HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Baby Blues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Rivermen Contract Status article

I don't even know where to start with the Rivs problems.
What's the concern? Seems to be in the normal situation of needing to sign a couple quality veterens if Cheechoo, Sterling, and Syvret don't come back. If Grachev decides to play elsewhere, that could add to the challenge.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
ChicagoBlues

The concern is that they are not very good. It would be nice if they made the playoffs consistently so that some of the Blues' prospects get post-season experience.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I'm curios who will back up Allen next season

Old
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I'm curios who will back up Allen next season
Should be Paul Karpowich.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
The concern is that they are not very good. It would be nice if they made the playoffs consistently so that some of the Blues' prospects get post-season experience.
That's a bit of a catch 22 as its the Blues' prospects that are not very good at the AHL level.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:37 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
That's a bit of a catch 22 as its the Blues' prospects that are not very good at the AHL level.
Yes, it is a bit of a catch 22, but the catch is released by having adequate talent signed to the farm team and a coach who can motivate the team for the long haul. But of course, the catch can catch when the big club has too many injuries.

This is all no-brainer stuff, but it is the stuff that Peoria has been missing for several seasons now.

It makes me curious, though, about the Tampa Bay Lightning. Their farm team, the Norfolk Admirals, just won the Calder Memorial Cup. I wonder what TB's injury situation was like this past season and if it mattered.?.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
ChicagoBlues

I just did a quick look at TB's injury situation last season.

They sustained at least 220+ man games lost and those injuries were spread across numerous players resulting in numerous call-ups. I did not drill down any further as I don't have the time.

The Blues sustained more man games lost than TB, however the injuries were spread across fewer players than TB resulting in longer IR time, but fewer call-ups.

That is NOT what I expected. I cannot reject my null hypothesis.

What I expected is that TB sustained far fewer injuries resulting in fewer call-ups, thereby creating "team" and a sense of continuity in Norfolk.

There's much more to all of this and this is far from a full analysis, but it is something to consider.

When I have the time I will compare the AHL rosters.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
stlweir

With Beach joining Peluso and Ponich, Peoria will have some big, bad boys next season.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
sdaltons

any updates on Nill, Tardy, Erstad, or Gardiner?

i'm sure i'm missing something, but it looks to me like Nill has his 4 NCAA years in, so shouldn't we hear something about him signing or not signing soon?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
stlweir

What has Nill done in college that would warrent a contract offer?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
any updates on Nill, Tardy, Erstad, or Gardiner?

i'm sure i'm missing something, but it looks to me like Nill has his 4 NCAA years in, so shouldn't we hear something about him signing or not signing soon?
I don't see NHL futures for any of those guys. In 4 college seasons, Nill didn't even put up 10 pts once. I don't see why the Blues would sign him.

Tardy's about at the same level.

Erstad's a forward who put up 0 goals and 5 assists for Div. III WIisconsin-Stevens Point last season.

Gardner has the best shot still out of the 4 but I still seriously doubt he'll develop into an NHLer. He was rushed to U of Minn, demoted himself to the USHL this past season, only looked average at best there and will play this upcoming season for Penn St...which will be their first season as a NCAA Div. I program so I expect them to struggle mightily.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I don't see NHL futures for any of those guys. In 4 college seasons, Nill didn't even put up 10 pts once. I don't see why the Blues would sign him.

Tardy's about at the same level.

Erstad's a forward who put up 0 goals and 5 assists for Div. III WIisconsin-Stevens Point last season.

Gardner has the best shot still out of the 4 but I still seriously doubt he'll develop into an NHLer. He was rushed to U of Minn, demoted himself to the USHL this past season, only looked average at best there and will play this upcoming season for Penn St...which will be their first season as a NCAA Div. I program so I expect them to struggle mightily.
cool. thanks for the updates.

i'm not necessarily saying any one of them deserve a contract, but normally we hear about players NOT signing, such as Beukeboom and McCauley, as well. just figured we had hit that point with Nill, at least.

and for the record, i do still have my fingers crossed on Gardiner. mostly because if he doesn't work out, it gives me a bad feeling about Kurker and MacEachern (for no logical reason).

Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
cool. thanks for the updates.

i'm not necessarily saying any one of them deserve a contract, but normally we hear about players NOT signing, such as Beukeboom and McCauley, as well. just figured we had hit that point with Nill, at least.

and for the record, i do still have my fingers crossed on Gardiner. mostly because if he doesn't work out, it gives me a bad feeling about Kurker and MacEachern (for no logical reason).
The Blues technically have until Aug 15 to sign Nill before he becomes a UFA but I don't see why they would.

IMO, MacEachern is doing the right thing by playing a year in the USHL before going to college hockey unlike Gardiner who went directly to U of Minn and was overwhelmed. Kurker's going directly to college hockey but he's already very physically developed and isnt as raw as MacEachern is or Gardiner was so I have less concern about him being overwhelmed like Gardiner was.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Baby Blues

So for new prospects in Peoria it looks like:

Beach, Karpowich, maybe Wannstrom, maybe Schwartz

Anybody else?

Old
06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
The Blues technically have until Aug 15 to sign Nill before he becomes a UFA but I don't see why they would.

IMO, MacEachern is doing the right thing by playing a year in the USHL before going to college hockey unlike Gardiner who went directly to U of Minn and was overwhelmed. Kurker's going directly to college hockey but he's already very physically developed and isnt as raw as MacEachern is or Gardiner was so I have less concern about him being overwhelmed like Gardiner was.
Id rather see McEachern go to the CHL, top talent, but he wouldnt be 2-4 years younger than the majority of players.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Id rather see McEachern go to the CHL, top talent, but he wouldnt be 2-4 years younger than the majority of players.
I'd be fine with that too. He's very raw though and will likely take a while to develop either way so I'm also fine with him going the college route and him taking 3-4 years before turning pro.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I'd be fine with that too. He's very raw though and will likely take a while to develop either way so I'm also fine with him going the college route and him taking 3-4 years before turning pro.
I'd guess it's a toss-up between one year in The CHL or USHL before attending MSU. In The USHL he'd probably get more playing time to work on his game. In The CHL he might play against tougher competetion, but would get less playing time. I don't think it will matter too much. It's more important how much desire he has to improve his game, how much he listens to his coaches and mentors, and how much hard work he puts in to those ends. He can do those things in either league, and he must do as much as possible while with MSU as well. It seems to me (based on what I saw of him, his interviews and what was written about him) that he is a winner-type. I have a lot of faith that he is a lot like Backes, and that he'll make himself into a good player, and, eventually reach The NHL. I hope I've guessed right.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd guess it's a toss-up between one year in The CHL or USHL before attending MSU. In The USHL he'd probably get more playing time to work on his game. In The CHL he might play against tougher competetion, but would get less playing time. I don't think it will matter too much. It's more important how much desire he has to improve his game, how much he listens to his coaches and mentors, and how much hard work he puts in to those ends. He can do those things in either league, and he must do as much as possible while with MSU as well. It seems to me (based on what I saw of him, his interviews and what was written about him) that he is a winner-type. I have a lot of faith that he is a lot like Backes, and that he'll make himself into a good player, and, eventually reach The NHL. I hope I've guessed right.
If he goes to the CHL (any of the three major junior leagues), he would have to sit a year before he would be eligible to play in the NCAA. That's why so many guys do a year or two of prep in the USHL before going off to college; they can play a more challenging schedule, with almost as many games and as much travel as either the OHL or QMJHL (no one has as much travel as the 'Dub), and have no worries about losing college eligibility.

Old
06-26-2012, 11:10 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If he goes to the CHL (any of the three major junior leagues), he would have to sit a year before he would be eligible to play in the NCAA. That's why so many guys do a year or two of prep in the USHL before going off to college; they can play a more challenging schedule, with almost as many games and as much travel as either the OHL or QMJHL (no one has as much travel as the 'Dub), and have no worries about losing college eligibility.
I wasn't exactly sure why but you have clarified it. USHL is almost always the route players take to the NCAA. Like Schwartz for example.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
ChicagoBlues

It's cool that Peoria is getting a couple European Blues prospects to work with.

The Norfolk Admirals, who just won the Calder and were affiliated with TB, had a roster that included at least seven drafted players. Three or four of them are European.

The Rivs had only one European player (Grachev) and he wasn't drafted by the Blues. In all Peoria had at least nine players drafted by the Blues.

Maybe the Lightning prospects on the Admirals team last season were just of a higher quality. NOTE: The Norfolk Admirals are now affiliated with the Anaheim Ducks.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:48 AM
execwrite

Quote:
It's cool that Peoria is getting a couple European Blues prospects to work with.

The Norfolk Admirals, who just won the Calder and were affiliated with TB, had a roster that included at least seven drafted players. Three or four of them are European.

The Rivs had only one European player (Grachev) and he wasn't drafted by the Blues. In all Peoria had at least nine players drafted by the Blues.

Maybe the Lightning prospects on the Admirals team last season were just of a higher quality. NOTE: The Norfolk Admirals are now affiliated with the Anaheim Ducks.
Wannstrom and ???

Old
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
ChicagoBlues

Is it only Wannstrom? Jaskin's not yet 20, so he can't play in the AHL and is going to QMJHL anyway.

Okay, then. Peoria is getting one European player. It is a start. This is not to say that it will be European players who will bring success to the Rivermen, but to say that I want to see some European talent on the team.

What I find interesting about the Admirals is that at least three European prospects drafted by Tampa Bay played one or more seasons in North American juniors (QMJHL, OHL, WHL) and went on to play for Norfolk. And none of them are rated by HF no higher than 7.5 C.

If I am not mistaken, then Jaskin will be the first Blues European prospect to join the QMJHL.

Of note, Grachev came to North American juniors and then moved up to the AHL.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 06-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 10:49 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
McEachern's path is fine. He's extremely raw and needs to bulk up his frame and USHLers having all week to weight train with most games only on Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday.

Chicago (USHL) plays in a Conference with traditionally some of the better talent with the teams like Indiana, Green Bay, and the NTDP.

He'll be playing against high caliber competition while learning how to take care of his body.

Then he goes to the Big 10 at MSU in 2013-14 which should be awesome for him in that league's first year of existence.

He's a project that will take a long time to develop and the college route is perfect for him.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Is it only Wannstrom? Jaskin's not yet 20, so he can't play in the AHL and is going to QMJHL anyway.

Okay, then. Peoria is getting one European player. It is a start. This is not to say that it will be European players who will bring success to the Rivermen, but to say that I want to see some European talent on the team.

What I find interesting about the Admirals is that at least three European prospects drafted by Tampa Bay played one or more seasons in North American juniors (QMJHL, OHL, WHL) and went on to play for Norfolk. And none of them are rated by HF no higher than 7.5 C.

If I am not mistaken, then Jaskin will be the first Blues European prospect to join the QMJHL.

Of note, Grachev came to North American juniors and then moved up to the AHL.
Jaskin would be eligible to play in the AHL now as the under 20 rule only pertains to kids drafted out of Canadian Major Jrs. It doesn't really matter though as he's clearly heading to the Q.

I'm not sure how far back you're going but there have been other Blues Euro prospects who gave come to the Q. It's been nearly 10 yrs but Shkotov and Zakharov both played in the Q. Guys like Schwarz, Birner, etc. have come over to play in either the OHL or WHL as well.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Jaskin would be eligible to play in the AHL now as the under 20 rule only pertains to kids drafted out of Canadian Major Jrs. It doesn't really matter though as he's clearly heading to the Q.

I'm not sure how far back you're going but there have been other Blues Euro prospects who gave come to the Q. It's been nearly 10 yrs but Shkotov and Zakharov both played in the Q. Guys like Schwarz, Birner, etc. have come over to play in either the OHL or WHL as well.
Correctomundo!, as Arthur Fonzarelli would say.

I forgot about those guys and was just going from memory and did not actually dig for Blues prospects who came up through North American systems. Thanks. Probably others.

Closed Thread