HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early mid-season player grades

Old
12-13-2008, 12:32 AM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Early mid-season player grades

Gomez - contrary to the delusional ideas of many, Gomez has been consistently good all along. He's not a d-man; if he turns the puck over, the d-men have to take care of it, not his job. His job is to do what he does so well---penetrate deep and feed. Not his fault none of our wingers can hang with him. A-

Drury - we're all upset about the $7M... but at this point, I'd be upset if it was $3.5-4M. He has not been any better than Matt Cullen or Mike York (actually, York was better at some points). C-

Dubinsky - he's going so hard to the net, trying to lift the team. He's still learning, and can't be faulted. C+

Betts - (copied and pasted from TSN player report): Blair Betts... ok... cool, I guess. C

Naslund - our best LW and a smart player so far. A-

Dawes - becoming a tragedy, but let's give him a while. C-

Voros - can be a good PF when he wants to be. C+

Korpikoski - inexperienced, young, fast, good energy/effort. C

Prucha - F

Zherdev - our best forward so far... had 1 off game so far. A-

Sjostrom - you put Callahan with Gomez... hell, you put Dawes with Gomkez... give Sjostrom a shot already. A-

Callahan - really seems to know how to get into scoring position. Best forechecker there is. Can't do it on his own. B

Orr - surprising overall, but should he really get 10+ minutes per-game? Come on, now. C+

Fritsche - shame, I thought he'd get a shot at the top-six... haven't seen him much.

Redden - offense is gone, defense WAS good. Now what? I say scratch him 1 or 2 games. C-

Girardi - could be a lot worse, pretty solid. B

Staal - best d-man so far. A

Rozsival - I was big supporter, but I think it's time to part ways. Still a good guy, and I'd wish him well. D

Kalinin - the +/- is not a telling stat in this case... with a few bad showings, he's been pretty damn good so far, and I really thought Sam Weinman was smarter than to pick on Kalinin of all guys. B-

Mara - B

Lundqvist - best in the NHL when he's on, but every now and then, he's pretty average. When you let in eight goals, you can't blame it all on the D. B+

Valiquette - pretty good back-up, the team tries harder when he plays. B-

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Gomez - contrary to the delusional ideas of many, Gomez has been consistently good all along. He's not a d-man; if he turns the puck over, the d-men have to take care of it, not his job. His job is to do what he does so well---penetrate deep and feed. Not his fault none of our wingers can hang with him. A-

Drury - we're all upset about the $7M... but at this point, I'd be upset if it was $3.5-4M. He has not been any better than Matt Cullen or Mike York (actually, York was better at some points). C-

Dubinsky - he's going so hard to the net, trying to lift the team. He's still learning, and can't be faulted. C+

Betts - (copied and pasted from TSN player report): Blair Betts... ok... cool, I guess. C

Prucha - F

Sjostrom - you put Callahan with Gomez... hell, you put Dawes with Gomkez... give Sjostrom a shot already. A-

Callahan - really seems to know how to get into scoring position. Best forechecker there is. Can't do it on his own. B

Orr - surprising overall, but should he really get 10+ minutes per-game? Come on, now. C+

Fritsche - shame, I thought he'd get a shot at the top-six... haven't seen him much.

Redden - offense is gone, defense WAS good. Now what? I say scratch him 1 or 2 games. C-

Rozsival - I was big supporter, but I think it's time to part ways. Still a good guy, and I'd wish him well. D

Kalinin - the +/- is not a telling stat in this case... with a few bad showings, he's been pretty damn good so far, and I really thought Sam Weinman was smarter than to pick on Kalinin of all guys. B-
Mara - B

Lundqvist - best in the NHL when he's on, but every now and then, he's pretty average. When you let in eight goals, you can't blame it all on the D. B+

If Kalinin gets a B-, I think I would be able to get at least a passing grade if I suited up for the Rangers

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I disagree with almost 85%. Especially the Betts and Kalinin ones.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
BobMarleyNYR

well, he's a no. 6 d-man, what has he done wrong?

Old
12-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:

Prucha - F

Mara - B

Ah, I see. So, how's bizarro world working out for you?

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:43 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
I disagree with almost 85%. Especially the Betts and Kalinin ones.
Ok. Why Betts? He's C... C = average... could you call him any more?

Old
12-13-2008, 12:53 AM
levski87

Quote:
Blair Betts is Chris Drury, 7 mill dollars cheaper.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Shake and Bake

Betts performs his role to a T...Kalinin flat out BLOWS...Notice whenever he is on the ice, there is a defensive breakdown that leads to a goal against....Tomm night, watch Kalinin closely everytime he is on the ice...Some people don't realize how bad he is because he hasn't had as many brutal turnovers as he had in the first few games of the year....However, he makes so many poor decisions throughout the course of a game...Whether it is a pinch in the offensive zone when noone is there, or not getting the puck out of the zone when he has a chance to....For a guy that doesn't produce offensively and hasn't scored a single goal all year, he certainly pinches in a lot...He contributes to a lot of odd man rushes against that have killed this team time and time again...His defensive coverage in his own zone during set plays are putrid too....There is a reason why he is a minus 14 or whatever it is now

Old
12-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
So if C equals average, does that mean you think Kalinin has performed as a better than average player so far?

Old
12-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
So if C equals average, does that mean you think Kalinin has performed as a better than average player so far?
At least I can now use this thread as a barometer in which to futher measure OP in the future... and you know... assume he's out of his mind at the onset... like Jorts or some such.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:23 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Gomez - B

Drury - C-

Dubinsky - C+

Betts - B+

Naslund - B+

Dawes - D

Voros - C+

Korpikoski - D+

Prucha - D

Zherdev - A-

Sjostrom - B

Callahan - B

Orr - B-

Fritsche - F

Redden - D

Girardi - B+

Staal - B+

Rozsival - D+

Kalinin - D+

Mara - B-

Lundqvist - A-

Valiquette - B-

Renney - C

Pearn - F

Sather - C- (+ = Zherdev, Näslund, Voros, RFA signings... - = Redden, Rismiller, Rozsival, Kalinin)

Zamboni guy - F

So far guys. So far

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 01:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Yeah, I'm going to have agree with the other responses and say I disagree with at least 1/2 of these.

Gomez: Has been terrible far more often than he hasn't. C

Drury: I loved the guy and was a big defender, but his performance this season is not acceptable. I'm not saying he doesn't try, I know he does, but it isn't enough right now. C-

Lundqvist: He's had a couple bad games, but almost every game this team leaves him at the mercy of the enemy. Embarrassing. He's a phenomenal goaltender, though top shelf is still a bit of a weakness. A-

Zherdev: He's been very, very good. Especially when you consider he's far more talented than practically everyone on the team. Still needs to work on some stuff, but he's been awesome. They better hold on to him. A-

Naslund: He seems to be getting better and better, actually, but he still is invisible much of the time. But, he does score more than anyone else. B

Staal: Not much offense yet, but his defense is becoming stellar. A-

Dubinsky: I can't understand it. He looks like a completely different player than the way he did early in the season and last year. He was dominant early on. You can still see traces of that in his game now, but it's like he isn't putting it altogether. I still say he should be playing with Zherdev. C

Girardi: His progress seems to have stalled a bit (though it is still exceptional), but that may be due to the fact that the team is terrible. B

Rozsival: I didn't hate the guy, but I never thought he was a top pairing d-man and was extremely disappointed with the contract given to him. As I expected, he's been awful. It might not be as noticeable because you also have Kalinin and Redden, but Rozsival has been garbage most nights this season. D

Kalinin: In his own zone, he is a mess. It's really frightening when he handles the puck deep in his own zone, he's just so prone to making the wrong decision. He's a little better offensively, but Potter, in the pre-season and that one game a week ago, looked no worse. They should deal him at the deadline for whatever they can get. C-

Voros: Inconsistent. Sometimes good, sometimes does absolutely nothing. Also, one of the worst fighters of all time. C+

Betts: Much like Staal, you just wish there was a little bit of offense there at this point. But he does his job better than almost anyone on the team. B+

Orr: Overall, I have been disappointed with the loss of physicality, fighting excluded, that Orr has shown, I suppose as a result of his attention to defensive responsibilities. Lately though, he's been more like the Orr of old. B-

Redden: He has been, simply put, horrible. He plays with no passion. He is terrible defensively in transition. He always gets beat to pucks, and he hasn't helped our power play very much, has he? D-

Sjostrom: He does deserve more playing time, but to be fair, he doesn't show much skill offensively. B

Callahan: Keep hoping he'll turn the corner and start scoring more, but for what he is, he's great. On a good team, he'd be a fantastic 3rd liner. Hopefully, he's a career Ranger. B+

Dawes: Horrid. 'Nuff said. D+

Korpikoski: He always tries, but the flashes of offense he showed in pre-season and earlier in the season are not there lately. He's decent defensively, but you can see he's a rookie. C

Mara: He's okay. But he's not great, he has a booming shot but he almost never shoots and when he does he couldn't hit the net if his life depended on it. He's not bad defensively, but he still makes a decent amount of mistakes. Earlier in the season, I was hoping they'd re-sign him. Now, I'm not so sure. B-

Valliquette: He's decent, but there are far better back ups. B-

Prucha: Not really enough time to judge, but basically... D+

Fritsche: Not enough time.

Renney: Been defending him a bunch over the years too, but I'm losing my patience with him. C-

Pearn: Atrocious power play. F

Sather: Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rozsival, Kalinin are all terrible decisions. I like Zherdev and some of the young guys, but overall, when you look at the big picture, Sather took this team down the wrong path. This team is in trouble. D

Last edited by NYR Sting: 12-13-2008 at 01:45 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 02:43 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
At least I can now use this thread as a barometer in which to futher measure OP in the future... and you know... assume he's out of his mind at the onset... like Jorts or some such.
Cute.

Were you searching for that all along, a way to measure "OP?" Which I'm assuming means "other poster" to the rest of the world that doesn't take hockey message boards so seriously. I am very help you on your sad, little quest.

Seriously it's one thing to disagree, as most people have, but how dare you respond to me like that? And then comparing to a poster many regarded as an imbecile?

Intenet communication never ceases to amaze me. That said, without the keyboard and monitor, I bet you wouldn't be so pompous.

Old
12-13-2008, 02:54 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
I see what you mean, and that's why it's misleading; I guess you need to grade guys according to their roles, and do so with consistency. In that case, Betts is an A- as a fourth line C.

With Kalinin, maybe I'm wrong (watch the testosterone drain ), but I think he's been good up until recently.

Old
12-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Cute.

Were you searching for that all along, a way to measure "OP?" Which I'm assuming means "other poster" to the rest of the world that doesn't take hockey message boards so seriously. I am very help you on your sad, little quest.

Seriously it's one thing to disagree, as most people have, but how dare you respond to me like that? And then comparing to a poster many regarded as an imbecile?

Intenet communication never ceases to amaze me. That said, without the keyboard and monitor, I bet you wouldn't be so pompous.
Its original poster... everybody knows that.

Regardless, you're the one getting all pissed at the fact we basically all think your assessment is ridiculously offbase. Be as pissed as you want about what I say, but its true.

The last two assessments are FAR more accurate.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gomez - F

Drury - F

Dubinsky - C-

Betts - A

Naslund - B-

Dawes - F

Voros - C

Korpikoski - D+

Prucha - INC

Zherdev - B+

Sjostrom - C-

Callahan - C

Orr - C

Fritsche - F-

Redden - F

Girardi - B+

Staal - B+

Rozsival - D

Kalinin - D-

Mara - C+

Lundqvist - A+

Valiquette - B-

Renney - T (Harry Potter Reference)

Pearn - T

Sather - B+ (I like the team as assembled)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 05:30 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Gomez - F

Drury - F

Dubinsky - C-

Betts - A

Naslund - B-

Dawes - F

Voros - C

Korpikoski - D+

Prucha - INC

Zherdev - B+

Sjostrom - C-

Callahan - C

Orr - C

Fritsche - F-

Redden - F

Girardi - B+

Staal - B+

Rozsival - D

Kalinin - D-

Mara - C+

Lundqvist - A+

Valiquette - B-

Pearn - T

So, in other words, the players are a horror show but you like the team as assembled?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 05:36 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Gomez - F

Drury - F

Dubinsky - C-

Betts - A

Naslund - B-

Dawes - F

Voros - C

Korpikoski - D+

Prucha - INC

Zherdev - B+

Sjostrom - C-

Callahan - C

Orr - C

Fritsche - F-

Redden - F

Girardi - B+

Staal - B+

Rozsival - D

Kalinin - D-

Mara - C+

Lundqvist - A+

Valiquette - B-

Pearn - T

Inferno, I like your passion as always. I think your grades are a bit based on salary related expectations and then I would more or less agree to your irrevokable judgement. Mine were more based on each players actual play (I have watched all but 4-5 games) and not what expectations one might have due to previous play, % of the total payrole, mediahype, fan discussions... So maybe your POV and way of looking at it is the better one ?
Regardless - there are imo 2 ways of setting standards and grades. That is what I am somewhat awkwardly trying to say. Make any sense?

Old
12-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Sheriff

Tryin to be as objective as I can, regardless of my personal favs:

A+/A: none

A-: Zherdev, Girardi

B+: Lundqvist, Staal, Mara

B: Gomez, Betts, Naslund, Callahan

B-: Sjostrom, Valiquette

C: Orr, Voros, Dubinsky

D: Drury, Redden, Korpikoski, Fritsche, Prucha, Dawes

F: Kalinin, Roszival

Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 07:49 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Inferno, I like your passion as always. I think your grades are a bit based on salary related expectations and then I would more or less agree to your irrevokable judgement. Mine were more based on each players actual play (I have watched all but 4-5 games) and not what expectations one might have due to previous play, % of the total payrole, mediahype, fan discussions... So maybe your POV and way of looking at it is the better one ?
Regardless - there are imo 2 ways of setting standards and grades. That is what I am somewhat awkwardly trying to say. Make any sense?
Well, his ratings could be based on salary expectations or they could be based on a players role. With the salary comes a larger role on the team. It is fair to judge a player against the set of expectations for his role on the team. Guys getting paid more get played more, therefore you have to expect more from them. For example, do we expect 80+ points from Drury? No. But do we exect solid play, leadership and his customary ~60 points? Yes. He is out there over 20 minutes a game on the PP and he is a -8, on pace for 45 points and in terms of leadership, the team as a whole has struggled and as captain he would be the first to tell you that is a part of his responsibility.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 07:56 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
Well, his ratings could be based on salary expectations or they could be based on a players role. With the salary comes a larger role on the team. It is fair to judge a player against the set of expectations for his role on the team. Guys getting paid more get played more, therefore you have to expect more from them. For example, do we expect 80+ points from Drury? No. But do we exect solid play, leadership and his customary ~60 points? Yes. He is out there over 20 minutes a game on the PP and he is a -8, on pace for 45 points and in terms of leadership, the team as a whole has struggled and as captain he would be the first to tell you that is a part of his responsibility.
You are right on the money. I was cryptically trying to say something like this.

Old
12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

I am grading them on what I expected this year.

Gomez - C - Too average to be a top line man. Fast, too many turnovers, not what I expected. No GRIT!!!!

Drury - D - For a captain not doing his job, would be an F if not for scoring a bit and getting lots of shots.

Dubinsky - A- - Kid gives his all, is relegated to the 3rd line while putting up some points, for a 3rd line center he is doing really good.

Betts - B- - Doing good for a 4th liner. What I expected from him.

Naslund - B+ - Better than I expected but not the shot of life I expected to be injected to the lineup. As a vet is very soft spoken, and as a former captain I would expect more.

Dawes - D - I blame Tom Renney for this grade. He was unable to coax good play and put him in a position to succeed.

Voros - A+ - Way more than I expected, good puck control skills along the boards, gets in front of the net, would help if his team took good shots and another player patrolled the crease with him.

Korpikoski - C - Good plays, young, first year so can't expect too much, Renney is to blame for not getting more out of this speedster.

Prucha - B- - Better than I expected from last year. Playing a more physical game, throwing the body around, generating scoring chances. Some extended time on a solid line would help. Renneys misuse of him is a ploy to get him to go down to hartford.

Zherdev - A+ - Wow not a jagr but WOW. This kid plays well, needs a mentor to show him how to play at the "next level".

Sjostrom - B- - Only because he has been on the 4th line so much. For the role he has been given he has done his job.

Callahan - B - Didnt' expect this much jump out of him, but he is playing a gritty style with Drury now. If only he had someone who could get him good passes for some quality shots.

Orr - C- -oing what's asked of him,but his skating is still a weakness that needs to be worked on.

Fritsche - F - This is Renneys fault, how do you trade Tyuts away explicitly say you wanted this guy, and then don't play him at all.

Redden - C- - Not what I expected but with the whole D playing like poopoo, what do you expect. Can't shoot from the point well when your forwards don't move.

Girardi - A- - Better than last season,slow improvements and plays with poise, could use a physical guy to play with him. I wonder if Kaspar is still around...lol.

Staal - B+ - Solid improvement,wish he would shoot more and sneak in from the point. He is a Staal afterall, those guys are all gifted with the scorers touch. Maybe try him as a forward, LW maybe..

Rozsival - F- - Sorry too many minutes for this guy, and his shot is now as unaccurate as ever. Renney's fault for overplaying this guy.

Kalinin - F- - Bad play, no hitting, too many penalties. This guy needs to be pissed, someone should go break his favorite stick or say something nasty to him in Russian. Renney's fault for not getting him to play that way.

Mara - A+ - Gritty, shoots, makes decent passes, sometimes has a defensive gaffe but it happens, doesn't give up on the play and has done everything asked of him.

Lundqvist - C - Has showed that when he needs to make a big play on a defensive gaffe that he can't. He plays so well positionally that he looks stellar, but when a big acrobatic save needs to be made or his reflexes need to save the day, its just not there. He gets himself where he covers 90% of the net, but he isn't fast enough to snap out a glove or foot for that last 10%. Watch him, you will see what I am talking about. The defensive system is what's making him look good.

Valiquette - A+ - Always plays consistanly above average. More playing time would give him more developement, reminds me of Glen Healy. Doesn't play positionally well but uses his reflexes to get the hard ones.

Renney - FF- - Lost the faith of the fans. Does not adjust well or make adjustments on the fly well. Can't find line combos for 3 years, and still trusts pearn.

Pearn - D- - Does this guy even know what a zamboni is? The players don't know what's going on, but in his defense, they never practice the power play...and guess whose fault that is...(please see Renney section)

Sather - C- - Could be an A but the bad free agent signings bring this down. He has stocked the system and put coaches in place at the AHL level that are developing these players really really well. But at the NHL level his loyalty to Renney costs him. You could say, +s are the FAs and trades that brought us good players is then offset by the bad players. He's 50/50 with that right now.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 09:56 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
I am grading them on what I expected this year.
Fritsche - F - This is Renneys fault, how do you trade Tyuts away explicitly say you wanted this guy, and then don't play him at all.

Kalinin - F- - Bad play, no hitting, too many penalties. This guy needs to be pissed, someone should go break his favorite stick or say something nasty to him in Russian. Renney's fault for not getting him to play that way.

Lundqvist - C - Has showed that when he needs to make a big play on a defensive gaffe that he can't. He plays so well positionally that he looks stellar, but when a big acrobatic save needs to be made or his reflexes need to save the day, its just not there. He gets himself where he covers 90% of the net, but he isn't fast enough to snap out a glove or foot for that last 10%. Watch him, you will see what I am talking about. The defensive system is what's making him look good.

Valiquette - A+ - Always plays consistanly above average. More playing time would give him more developement, reminds me of Glen Healy. Doesn't play positionally well but uses his reflexes to get the hard ones.
1) Tyutin was not traded for Fritsche. He was traded for Zherdev. Fritsche was traded for Backman.

2) How is it Renney's fault that Kalinin is playing the same way he's played his entire career?

3) You think the defensive system is making Lundqvist look good? Funny, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

4) Glenn Healy: 5'10", Steve Valiquette: 6'6". Don't really see the similarities in their play.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 10:36 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I don't see how you can give Prucha a grade when he has barely played. Henrik should have an A. Yes he gave up 8 goals last night but how many of those were because of defensive faults? He can't be world class every single game. The defense has to help this guy out and maybe having him back there is making them too relaxed. The 3 goals scored after the Rangers tied it were all a result of the Rangers turning it over.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I would make changes to the following:
and i added a little comment after the things i changed...in bold.

Gomez - B+
-He has only picked it up as of late, he started off horribly.

Drury F
-He has been so invisible

Dubinsky - C+

Betts - B
-same ****
Naslund - . A-

Dawes - C-

Voros - C+
B
- i think we're giving him too much credit. Hes a decent grinder. That start was a bit flooky.

Korpikoski - C

Prucha - N/A
He has been completely chinced by Renney. He has had games this yr, where I'm like wow, if he actually got playing time maybe he would be good.

Zherdev - A+
Career highs

Sjostrom -
B+
-okay hes looked good but the only game changing stuff has come from his shoot out.

Callahan - A-
-Excellent at his job. Shouldn't be playing second line though.

Orr - B
-Best he has ever looked

Fritsche -
F

nothing special at all.
Redden - B-
has had off games, but his offense is coming together a bit.

Girardi - A
Our best defensemen IMO

Staal - B
He hasn't shown to be amazing yet but he hasn't been given the opportunity to

Rozsival - C
Meh he has been bad defensively. I still think he can turn it around. I'd rather have him traded.

Kalinin - C Has looked bad. Rozi has made him look worse

Mara A- Pretty gritty lately. I like it.

Lundqvist - B+

Valiquette - B-

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote