HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Wow, Nill didn't even pass his physical? That has to be the shortest pro career I've ever heard of! Did he fail it because something was structurally wrong with a joint or something or something more his fault like showing up way out if shape? He had a snowball's chance in hell of making the team but I still feel bad for the kid. I assume he hasn't been picked up by anybody else?

Old
10-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Baby Blues

Rivs have named Scott Ford as captain for the upcoming season. Cracknell and Chorney will have the "A"s.

Interesting that Cracknell didn't keep the "C" but I'm sure he will continue to lead. Ford was captain in Milwaukee last season.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:31 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Rivs have named Scott Ford as captain for the upcoming season. Cracknell and Chorney will have the "A"s.

Interesting that Cracknell didn't keep the "C" but I'm sure he will continue to lead. Ford was captain in Milwaukee last season.
I also found it interesting that Cracknell didn't keep the C but then again, I've paid very little attention to the Rivs in recent years and know very little about Ford so maybe it's less surprising than I'm thinking.

Old
10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Congrats to Scott Ford product of my hometown Fort St.John,BC for being named captain of the Rivermen

Old
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Baby Blues

Several new articles on the Rivs in today's Peoria Journal Star or go to pjstar.com.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Baby Blues

Season kicks off tonight for the Rivs against Abbotsford Heat (Flames).

Players to watch: Schwartz in his AHL premier for Peoria and Sven Baertschi for the Flames

Rivs projected line-up per Dave Eminian:

Murray - Hensick - Nesbitt: veteren 1st line
Schwartz - McRae - Barriball: lots of speed/skill, but defense?
Grachev - Cracknell - Peluso: brings size and experience
Andronov - Bruton - Wannstrom: new guys getting used to NA ice

The D pairings make no sense to me, but here's what's listed; not sure which pair is #1 vs #3

Cole - Ponich: #1D & #6D together??
Fairchild - Ford
Chorney - Regner
Cundari - Shields: guessing that Cundari will dress as he can also play forward if needed

Jake Allen will start tonight; McKenna to start Sat. night also in Abbotsford.

Puck drops at 9pm Central Time

IR: SDR and Nigro
Scratch: Shields?

Last edited by Baby Blues: 10-12-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: correction
Old
10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Is it going to be online/on tv?

And I have a theory they are trying to stress cole out with responsibility, but I'm paranoid and have no real idea

Old
10-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Season kicks off tonight for the Rivs against Abbotsford Heat (Flames).

Players to watch: Schwartz in his AHL premier for Peoria and Sven Baertschi for the Flames

Rivs projected line-up per Dave Eminian:

Murray - Hensick - Nesbitt: veteren 1st line
Schwartz - McRae - Barriball: lots of speed/skill, but defense?
Grachev - Cracknell - Peluso: brings size and experience
Andronov - Bruton - Wannstrom: new guys getting used to NA ice

The D pairings make no sense to me, but here's what's listed; not sure which pair is #1 vs #3

Cole - Ponich: #1D & #6D together??
Fairchild - Ford
Chorney - Regner
Cundari - Shields: guessing that Cundari will dress as he can also play forward if needed

Jake Allen will start tonight; McKenna to start Sat. night also in Abbotsford.

Puck drops at 9pm Central Time

IR: SDR and Nigro
Scratch: Shields?
Fairchild/Ford is #1 pairing. I imagine that Cole/Ponich would be #2, and Chorney/Regner #3. But the last 2 pairings will probably get similar ice time.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:57 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
I only watched about 10 minutes in the second period and the Rivs gave up 3 goals so I turned it off lol. They looked horrendous in that stretch.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:54 AM
stlweir

Took it on the chin last night losing 6-2. Peluso scored his 2nd goal in 2 games. Interesting to see how he performs after his extensive off season workout program. He is a big son of a gun.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Baby Blues

Rivs are on the road again tonight and take on the Chi. Wolves (Vancouver).

Concerns:
- 0-2 record thus far
- Wolves are 2-0
- Rivs historical poor record against the Wolves
- Really poor record against the Wolves on the road
- Jake is rank last amoungst goalies
- Hensick doesn't even have a shot yet
- 3 players already sporting a -4 rating
- PP & PK not looking good

Positives:
- uuhhhhh....Peluso

Old
10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Scott Ford is brutal. He's like a less talented Hal Gill.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
The only reason we're in this game (tied 1-1) is Jake Allen. The defense routinely gives up golden chances, which is really confusing, since I thought our defense was supposed to be pretty solid.

Also, Andronov is surprisingly good.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Scott Ford is brutal. He's like a less talented Hal Gill.
I thought they signed Scott Ford (a career AHLer) to help solidify the defence, to provide a decent anchor to help the rookie and young prospects. If he's worse than the NHL prospects, they made a bad mistake.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Baby Blues

My post from the other forum:

Peoria vs Rockford: Oct. 19

A good win for the Rivs.

Jake was shaky early as he turned over the puck that led to the Rockford goal and then was fighting the puck a bit. He got it going mid-way through the first and was solid after that.

Schwartz was the best player on the ice. A goal and assist for #1 star for the night. Hensick with a goal and assist for #2 star and Jake was #3 star.

Best game I've seen Cole play in awhile. Solid clean hit and then a fight to back it up. Aggressive at both ends of the ice. Chorney was solid also.

Andronov and Wannstrom were fine. No real scoring chances but good game overall.

As mentioned, line combos were changing all the time. Due to injuries, Rivs went with 10 forwards and 8 Dman with Cundari filling in at wing for a few shifts.

Scratches for the Rivs were: McRae(?), Nigro(head), SDR(knee), and Barriball(leg)

For Rockford, Hutton (G) should have been a star of the game as he had some point blank saves especially when Rivs were on the PP. Leddy looked very good perhaps as expected. Olsen and Clendening were both pretty bad all game. Olsen was bad in the pre-season game too.

Video highlights at pjstar.com

Old
10-19-2012, 11:41 PM
STL fan in IA

I saw that McRae was listed as a late injury scratch on twitter. Didn't sound serious.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I saw that McRae was listed as a late injury scratch on twitter. Didn't sound serious.
Back injury. Headed to STL for tests.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Back injury. Headed to STL for tests.

Hoping for good news on that. Sonne may be back in Peoria quicker than expected.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:20 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Hoping for good news on that. Sonne may be back in Peoria quicker than expected.
Yeah, I was a little surprised to hear that they player with 10 forwards and 8 D last night. Time to get at least one of Sonne, Shattock or Beach up from Evansville IMO.

Baby Blues, any idea why they've had 8 d-men on the roster the whole season thus far? I'd think one of Cundari or Shields would be better served getting top minutes in Evansville than being a healthy scratch most nights in Peoria.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
How do you guys feel about Jake Allen's progression so far. Yes I understand he is still young and a goalie. But after last season and this season's horrendous start, it's not looking good.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
How do you guys feel about Jake Allen's progression so far. Yes I understand he is still young and a goalie. But after last season and this season's horrendous start, it's not looking good.
It's too early in his career to really know anything. It takes a LONG time to work on technique, and there can be a LOT of mental ups and downs along that road. He has the physical attributes and natural skills, and he has shown some decent skill-learning ability. He has a lot of time to solidify his mental aspect of his overall game.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yeah, I was a little surprised to hear that they player with 10 forwards and 8 D last night. Time to get at least one of Sonne, Shattock or Beach up from Evansville IMO.

Baby Blues, any idea why they've had 8 d-men on the roster the whole season thus far? I'd think one of Cundari or Shields would be better served getting top minutes in Evansville than being a healthy scratch most nights in Peoria.
Not sure on the Dmen. I know the new Blues brass likes Cundari and willing to give him another long look. He also brings the ability to play forward. I'd say Shields would go to Evansville first. He seemed to have the toughest time with the game speed against Rockford.

I would think that Sonne would be coming back if McRae is going to miss any more time as Rivs would need a center badly.

Regarding Jake, he opened with 2 bad games, but has been a star of the game for the last 2, so its not a big concern yet.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Not too worried, he followed a slow start last season with a strong finish. Not enough games this year to really judge him yet, but him starting the majority of games for Peoria this year will be very good for his development. Goalies take a long time, but it is a bit unnerving that he is our #3 goalie if Jaro or Elliott goes down.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Not sure on the Dmen. I know the new Blues brass likes Cundari and willing to give him another long look. He also brings the ability to play forward. I'd say Shields would go to Evansville first. He seemed to have the toughest time with the game speed against Rockford.

I would think that Sonne would be coming back if McRae is going to miss any more time as Rivs would need a center badly.

Regarding Jake, he opened with 2 bad games, but has been a star of the game for the last 2, so its not a big concern yet.
My observations and knowledge of the Blues' prospects lead me to concur with all of the above statements. I was mildly surprised when Shields wasn't assigned to Evansville right from the get-go.

Sonne has four points (2 G, 2 A) in three games for Evansville thus far, and would probably come back to Peoria with a fire lit under his @$$ should he get the call.

I was riding Jake The Snake pretty hard here, and at "Game Time," but no one is happier than me to see him figure it out and start playing like he's capable of.

Karpowich had a rough start in Evansville, but played well in their last game (a 4-3 SOL to Fort Wayne), and he is a mentally tough player after having carried the Clarkson program on his back for the last four seasons.

If Allen continues to progress, Karpowich makes the adjustment to the pro game, and Jordan Binnington and Niklas Lundstrom continue to play well in the OHL and Elitserien (respectively), the Blues' organizational goaltending future looks to be in pretty good shape.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Candyman

Not sure how much you guys are interested but i was finally able to make it to an Icemen game against the Trenton Titans last weekend and watched Tyler Shattock play. Maybe it was just one good game but i really liked his presence on this ice, he of course scored a goal in the 2nd period (which at the other end of the ice as me so i didn't get to see that well) but his presence on the ice was nice, he was physical and didn't seem to be out of position a lot. I realize it's only the echl but i really like what this guy brings.

Closed Thread