HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
From pjstar.com

The Peoria Rivermen finished third in the West Division on Sunday and drew the Houston Aeros as their opponent in the first round of the AHL playoffs.

The Rivermen face Houston in Game 1 of a best-of-7 series on Wednesday in Houston. Game 2 is Friday at Toyota Center. The next three games are in Peoria, on consecutive nights, April 18, 19 and 20.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
execwrite

from cleve's world

Aliu stays home

Rivermen right wing Akim Aliu did not make the trip to Houston with the team on Tuesday, and won’t play the first two games of the best-of-7 series against Houston.

Aliu was left behind for disciplinary reasons.

“It’s an unfortunate situation but we are dealing with an internal matter regarding Akim,” Rivermen general manager and Blues assistant GM and director of pro scouting Kevin McDonald said Tuesday. “We feel the action we are taking with him is appropriate.”

Deep …. sigh ….

DE
=======
This kid is unbelievable. He's throwing away a shot at the NHL. I think he's on loan from Atlanta - not Blues property?

Old
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
from [URL="http://blogs.pjstar.com
[I]This kid is unbelievable. He's throwing away a shot at the NHL. I think he's on loan from Atlanta - not Blues property?[/I]
Correct. He is on loan from Atlanta.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
Man, if Akim Aliu doesn't "get it" by now, he never will. What a waste of talent.

Glad he's not Blues property.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Dump him. We don't need his **** attitude influencing our youth. Obviously.

Old
04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
execwrite

Game #1 Rivermen at Houston April 13

And Cracknell scores at 1:16 of the first period!

(pregame injury update from Coach Bednar - Bishop could be ready Monday, Cole back to St. Louis to be evaluated)

Old
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Game #1 Rivermen at Houston April 13

And Cracknell scores at 1:16 of the first period!

(pregame injury update from Coach Bednar - Bishop could be ready Monday, Cole back to St. Louis to be evaluated)
What happened to Cole?

Old
04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
execwrite

Rivermen trail 2-1 in the second. Taking too many penalties and Allen is leaving big rebounds.

Old
04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Travelling Blue

Is there any valid reason for Mark Cundari being a healthy scratch again? Last year in the OHL he accumulated 19 points just in the playoffs and was considered the best all around defensman and he really delivered in a big way. This year, he has 30 points so far. Is it the age thing or is it just taking a back seat to the more veteran players? Anyone know. Thanks

Old
04-14-2011, 05:50 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Blue View Post
Is there any valid reason for Mark Cundari being a healthy scratch again? Last year in the OHL he accumulated 19 points just in the playoffs and was considered the best all around defensman and he really delivered in a big way. This year, he has 30 points so far. Is it the age thing or is it just taking a back seat to the more veteran players? Anyone know. Thanks
Good question and I have no answer.

I do remember reading earlier they were using him on the wing sometimes. Maybe an issue with his defensive play?

Old
04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
THEWEST

MY TAKE while keeping track as much as i could! at one point early in season, Blues had all of COLE,OYSTRICK,STRACHAN,NIKITIN up with them. Peoria was
put in a position to have to sign more older D's to fill void, Gannon and Peltier.
Cundari was only offensive minded rear guard Peoria had left.
To say the least, he was on fire. hitting, fighting, scoring and
on par for the AHL top rookie. As the first 4 player i mentioned
above were returned to Peoria, despite his success, Cundari
was forced to take a back seat. Looked like the coach was put
in a tough spot and did not want to upset the older Vet's. That is
how i saw it. It is a process, nothing more, nothing less. His time will come soon.
From what i hear in chatting with scouts and others in the know,
he not only has the attention of other teams, but the Blues appear
to be very happy with him and his versatility.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Any live streams for the game tonight???

Old
04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Any live streams for the game tonight???
Just radio and AHL Live...

We've got a game day thread going on HERE at "St. Louis Game Time," if anyone's interested...

Old
04-16-2011, 07:32 AM
hardware73

Quote:
Good question and I have no answer.

I do remember reading earlier they were using him on the wing sometimes. Maybe an issue with his defensive play?
He is on a roller coaster ride. I say put him back on D and let him loose pre January style. Down two games and nothing to lose. I did find an article yesterday that helps explain his current status and i have copied part of what Caoch jared is thinking:

However, the Rivermen will have a much different look, with defenseman Tyson Strachan injuring his shoulder in Game One. Strachan it out at least a month, and that’s a big blow to the Rivermen blue line. So the Rivermen may turn to Daryl Boyle to take Strachan’s spot, but they may also have to fill a hole up front with Stefan Della Rovere suffering an injury in Game One. His status is officially questionable for tonight (read: OUT), so I expect Mark Cundari to play up front. Cundari is a defenseman by trade, but has played forward this season. Jared Bednar, the Rivermen’s head coach, said Cundari has “high-end skill” so he may play with some scoring forwards, rather than just fill a 4th line role.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:51 AM
execwrite

The Rivermen have sent rookie center-winger Jay Barriball home, deciding to shut him down as he continues to recover from a leg injury.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Is Ian Cole not eligible to play in the AHL playoffs or is he hurt? Just wondering since I don't see his name in the box scores.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
frankielax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Is Ian Cole not eligible to play in the AHL playoffs or is he hurt? Just wondering since I don't see his name in the box scores.
Pretty sure he and McRae and Reaves are ineligible since they were on the NHL roster at the trade deadline.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post
Pretty sure he and McRae and Reaves are ineligible since they were on the NHL roster at the trade deadline.
Cole is eligible, and was on the Rivermen's Clear Day roster; he's hurt.

If the Rivermen don't find their game in the next 24 hours, it's not going to matter anyway.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Peoria has been swept by Houston, 4-0. Extremely disappointing.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

How sad is this?

I know that they had personnel issues with injuries and ineligibles, but to get swept is alarming.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
How sad is this?

I know that they had personnel issues with injuries and ineligibles, but to get swept is alarming.
And here it comes...

Both of this team's goaltenders were making their first-ever pro playoff appearances. Yes, even Ben Bishop, who watched from the bench in all seven games while Manny Legace played vs. Houston in 2009.

No less than twelve players on this playoff roster were rookies, second-year-pros, or otherwise making their first-ever AHL playoff appearances (see: Cracknell, Adam).

The only prospects on the roster with AHL playoff experience were Nick Drazenovic and T.J. Hensick.

The veterans (Mink, Oystrick, Strachan, Evans, Arsene) and the ECHL callups (Nesbitt, Gannon, Peltier, Aliu) were, for the most part, no-shows in this series. And since none of those players figure prominently, if at all, in the Blues' future plans, their playoff failure has little impact on the Blues going forward.

It's not "alarming" at all that this team wasn't able to overcome the odds in the playoffs, against what was the AHL's hottest team going into the playoffs. The Rivermen were, essentially, in playoff mode for the last two-three weeks of the regular season, where four losses in any seven-game stretch would have essentially put them out of the picture.

Considering all the callups, injuries, and inexperience this team had to forge through this season, it's a significant accomplishment on their part to have qualified for the playoffs, period.

Old
04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm a little worried the Blues are in for a similar baptism assuming they make the playoffs next season. I'm not sure how much that series vs the Canucks is going to factor into it.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
ChicagoBlues

Aaaaahhhhhhhhh

Old
04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm a little worried the Blues are in for a similar baptism assuming they make the playoffs next season. I'm not sure how much that series vs the Canucks is going to factor into it.
Why would you be worried? That's what happens when you go from not making the playoffs to making the playoffs. You almost always get bounced early, then come back better prepared.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
ChicagoBlues

What is alarming is not winning at least one game. When the Blues got swept a couple years ago that was also very alarming.

Closed Thread