HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can someone explain to me Draft Picks?

Old
12-13-2008, 07:59 AM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me Draft Picks?

Hi guys,

I'm really dumb and have to admit that i do not know how Draft Picks works..

Things like, who gets to pick first (how's the lottery works)?

Are the picks (players) already ranked, or the teams will select any player they want when it's their turn to pick?

How come sometimes we see players with jersey with their name on and others are blank?

So you can make trade during a draft pick, live? (ala Gainey)

When team trade picks, do they actually trade players (the rookie) or is the player unknown at trade time?

Do teams battle for last place to get good picks?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Hi guys,

I'll do my best..

Quote:
Things like, who gets to pick first (how's the lottery works)?
The lottery is made up of certain # of balls for each team. I think the most a team can move up or down, is four places. I can't explain the percentages of balls as I'm unsure, but that's the basic understanding.

Quote:
Are the picks (players) already ranked, or the teams will select any player they want when it's their turn to pick?
The players are ranked by numerous different scouting sites like The Hockey News, TSN, McKeens, etc. A team can draft any player they want when it's their turn to select. Thomas Hickey, for example, was selected 4th overall by the Los Angeles Kings, even though most scouting reports had him ranked in the mid-20's.

Quote:
How come sometimes we see players with jersey with their name on and others are blank?
Usually, the top-10 or top-15 players drafted will have their names on the jerseys, as the teams have a group of players they are going to select.

Sometimes, you'll get a pick in there where the player doesn't have a name, and that's because each team probably makes nameplates for about 10 guys, and all them would be selected by the time their turn comes.

Very rarely from the 2nd round on will a player have their name on their jersey.

Quote:
So you can make trade during a draft pick, live? (ala Gainey)
Yeah.

Quote:
When team trade picks, do they actually trade players (the rookie) or is the player unknown at trade time?
Depending on the situation. Sometimes a team will draft a player and then trade him immediately, though this is more common in the NBA or NFL.

The most likely scenario in the NHL is that the draft pick is traded, rather than the player.

But it can happen either way.

Quote:
Under the table? Maybe. Some GM's will move all their good players to try and bomb their season, but I very much doubt any of the players touching the ice will ever try to lose.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:11 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Hi guys,

Things like, who gets to pick first (how's the lottery works)? where u finish...lottery for top something i forget

Are the picks (players) already ranked, or the teams will select any player they want when it's their turn to pick? usually they are ranked but after the first round its all over the place, they pick WHOEVER they please

How come sometimes we see players with jersey with their name on and others are blank? they just know who they are going to pick aka they have been scouting them for ages, others are just pickups not even knowing if they will get them ala later rounds

So you can make trade during a draft pick, live? (ala Gainey) YUPPERS!

When team trade picks, do they actually trade players (the rookie) or is the player unknown at trade time? they trade the right to pick in that spot thats all the players are still unknown...hence BPA: best player available

paradox almost because its tough to be a professional team and BATTLE for last place lol

hope that helps

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 08:15 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Well every non-playoff team in the NHL has a shot at the lottery. The lower you are in the standings, the higher chance you have at winning it (30th has a 25% chance of winning, goes down to 0.5% for the "best" non-playoff team). The number is drawn and the winner can move up 4 places in the draft. No team can move down more than one spot, only the worst 4 teams have a chance at 1st overall.

Picks are ranked by various scouting services, but they are just opinions. Teams scout themselves and have their own personal rankings. That is why we see some players rise and some players fall from expected draft positions.

Names on jerseys I have no idea. I think now they can pretty much make the name plates instantly, they are not stitched. The number on the back is the year of the draft (this year all picks had 08).

Yes you can trade picks or players during that day, it is often done because all the GM's are in one room together and some want to prep for free agency.

Both draft picks and drafted players can be traded. But when they do trade picks, the player is unknown as they can choose anyone they wish.

The lottery prevents teams from battling for last. There is uncertainty even if you do have the worst record in the league. The NHL would also certainly take action if they could prove teams were losing on purpose.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:30 AM
la25ecoupe

Guys, thank for all the great answers!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

http://www.nhlscap.com/draft.htm#order

http://www.nhlscap.com/draft.htm#lottery

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:54 AM
curtisl1982

don't forget the players are ranked by the Central scouting bureau as well.

curtisl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote