HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle

Old
11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Charlie18

vCash: 500
Matt Carle

Matt Carle.

What do you guys think so far?

Potential top 2? 2nd pairing? Should be playing for the Phantoms?

Charlie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:47 AM
dawkins121

I think that besides maybe Timonen he has been the best outlet passer we have. Clearing the zone has always seemed like such a problem for the Flyers and he seems to excel at it.

I'd say that, his fairly solid defensive play, and his good skating ability make him a pretty solid 2nd pairing guy which is exactly what we needed coming into the season.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
smacklby

i think he's an upgrade over Jones, especially given Jones' price tag.... i also think it means we do not need Jones anymore, and that he should be traded.

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
How many years are left on his contract? Would be nice to have him around for awhile.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

I am satisfied.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:08 PM
miltons rules

so far so good looks like a good pick up, I believe he is our 2nd best Dman, takes some of the pressure off sbisa.

miltons rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
tytech

In short, good first pass, good powerplay, unfortuantely there's turnovers in the defensive zone.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i was one of the fans leery of trading downie, but he's impressed me so far. needs to put up more points considering his ice time but so far, i've been happy with his play. good to have someone take some of the burden off of timonen.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
carle's the ****. i like him.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:26 PM
chaosof99*

He's played very well so far. Blocking shots, saving our ass by clearing the puck. He even scored the goal yesterday when he was actually trying to get to the bench but skated back when he saw the play developing.

I think he had a subtle but nonetheless fundamental hand in the recent success we had. In the 9 games he played so far for us he has a goal and an assist and worked himself up to +5. The 9 games were seven +1 performances and two -1 performances. The two -1 were the loss to Tampa, his first game for us, and the game against Pittsburgh. Basically, when we won, Carle was +1.

At the very least he is certainly a steep improvement over Eminger.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Carle has been fabulous. I think he's finally found a place where he's comfortable and it seems like he's playing a simple game and more importantly, is playing within his ability. He's not trying to do too much and I think that's been one thing that has been overlooked. He makes the routine play, he's made fabulous defensive plays and just looks really good out there. I know people might not hold much stock in this, but the team really started to turn it around when he came on board. Coincidence?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Raffl House

If you are not sure how I think about him based on my name change, then I'm not sure how else to tell you.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:47 PM
JSTAFF

Carle has looked really good out there in my opinion. I think he really has helped our defensive core. Its going to be an interesting decision when Jones/Parent come back to figure out who doesn'nt make the cut.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
phlocky

First off, Happy Thaknsgiving everyone. I'll be going over to my dads soon with my kids for dinner but I should be on later.

Carle has been very good for us. He reads the developing play better than everyonw on the blueline except Timonen. When there is a potential problem that could lead to a scoring chance against he's quick to react and cover the problem. This is something that often goes unnoticed by most and if you listen to our announcers it's one of the greatest things that Timonen does so well that makes him so dan good. Carle isn't as good at it as Timonen but he's certainly our next best and it's really cut down the scoring chances against on our 2nd pairing. THIS is immensely valuable and doesn't get the recognition it diserves. His play in this area is a HUGE reason why he and everyone else has improved their +/-.

Carle does have turnovers in his own zone but no more so that Sbisa, Coburn, Vannanen or anyone esle not named Timonen. However, Carle is VERY good at getting back on the puck and usually covers his mistake himself. Many of the times that he turns the puck over in his own zone he steals it right back again and gets it out of the zone.

I don't know how many of you have noticed but it seems that right around the time we aquired Carle we changed our philosophy in our defensive zone. We are playing completely different. Our forwards use to try and hang around th blue line looking ofr the outlet pass and the odd man rush. We rarely had 2 forwards inside the circles to help out down low but now the forwards are dropping down low to help out. Also, instead of taking off as soon as the defense gets possession, the forwards are coming back to collect a pass from the defenders while still in our zone. We often make a pass from the defense, to a forward and then to another forward all before we cross our own blue line. THAT'S what good teams do, that's what the Wings did last year to win the cup. It's almost like Stevens suddenly opened his eyes and saw that his system doesn't work and decided to copy the Wings' system or Holmgren pulled him aside and TOLD him how to coach or he's fired or something. Either way, we are playing MUCH better team defense and we've learned that our offense doesn't suffer even while doing this. Carle has certainly been a big factor in our recent winning streak but our change to a TEAM defense is the biggest reason for it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?us...0&post_id=6740

Here is the blog I wrote about him. I love this trade more and more each day.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:52 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carle has been fabulous. I think he's finally found a place where he's comfortable and it seems like he's playing a simple game and more importantly, is playing within his ability. He's not trying to do too much and I think that's been one thing that has been overlooked. He makes the routine play, he's made fabulous defensive plays and just looks really good out there. I know people might not hold much stock in this, but the team really started to turn it around when he came on board. Coincidence?
i think not; his puck moving skills and the team's need for them on a 2nd defensive pairing has been a big difference, and a key component which was missing prior to his coming here....

Old
11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?us...0&post_id=6740

Here is the blog I wrote about him. I love this trade more and more each day.
i hate that place; and until MJL is gone, for good, i'm NOT going back!

Old
11-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Always supported this trade, and I love it now too. If I weren't completely set on getting a Carter jersey, I may consider Carle too.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
First off, Happy Thaknsgiving everyone. I'll be going over to my dads soon with my kids for dinner but I should be on later.

Carle has been very good for us. He reads the developing play better than everyonw on the blueline except Timonen. When there is a potential problem that could lead to a scoring chance against he's quick to react and cover the problem. This is something that often goes unnoticed by most and if you listen to our announcers it's one of the greatest things that Timonen does so well that makes him so dan good. Carle isn't as good at it as Timonen but he's certainly our next best and it's really cut down the scoring chances against on our 2nd pairing. THIS is immensely valuable and doesn't get the recognition it diserves. His play in this area is a HUGE reason why he and everyone else has improved their +/-.

Carle does have turnovers in his own zone but no more so that Sbisa, Coburn, Vannanen or anyone esle not named Timonen. However, Carle is VERY good at getting back on the puck and usually covers his mistake himself. Many of the times that he turns the puck over in his own zone he steals it right back again and gets it out of the zone.

I don't know how many of you have noticed but it seems that right around the time we aquired Carle we changed our philosophy in our defensive zone. We are playing completely different. Our forwards use to try and hang around th blue line looking ofr the outlet pass and the odd man rush. We rarely had 2 forwards inside the circles to help out down low but now the forwards are dropping down low to help out. Also, instead of taking off as soon as the defense gets possession, the forwards are coming back to collect a pass from the defenders while still in our zone. We often make a pass from the defense, to a forward and then to another forward all before we cross our own blue line. THAT'S what good teams do, that's what the Wings did last year to win the cup. It's almost like Stevens suddenly opened his eyes and saw that his system doesn't work and decided to copy the Wings' system or Holmgren pulled him aside and TOLD him how to coach or he's fired or something. Either way, we are playing MUCH better team defense and we've learned that our offense doesn't suffer even while doing this. Carle has certainly been a big factor in our recent winning streak but our change to a TEAM defense is the biggest reason for it.
Excellent post
Our defenders have the talent, but we're playing sounder defensive hockey as a team, not because of any one individual.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Carle has looked really good out there in my opinion. I think he really has helped our defensive core. Its going to be an interesting decision when Jones/Parent come back to figure out who doesn'nt make the cut.
yep; and i hope they don't screw it up and trade the wrong player(s)...! just sayin.... the defense has been playing good, lately, since the Carle trade; the team is right smack up against the cap, so they don't have much room to work with as far as brining Jones back into the lineup, without someone(s) else going out on IR or being moved.... things could get very trickey, and i hope the organization makes the best of it....

Old
11-27-2008, 02:14 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

yep. happy thanksgiving!

With the addition of Carle, we also added more puck moving skills to our blue line, skills Eminger only dreamed of having.... with those skills, the d-men are capable of passing OR skating their way out of the d-zone.... the forwards are NOT looking for the chip out, but rather the pass out, or they are looking to come up the ice as a 5 man unit.... maybe there has been a change in coaching philosophy, maybe by Stevens or by Homer's advise, but by adding Carle we added a player who enables the coach to change the philosophy to one which is more effective at moving the puck from defense to offense....

Old
11-27-2008, 02:25 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
i think he's an upgrade over Jones, especially given Jones' price tag.... i also think it means we do not need Jones anymore, and that he should be traded.
If it's just to get rid of Jones contract, then I agree, but despite the improved play I'd still take Randy over Alberts.

Carle has been very good in both zones. He's not a defensive defenseman and it shows, but he's a new-NHL type player who can make great outlet passes and can carry the puck, and can also jump up in the play very smoothly. Because of his defensive liabilities he won't be a top pair guy just yet, but I could see that changing in the future.

I know a lot of people were high on Downie, but personally I think we robbed another team of another young stud defenseman.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:42 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
If it's just to get rid of Jones contract, then I agree, but despite the improved play I'd still take Randy over Alberts.

Carle has been very good in both zones. He's not a defensive defenseman and it shows, but he's a new-NHL type player who can make great outlet passes and can carry the puck, and can also jump up in the play very smoothly. Because of his defensive liabilities he won't be a top pair guy just yet, but I could see that changing in the future.

I know a lot of people were high on Downie, but personally I think we robbed another team of another young stud defenseman.
there are several reason why i like Alberts over Jones:
1: size, and physical presence in the d-zone
2: he is equally able to transition the puck from defense to offense, although Jones is probably the better skater and a little bit more agile.
3: he is, overall, a better defensive defenseman than Jones.
4: Timonen, Carle, Coburn and Sbisa are all very good puck moving, skating-style defenseman with offensive savy; Vanannen and Alberts are steady defenders with good size, and given the current core of defenseman, equally effective at moving the puck from offense to defense; they are also able to chip in some offensively, although their offensive skills aren't as developed as those other guys; but that does not mean they arent able to improve in those offensive areas of their game....

Old
11-27-2008, 02:50 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I love Matt Carle. That play he had with Gags last night was A-MAZING.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:14 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I love Matt Carle. That play he had with Gags last night was A-MAZING.
Hey, don't forget Sbisa's defensive play that set it all up.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote