HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2010, 12:50 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Sonne was never a top-6 prospect. Ever since he was drafted, he's projected as a potential future 3rd liner. Some were mislead into thinking he would be more after his 100 pt season in the Dub but that's the problem with stats - sometimes they're misleading. If you actually watched how he got those points, paid attention to his skills, and not just look at the stat sheet, the conclusion that one should've come away with was that he was a likely future 3rd liner. Many were disappointed with his rookie season in Peoria but it was pretty much exactly what I expected. I'm looking for a nice progression in Sonne's game this year. He still likely won't be a top AHL scorer (although he should score at a higher clip than last season) but more-so, I'm talking about the other aspects of his game - the parts that will actually get him in the NHL.

Old
08-01-2010, 07:00 AM
execwrite

I think Sonne built slowly in his junior career and then really peaked in his last year.

I expect he could be a very good third-line NHL player for the Blues after two more seasons in Peoria. He's definitely not on a fast track.

Old
08-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I think Sonne built slowly in his junior career and then really peaked in his last year.

I expect he could be a very good third-line NHL player for the Blues after two more seasons in Peoria. He's definitely not on a fast track.
This is a good assessment. Sonne is not gifted with great natural abilities. He has gotten where he is through hard work. He still needs to work on his skating, timing, positioning, and gain experience in how the game is played in the faster, quicker, harder-hitting pros. After he improves his AHL game and gets comfortable there. After 1.5-2 more AHL seasons, he will have to make a similar adjustment to the yet faster, quicker, harder-hitting NHL. He will probably score 18-22 goals, and get 20-25 assists this season for Peoria. But that won't mean he'll be ready for The NHL. He'll need to, at least, start the next season in The AHL. He may be ready for The NHL in the 2nd half of that season, or at the start of the season after that.

I see him scoring 20-25 goals and getting 25-30 assists in his peak 2-3 years in The NHL. He will be mostly a 15-20 goal, 17-25 assist, 2-way 3rd liner. He will NOT be a scoring machine. But, his combination of tenacious defence and forechecking, hard effort at all times, will make him a regular 3rd liner. He may get PK time as well, IF he can improve his skating and positioning.

I'll watch his progress at Peoria over the next few years. He may have a track similar to Drazenovic. But, I'm hoping he'll have more success after 3 years.

Old
08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
Curious if Blues fans think Brett Sonne is a legitimate top 6 forward prospect or is he more likely a 3rd line C with some offensive upside.
Sonne has the potential to be a great 3rd line center, but most likely he will be a good third line center, with a chance he will end up a fourth line center.

I think some Blues fans went overboard when they thought he had top six potential. There were a lot of band-wagoners after his 100pt season. But many failed to realize he had yet to score more than thirty points before that season.

On the flip side, many others dropped off that bandwagon when he had an underwhelming showing in Peoria last year. But if you followed his progression you would realize that it took Sonne a while to figure out the WHL. The same could be expected for his AHL time.

For those who only think he had one big year, lets take a look at his PPG progression....
Year GP Pts PPG
2005-2006 64 21 0.33
2006-2007 71 30 0.42
2007-2008 29 20 0.69
2008-2009 62 100 1.61

Although Sonne started out slow, he had a steady PPG progression.
I believe he would have had a better year in 2007-2008 had he been healthy, as he was coming on strong before the injury. If his PPG average held over the course of that year his total point tally could have been around 45-50 points. I think his PPG average would have increased over the course of the year and he would have been around 60 points.

Granted I am no expert and no one could possibly know what would have happened. But I think it is important to realize Sonne's past when making "accurate" (if they can be called that) projections.

As for my view on his career, I believe he will challenge for a roster spot in three years, with a handful of games in the NHL before that. Eventually, he will work his way up from the fourth line to become a third line center, though this may or may not be with the Blues. I would say his best offensive years include a few 40 point seasons. Really a lot of what happens with Sonne depends upon the development and composition of the Blues in the future.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 08-01-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old
08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
STL fan in IA

Blues sign Dave Scatchard and trade Fast for Graham Mink - LINK.

I like both moves. Both add a vet presence to a very young Rivermen team and both are valuable AHLers. I wouldn't be surprised if either got call-ups throughout the year either, especially Scatchard.

Old
08-04-2010, 05:14 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Blues sign Dave Scatchard and trade Fast for Graham Mink - LINK.

I like both moves. Both add a vet presence to a very young Rivermen team and both are valuable AHLers. I wouldn't be surprised if either got call-ups throughout the year either, especially Scatchard.
Creates more third/fourth line competition in St. Louis and veteran depth and leadership in Peoria.

The Blues are leading the league in excellent minor moves. Good job.

Old
08-04-2010, 09:03 AM
ChicagoBlues

Whew! I am finally liking how Peoria's roster is shaping up. I figured they would bring in some veterans, but am just glad they've gotten it done.

I've always liked Scatchard because he's a good all-around player. My main concern, however, is that he's played relatively little in the past few seasons.

Old
08-04-2010, 08:09 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Whew! I am finally liking how Peoria's roster is shaping up. I figured they would bring in some veterans, but am just glad they've gotten it done.

I've always liked Scatchard because he's a good all-around player. My main concern, however, is that he's played relatively little in the past few seasons.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that he's finally recovered from lingering concussion problems and he's now ready to go.

Old
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Blueshockey2*

Looks like their making some upgrades to the Carver Arena/Peoria Civic Center...New scoreboard going up...

Old
09-27-2010, 08:19 PM
execwrite

Rivermen preseason schedule

The Rivermen travel to Rockford to open their preseason schedule on Tuesday, Sept. 28 at 6:35 p.m. They will be on the road on Friday, Oct. 1, to face the Chicago Wolves at the Hoffman Estates Community Center and Ice Arena and host the IceHogs in their only home preseason tilt on Saturday, Oct. 2 at 7:05 p.m.

Old
09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openicehit6 View Post
Looks like their making some upgrades to the Carver Arena/Peoria Civic Center...New scoreboard going up...

Here's what the new one is rumored to look like: (straight from Daktronics)

Old
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Blueshockey2*

Old
09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

That scoreboard is a thing of beauty.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Kari Takko

Hey guys, I'm the brand new St. Louis Blues/Peoria Rivermen writer for Hockey's Future. I'm a Minnesota guy so naturally I'm a Wild fan. However, I'm doing my best to get up to speed with the Blues organization.

I just finished my season preview for the Peoria Rivermen, and I hope there aren't any glaring mistakes in the piece. It should be up in the next few days, so please enjoy.

Old
10-05-2010, 02:02 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Hey guys, I'm the brand new St. Louis Blues/Peoria Rivermen writer for Hockey's Future. I'm a Minnesota guy so naturally I'm a Wild fan. However, I'm doing my best to get up to speed with the Blues organization.

I just finished my season preview for the Peoria Rivermen, and I hope there aren't any glaring mistakes in the piece. It should be up in the next few days, so please enjoy.
Great to have a new writer! Welcome aboard. If you want any feedback on stuff, drop me a line. There are several very knowledgeable regulars on here that would probably also be willing to help out, proof, etc, if you ask.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Great to have a new writer! Welcome aboard. If you want any feedback on stuff, drop me a line. There are several very knowledgeable regulars on here that would probably also be willing to help out, proof, etc, if you ask.
I used to be the Blues writer here, and currently write for "St. Louis Game Time" on the prospects, so I'll be glad to help however I can. Feel free to drop me a line whenever.

Old
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Kari Takko

Thanks guys... I appreciate the well wishes and support. I might take you up on your offer with the next piece.

Old
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:

First of thanks for taking the role.

If you ever have questions or want to verify things, I am sure people here would be willing to help.

Old
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

I love proof reading (mainly because then I get to read the article first)! Feel free to ask me for anything. I'll try to help with whatever I can!

Old
10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Blueshockey2*

Anyone going to the Peoria opener Friday night?

I tried talking my fiance into going to Peoria Friday night for the opener and driving back to STL for the Blues opener, she shot down the idea .. Oh well, at least I'll be at the Blues opener Saturday

Old
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openicehit6 View Post
Anyone going to the Peoria opener Friday night?

I tried talking my fiance into going to Peoria Friday night for the opener and driving back to STL for the Blues opener, she shot down the idea .. Oh well, at least I'll be at the Blues opener Saturday
Won't be able to get off early enough on Friday to make it to Peoria for the opener, but I'm planning to go up on Sunday afternoon for the game with Milwaukee.

Old
10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Depending on how much my tickets cost for this Saturdays game, it's possible, but I doubt it.

I will have preview up for the Rivermen on BNZ tomorrow.

Old
10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
stlweir

Randall, looking forward to your write up. Looks like a good mix of young an old with a couple of veteran scorers to lead the way. Looking forward to the Bishop - Allen duo in goal, Cole and Cundari on D and McRae, Shattock and Sonne up front. Did I miss anyone?

Old
10-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Randall, looking forward to your write up. Looks like a good mix of young an old with a couple of veteran scorers to lead the way. Looking forward to the Bishop - Allen duo in goal, Cole and Cundari on D and McRae, Shattock and Sonne up front. Did I miss anyone?
How did you forget Dean Arsene, Dave Scatchard and Graham Mink?

Old
10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Breaking Down the 2010-11 St. Louis Blues : The Peoria Rivermen

Closed Thread