HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Change In Leadership Needed: From Renney Down

Old
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
No no and no !

But that's my point, we are still getting points. I love it ! Imagine if we start to put it all together, we might actually contend. This team hasn't played too bad against the top teams, maybe an addition by trade(sather has made a significant one every year has he not?) and who knows what April brings.

I never thought this team was a capable playoff team, maybe 8th. I'm ecstatic at the points so far. I dont expect the world and 5 straight Cups, maybe that's why i'm not jumping off the ship like certain posters
Hey man, I'm glad your happy with mediocrity..I'm sure as hell tired of it after 11 years of watching it. And I'm tired of the same old with this team.

I'm not jumping ship, I want this team to finally wake up and build a solid team.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:17 PM
ThirdEye

I blame Renny much more so than Drury. There is only so much Drury can do... whereas the coach gets paid to do one thing... to make sure a team plays to the best of their ability. If Renney can't do that, then what are the Rangers paying him for?

I see him yelling at the players at times, and I'm sure he knows what he wants, but the players simply don't seem to respond to anything he says any more.

I know this team will never be elite with the players they have now, but they shouldn't be 28th or whatever they are in scoring and similarly on the PP. There is no excuse for that

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:18 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Hey man, I'm glad your happy with mediocrity..I'm sure as hell tired of it after 11 years of watching it. And I'm tired of the same old with this team.

I'm not jumping ship, I want this team to finally wake up and build a solid team.
34 years. welcome to my world.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
34 years. welcome to my world.
I was just refering to the past 11 years straight. I've been through more than 11, but I know what you mean. Ugh, it's painful.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:

Overnight and it shouldve been done yesterday right?

I have years to be patient, my fave players are still growing and when they peak, then i'll expect results. Right now I hope they improve from what we've seen. I don't applaud mediocrity, I expect it, thats why i'm not so upset.

If you buy the dog that pees in the house once in awhile, dont be upset when he pees in the house once and awhile

OneMinuteShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Overnight and it shouldve been done yesterday right?

I have years to be patient, my fave players are still growing and when they peak, then i'll expect results. Right now I hope they improve from what we've seen. I don't applaud mediocrity, I expect it, thats why i'm not so upset.

If you buy the dog that pees in the house once in awhile, dont be upset when he pees in the house once and awhile
Overnight? 11 years is far from overnight. They've had 11 straight years to get this right since the last time they had a contending team. This is ridiculous now.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:23 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I blame Renny much more so than Drury. There is only so much Drury can do... whereas the coach gets paid to do one thing... to make sure a team plays to the best of their ability. If Renney can't do that, then what are the Rangers paying him for?

I see him yelling at the players at times, and I'm sure he knows what he wants, but the players simply don't seem to respond to anything he says any more.

I know this team will never be elite with the players they have now, but they shouldn't be 28th or whatever they are in scoring and similarly on the PP. There is no excuse for that
Why do you expect Renney to polish Bronze and demand it to come out gold? This is a fringe playoff team, they're playing like it, whats so hard to grasp here?

Old
12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Overnight? 11 years is far from overnight. They've had 11 straight years to get this right since the last time they had a contending team. This is ridiculous now.
Blame the GM then, why blame Renney & Drury for 11 years. Think.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Blame the GM then, why blame Renney & Drury for 11 years. Think.
Because THEY are the kind of guys who have been LEADING this team for 11 years. Whimpy, no back bone kind of guys. The changes have to start somewhere. The GM isn't going anywhere. He's in bed with the owner. It's not realistic to think Sather is going anywhere unless he retires. But it is realistic to get rid of the current leadership on this team.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Why do you expect Renney to polish Bronze and demand it to come out gold? This is a fringe playoff team, they're playing like it, whats so hard to grasp here?
Fringe playoff teams shouldn't be cap strapped and headed by a bunch of over-paid, over-the-hill veterans. This team was not built to be a fringe playoff team. You don't sign guys like Drury and Gomez to the insane contracts they got to be a fringe playoff team.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Because THEY are the kind of guys who have been LEADING this team for 11 years. Whimpy, no back bone kind of guys. The changes have to start somewhere. The GM isn't going anywhere. He's in bed with the owner. It's not realistic to think Sather is going anywhere unless he retires. But it is realistic to get rid of the current leadership on this team.
No, no its not actually. Drury is going nowhere, so stop watching or root for him, unless you enjoy making yourself a miserable curmudgeon

Old
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
What's so hard to grasp is why a bunch of professional hockey players can't play for 60 minutes a game. This has nothing to do with skill. Are you honestly going to tell me that their offense is the 2nd or 3rd worst in the league? At the least it should be middle of pack. Same with the defense.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Esa 10

From Sam Weinman.

"...Chris Drury somehow has found a silver lining. No, seriously.

“That could be the point that gets us home-ice advantage,” Drury said. “I’m certainly not going to let it ruin my Christmas and I don’t think anyone here is going to let it ruin their break, either.

“There are 24 others teams in this league who would be dying to have our record..."

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

The Captain has more important things on his mind than a blown hockey game. The fans might be embarrassed by the biggest blown home lead in 20 years, but it's a good point to Chris Drury. Just another day at the office. His teammates' play this year certainly looks like they have taken Drury's attitude to heart.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
From Sam Weinman.

“That could be the point that gets us home-ice advantage,” Drury said. “I’m certainly not going to let it ruin my Christmas and I don’t think anyone here is going to let it ruin their break, either.

“There are 24 others teams in this league who would be dying to have our record..."

The Captain has more important things on his mind than a blown hockey game. The fans might be embarrassed by the biggest blown home lead in 20 years, but it's a good point to Chris Drury. Just another day at the office. His teammates' play this year certainly looks like they have taken Drury's attitude to heart.
And I rest my case.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:41 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Fringe playoff teams shouldn't be cap strapped and headed by a bunch of over-paid, over-the-hill veterans. This team was not built to be a fringe playoff team. You don't sign guys like Drury and Gomez to the insane contracts they got to be a fringe playoff team.
Cap strapped? We needed players just to compete, thats a fact. You dont throw cubs out inthe wild with no help, thats how you ruin young players. I'd still take Drury and Gomez over Nylander and the other also rans, they were never gonna help this team either. Drury & Gomez are proven winners, their attitudes before, during and after games are still valuable to the growing youth on this team. Building a winner is a process. I'll expect results when our core youth hit their peak.

Also about Dru & Gomer, you don't sign them and give them no help on wing and expect a first place finish in the standings do you? That's the GM's fault.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What's so hard to grasp is why a bunch of professional hockey players can't play for 60 minutes a game. This has nothing to do with skill. Are you honestly going to tell me that their offense is the 2nd or 3rd worst in the league? At the least it should be middle of pack. Same with the defense.
Defensively they should be better, I will say that. It's inconsistent though, like I thought it would be. The offense was bound to struggle with new faces in important places (top lines).

Old
12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Cap strapped? We needed players just to compete, thats a fact. You dont throw cubs out inthe wild with no help, thats how you ruin young players. I'd still take Drury and Gomez over Nylander and the other also rans, they were never gonna help this team either. Drury & Gomez are proven winners, their attitudes before, during and after games are still valuable to the growing youth on this team. Building a winner is a process. I'll expect results when our core youth hit their peak.

Also about Dru & Gomer, you don't sign them and give them no help on wing and expect a first place finish in the standings do you? That's the GM's fault.
I'm tired of this argument that Gomez has no help. He has now played with the likes of Jaromir Jagr, Markus Naslund, Nikolai Zherdev, Brandon Dubinsky, Martin Straka, and every other player to wear a Ranger jersey over the past two years and he hasn't been able to click with anyone.

If he's such a great player he should be able to make the players around him better. Not only can he not do that, he can't even play well with good talent around him.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:46 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
From Sam Weinman.

Drury is somewhat right. Its disappointing, but why sulk and make it worse? That's how losers stay losers. Come back strong another day and prove the naysayers wrong. He's a good captain.

Old
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
It might not ruin Drury's christmas but i am sure a few fans who paid good money to see the game might disagree with him.

It seems our team has a mentality where getting a point is good enough, even if it means throwing away a 4 goal lead

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
I'm tired of this argument that Gomez has no help. He has now played with the likes of Jaromir Jagr, Markus Naslund, Nikolai Zherdev, Brandon Dubinsky, Martin Straka, and every other player to wear a Ranger jersey over the past two years and he hasn't been able to click with anyone.

If he's such a great player he should be able to make the players around him better. Not only can he not do that, he can't even play well with good talent around him.
Wasn't he our point leader last year? This year he's been hurt, but i'll even discount that for argument sake. If Naslund and Zman are off from their point totals last year i'll agree with you. Anyone have those numbers?

Old
12-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Esa 10

Quote:

Zherdev and Naslund have been this team's best forwards. They are having excellent seasons despite their centers often dragging them down for various reasons.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
Wasn't he our point leader last year? This year he's been hurt, but i'll even discount that for argument sake. If Naslund and Zman are off from their point totals last year i'll agree with you. Anyone have those numbers?
I know Zherdev is. Not sure about Naslund. Besides, the chemistry is between Naslund and Zherdev, it's almost as if Gomez is weighing that line down.

Old
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
It might not ruin Drury's christmas but i am sure a few fans who paid good money to see the game might disagree with him.

It seems our team has a mentality where getting a point is good enough, even if it means throwing away a 4 goal lead
They did see a good game, it was just won by the opposing team in OT.

Nowhere on the ticket does it say 'a guaranteed win or your money back !'

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Games are not played by shoulda coulda woulda,

not played in theory,

not played on paper.

They are played on the ice. And on the ice, this team's offense is 24th.

And it is not a coaching staff issue. It is a player personnel issue. You are either born with the ability to put the puck in the net, or your not. If every Joe-Shmoe could do it, they would. If every 3rd line player could score like Ovechkin, then Ovechkin wouldn't be making 124 million dollars, would he?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 10:53 PM
OneMinuteShift

Quote:
I know Zherdev is. Not sure about Naslund. Besides, the chemistry is between Naslund and Zherdev, it's almost as if Gomez is weighing that line down.
So basically none of our centers can help them? Cause as you say Drury is just as bad, and Dubinsky as we see isn't doing much more.