HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Toughness?

Old
12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Team Toughness?

I'm not starting an overreaction thread, I'm just questioning out team toughness. Im not jumping ship because we lost to Tampa, but I'm just seriously concerned with the way we play. When our goalie gets hit by Steve ****ing Downie, there shouldn't even be a hesitation, there should be gloves dropping and him having to pay for it. I hate seeing our player get hit, and we continue playing as if nothing happened. Sticking up for eachother builds team chemistry, it builds stronger friendships; its good for the team. If we need to trade some softer players to pick up some grittier skilled players and make room for Patches, I think our team could be much better. Anyways, flame away if you think Im completely off-base, but I personally think it would be a good for this team.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I agree. You can't expect them to win a playoff series by playing the ***** hockey they have been playing. It's making me nervous.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

We're looking soft in regular season, I can't even imagine playoff hockey.

Old
12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Hab-a-maniac

We get beat by teams due to their abilities to take it to us physically. The only pure skill team we'd struggle to beat in a series would be Pittsburgh. More crash-and-bang teams like Philly, New Jersey, Boston and even Toronto can outwork us. Bob needs to re-model our style. There are far too many cream puffs for a team with cup dreams.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
I'm not starting an overreaction thread, I'm just questioning out team toughness. Im not jumping ship because we lost to Tampa, but I'm just seriously concerned with the way we play. When our goalie gets hit by Steve ****ing Downie, there shouldn't even be a hesitation, there should be gloves dropping and him having to pay for it. I hate seeing our player get hit, and we continue playing as if nothing happened. Sticking up for eachother builds team chemistry, it builds stronger friendships; its good for the team. If we need to trade some softer players to pick up some grittier skilled players and make room for Patches, I think our team could be much better. Anyways, flame away if you think Im completely off-base, but I personally think it would be a good for this team.
Team toughness is something habs team haven't had for years. You need the players for this to work and we just don't have them. One of the few players who fit the bill was Sheldon Souray, I liked him a lot for that, sticking up for his teammates, but he had the tools for.
And anyway, you need more than a few players to have team toughness.

On this team, there are probably only Bouillon, Begin and Kosto that stick for their teammates by fighting, but I highly doubt they scare anyone. And you need some of your top players to play this game, since they are the ones the most on the ice.

(I don't think Laraque fit in team toughness, he won't jump a player who makes a dirty play and start punching him unless it's a heavy weight, which pisses me off )

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

The Habs have no team toughness at all.

They have real great talented players. A good pair of goalies but no mean streak at all. Tonight, habs players should have dropped the gloves at least 5 times against the TB players who rushed our goalie. Montreal should consider themselves lucky to have that much offensive talent and start to realize that you must protect their players from injuries with a more intimidating attitude. That will only make them win more games. I'm tired of their sissy passive attitude.

When people say ''But look at Detroit, bla bla bla..'' We are not Detroit, we dont have any Datsyuk, Holmstom, Lidstrom, etc... We have ALL the tools to be way more threatening and intimidating and we should do it. Look at Boston, Philadelphia and, sooner than lather, Toronto; we must react at least a little...

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I think a few players can make a difference. Putting Kosto/Begin/Lapierre on top lines doesn't add grit, but one or two gritty players, maybe with Pacioretty coming up for some more toughness can make a huge difference. Our top 3 lines can have skill/toughness, and our last line would be grinding only. Could help us alot in my opinion.

Old
12-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

For all the talk of how this team has bonded, it's concerning when guys are getting hammered, goalies are getting run and nobody steps up and does anything.

PJ Stock showed D'ago getting run from behind last game, and nobody did a ******* thing.

Dandy getting his arm broken....nothing.

Downie tonight should have been knuckled for running Halak.

I don't know if toughness is the issue, as much as guys sticking up for one another.....or if this a mandate from the coaching staff (telling guys not retaliate).
But I would rather see the Habs lose a game, where they defended one of their own, then win as they're getting the **** kicked out of them all over the ice.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Habs8517

They are soft as paper, much softer than last year.
Guess the Laraque signing had the opposite effect
Start drafting more canadian players and no more midgets.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
la25ecoupe

Laraque is doing commercial for Nissan instead of protecting his teamates.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Even if we do squeeze wins out of grittier teams, there is no way we survive a 7 game series against them. Imagine a 7 game playoff series vs Calgary? We'd be calling up the bulldogs to play game 3.

Old
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
la25ecoupe

**** man, they just should've smashed everyone on the Bolts team and just accept a lost but kill the other team = victory.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:04 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
I agree and I really believe Bob Gainey will make a move soon to bring in a gritty forward, maybe someone like David Clarkson or Bobby Holik? both are playing on New Jersey... I would love to see one of these guys in the line up

Old
12-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
For all the talk of how this team has bonded, it's concerning when guys are getting hammered, goalies are getting run and nobody steps up and does anything.

PJ Stock showed D'ago getting run from behind last game, and nobody did a ******* thing.

Dandy getting his arm broken....nothing.

Downie tonight should have been knuckled for running Halak.

I don't know if toughness is the issue, as much as guys sticking up for one another.....or if this a mandate from the coaching staff (telling guys not retaliate).
But I would rather see the Habs lose a game, where they defended one of their own, then win as they're getting the **** kicked out of them all over the ice.
How about LeCav spearing Pleks, cross checking Laps on a couple different occasions all right in front of a ref...you can't tell me these stars don't get preferencial treatment.... then a simple little hook or trip and the Habs go to the box. I don't usually complain about refs... but that was just plain bad.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Kirk Muller

another part of that with toughness is willingness to drive the net and go into dirty areas to get the garbage goals.

To many guys perfectly fine playing the perimeter. Kovalev is big but rarely takes it to the net hard. He's rather swoop behind the net and around the outside.

I honestly can see Pleks getting dealt if things don't change soon. He is playing scared.

Skosts seems to have lost his fire. Akosts doesn't drive net with enough regularity.

You begin to question Latendresse brains because if i were in his situation, i'd make my living in front of the net.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think i'm in the wrong board. By the way, Savard is having a good season.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Kirk Muller

on a different and somewhat side note, its interesting the arrogance showed by some on this board after beating Calgary and now tonight people wondering where the toughness is.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
on a different and somewhat side note, its interesting the arrogance showed by some on this board after beating Calgary and now tonight people wondering where the toughness is.
You mean the game where 2 Habs were injured?

Old
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
If you're trying to imply that I didn't make this thread after Calgarys game therefore its news to me now, you're wrong. Had you asked me after the Calgary game if we could beat them ina 7 game series, I would've answered no.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
You mean the game where 2 Habs were injured?
yup. thats what i find funny. How often did you read, "look at those skilled euro Canadiens defeat the big bad Flames from the West." Now a few days later, habs lack toughness and grit.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
If you're trying to imply that I didn't make this thread after Calgarys game therefore its news to me now, you're wrong. Had you asked me after the Calgary game if we could beat them ina 7 game series, I would've answered no.
not directed at you, just the tone some posters had after last game and the arrogance shown. i like you really question the teams lack of toughness and ability to win in the playoffs.

people need to remember Montreal doesn't have a Zetterberg or Datysuk, no one even close to their skill level. They don't have a perennial Norris trophy winner and nor do they have a guy like Franzen. Montreal doesn't have anyone close to these elements yet some people love to use them as a definition of a "skill" team that won the Cup and think Montreal can be like that.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Habs

OMG! KILL THEM! MAKE THEM PAY!
/

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
yup. thats what i find funny. How often did you read, "look at those skilled euro Canadiens defeat the big bad Flames from the West." Now a few days later, habs lack toughness and grit.
I don't think "toughnes" is the issue, but I think when you watch a guy get pasted right in front of you, and you don't do anything....I think that's an issue.

I also think that not having a PP that makes another team pay when things start getting out of hand is bad as well.

Last year's Habs kept teams at bay, because teams knew if they started running the Habs, there was a 25% chance they were going to get scored on.

Habs don't have a decent PP or a penchant for sticking up for their team-mates, and it looks like team's are taking a few more liberties this year, and it will become a concern come playoff time.

Old
12-11-2008, 09:22 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Habs have lacked toughness for years, this isn't something new to anyone on this board.
It was also evidently shown against Calgary, but winning makes the pill much easier to swallow.
When you lose AND gets physically abused all night long, now that's really infuriating.

Ah sweet memories : (Not that this team didn't lack toughness either, I'm just trying to make it a souray appreciation thread

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
speed11

i miss souray

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote