HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 04:30 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
That sent the Rivermen into first place in the division and third overall in the Western Conference playoff race.

The Rivermen matched their season high with their fourth straight win, and jumped out to a 3-0-0 start to their five-game road trip. Their stay atop the Midwest Division standings could be short-lived, as they don’t play for the next five days, while rivals Chicago and Charlotte each play twice.

Last edited by execwrite: 03-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
execwrite

Word is out that Cracknell will sign for next year - two-way deal. Good news for Rivermen and Blues depth.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Word is out that Cracknell will sign for next year - two-way deal. Good news for Rivermen and Blues depth.
Great news! I really like Cracknell and what he brings to a lower line.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It should probably be made mention that Adam Cracknell was apparently re-signed today, but terms unknown. At least according to the main trade/free agents board he was.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
execwrite

Rivermen are tumbling out of the playoffs. Broke a five-game losing streak yesterday with a 1-0 shutout by loaned goalie Alex Stalock. Allen is still inconsistent.

I would guess that Hitch would like to be involved in hiring the Peoria coach next year.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
execwrite

Rivermen veteran ex-NHLer Jonathan Cheechoo, after he scored a big goal in Friday’s game at Rockford on a setup from rookie stay-home defenseman David Shields:

“Great pass by Shields. We need him to play like that. His defense continues to improve but he’s creating scoring chances for us, too.”

Old
04-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Baby Blues

I've liked Shields' game also. Much better moving the puck than I expected and outplaying his sometime partner, Ponich.

Ponich is still the invisible man to me...I just never notice him. He doesn't play physical other than after the whistle. Doesn't make huge mistakes either.

On the topic of d-men, Cundari was a pleasant surprise last season, but nothing has gone right for him this season. Thought it was just going to be a bad start, but he's not turned it around. Trying to do too much, bad turnovers etc.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:41 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I always kind of thought Shields was a diamond in the rough type of guy. Might not be anything special, but I think he could definitely make it to the big club.

Disappointing that Ponich isn't playing physical because that's probably why we drafted him in the 2nd.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

vCash: 50
I'm wondering if someone here can give me a little scouting report on a couple of your prospects - namely Della Rovere and Grachev. Does Della Rovere have enough grit to make up for his size and does Grachev have enough skill to be a top-6 guy in the NHL one day?

Old
04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
execwrite

from pjstar.com - (Stalock was injured in practice - out for year)

Peoria signed goaltender Jordon Binnington to an AHL tryout contract on Thursday night, and he'll join the team for its game Friday at Oklahoma City.

Binnington just finished his junior hockey season in the Ontario Hockey League. He'll sit behind Allen the rest of the season in the AHL, then return to junior hockey for his final season next fall.

Also -
Fairchild named to AHL All-Rookie team.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I'm wondering if someone here can give me a little scouting report on a couple of your prospects - namely Della Rovere and Grachev. Does Della Rovere have enough grit to make up for his size and does Grachev have enough skill to be a top-6 guy in the NHL one day?
From what I've seen of Grachev in the NHL, I'd say he does have potential to be a top-6 forward. He has decent skill to go along with his size. He seems to be a slow developer though; when the Blues had injuries earlier this year he got some time with the club but wasn't able to do a whole lot with it.

I haven't seen SDR play much.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

AHL 11-12 All-Rookie Team:

Forward: Gustav Nyquist (Wings 4th, 121 overall 2008)
Forward: Cory Conacher (undrafted, just signed with Tampa)
Forward: Tyler Johnson (undrafted, just signed with Tampa)
Defense: Cade Fairchild (Blues 4th, 96 overall 2007)
Defense: Matt Donovan (Isles 4th, 96 overall 2008)
Goalie: Eddie Pasquale (Jets 4th, 117 overall 2009)

Last edited by PocketNines: 04-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
The Zombonis

vCash: 295
Nice win for Peoria and Jake Allen last night, 3-1 in Oklahoma City. Still in the running in a wide open playoff race.

Old
04-13-2012, 09:17 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Looks like Peoria's done after tonight. Super tight race but they're virtually eliminated now.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Baby Blues

Disappointing end to the season. Not showing the will or passion to win when it really counted. Last home game...playoffs on the line...vs a struggling opponent...fan appreciation night...decent crowd...and then lay a 6-1 loss turd...and get booed off the ice.

I've provided my view of the prospects as the season went along. If interested in a final assessment of a player(s), let me know. Been following the game and prospects since '89 for what its worth.

Old
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Disappointing end to the season. Not showing the will or passion to win when it really counted. Last home game...playoffs on the line...vs a struggling opponent...fan appreciation night...decent crowd...and then lay a 6-1 loss turd...and get booed off the ice.

I've provided my view of the prospects as the season went along. If interested in a final assessment of a player(s), let me know. Been following the game and prospects since '89 for what its worth.
Which players in your opinion, have an NHL future, and what type of NHLer do you think they could be?

Old
04-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Which players in your opinion, have an NHL future, and what type of NHLer do you think they could be?
Don't have any real surprises here:

Allen - most likely to have an NHL career; performed well after Big Ben left

McRae - better hands than most would think, effective shot from the slot; typical problem though...perhaps not enough skill to crack top 6, but not a defensive stud to play bottom 6.

Fairchild - see him a Russell-type player; probably not much upside beyond that; good hockey-sense, vision etc. Will need that kind of intensity to make up for lack of size.

Cracknell - a true pro, can play any role at AHL-level; you've seen that he can be a reliable NHL 4th liner

SDR - not a good year overall, not seeing a role for him; due to his scrappy play, ends up injured alot; big heart though

Peluso - maybe better chance than others. Big, wins fights, and has improved # of big hits (Reaves-like). Skill-level could be good enough.

Ponich - still long way to go in development

Nigro - good improvement and hustle, maybe 4th line/PK player

Sonne - long shot, but his upside is a Nichol-type role

Cundari - high hopes, but awful season; needs to rebound are fall off the depth chart

Shields - one to keep an eye on, pleasant surprise so far, still a ways to go

Old
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
spd

I agree with Baby Blues' assessments.

SDR didn't seem like the same player this season. He didn't seem to play the agitator role that he's good at and perhaps the injuries are a part of that.

Allen picked things up after Bishop was traded. His record isn't that good, but he lost 6 or 7 games by a score of 2-1.

Peluso impressed me this season and showed some improvment. I can see him making the jump to the NHL as an enforcer. He doesn't lose many fights.

The last home game of the season was brutal. They seemed like a team that didn't want to play anymore this season. I didn't boo them, but they deserved the boos. For some reason, they never played well in front of a large crowd. There record was something like 2-7 with a crowd of 6,000 or more. The only good thing about missing the playoffs is saving money on tickets. I didn't see them making it past the first round.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
execwrite

Ponich could be a real key for the Blues if he can develop.

Needs to make a big leap forward next year in Peoria.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Shields has always kind of seemed like a diamond in the rough, so hopefully he continues to improve next season.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Peluso is a guy who I always thought could be a grinder/fighter in the NHL. He has a super powerful shot as well.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:16 PM
execwrite

Karpowich has signed a two-year, two-way deal with the Blues.

Apparently he's in St. Louis with the team now.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Baby Blues

Its time for the Rivermen report card. Grades provided by Dave Eminien of the PJ Star. I'll skip a few of the non-prospects.
http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1783...12-Report-Card

Allen: B+
Bishop: A+
Cheechoo: A
Cracknell: A
Cundari: C
Della Rovere: C+
Fairchild: A-
Grachev: C
Hensick: A-
McRae: B-
Nesbitt: B
Nigro: B-
Peluso: B-
Ponich: C+
Shattock: C+
Shields: C+
Sonne: B-
Sterling: B
Syvret: A-

IMO, pretty good grading overall. If I were to change any, it would be move Nigro & Shields up a bit. Thought they were most improved players. I might move some down a half grade to balance it. Can't have a bunch of A's and miss the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
ChicagoBlues

This grading is extra-generous. 13 As and Bs for a team that didn't make the playoffs?

Old
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
ATLhockey437

Hey guys, got a cool story to share with you.

I play in a mens league down here in ATL. Consists of mostly snowbirds who've played their whole life but theres a decent amount of former D-1/3 and ECHLers as well. It's alot of fun to play when every shift is a challenge and it has done wonders for my game as a defensemen.

Theres always this one team we play thats stacked (Eric Boulton would played with them this past summer). So as we're hitting the ice I see a guy on the other team I don't recognize. He's decked out in blues gear. Ask my buddy who it is, "thats Derrick Nesbitt, I think he put up like 60 pts in the A this year."

Im just like WTF? no way this is sick!

It was amazing to see someone play the game at his level in first person. Quickest and smoothest hands. Perfect passing. They had a short roster so I got to play against him for a lot of the game. As a dman, I would get so pumped anytime his line attacked my zone.

Obv he was holding back and he was still miles ahead of everyone on the ice (took no more than 5 shots the whole game).

He had the most ridiculous sacer pass I've ever seen. He sauced it from his hashmarks diagnolly across the ice to a cherrypicker on the other blueline tape to tape. The saucer pass was so high in the air that when my D partner jumped to catch it, all he got was air. Breakaway. Goal. Obv we lost in an 16-11 nail biter lol.

It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing in my life.

So how did he do this year? Does he have a good shot at making the blues next year? Just looking at stats, it seemed like he has taken his game to a new level in the past 3-4 years. I hope nothing but the best for him.

Last edited by ATLhockey437: 05-01-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Closed Thread