HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Toughness?

Old
12-13-2008, 09:55 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Penner is big but he does not play big.
He's ineffective and he makes a crapload of money. I don't see why you'd trade for him.

Well, Montreal needs a designated whipping boy.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Why ?
To get tougher but I didnt see him play much this year, I tought he was playing tough..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:19 AM
CanadienErrant*

It needs more MENTAL toughness than PHYSICAL toughness.

Loosing to subpar teams is awful. Look at what the Penguins and the Bruins have done in the last two days against weaker opponents. They just trashed them.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
What about S.Kostitsyn + Ryan White for Dustin Penner?
If we lose out on Sundin, I'd be more interested in taking a chance on Cole. He's UFA next year, so the risk is fairly low. But I wouldn't give SKostitsyn. Cole would have to be a bargain. As much as he's struggled this year, that's unlikely, as Lowe gave up Pitkanen for him. It might be hard to justify converting Pronger into Lupul into Pitkanen into Cole into your typical prospect + draft pick rental type of deal, at least until (if) the Oilers fall completely out of a playoff spot.

About Boston, I think they are as real or as fluke as the Habs were last year. Boston is a solid team. It has to be repeated that, but-for the very unusual 8-0 head to head record last year, Habs and Boston were very close. That was confirmed in the playoffs. I still think that Boston outplayed Montreal over those 7 games, and a big part of it was due to their team toughness.

I agree with CanadianErrant that it's really about mental toughness. It's just about willing to pay a greater physical price to get an edge over your opponent. That's what the Habs have a problem with sometimes. It's sometimes a stubborn team personality they would prefer to out-skill the other team, even if the game calls for that kind of physical battling that eventually leads to the ugly goal that makes the difference to the outcome.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
smon

Dustin Penner isn't well conditioned enough to play in the NHL. He doesn't use his size enough either. If you think Latendresse is slow...wait till you see Penner.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Derek Zoolander
En un clin d'œil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
It needs more MENTAL toughness than PHYSICAL toughness.
You've nailed it there. The Habs used speed and skill to secure the number one seed in the East last year, and that's the only way they're going to succeed this year. We can't turn a team of small-ish speedy snipers into the Charlestown Chiefs. Adding Big Georges looked like a masterstroke so that we had that one guy who would prevent opponents taking liberties but he's not had the impact we hoped for, especially when he's sitting in street clothes up in the Press Box.

I really thought we had turned a corner when the team responded to blowing the three goal lead against Atlanta to win late on and then blew the Rangers away in the next fixture, but the inept and gutless performance against the hapless Lightning really made me wonder if these guys and their coach are mentally tough enough to get the job done. We don't need gloves being dropped every game, we need offensive fireworks, big hits and great goaltending. That's what gave us 100 points last year.

Derek Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:46 PM
kovalost27

I think the Canadiens need a little mentoring from Mystikal.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
I think the Canadiens need a little mentoring from Mystikal.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUFC Habs View Post
You've nailed it there. The Habs used speed and skill to secure the number one seed in the East last year, and that's the only way they're going to succeed this year. We can't turn a team of small-ish speedy snipers into the Charlestown Chiefs. Adding Big Georges looked like a masterstroke so that we had that one guy who would prevent opponents taking liberties but he's not had the impact we hoped for, especially when he's sitting in street clothes up in the Press Box.

I really thought we had turned a corner when the team responded to blowing the three goal lead against Atlanta to win late on and then blew the Rangers away in the next fixture, but the inept and gutless performance against the hapless Lightning really made me wonder if these guys and their coach are mentally tough enough to get the job done. We don't need gloves being dropped every game, we need offensive fireworks, big hits and great goaltending. That's what gave us 100 points last year.
Agreed on everything... but while we always like to compare ourself to the Wings because of the way we play... the same thing applies to toughness. We rarely see the Wings players initiate the physical play ou rough up the opponents (aside from screening the goalie), they don't have goons, their play is based on skills, tactics, etc, NOT physical play... but we have yet to see them being pushed around, have their goalie ran at or anything similar... at the very worst if they ever get pushed around they won't change anything, they'll keep playing the way they're asked to...

And that's something we don't see from the Habs, if they get hit too much or pushed around, they'll stop playing, spot playing the way they were asked to that is...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Dustin Penner isn't well conditioned enough to play in the NHL. He doesn't use his size enough either. If you think Latendresse is slow...wait till you see Penner.
Agreed, Penner has Eric Daze syndrom, he's essentially a 6'4" sniper. He's a big body and relatively slow, I don't think that Penner is the answer to Montreal's lack of team toughness.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:45 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
This team is defenitely too soft for the playoffs.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
habs24

Bring up Flinn and Henry!!! Quickly. Halak got run again against Washington. Both Flinn and Henry pounded some Leafs yesterday

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote