HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

getting gunshy

Old
12-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
getting gunshy

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone experienced this before playing. I'm a defenseman and I'm pretty much a physical player but lately I've been getting pretty gunshy when I play. Like I find my overall game just went to crap. I find myself getting playing very passive when I'm playing one on one I'm not playing like I used to. Even with the puck I'm treating it like a hand grenade. Just such a slump I'm not sure how to pull myself out of this slump. I'm like a useless pylon out there lately.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 12:23 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
say "eff it" and start going all-out, no matter how many mistakes happen. playing shy can only end in failure, but if you start playing harder, it WILL work itself out.

Don't make blind clearing passes, and don't reach. Other than that, just go balls-out.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
MikeD

think back to hte last game where you felt like you were playing as your normal self. What happened that changed that? Can you pin point the event? How about off ice events in your life? Job stress, School, arguement with a girlfriend? any of these things that cause you to have a bad game that you are over critical of can bring on the snowball.

Slumps....

Regardless of the position you play or the sport, when you hit a slump always return to the basics. Concentrate on your basic skills and let those thughts of "slump" go. Its fine and dandy to be your worst critic but also give yourself credit where its due. Attitude...positive breeds good things. Negative causes a slow downward spiral. Focus on your basics, give yourself those small pats on the back for successes and limit your focus on a negative to one "action or failure" per game.

Being a pylon...opponents walking around you? Look at your basic skills. Are you trying to turn 90 as your apponent comes even? you know you have to go 180 or you lose a stride.....basic fundamentals will return you to your game. Let the past be just that...the past.

Its common for a slumping player to get into a mental "funk". Hitting the gym can help eliminate that mild depression. Watch your diet a bit more closely, also. If your trying to lose body fat and are on a reduced carb intake, you can begin to see a switch to a negative/depressed attitude. Low blood sugar levels not only cause poor performance but also poor decision making. Bad timing, poor decisin making, missed plays, give aways.....these things can snowball. Low/reduced carb dieting affects women and their mental state to an even greater extent.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote