HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Which team has the scariest offensive capacity in the league?

View Poll Results: Who's the scariest offensive team in the league?
Pens 29 16.86%
Sharks 52 30.23%
Wings 46 26.74%
Bruins 3 1.74%
Caps 26 15.12%
Other(specify) 16 9.30%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Penguins are a two man offense. If you think Sykora and Satan are top end forwards, you are sadly mistaken. They are products of having two of the top players in the world on their team.

My vote goes to the Sharks. Not only are they stacked at forward, but they have guys like Blake, Boyle, Vlasic, and Erhoff moving it from the back end.

As a Flyers fan, I'd have to say they have one of the best groups of forwards in the league, but besides Timonen theres a huge gaping hole in terms of back end production.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Bruins deserve more love here, especially if you start talking upside because most of our key players (minus Savard and Ryder) are young and promise to play better in 2 years than they're playing right now.. Ahh well, there's time.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
All those players you mentioned = 164 points

crosby + malkin = 90 ... more than half of your 12 best players added together, thats probably why montreal isnt in this poll
Yea but the problem is that the Habs are underachieving at the moment.

The PP is 27th in the league, Kovy has not score in 18 games, Latendresse and S Kost are dangerously underperforming, Higgins has been injured twice, Plekanec is not even the shadow of the player he was last year, A Kost had a major slump of at least 15 games after his concussion.

It amazing how many problems the Habs had. And now Koivu is injured too.

I think that the Habs can still be a offensive powerhouse but as we speak, they are not.

The main two reasons why the Habs have the third best record in the east is our defensive unit (minus O'Byrne) and Carey Price who has been amazing so far this year.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
salty justice

In terms of the actual number of offensive weapons a team has, Detroit and Boston are at the top for me.

The scary part about the Bruins is how young their team is.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Luigi Lemieux

pens have 97 goals and gonchar/whitney have not played a single game. that's 110-130 points and 50+ min/game missing from the blueline.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Pens are still a team of two players. If even one of them misses an extended period of time, I guarantee their GF gets cut in half. That is not the making of the most offensive team in the league.

Sharks are basically still being driven by Thornton (just ask Devin "The new Cheechoo" Setoguchi).

Wings are have more even scoring, but they still have their "haves" (ie. Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom and Franzen) and their terrible "havenots" (ie. Filpulla, Hudler, Cleary, Maltby, etc).

Caps have Ovechkin and an overachieving Semin.

My guesses are going to be off the board, mainly being in terms of scoring by committee.

1) Canucks
2) Canadiens
3) Flyers
4) Oilers
5) Maple Leafs
You pick a team that is 14th out of 15 teams in the conferance in goals scored as the 4th scariest offence? They don't have a single player in double digets for goals scored. They aren't in the top 20 let alone the top 5.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 01:03 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Kind of like last year right?
Crosby was on a roll last year before he got injured.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 03:06 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Pens are still a team of two players. If even one of them misses an extended period of time, I guarantee their GF gets cut in half. That is not the making of the most offensive team in the league.

Sharks are basically still being driven by Thornton (just ask Devin "The new Cheechoo" Setoguchi).

Wings are have more even scoring, but they still have their "haves" (ie. Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom and Franzen) and their terrible "havenots" (ie. Filpulla, Hudler, Cleary, Maltby, etc).

My guesses are going to be off the board, mainly being in terms of scoring by committee.

1) Canucks
2) Canadiens
3) Flyers
4) Oilers
5) Maple Leafs
Umm....fail?

Sharks leaders 08-09
Thornton- 32 points (on pace for 93)
Marleau-31 points (on pace for 90)
Setoguchi-31 points (on pace for 90)
Boyle-24 points (on pace for for 72)
Clowe-23 points (on pace for 68)
Pavelski-23 points (on pace for 68)
Blake-21 points (on pace for 61)
Michalek-18 point (on pace for 52)
Vlasic-18 points (on pace for 52)
Ehrhoff-16 points (on pace for 46)
Grier-11 (on pace for 35)
Cheechoo-8 (on pace for 34-but will likely go on his mid season tear)
Goc-5 (on pace for 20)

Top 4 D expected total=231 (should go down)
Top 9 F expected total=550 (granted this will almost certainly go down)

Compared with Sharks leaders 07-08
Thornton-96
Campbell-55
Michalek-55
Marleau-48
Pavelski-40
Cheeechoo-37
Rivet-35
Roenick-33
Grier-22
Ehrhoff-22
Mitchell-20
Rissmiller
Carle-15
Vlasic-14

Top 4 D total=106 (including ~40 from Campbell while on Buffalo)
Top 9 forward=368

So Thornton is on pace to have less points, the Sharks D looks to be increasing their points by over 100. And the forwards are magically getting nearly 200 more points off the back of Thornton, even though his points are going down?

Get a clue. It amazes me when people say things when they really have no idea. Do some research or even better, watch a game.

To be fair these totals are likely to go down, but by what, 10%? Even so the Sharks will put up at least an extra 200 points over last years team.

As a side note, Setoguchi has been excellent. Are his totals inflated by playing with the teams two best forwards, and guys who are top 3 (or top 15 in Marleau's case) at there positions? Absolutely, but to think he is leeching off Thornton is ridiculous. I would say Marleau has been in on more of Setoguchi's points than Thornton has.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Luongo2008*

Sharks

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

I voted for the Wings, but I'm not sure why the Pens are being bashed for being a "two man team" on offense.

Firstly, if those two can tear teams apart on separate lines by making their linemates better - which they obviously can - what does it matter?

Second, how many other teams have a 3rd line center with production like Staal, or when healthy, a defense corps that can boast productive blueliners like Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, and Goligoski?

Depth at forward is important, but so are elite, game-breaking superstars, formidable 3rd line centers, and an uncommonly mobile and gifted set of offensive defensemen.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Bonzai

I don't really see how the Caps are so low if we're talking strictly potential. They're absolutely stacked.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Please.... its the Wings.
They've absolutely sucked by their standards and apparently forgot to play D. Yet they're still second in the NHL, and they're just stacked with players who not only produce numbers now, but have been for more than a little while, not least in the playoffs.

We haven't even seen what the Wings can do yet this season. I still have them as a goal tending meltdown away from a repeat cup.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Zim

I'm confused why Chicago aren't in this poll considering they are 2nd in the league currently in goals scored.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
PACaptain

1. Detroit Red Wings
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Boston Bruins (though I wonder if they will keep this production up all year)

PACaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I'm confused why Chicago aren't in this poll considering they are 2nd in the league currently in goals scored.
Tell me about it. I'd also suspect that they're at the top of the league in 5+ goal games although I can't seem to find that stat anywhere.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:

1) Canucks
2) Canadiens
3) Flyers
4) Oilers
5) Maple Leafs
This is perhaps the worst list that I've seen in any thread, by any poster.

To you, the Oilers have a better offense than the Sharks, Pens, Caps, Blackhawks and Red Wings. I seriously hope that this was some lame attempt at humor.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

A quick look would reveal that 5 teams have 100 or more goals:

Sharks
Bruins
Red Wings
Flyers
Penguins

The Flyers are missing Briere and the Penguins are without Gonchar, so I would say it's a pretty accurate depiction.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Yea the second I clicked on this I expected to see the Flyers as one of the options and I wouldve voted for them right away. Not because Im a homer, but because not only do they produce on even strength and the PP, but they are equally as dangerous on the PK.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Gozer

I think it's quite clear that it's the Sharks and Red wings at the top followed by 2-3 other teams.

Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote