HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Sbisa go to World Juniors?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
  #1
ahtikullervo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Will Sbisa go to World Juniors?

Noticed that Spisa is on long list of Team Switzerland. Will he go to Herisau (14.-20.12.08)?

ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
  #2
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
who is spisa?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
  #3
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
probably on the list b/c he is eligible. cant imagine the flyers will let him play

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
  #4
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
This is a Spisa supposedly.



Im unsure about the Worls part, but i'm going to go with a resounding yes either way.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
  #5
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
  #6
shamski7
Registered User
 
shamski7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
This is a Spisa supposedly.



Im unsure about the Worls part, but i'm going to go with a resounding yes either way.

OHHH. a SPISA. duh.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
  #7
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
this is gonna a funny thread. little does this kid/guy/girl/whatever they shall be, is there's already a poll regarding this issue


Last edited by dbr2: 12-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:04 PM
  #8
ahtikullervo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
this is gonna a funny thread. little does the kid know there's a poll already regarding this issue
Link to the poll? JWC is in his home country... Hmm. He would be huge there!

ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
  #9
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Even though Sbisa was born in Italy, his name is not spelled like a city there.

Since we are already on the topic, could somebody tell the TV commentators that although Sbisa was born in Italy, he still carries a Swiss passport because unlike the U.S. system, in europe your place of birth rarely defines your nationality.

Fun fact btw, Sbisa could apply for Austrian nationality since you can become a citizen of Austria if one of your parents was Austrian at the time of your birth.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
  #10
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
Link to the poll? JWC is in his home country... Hmm. He would be huge there!
Here ya go man, http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=554316

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:26 PM
  #11
forzanerazzurri
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Even though Sbisa was born in Italy, his name is not spelled like a city there.

Since we are already on the topic, could somebody tell the TV commentators that although Sbisa was born in Italy, he still carries a Swiss passport because unlike the U.S. system, in europe your place of birth rarely defines your nationality.

Fun fact btw, Sbisa could apply for Austrian nationality since you can become a citizen of Austria if one of your parents was Austrian at the time of your birth.
Hmm depends on whether or not the country recognises nationality based on Right of Birth or Right of Blood. France and the UK are right of Birth so if you are born there youre that nationality. Italy and many others are right of blood. I was born in Canada but have dual citizenship (both Canadian and Italian passports) because of my parents. So be careful when generalising all of Europe

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
  #12
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
France and the UK are right of Birth so if you are born there youre that nationality.
Just nit-pickin'......

That's not quite true. I was born in Scotland in 1981 and I'm entitled to UK citizenship even though I left the country as a baby (note: neither of my parents are UK citizens). Those born in 1982 and afterwards are not entitled to citizenship simply because they are born there; they must live in the UK for a certain period of time (or have parents with UK citizenship, of course).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
  #13
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Hmm depends on whether or not the country recognises nationality based on Right of Birth or Right of Blood. France and the UK are right of Birth so if you are born there youre that nationality. Italy and many others are right of blood. I was born in Canada but have dual citizenship (both Canadian and Italian passports) because of my parents. So be careful when generalising all of Europe
Um yeah, I know that. I wasn't trying to say that it's always in europe that the nationality of your parents defines your own.

The problem I have is that TV commentators constantly call him italian-born, which is true but irrelevant, or italian. I have yet to hear a commentator call him swiss. I attribute this mostly due to the law that makes you a U.S. citizen when born in the U.S. In a way, they are generalizing.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
  #14
forzanerazzurri
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Um yeah, I know that. I wasn't trying to say that it's always in europe that the nationality of your parents defines your own.

The problem I have is that TV commentators constantly call him italian-born, which is true but irrelevant, or italian. I have yet to hear a commentator call him swiss. I attribute this mostly due to the law that makes you a U.S. citizen when born in the U.S. In a way, they are generalizing.
Ok got ya. You are right. There are many Italian born footballers of North African descent (for example) that are not Italian citizens. They dont even get to apply until they are 18. SO yes, it is totally irrelevant in Italy if you are born there. It is all up to what your parents are which I totally agree with. If your wife is pregnant and you go to vegas, and the kid is born premature there is it American? That could be messy. I prefer right of blood.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
  #15
forzanerazzurri
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Just nit-pickin'......

That's not quite true. I was born in Scotland in 1981 and I'm entitled to UK citizenship even though I left the country as a baby (note: neither of my parents are UK citizens). Those born in 1982 and afterwards are not entitled to citizenship simply because they are born there; they must live in the UK for a certain period of time (or have parents with UK citizenship, of course).
Oh ok thanks for the info. Lots of countries have those little changes and most of them come when the country decided to recognise dual citizenship. In Italy, all of the people who left before 1991 had to renounce their citizenship as Italy did not recognise dual citizenships. In 1991 you had a 12 month window (cant remember exactly) to reapply for your citizenship if you had renounced it previously (this was because they now recognised dual). If you did not apply within that window, youre out of luck now, even if you were born there AND had citizenship before 1991. Not sure if thats what youre talking about, but just an example of how confusing nationality can be.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
  #16
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would love it if he went. I think WJC is great experience for young players. Jones and parent both coming back in December so its good timing aswell

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
  #17
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,481
vCash: 50
Switzerland is in division 1, which isn't the top division with Canada and USA and all them. They got relegated last year. They won't even give him a night off, so they absolutely won't release him for the WJC's.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
  #18
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,439
vCash: 500
It's not worth it unless he's playing against top competition - which Switz. isn't

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
  #19
ahtikullervo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Switzerland plays Belarus, Slovenia, France, Poland ... and Estonia.


Last edited by ahtikullervo: 12-09-2008 at 12:50 AM.
ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
  #20
ahtikullervo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
No news?

ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
  #21
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
No news?
There won't be any news because the Flyers won't even consider releasing him to play.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
  #22
ahtikullervo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Suisse lost to Austria in tight game after penalty shootout 2:3, blew 2:0 lead...

ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
  #23
Zorkan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
There is no way in hell that he will play in the worlds. It would be stupid too since there is no added value compared to playing in the NHL (duh!). Especially considering the ice-time he is getting in the NHL. It might have been different if he'd only get a few minutes per game.

About nationality:

1) He is a Swiss citizen.
2) He learned to play hockey in Switzerland.
3) He is playing for the Swiss national team.

-> for Pete's sakes, call him Swiss already...

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:46 AM
  #24
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,641
vCash: 500
no he wont

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 11:42 AM
  #25
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Does anybody know if Sbisa was known for hip-checks in the WHL? I constantly see him try them in recent games. He needs to work at his timing but I'd really like to see one connect and send a guy flying.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.