HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with Dion?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
  #26
Split98
Registered User
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post
May the good lord have mercy on your soul for wanting Hamrlik back. Actually no. May the good lord rip your heart out and feed it to rabid ferrets.
HAHA. Knew that'd spark someone.

But I do miss Hammy actually. He was so reliable in slotting a great pass into the awaiting cannon. With Phaneuf's maturity and confidence this year... there'd be far more devastating bombs... if he hits the net.

The bobbling, half accurate pass attempts Gio has been sending have eliminated any chance of Dion ripping an accurate one-timer. Back in the Hamerlik days, one-timers were ripped at least once or twice a game.

Edit:
Lol, looking for any good Hammy-Phaneuf examples and I came across this. Anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVC1dI3ts98

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
  #27
JohnnyMapleLeaf
 
JohnnyMapleLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Wow...there's some good spin here. The guys having a down year, plain and simple. The last 3 games, the Flames have scored 11 goals, and not one point by Dion. They score 6 goals in STL, and not one point, and an even night. He's minus eight, and looks to be floating. JMO.

JohnnyMapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
  #28
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
Wow...there's some good spin here. The guys having a down year, plain and simple. The last 3 games, the Flames have scored 11 goals, and not one point by Dion. They score 6 goals in STL, and not one point, and an even night. He's minus eight, and looks to be floating. JMO.
there is more to a players game than points... and if you think he is floating you are obviously not really watching


besides how is it a 'down year' when he is still on pace for a career high in points? especially since that seems to be your only basis for this arguement

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
  #29
JohnnyMapleLeaf
 
JohnnyMapleLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Well...he's not on pace for a career year...he's on pace for 59 points. PLUS...A bunch of garbage secondary assists do not make a career year in my book. Where are the goals? He has 3. And points aren't my only point (although he is supposed to be a point producer). His plus/minus is way down too as stated, and only 2 fights after 10 last year. I don't know...probably over-reacting. Just seems the excitements gone with this guy a bit this year.

I loved the guy's play...just disappointed so far this year. He'll turn it around I'm sure. His shots are still there, so the goals will come I guess.

JohnnyMapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
  #30
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

Edit:
Lol, looking for any good Hammy-Phaneuf examples and I came across this. Anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVC1dI3ts98

Thanks for posting that. Great clip.

Thanks for posting that.

I am not sure with the obsession on Phaneuf's points. If we take this to the ultimate conclusion we would dump off D stars like Regehr and we all know how dumb that is! Give the guy a break, Phaneuf is having a great season and maturing into an outstanding D man.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  #31
PsYcNeT
Registered User
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
If you were playing with Giordano instead of the (mostly) top 3 forwards he's been paired with in past years, your point production and +/- would drop as well.

For all it's worth, Calgary is the only team in the top 10 of the league that has <1:1 goal to goals against differential. I'm sure that affects his +/- as well

PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
  #32
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
There is nothing wrong Dion's game this year... there is more happening on the ice than you see in the numbers...

His goal totals are down because he is using his wrist shot more, this can be attributed to a combination of things such as:
- adding Bertuzzi and Cammalleri to the powerplay, more offensive weapons mean he isn't doing it all alone anymore
- playing with lots of PP time with Giordano, before it wa Dion and Aucoin for most PPs and the defense had 2 bombs to watch not just 1
- teams have become more aware of Dion's shot and realize they don't have as much time as before because he won't always wond up the cannon

While the goal totals are down his assists are way up, in fact he leads all NHL defensemen in assists this year and is 3rd in points... in comparison he finished 5th in points last season and 6th in assists... offensively I do not see the concern because its just being distributed differently and is on pace to eclipse his career high in points, which he has done every year of his career thus far.

His penalty minutes are down because his fighting and lazy penalties are down... Keenan wants Dion on the ice for 27+ minutes a game, that doesn't happen when he takes a fighting major or lazy penalties. Another difference is Dion is not pulling himself out of position as often looking for the big hit, this causes less scrums and less fights.

as for his shots... he has 106 and is on pace for 290 which would be a career high by a decent amount... this has nothing to do with him missing the net either because shots are shots on goal, they do not include shots that are blocked or shots that miss the net. The truth is Dion is shooting more and getting more pucks through because he isn't using the slapper as often... also Dion tries missing the net sometimes too, we have all seen it since the Saddledome had new livelier boards put in mid-way through last season

His +/- is misleading as is more players in the league but if you stop to think about how bad the Flames had been at 5 on 5 this year it would make sense. Bad 5 on 5 team , plus a defenseman playing 27+ minutes a game can quite often translate to a poor +/- rating. I would like to point out Dion is playing more on the 1st shorthanded unit than ever before and more against other teams top lines than ever before as well; him being bad defensively has become a myth. His number of poor defensive plays has dropped this year, largely because as I mentioned before he is looking fo the big hit less than ever... but his number of great defensive plays has risen considerably... last season you would hear the commentators comment on a great defensive play by Dion every couple of games, but this year you are seeing it at least once a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
Well...he's not on pace for a career year...he's on pace for 59 points. PLUS...A bunch of garbage secondary assists do not make a career year in my book. Where are the goals? He has 3. And points aren't my only point (although he is supposed to be a point producer). His plus/minus is way down too as stated, and only 2 fights after 10 last year. I don't know...probably over-reacting. Just seems the excitements gone with this guy a bit this year.

I loved the guy's play...just disappointed so far this year. He'll turn it around I'm sure. His shots are still there, so the goals will come I guess.
since the first quote he has gone 3 games without a point... prior to that he was on pace to eclipse his career point total by a couple... maybe you should actually read the posts in here such as this and it will explain alot to you as its not just 'spin'... also Phaneuf's 2nd assists often come from starting a rush and carrying the puck through he neutral zone... they aren't exactly easy assists

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
  #33
swany
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
I have been an Oiler fan since they came into the NHL, now I have 3 boys 2 of them are Oiler fans, BUT the youngest one is 8 and guess what he is a Flames fan I put this here because his #1 player is Dion. So with my youngest son liking the Flames I have no choice but to give you guys props. I won't say anything negative about the Flames again. Now don't get me wrong when it comes to the Flames vs the Oil I haveto cheer AGAINST my 8 year old, BUT (and this is hard to say) I will back you guys in every other game. Keep it up and good luck. We are also sucking so maybeSutter can Fleece Lowebelli and get Hemmer, Iggy and Hemmer =CUP

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:38 PM
  #34
workedforme
Registered User
 
workedforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
I must be one of the few who actually like Giordano...but if we must trade for a d partner to play with Phaneuf, I personally think Kaberle is the answer. McCabe set all kind of career highs with him feeding him one timers, and Phaneuf is thrice the player McCabe is. So if we could make the $ work, thats where I would focus. Doesn't hurt that Kabs could also be available, but you gotta think burke would want back Boyd+1st instead of Backlund, which would just open up a forward spot to fill.
However a second pairing of Gio-Regher might actually accomplish something offensively as well.
Aucoin would have to be moved to make the $ work I think....
side note: Hemsky won't ever be traded away from Edmonton.ever.

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
  #35
flamesfan12
Registered User
 
flamesfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beaumont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMapleLeaf View Post
Well...he's not on pace for a career year...he's on pace for 59 points. PLUS...A bunch of garbage secondary assists do not make a career year in my book. Where are the goals? He has 3. And points aren't my only point (although he is supposed to be a point producer). His plus/minus is way down too as stated, and only 2 fights after 10 last year. I don't know...probably over-reacting. Just seems the excitements gone with this guy a bit this year.

I loved the guy's play...just disappointed so far this year. He'll turn it around I'm sure. His shots are still there, so the goals will come I guess.
Not a bad thing imo. He needed to step up and improve his defensive game and has done that. Especially the last 10 games or so he has been great. He's not looking for the big hit that takes him out of position anymore. He's playing well and as everyone has said the goals will come eventually. He leads the league in icetime and in shots.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
  #36
swany
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan laser View Post
I must be one of the few who actually like Giordano...but if we must trade for a d partner to play with Phaneuf, I personally think Kaberle is the answer. McCabe set all kind of career highs with him feeding him one timers, and Phaneuf is thrice the player McCabe is. So if we could make the $ work, thats where I would focus. Doesn't hurt that Kabs could also be available, but you gotta think burke would want back Boyd+1st instead of Backlund, which would just open up a forward spot to fill.
However a second pairing of Gio-Regher might actually accomplish something offensively as well.
Aucoin would have to be moved to make the $ work I think....
side note: Hemsky won't ever be traded away from Edmonton.ever.
Hemmer won't be traded out of Edmonton, well he left roughly 1.5 to 2 mil a year on the table for the Oilers to bring in better players, management has not done that at all Hoc makes more Penner makes more Cole is close Gilbert is just as much. Hemmer is on pace for 90 points this year a 90 point player is worth 6 to 6.5 mil a year and Hemmers cap hit is 4.25 a year. He is starting to look very frustrated because he is the only player creating offence, I agree he won't get traded, but he might ask for one.

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 03:51 PM
  #37
Split98
Registered User
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Thanks for posting that. Great clip.

Thanks for posting that.

I am not sure with the obsession on Phaneuf's points. If we take this to the ultimate conclusion we would dump off D stars like Regehr and we all know how dumb that is! Give the guy a break, Phaneuf is having a great season and maturing into an outstanding D man.
lol... np. I completely forgot that ever happened until I stumbled across it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan laser View Post
I must be one of the few who actually like Giordano...but if we must trade for a d partner to play with Phaneuf, I personally think Kaberle is the answer. McCabe set all kind of career highs with him feeding him one timers, and Phaneuf is thrice the player McCabe is. So if we could make the $ work, thats where I would focus. Doesn't hurt that Kabs could also be available, but you gotta think burke would want back Boyd+1st instead of Backlund, which would just open up a forward spot to fill.
However a second pairing of Gio-Regher might actually accomplish something offensively as well.
Aucoin would have to be moved to make the $ work I think....
side note: Hemsky won't ever be traded away from Edmonton.ever.
I definitely like Gio, but I just don't see him suited for a role with Dion. 100% agree though, Kabby would be incredible to have over here. I remember very fondly watching the McCabe and Kabby duo... and it took opposing teams a LONG time to ever figure out how to stop them. It would be devastating, for McCabe's bomb is an absolute joke compared to Dion.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.