HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
That is so cool ATL! Sounds like a lot of fun. I wonder why Nesbitt was down in the ATL?

I'm one of the Rivermen fans on this board who has the convenience of getting to watch them play. The Chicago Wolves play close to O'Hare airport, which is straight across from us up on the north side where we live. It's very easy for me to see the Rivs play.

And you are correct, Nesbitt is a first-rate, career minor-league pro. Pure and simple. Good player, but I would expect him to move on to a new team. His contract with Peoria has expired.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Don't have any real surprises here:

Allen - most likely to have an NHL career; performed well after Big Ben left

McRae - better hands than most would think, effective shot from the slot; typical problem though...perhaps not enough skill to crack top 6, but not a defensive stud to play bottom 6.

Fairchild - see him a Russell-type player; probably not much upside beyond that; good hockey-sense, vision etc. Will need that kind of intensity to make up for lack of size.

Cracknell - a true pro, can play any role at AHL-level; you've seen that he can be a reliable NHL 4th liner

SDR - not a good year overall, not seeing a role for him; due to his scrappy play, ends up injured alot; big heart though

Peluso - maybe better chance than others. Big, wins fights, and has improved # of big hits (Reaves-like). Skill-level could be good enough.

Ponich - still long way to go in development

Nigro - good improvement and hustle, maybe 4th line/PK player

Sonne - long shot, but his upside is a Nichol-type role

Cundari - high hopes, but awful season; needs to rebound or fall off the depth chart

Shields - one to keep an eye on, pleasant surprise so far, still a ways to go

Well done, sir. I concur with all of these assessments.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Hey guys, got a cool story to share with you.

I play in a mens league down here in ATL. Consists of mostly snowbirds who've played their whole life but theres a decent amount of former D-1/3 and ECHLers as well. It's alot of fun to play when every shift is a challenge and it has done wonders for my game as a defensemen.

Theres always this one team we play thats stacked (Eric Boulton would played with them this past summer). So as we're hitting the ice I see a guy on the other team I don't recognize. He's decked out in blues gear. Ask my buddy who it is, "thats Derrick Nesbitt, I think he put up like 60 pts in the A this year."

Im just like WTF? no way this is sick!

It was amazing to see someone play the game at his level in first person. Quickest and smoothest hands. Perfect passing. They had a short roster so I got to play against him for a lot of the game. As a dman, I would get so pumped anytime his line attacked my zone.

Obv he was holding back and he was still miles ahead of everyone on the ice (took no more than 5 shots the whole game).

He had the most ridiculous sacer pass I've ever seen. He sauced it from his hashmarks diagnolly across the ice to a cherrypicker on the other blueline tape to tape. The saucer pass was so high in the air that when my D partner jumped to catch it, all he got was air. Breakaway. Goal. Obv we lost in an 16-11 nail biter lol.

It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing in my life.

So how did he do this year? Does he have a good shot at making the blues next year? Just looking at stats, it seemed like he has taken his game to a new level in the past 3-4 years. I hope nothing but the best for him.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. BTW Nesbitt was in Atlanta because he also plays for the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL based in Duluth, GA. I looked it up, and apparently he's played on and off with them since 2005. You should definitely go to some games sometime there if you live close enough.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
This grading is extra-generous. 13 As and Bs for a team that didn't make the playoffs?
13 A's and B's for a team that had six 20-goal scorers (more than any other team in the AHL), and was seventh overall on the power play and third overall on the penalty kill.

Unlike some previous years, this was a better team than several clubs that made the playoffs. The Rivermen didn't miss the playoffs because they sucked all year long; they missed the playoffs because they were inconsistent as all get-out. One night they'd look like a dominant force, and the next night they'd look like a good USHL club could hand them their fannies on a silver platter.

In the AHL era, no Peoria team has ever made the playoffs unless they reached the 40-win plateau.

This year's Rivermen won 39 games, and gave away a lot of points in the last month of the season that they realistically should have had.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
13 A's and B's for a team that had six 20-goal scorers (more than any other team in the AHL), and was seventh overall on the power play and third overall on the penalty kill.

Unlike some previous years, this was a better team than several clubs that made the playoffs. The Rivermen didn't miss the playoffs because they sucked all year long; they missed the playoffs because they were inconsistent as all get-out. One night they'd look like a dominant force, and the next night they'd look like a good USHL club could hand them their fannies on a silver platter.

In the AHL era, no Peoria team has ever made the playoffs unless they reached the 40-win plateau.

This year's Rivermen won 39 games, and gave away a lot of points in the last month of the season that they realistically should have had.
Six 20-goal scorers means nothing when you don't make the playoffs. There is a basic disconnect when the team does not make the playoffs yet pundits still grade most of the team as above average. It does not make any sense at all.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Six 20-goal scorers means nothing when you don't make the playoffs. There is a basic disconnect when the team does not make the playoffs yet pundits still grade most of the team as above average. It does not make any sense at all.
Only D's/F's in the past have been for players who quit the team. So think of it as C=could have been better; B=ok; A=very good.

I tend to grade vs expectation, so while Shields and Nigro are not top line guys, I'd still grade them well. I had high expectations for Cheechoo, Hensick, Syvret, so I'd be a bit tougher on them.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Only D's/F's in the past have been for players who quit the team. So think of it as C=could have been better; B=ok; A=very good.

I tend to grade vs expectation, so while Shields and Nigro are not top line guys, I'd still grade them well. I had high expectations for Cheechoo, Hensick, Syvret, so I'd be a bit tougher on them.
That's cool. Your opinion is valid.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
That's cool. Your opinion is valid.
And mine isn't?

Old
05-02-2012, 07:49 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
And mine isn't?
Don't be so touchy P_B.

If you question whether or not your opinion is valid, then maybe it isn't. You questioned it, not me.

But if you're asking, then I think that the grading is generous for a non-playoff team and that thinking otherwise is valid even in my disagreement.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:13 PM
ChicagoBlues

moved post

Old
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Baby Blues

Just saw a blurb on the local news that Nesbitt has been re-signed by the Rivs

Old
05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Just saw a blurb on the local news that Nesbitt has been re-signed by the Rivs
Well thats good news. I was hoping he would be back.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Well thats good news. I was hoping he would be back.
Link for Nesbitt signing:
http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x6399...tt-for-2012-13

"We were happy with his season and wanted to make sure we had enough scoring for next year, so we got him signed," St. Louis Blues assistant general manager, director of pro scouting and Rivermen GM Kevin McDonald said. "He has character, leadership, all the intangibles we look for and we just wanted to keep things going with him."

Rivs also re-sign Chris Bruton to a 1-year AHL deal. He is a Crombeen-type player for the Rivs.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:14 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
I know McRae was taken quite high in the 08 Draft early 2nd round ( along with Allen ) with the hope he would develop into a top 6 NHL forward. I presume we will know one way or the other soon enough or be part of a package as tradebait.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I know McRae was taken quite high in the 08 Draft early 2nd round ( along with Allen ) with the hope he would develop into a top 6 NHL forward. I presume we will know one way or the other soon enough or be part of a package as tradebait.
It would be a mistake to trade McRae. He's the perfect depth forward. What I find weird about him is that he is listed as a center and plays that position, but he seems better suited to play wing.

He was decent at faceoffs during his call up last season. This little nugget is from a STLToday article from late last season: "McRae assisted on one of Reaves' goals, and he has won nine of the 10 face-offs he has taken. That's a bonus for a club that ranks 25th in the NHL in face-off winning percentage (48.4 percent)."McRae has done a great job on face-offs and that line has played well," Payne said. "They've created some zone time, executed some structure, created some scoring chances, so we feel that (McRae) has done his job."

Digging up faceoff winning percentage for AHL players is difficult. I can't find it and it might be right in front of my face. Anyone know?

I think McRae should be moved to the left wing because he has not demonstrated the same playmaking ability that he had in juniors.

Old
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Harley83

I used to think Stefan Della Rovere had what it takes to make it at the pro-level with his call-up two seasons ago. I don't know what happened, he just didn't look that motivated the last time I went and watched the Rivermen.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
h22prelude93

Blues have fired Peoria Rivermen Head Coach Jared Bednar. Expect a replacement to be announced before the entry draft.

Link: http://www.pjstar.com/news/x72196033...fired-by-Blues

Old
06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
sdaltons

so Dave Allison, former coach of the Iowa Stars, has been hired to replace Bednar. not seeing anything on his resume that makes him a better fit than Bednar.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
so Dave Allison, former coach of the Iowa Stars, has been hired to replace Bednar. not seeing anything on his resume that makes him a better fit than Bednar.
Well that was quick. Head coach of Senators in 95-96'...Went 2-22-1 in 25 games coached. Yikes!

Old
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Certainly a confusing move. No doubt about that.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
spd

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted someone more like Hitchcock in Peoria. I'm not sure if Allison is that guy, but they definitely wanted to go in a different direction from Bednar. The players seemed shocked by the move.

I thought Bednar did a good job overall. He was the all star game coach for the western conference two years ago by having the best record in the conference. That team seemed poised for a solid playoff run until the Blues picked it apart due to callups for injuries or trading players for draft picks. Last season the Blues didn't help out by calling up players like Hensick and Cole towards the end of the season and sitting them in the press box for a month. Missing the playoffs and getting booed off the ice on fan appriciation night didn't help Bednar's cause.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Allison has most recently been scoutin for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and was one of their key NCAA scouts finding talent like Beau Bennett and such. He is good at identifying talent, developing it? We will have to see.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
Connection = Allison --> Iowa Stars --> Dallas Stars --> Doug Armstrong.

Allison actually still lives here in the Des Moines area and Is next door neighbors with a beer league friend of mine. I'll see of I can find out more. I've only met him twice but he seemed like a nice guy to me.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:43 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Well that was quick. Head coach of Senators in 95-96'...Went 2-22-1 in 25 games coached. Yikes!
Senators were terrible back then and stuck with a bust of a #1 overall pick in 1993 Daigle LOL

Old
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
ChicagoBlues

Rivermen Contract Status article

I don't even know where to start with the Rivs problems.

Closed Thread