovic, McRae, Sonne and Nigro to step up and have good scoring years. Hensick should help them a lot. But he might be gone a lot as an injury call-up.

Old
07-04-2010, 05:29 AM
execwrite

These guys were signed in April. Don't know their current status.

* Andrew Aggozino, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound center who led Niagara in the Ontario Hockey League with 37 goals, 29 assists and a +15 rating in 66 games.

* David Stich, a 6-2, 215-pound defenseman from the Czech Republic who was captain of Montreal's team in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, where he had 6 goals, 17 assists, 83 penalty minutes and a +12 rating in 47 games. Stich played four games with AHL Hartford last season.

* Matt Fraser, a 6-2, 210-pound left wing for Kootenay of the Western Hockey League, who was the WHL Eastern Conference Humanitarian of the Year, and scored 32 goals with 24 assists, 117 penalty minutes and a +20 rating in 65 games.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
These guys were signed in April. Don't know their current status.

* Andrew Aggozino, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound center who led Niagara in the Ontario Hockey League with 37 goals, 29 assists and a +15 rating in 66 games.

* David Stich, a 6-2, 215-pound defenseman from the Czech Republic who was captain of Montreal's team in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, where he had 6 goals, 17 assists, 83 penalty minutes and a +12 rating in 47 games. Stich played four games with AHL Hartford last season.

* Matt Fraser, a 6-2, 210-pound left wing for Kootenay of the Western Hockey League, who was the WHL Eastern Conference Humanitarian of the Year, and scored 32 goals with 24 assists, 117 penalty minutes and a +20 rating in 65 games.
Those guys were all signed to Amateur Tryout Contracts (ATO's) on the last weekend of the season, per this article HERE. They could still be property of the Rivermen, but I haven't heard of them being offered, or signing, an actual AHL contract.

The Rivermen did re-sign defenseman Darryl Boyle, who came over last year as paert of the Toivonen-for-Fallon swap and played pretty well for Peoria down the stretch... so that's something, anyway.

Old
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
execwrite

Rivermen sign Brennan Evans, a tough d-man

Old
07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Robb_K

Interesting that it's a 2-way contract. Why would The Blues do that, if they were going to keep both King and Janssen? Clearly, they plan on moving one of them, and having Brennan in reserve, at Peoria, in case their "enforcer" gets hurt.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Interesting that it's a 2-way contract. Why would The Blues do that, if they were going to keep both King and Janssen? Clearly, they plan on moving one of them, and having Brennan in reserve, at Peoria, in case their "enforcer" gets hurt.
I suppose Evans could be called up to the NHL to be an enforcer but I wouldn't count on it. He's more of a 2nd/3rd pairing AHL d-man that can also throw 'em. I don't really see any way the Blues would call him up to be an enforcer unless they plan to play him out of position as a forward as I would think the Blues would rather have 6 viable NHL d-men than 5 viable d-men and then Evans as the 6th d-man simply because he's a good fighter. For the most part, I see this as strictly a Peoria move and likely nothing more.

Old
07-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I suppose Evans could be called up to the NHL to be an enforcer but I wouldn't count on it. He's more of a 2nd/3rd pairing AHL d-man that can also throw 'em. I don't really see any way the Blues would call him up to be an enforcer unless they plan to play him out of position as a forward as I would think the Blues would rather have 6 viable NHL d-men than 5 viable d-men and then Evans as the 6th d-man simply because he's a good fighter. For the most part, I see this as strictly a Peoria move and likely nothing more.
Then why did they give him a 2-way contract? A two way AHL-ECHL contract wouldn't pay $500,000. Is that the only way they could get a decent 3rd pairing defenceman to come to Peoria?

Old
07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Then why did they give him a 2-way contract? A two way AHL-ECHL contract wouldn't pay $500,000. Is that the only way they could get a decent 3rd pairing defenceman to come to Peoria?
Think you are reading into this too much.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
sk84fun_dc

St. Louis / Peoria signed Oystrick, too

"Oystrick, meanwhile, signed a one-year, NHL-AHL deal. He fits in the top four with Peoria's unit, and will battle for a slot in St. Louis."

link

Old
07-11-2010, 07:49 PM
execwrite

Sounds like the Rivermen are just about done. Still need a scoring left wing, that's about it.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
He's an established AHL d-man so he's going to command more than an AHL-ECHL deal on the open market. Yeah, he got an NHL-AHL deal...but lets just say that it's highly unlikely the NHL part of the deal ever comes into play...and if it does, good for him and also good for the Blues as they would have to have him signed to an NHL deal anyway if they ever wanted to call him up to STL. Who cares if he's due to be paid $500K if he plays in the NHL. He will almost certainly be playing in the AHL, where he'll be making $100K.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
St. Louis / Peoria signed Oystrick, too

"Oystrick, meanwhile, signed a one-year, NHL-AHL deal. He fits in the top four with Peoria's unit, and will battle for a slot in St. Louis."

link
I don't like these public statements telling Peoria fans that these 2 new defencemen will pair up with Pietrangelo and Cole. It sounds like they plan to have Pietrangelo in Peoria most or all of this season. I'll be disappointed if Pietrangelo is there for even one game.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:34 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
I don't like these public statements telling Peoria fans that these 2 new defencemen will pair up with Pietrangelo and Cole. It sounds like they plan to have Pietrangelo in Peoria most or all of this season. I'll be disappointed if Pietrangelo is there for even one game.
It is pretty strange that the Rivermen GM is acting as if Oystrick has just as good if not a better shot to crack the Blues line up than Pietrangelo. Cole being in the AHL is certainly a safe assumption to discuss, but seems to have all of the same qualities as Oystrick.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:55 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
It is pretty strange that the Rivermen GM is acting as if Oystrick has just as good if not a better shot to crack the Blues line up than Pietrangelo. Cole being in the AHL is certainly a safe assumption to discuss, but seems to have all of the same qualities as Oystrick.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. They were saying the same crap about Bell last year and he was out played by Junland and Strachan.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
EOM

Yeah, I don't think the Peoria GM knows for sure whether or not Pietrangelo and Cole will be playing the AHL. It won't be decided until training camp.

Closed Thread