HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I hate Benoit Brunet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2008, 11:21 AM
  #1
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 500
I hate Benoit Brunet

I can't take Benoit Brunet's "commentaries" anymore! His man-love for Lats and Begin and his hate for non-Quebecois (especially Russian) players is too much to bear. He is more negative than any posters here if that's possible.

He was no more than a soft 4th line pylon when he played and now he's the "expert" on RDS!?! He mumbles and bumbles when trying to speak and repeats himself all the time. He's worse than Yvon Pednault and makes it unbearable to watch the games on RDS. Yes Sergei had some bad penalties... I think we got the message the 23rd time he said that if he was coach, Sergei wouldn't be playing. Lats stands to the side of the net and is praised for being there... but having done nothing.

Is he on a one-year contract?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:25 AM
  #2
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,759
vCash: 500
You mean his love for Steve, Guillaume, Mathieu, Francis, Maxime and Alex.

and his hate for Kostitsyn, Kovalev, Markov and Lang.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:27 AM
  #3
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Brunet is awful! To watch yesterday's game, it was a choice between Brunet as color commentator and Mark Lee as PBP guy. Blech.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:30 AM
  #4
habsfan56
Registered User
 
habsfan56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
i hate him as a commentator. if latendress makes a mistake its because he's learning, if a kostitsyn makes a mistake he'll repeat it a hundred times. i remember once andrei gave the puck away once in the 2nd period and brunet blamed the canadiens loss on that

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  #5
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan56 View Post
i hate him as a commentator. if latendress makes a mistake its because he's learning, if a kostitsyn makes a mistake he'll repeat it a hundred times. i remember once andrei gave the puck away once in the 2nd period and brunet blamed the canadiens loss on that
Aside from what you guys have said, which I agree with, I don't understand what he brings that Pednault didn't. When the move was announced it defied logic but I gave the guy a chance, after 1/4 of the season I am more perplexed than ever.

I also hate how he calls most of our players by their first name ...

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  #6
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I can't take Benoit Brunet's "commentaries" anymore! His man-love for Lats and Begin and his hate for non-Quebecois (especially Russian) players is too much to bear. He is more negative than any posters here if that's possible.

He was no more than a soft 4th line pylon when he played and now he's the "expert" on RDS!?! He mumbles and bumbles when trying to speak and repeats himself all the time. He's worse than Yvon Pednault and makes it unbearable to watch the games on RDS. Yes Sergei had some bad penalties... I think we got the message the 23rd time he said that if he was coach, Sergei wouldn't be playing. Lats stands to the side of the net and is praised for being there... but having done nothing.

Is he on a one-year contract?
He may not be good on TV (and Murray Wilson mumbles his way through radio broadcasts) but your assessment of Brunet as a player is utterly ridiculous. He was a very smart player with good positional sense and he had scoring ability. His PPG of 0.487 in the regular season and 0.462 in the playoffs is comparable to Carbonneau's 0.503 and 0.402. Unfortunately, Brunet was injury prone, which kept him from doing better offensively.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
  #7
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 9,828
vCash: 500
I feel that the love for frenchies are orders from RDS administration... either you make french look good or you're out!

Jacques Demers is a great example, he never had any bias toward frenchies but lately he's getting on my nerves!

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
  #8
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,759
vCash: 500
When Lats takes a penalty it's "He had no choice, the defensemen made a good player so he had to hook him, he's only 21 one, still learning"

Sergei takes a penalty "What a terrible play, I don't understand why he's on the team, he's 21 and should know these things by now"

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
  #9
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
It was too much for me when he called Brisebois "Pat" several times during the same sequence...

Dude, I know you played with him and he's your friend, but FFS you're on TV, show some professionalism...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:38 AM
  #10
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
When Lats takes a penalty it's "He had no choice, the defensemen made a good player so he had to hook him, he's only 21 one, still learning"

Sergei takes a penalty "What a terrible play, I don't understand why he's on the team, he's 21 and should know these things by now"
Forget Brunet one second.
Was Sergei good in the past few games ?
NO, he played like crap and yes he took horrible selfish penalties.


Now I just hope you all concentrate your Brunet comments in this thread and stop polluting the GDT's with 30 posts on each of his comments.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:39 AM
  #11
totalrecall
 
totalrecall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
choice is very clear my friends:

a) Don't watch rds,
b) Watch rds with mute
c) Watch CBC (when game on)
d) Watch Sports Central (when game on)
e) Watch Online (there is always online game available for free)

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:39 AM
  #12
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He may not be good on TV (and Murray Wilson mumbles his way through radio broadcasts) but your assessment of Brunet as a player is utterly ridiculous. He was a very smart player with good positional sense and he had scoring ability. His PPG of 0.487 in the regular season and 0.462 in the playoffs is comparable to Carbonneau's 0.503 and 0.402. Unfortunately, Brunet was injury prone, which kept him from doing better offensively.
Sure, whatever. My hatred of him as a commentator has surely clouded my memory. I still remember him as a wimpy 4th liner and he is the worst commentator ever. You would expect him to be somewhat pro Habs and a bit of a homer... actually he is, if the player's name is Serge and not Sergei.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
  #13
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Forget Brunet one second.
Was Sergei good in the past few games ?
NO, he played like crap and yes he took horrible selfish penalties.


Now I just hope you all concentrate your Brunet comments in this thread and stop polluting the GDT's with 30 posts on each of his comments.
Regardless whether Sergei is playing well or not, there is still a clear bias. Also, I'd still rather have a slumping Sergei than a slumping Lats because Sergei is much more versatile, he plays the P.K, the Powerplay, we've seen him play D a couple of times and with a minute left in the game with a 1 goal lead, I wouldn't be afraid to use Sergei.

Yes Sergei hasn't been playing well, but it's his second season in the nhl. All of you were begging last year to be patient with Latendresse because it was his second year so lets please not be hypocrites.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
  #14
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
choice is very clear my friends:

a) Don't watch rds,
b) Watch rds with mute
c) Watch CBC (when game on)
d) Watch Sports Central (when game on)
e) Watch Online (there is always online game available for free)
That's exactly what I do, I've watch probably 6 habs game all season on rds so far compared to watching all 82 games in the previous seasons.

Brunet ruined it for and I'm sure I'm not the only one, he's an embaressment to rds, the organization and the province and it's people like him why others hate us.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
  #15
roy munson
Registered User
 
roy munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Agreed on most points. What gets on my nerve the most though, is the way he uses french pronounciation no matter where the player's from...: Serge, André... soon, we'll hear him call them Serge and André Couture... Not sure he'd be happy being called 'Benny Alittlebrown'.

I appreciate the effort he's putting in, but it's not nearly enough. My vote still goes to Dany Dubé. At least try Joel, he's doing a bangup job right now and is always relevant.

roy munson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
  #16
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
You guys are ridiculous and way off here. The fact is that those French guys are at the moment the better players on the team while the eastern european forwards are playing like crap. Brunet is just calling it like every non-hfboard with eurostar goggles on sees it (most people here are obsessive retard fans who know **** all about hockey).

He was praising Andrei last night when he finally stepped up, and he's always got praise for Koivu and Markov who are also playing well.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
  #17
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
I guess no one wants to say it, but I wonder if any current Hab has this type of mindset.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
  #18
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Agreed on most points. What gets on my nerve the most though, is the way he uses french pronounciation no matter where the player's from...: Serge, André... soon, we'll hear him call them Serge and André Couture... Not sure he'd be happy being called 'Benny Alittlebrown'.
yea I've thought the same too.. it's insulting to the player imo. I wouldn't like being called Pasquale.

His man love for Lats and any other Quebecer player is getting annoying. Stop calling them by their first names too..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:48 AM
  #19
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Regardless whether Sergei is playing well or not, there is still a clear bias. Also, I'd still rather have a slumping Sergei than a slumping Lats because Sergei is much more versatile, he plays the P.K, the Powerplay, we've seen him play D a couple of times and with a minute left in the game with a 1 goal lead, I wouldn't be afraid to use Sergei.

Yes Sergei hasn't been playing well, but it's his second season in the nhl. All of you were begging last year to be patient with Latendresse because it was his second year so lets please not be hypocrites.
Why do I have the feeling that every single freaking thread about every single subject slowly but surely transforms into a Latendresse bashing thread ?

This has nothing to do with Latendresse.
Right now Sergei is awful and still gets way too much ice time in my opinion.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
  #20
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,332
vCash: 500
And for the record I'm no Brunet fan but I tend to not pull my hair and cry like a little girl (Pleks ?) each time he says something.

I prefer to focus on what's going on the ice.

I'm way more annoyed by the fact that we still miss a lot of faceoffs on RDS.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:55 AM
  #21
C4KOMI
 
C4KOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
i remember him as a player, he never completed a full season always injured half the season.
never got criticized in his career and was loved by french media.
but worse than kostysyn bothers was O'Byrne who was made fun of so much in the media this week for scoring in his own net.


Last edited by C4KOMI: 11-30-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: sentence
C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:03 PM
  #22
HabFan1975
Registered User
 
HabFan1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Gatineau
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
At first I kinda preferred him over Yvon but now specially with the French thing he is getting on my nerves big time.
Bouillon gives the winning goal to Washington and he defends him automatically saying it was a good play by the Washington player.
Bouillon gives a 2 on 1 in the Buffalo game and he is sayin it's Lang fault because he didnt back check, and praises Guillaume back check when he took a penalty on the play
Andrei K. has been our best forward for the past 4 games or so and he is still on his case.
Mute is the way to go for me from now on.

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:08 PM
  #23
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He may not be good on TV (and Murray Wilson mumbles his way through radio broadcasts) but your assessment of Brunet as a player is utterly ridiculous. He was a very smart player with good positional sense and he had scoring ability. His PPG of 0.487 in the regular season and 0.462 in the playoffs is comparable to Carbonneau's 0.503 and 0.402. Unfortunately, Brunet was injury prone, which kept him from doing better offensively.
Brunet was not a defensive specialist, so his and Carbo's point total can not be compared.

He had some good potential, but never lived up to it due to his injuries. At the end of his career, he was becoming quite bad.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
  #24
Macs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
First, I don't understand why he was hired

I also don't understand why RDS doesn't see that he just can't do the job right now. Even Pierre Houde seems to be uncomfortable with Brunet.

But, if you look at RDS current hockey analysis, (Chantelois and his sideshow, Gaston Therrien, Flynn...) well Brunet is a perfect fit...

Edit: BTW, except the fact Brunet was a fourth line player, (which affects his vision/analysis of the game), we should not talk about his hockey career... It's just not the point of this thread...

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:48 PM
  #25
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
never liked him as a commentator either.

met him once in person and what do you know he passed off as being a jerk to me (maybe I caught him on a bad day...but still)

Lafleur & to my surprise Stephane Richer were really nice

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.